Forum Settings
Forums

do you find anime fans to be generally less intelligent than other fandoms?

New
Do you find anime fans to be generally less intelligent than other fandoms?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 30, 2014 9:43 PM

Dec 2012
Nyron said:
opondica said:

Man, I'm so envious. I wish I were a smart and skilled nerd like you. Is there anything I can do to better myself as an anime fan aside from learning C++?

Please, teach me Nyron-sama. I just want to be worthy of the original, real fans of this form of entertainment.

pfff i don't know how to program anything

but yeah you gave FLCL a 4 and your list is all shows where the girls look like pastel gremlins

That just shows a lack of being able to understand anything more complex than a TV commercial, which is low-IQ

sorry mate
you're beyond my healing touch

But I want to try anyways! What can I do to become like you?

How do I cure myself of my terrible shit taste and learn to experience truly intellectual anime like FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, or Michiko to Hatachin? And if I do, will senpai finally notice me?
Jul 30, 2014 9:44 PM

Oct 2012
Idk, I've only seen One Direction/Justin Bieber fandoms in action... and umm, let's just say anime fans tend to be a little bit smarter than them.
Jul 30, 2014 9:50 PM

Aug 2009
Hahaha, I agree with u kalypze.
Jul 30, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
Not necessarily less intelligent, but some are pretty screwed in the head for seashore
Jul 30, 2014 10:07 PM

Sep 2013
All fans are the same.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 30, 2014 10:18 PM

Jan 2014
Where's the No option?
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jul 30, 2014 10:24 PM
Jul 2014
I would like to say yes, but I think were all a little weird and delusional.

Most people I've met that like anime can at least hold a conversation.
Jul 30, 2014 10:45 PM

Jul 2012
Well...at least not with there money, I think other fandoms unless they dress up have to spend a bit less, I mean some figures cost $100+ dollars.
Jul 30, 2014 10:53 PM

Sep 2012
Lol, anime fans are getting stupid because not only nerd weirdos are anime fans any more.

Ok Op.
Jul 30, 2014 11:02 PM

Jun 2012
skyzblue said:
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Make a niqqer wanna run straight through the fence.
Red_Keys said:
Lol, anime fans are getting stupid because not only nerd weirdos are anime fans any more.

Ok Op.
The nerd otaku need something to pick at less they'd be overrun by those of us who might not have twelve hours a day to watch watered down saturday morning cartoons in our parents basements.
OchimushaJul 30, 2014 11:05 PM
Jul 30, 2014 11:49 PM

Jun 2014
Rivalrun said:
I wouldn't say that. But I have noticed that a lot of anime fans from the West are ignorant as fuck about anime and how the industry works. I just think it's weird how some people claim to be "obsessed" with something and not really know anything about it. I've come across so many self-proclaimed "hardcore" anime fans who think demographics are genres, moe is "killing the industry", SoL = little girls sitting around and talking, sexual fanservice is the only form of fanservice, ect.

Well, that's expected from the fact that anime is the product from a culture other than the west so if you consume this cultural product but you are from the west you will certainly tend to understand anime from a different perspective than the Japanese natives.
Jul 30, 2014 11:56 PM

Jun 2014
Shrabster said:
romagia said:
what debates could you have about video games >_>'
None because it's not so much about what the debate is about as much as how it's handled. If the community consisted of something else besides primarily kids and teens maybe it'd be different, but for now I have given up on any video game message board and just occasionally browse them for news.

Old people does not necessarily constitute a better community. In film forums a lot of the participants can be very old, like 50-60's, but when they are old their preferences get extremely biased by the stuff they enjoyed like 30 years old, so that they become cynical, bitter and less enthusiastic to try new stuff. They get very prejudiced as well and so become like "zombies" (for lack of a better word).

I like in MAL the presence of most users from the ages of 15-25 because young people are more open to different stuff and tend to be more enthusiastic, even though they don't have that great "experience", which can actually hurt instead of help many times.
Jul 31, 2014 12:13 AM

Oct 2012
Guaporense said:
Old people does not necessarily constitute a better community. In film forums a lot of the participants can be very old, like 50-60's, but when they are old their preferences get extremely biased by the stuff they enjoyed like 30 years old, so that they become cynical, bitter and less enthusiastic to try new stuff. They get very prejudiced as well and so become like "zombies" (for lack of a better word).

I like in MAL the presence of most users from the ages of 15-25 because young people are more open to different stuff and tend to be more enthusiastic, even though they don't have that great "experience", which can actually hurt instead of help many times.
You're right that age doesn't necessarily mean anything but I also believe the younger the demographic obviously the less mature and more obnoxious as a general rule more so than I believe older automatically means more cynical. There's plenty of "older" people on MAL with shit taste.

Jul 31, 2014 12:25 AM

Oct 2012
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1178493&redirect=1#post120

This guy has something against anime fans, lol.
Jul 31, 2014 2:43 AM

Apr 2012
Well generally yes, but gaming fandoms are even worse. Dunno much about movie fandoms but they are probably on the same level. But go to a tech forum and you will be amazed.
Jul 31, 2014 5:47 AM

Mar 2014
Guaporense said:
Rivalrun said:
I wouldn't say that. But I have noticed that a lot of anime fans from the West are ignorant as fuck about anime and how the industry works. I just think it's weird how some people claim to be "obsessed" with something and not really know anything about it. I've come across so many self-proclaimed "hardcore" anime fans who think demographics are genres, moe is "killing the industry", SoL = little girls sitting around and talking, sexual fanservice is the only form of fanservice, ect.

Well, that's expected from the fact that anime is the product from a culture other than the west so if you consume this cultural product but you are from the west you will certainly tend to understand anime from a different perspective than the Japanese natives.
You missed the entire point of my post. What I'm saying is those type of people aren't as "obsessed" with anime as they think they are. They don't even have general knowledge of anime; shit that someone who calls themselves a fan should know. You don't need to be from Japan to understand that shounen isn't a genre and stuff like that.
Jul 31, 2014 6:46 AM
Jul 2012
Yeah anime fans are some of the dumbest out there. Most of them don't even know about various general or filmic knowledge yet they throw around words like "pretentious" and "not well written". Such close-minded arguments written by people who can't think for themselves are more present in anime fans than everywhere else. Their are so stuck in their bubble that "enjoyment = everything and it's defined by how the show didn't bore me" that they simply can't think outside of the box whatsoever and it's unpossible to have a constructive discussion that way. The "elitists" aren't any better, acting like "pc master race" idiots like it's an actually cool thing to do. Even gamers(which are at their worst atm, I mean twitch chat is literally hell on earth) aren't as bad because you always end up seeing some voice of reason but in anime it's a lot rarer.
Jul 31, 2014 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
All fandoms have their fair share of crazies and nitwits... Unfortunately, as with all things, only the worst stick out. Please do not judge an entire group off the words and actions of a small part of each group.
Jul 31, 2014 9:26 AM

Jul 2010
I can not tell if anime fandom as whole is less intelligent than other fandoms (i'm not part of any other fandom) but people I discuss anime with are mostly 25-35 years old with families and works and they are normal intelligent people which just share same hobby as me and we always have intelligent constructive discussions while respecting each others taste and opinions. But thats mostly in real life and thats someting I wont probably see on the internet nowadays. But it was very common several years ago even on the internet.

We dont have many conventions or such in my country so you wont find anime fans that easily, maybe thats the reason I dont have bad experiences with anime fans irl... its different story on the internet though.
Jul 31, 2014 9:32 AM

May 2013
Not particularly. Like with all fandoms, some fans can be very stubborn when it comes to their opinions, (like, REALLY stubborn) but that's all it is really. I wouldn't say they are any less intelligent than other fandoms, or at least not from what I can tell.
Jul 31, 2014 9:37 AM

Nov 2013
Overall, taste doesn't define intelligence. However, fans of any kind are stubborn as hell.
Jul 31, 2014 9:39 AM

Nov 2013
skyzblue said:
the sky is always darker above.
Jul 31, 2014 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
Kabi-sama said:
skyzblue said:
the sky is always darker above.

The sky is finally blue after watching Inferno Coppu..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 31, 2014 9:49 AM

Mar 2014
all fandoms suck
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 31, 2014 10:11 AM

Oct 2010
The OP is indeed a sample of everything that is wrong with anime fandom today. Circlejerk, nostalgiafagness, generalizations and judgmental high horse attitude. And baiting. Just a lot of baiting.
Jul 31, 2014 10:42 AM
Jan 2014
keragamming said:
@op what made you come to this conclusion?
read the opening post...

I've never been in an anime club, or generally, never joined a community that was in any way related to anime. Except MAL ofc.
Asking for my experiences regarding that topic would be useless.
Concerning MAL, everybody that has been here for a while can draw his own conclusions. I dont find MAL to be particularly intelligent or stupid.
Jul 31, 2014 11:09 AM

Mar 2014
I take back what I said. Anime fans are dumb as fuck.
Jul 31, 2014 11:12 AM

Jan 2014
When anime fans can't use negative sings properly and think 8 is equal to 5, you know what th answer is.

I'm not generalizing, but some anime fans are retarded in the logic department.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2014 12:09 PM

Jun 2008
I can think of "dumber" fans in the video game industry.

*cough* google COD shenanigans *cough*
Jul 31, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
This only applies to SAO fandom
Jul 31, 2014 12:45 PM

Jun 2013
KawaiiGod said:
This only applies to SAO fandom

Yeah, fuck them for having a different opinion than your own! Fuck those losers!
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 31, 2014 1:53 PM

Feb 2014
*sigh* nice job OP, the bait was successful

Jul 31, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2013
Every fandom has stupid people in it. There's always the good side and the stupid side.

I've met cool fans and stupid fans.
Jul 31, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
It's been 2 years and 3 months, have you given up OP or are you just that slow?
Jul 31, 2014 2:01 PM

Sep 2009
every fandom has its share of the unproductive.
(and then i noticed that this is one of the options of the poll; good original saspra, you loser)

a generally successful person is just as likely to enjoy anime as an unsuccessful one, and the same thing goes for pretty much every other interest out there.
Jul 31, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2010
Every fandom has their crazies and nitwits, but at least we are not as bad as the gamer community.
Jul 31, 2014 5:10 PM

Mar 2014
TripleSRank said:
There are plenty of intelligent people who like anime. It just depends on who you talk to and hang around.

You'll find less intelligent people everywhere. It's not limited to the anime/manga fandom.

I feel like captain obvious right now. -.-

This discussion should have ended after that.
Jul 31, 2014 8:12 PM

Oct 2012
jal90 said:
The OP is indeed a sample of everything that is wrong with anime fandom today. Circlejerk, nostalgiafagness, generalizations and judgmental high horse attitude. And baiting. Just a lot of baiting.
There are plenty of things wrong with the anime community least of which is those.
ShrabsterAug 1, 2014 7:01 AM

Aug 2, 2014 11:08 AM
Nov 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Kabi-sama said:
Overall, taste doesn't define intelligence. However, fans of any kind are stubborn as hell.
Yuuuuup.

I think there was a great post about this somewhere on another forum I frequent but I'm too lazy to go look for it, but basically one's taste in entertainment has little to no bearing on how smart they are.

Sometimes, the most smart the anime is, the most pedantic the viewer become, which isn't a synonymous of intelligent. I'm a fan of books and I watch some movies as well, and I think the most stupid and annoying fandom is centered around films. Of course I know plenty of good and smart people. One time I participated in a cinema club irl. But overall, I just couldn't stand those people. The literature club is certainly the best, where I found the most open and friendly folks. But I love the anime community as well, and I think even with all the weirdness, they're among the most friendly and open.

Either way, I refrain from judging any kind of community by intelligence. You can't really measure intelligence like that, I prefer looking individually.
Aug 2, 2014 12:29 PM

Nov 2013
Not really, but I cringe everytime I see the forum or comment section for a shounen anime :/
Aug 3, 2014 12:47 AM

May 2013
I think all fandoms are retarded, have you seen Twitch chat? Twitch chat is retarded as fuck yet I still see some communities as retarded as Twitch chat.
Aug 3, 2014 12:50 AM

Dec 2013
Just take a good look at Mal. There's ur answear,if u wanna quick search though, head for the Naruto,SAO, and AgK threads.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 3, 2014 12:59 AM

Jun 2013
FlareStar101 said:
Just take a good look at Mal. There's ur answear,if u wanna quick search though, head for the Naruto,SAO, and AgK threads.

Yeah, we're all societal rejects--not deserving of being put up there with the beauty of other fandoms.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 3, 2014 1:20 AM

Mar 2013
There will be retards waiting for you wherever you go
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 3, 2014 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
No.Trust me,every fandom have their idiots.
Aug 3, 2014 1:32 AM

Mar 2014
Sonic fanbase > MAL userbase in terms of sheer retardation.

But only slightly.
Aug 4, 2014 12:45 PM

Jun 2013
J-TORA said:
What should I say when one of the selling points of most of today's Anime is Ecchi/Fanservice?

Serious and intellectual shows don't get as much attention nowadays as some mediocre, stale harems, involving a lot of bouncing boobs, or lolis and deres, and of course, dense male MC's.

What is worse is that there are still people out there who write such stories. And the worst part is that they sell.

Yeah, we need "intelligent" stories, like l0l Death Note. Which is supaaar intelligezence!
YandereTheEmo said:
Aug 4, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2013
J-TORA said:
What should I say when one of the selling points of most of today's Anime is Ecchi/Fanservice?

Serious and intellectual shows don't get as much attention nowadays as some mediocre, stale harems, involving a lot of bouncing boobs, or lolis and deres, and of course, dense male MC's.

What is worse is that there are still people out there who write such stories. And the worst part is that they sell.

If that's the case for anime these days then we're screwed. Ecchi is a decent genre but shouldn't be the main selling point for an entertainment industry like anime.
Aug 4, 2014 5:59 PM

Jun 2014
Rivalrun said:
Guaporense said:

You missed the entire point of my post. What I'm saying is those type of people aren't as "obsessed" with anime as they think they are. They don't even have general knowledge of anime; shit that someone who calls themselves a fan should know. You don't need to be from Japan to understand that shounen isn't a genre and stuff like that.

Ok. I see what you say.
Aug 4, 2014 6:01 PM

Jun 2014
Shrabster said:
Guaporense said:

You're right that age doesn't necessarily mean anything but I also believe the younger the demographic obviously the less mature and more obnoxious as a general rule more so than I believe older automatically means more cynical. There's plenty of "older" people on MAL with shit taste.

I personally do not think there exists good and bad taste. There exist taste that is similar to yours and taste that is different than yours. I notice that old people's tastes tend to favor older stuff while young people tend to like more the new stuff.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

30 by luckyrune »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
12 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
17 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.