Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 30, 2014 6:29 PM

May 2014
Hey guys, I'm looking for a romance anime that would appeal to guys.......... So basically an anime that guys would like where the guy ends up with the pretty girl. Please no shoujo or anime with female leads.
Requirements....
- serious/mature/dramatic .............. Please not too much comedy, i don't know if its just me but I've seen so many romance anime ruined by too much cheesy comedy.
- 1 guy mc, at least 2 girls
- no harem ending........i want a definite ending where mc picks one girl
- stuff like jealousy, breaking up, guy mc getting wrong idea, mc dating wrong girl always makes anime a lot more interesting

Examples:
- kimi no iru machi: really liked it
- true tears: was great
- nagi no asukara: amazingggggg
- rumbling hearts
- golden time
- mirai nikki
- sankarea
- suzuka
- tasogare otome x amnesia
- white album 2: one of the most unique endings ever....... Liked it for that

And again please don't recommend anything like:
- honey and clover
- kaichou wa maid sama
- fruits basket
- clannad: i know A LOT of people love this but the huge eyes, baby voices, immature characters, and boring plot was too much for me.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 30, 2014 6:34 PM

Aug 2013
Spice and Wolf http://myanimelist.net/anime/2966/Ookami_to_Koushinryou might be what you are looking for.
Jul 30, 2014 6:37 PM

May 2014
Thanks!
Actually I've already tried watching spice and wolf however it was kind of slow paced and somewhat boring in terms of how it was mostly the characters talking about trade strategy and coins. I guess i could give it another try.
Jul 30, 2014 6:37 PM
Jun 2014
Coming from a 19 year old guy who doesn't really like girly girly rom coms, I would say Spice and Wolf is just what you need. By far, my favorite romance anime
Jul 30, 2014 6:40 PM

Aug 2013
Alpha101 said:
Thanks!
Actually I've already tried watching spice and wolf however it was kind of slow paced and somewhat boring in terms of how it was mostly the characters talking about trade strategy and coins. I guess i could give it another try.
Your welcome. You could also try Please Teacher http://myanimelist.net/anime/195/Onegai%E2%98%86Teacher although it does have comedy but not too much though. I liked Spice and Wolf but I see where you are coming from, the trading to me overshadowed the romance a little.
Jul 30, 2014 6:42 PM

Mar 2014
Since when is Mirai Nikki a romance anime?

Anyway, try Kimikiss Pure Rouge. There's more than one male mc, but they have different love interests and they both pick a girl.
Jul 30, 2014 7:08 PM

May 2014
Well mirai Nikki is a crazy psychological anime where the girl loves the mc so much she kills for him. ( ps.. Ever seen episode 3 of the series?) Its not exactly a romance anime but thats one of the main themes, also they do end up together so it has a lot of characteristics of a romance. But i can see where you're coming from. However its one of the most exciting and unique anime I've seen and i loved the romance between yuno and yuki.

For future reference....
I don't need anime recs to be pure romance, if its like action with a good amount of quality romance or something like that I'd love to hear it.
Jul 30, 2014 7:30 PM

May 2014
Any more suggestions?
Jul 30, 2014 8:23 PM

Apr 2013
Cross Game
Nodame Cantabile
+1 Spice and Wolf
Bakuman
Sakamichi no Apollon
NHK ni Youkoso!
Nana
Jul 30, 2014 8:50 PM

Jul 2014
Ano Natsu de Matteru

Kokoro Connect

Ef: A Tale of Memories
Jul 30, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
Ano Hana
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Gekkan Shoujo
Bakuman
Major

My guy friend likes the exact same anime you do and he likes Ao Haru Ride. Although it's a shoujo, you might like it.
Jul 30, 2014 8:57 PM

May 2014
Thanks
- Kokoro connect: I'm actually currently watching it.
- cross game: i don't know if ill like it, the animation is kinda old and i don't really like baseball
-nana: think ill check this one out
-ef tale of memories: currently watching this too
-nodame, bakuman, sakamichi- i look these up and check them out
-nhk- this one seems kinda complicated to me,haven't looked it up that much but from what I've seen so far about it it seems kind of unusual.

Thanks again guys!!
Any more suggestions??
Jul 30, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
cross game: i don't know if ill like it, the animation is kinda old and i don't really like baseball

You can read the manga too. Start Ano Hana first, then if you liked that, Cross Game you'll like for sure.
Jul 30, 2014 9:03 PM

Nov 2011
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Bakuman
Kannagi
Kimikiss Pure Rouge

Jul 30, 2014 9:06 PM

Dec 2013
As a manly man man, this thread could've been closed after the first response. Spice and Wolf is amazinggg <3
Jul 30, 2014 9:07 PM

May 2014
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out!
Jul 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Feb 2009
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8675/Seitokai_Yakuindomo

its like faux romance, its there, they just never give it to you. plus its ridiculously funny. muhahahahahahaha
Jul 30, 2014 9:27 PM

May 2014
I've seen some of it but haven't gotten around to watching the rest, I'll take your word for it and check it out. Thanks.
Jul 30, 2014 10:52 PM

Jun 2014
tonari no kaibustu kun
Sep 12, 2014 5:49 PM

May 2014
Wow you guys were totally right. Spice and wolf was AMAZING.

Any more recs
Sep 12, 2014 6:24 PM

Jun 2014
Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Sep 12, 2014 7:30 PM

May 2014
blessofcurse said:
Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers

Thanks I"ll check it out.

Anymore recs guys?
Sep 13, 2014 12:45 PM

May 2014
Bump
Sep 13, 2014 3:12 PM

Jul 2014
Watch Nisekoi- Its a rom com harem about a school guy that gets mad bitches by not doing anything
Sep 13, 2014 3:41 PM

Sep 2013
Hokuto no Ken, not all the time but many significant times.
Sep 13, 2014 3:56 PM

Jun 2012
Hakuouki Hekketsuroku
Sakamichi no Apollon

Also maybe try.... (hints of romance)
Noragami
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
Suisei no Garganta
I draw stuffzzz 》》Deviantart《《

Sep 13, 2014 4:20 PM

Aug 2014
Steins;Gate, the romance is not so strong in this anime but its sort of what you're looking for.
Sep 13, 2014 4:42 PM

Aug 2014
.Toradora!
Sep 13, 2014 6:10 PM

Jul 2014
Thanks for creating this thread. We have same opinion and taste on romance anime. Eventhough I am a female, I can't stand too much of a girly stuff. And thanks for the list that you incuded haha

Kimi ni Todoke. Female lead is different, she's odd with good values. Not overloaded with cutsie stuff. I lol'd with its special. Two seasons

Anohana, if you haven't watched it yet its worth a try. 13 episodes, 1 movie
Sep 13, 2014 11:47 PM

May 2014
Thanks guys, but I've already seen....
-nisekoi
-toradora
-steins;gate:funny story about this one. It wasn't tagged as romance so I just assumed it would be one of those anime where it hints at some romantic tension but never really gets there. But towards the end when some romantic stuff did happen it caught me totally off guard and was really surprising. Lol. But i was happy that there was romance in it, made it a lot better, especially because it was done right.
-kids on the slope: i liked this, would've went with different couple pairing but it didn't bother me too much. The drama was good and it was pretty enjoyable given the fact I really don't like jazz.
dontworrybehappy said:
Thanks for creating this thread. We have same opinion and taste on romance anime. Eventhough I am a female, I can't stand too much of a girly stuff. And thanks for the list that you incuded haha

Kimi ni Todoke. Female lead is different, she's odd with good values. Not overloaded with cutsie stuff. I lol'd with its special. Two seasons

Anohana, if you haven't watched it yet its worth a try. 13 episodes, 1 movie

Glad I could be of help. I'll make sure to try out Kimi ni todoke. I always was kind of skeptical about it and saw it as one of those girly shoujo anime. Oh and I've already seen anohana, it was great. Not gonna lie, it was one of the only three anime to ever make me tear up. And if you're wondering , Nagi no Asukara and Guilty crown were the other two.
Sep 13, 2014 11:48 PM
Oct 2012
Rivalrun said:
Since when is Mirai Nikki a romance anime?

Anyway, try Kimikiss Pure Rouge. There's more than one male mc, but they have different love interests and they both pick a girl.

I think he means "has romance"
Sep 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2014
Romance is 4 females
Sep 14, 2014 12:36 AM

May 2014
Qans said:
Romance is 4 females

Lol...this guy.

Ok....well. You know there is a specific type of anime of females called shoujo. I'm not asking recommendations for those kind. Stuff like mirai nikki and steins;gate, which you liked, are what I'm looking for. Where there is like a relationship, however I wouldn't mind any good pure romance anime. Honestly dude, if anyone asked me to watch a romance anime a year ago I would've laughed in their face. But now.....I like them and think they are interesting to watch. You really haven't watched a lot of romance, maybe thats why you don't really see how they can be for guys. Try some out, you might like them.
Sep 14, 2014 1:29 AM

Jun 2014
Alpha101 said:
Qans said:
Romance is 4 females

Lol...this guy.

Ok....well. You know there is a specific type of anime of females called shoujo. I'm not asking recommendations for those kind. Stuff like mirai nikki and steins;gate, which you liked, are what I'm looking for. Where there is like a relationship, however I wouldn't mind any good pure romance anime. Honestly dude, if anyone asked me to watch a romance anime a year ago I would've laughed in their face. But now.....I like them and think they are interesting to watch. You really haven't watched a lot of romance, maybe thats why you don't really see how they can be for guys. Try some out, you might like them.

Yeah those aren't bad, I don't mind if romance is incorporated in the anime but I feel like when it's the only main focus it can get annoying after a while
Sep 14, 2014 2:06 AM

Jul 2014
Thanks for mentioning the other two. Well, you might find KnT too shoujo
Sep 14, 2014 9:43 AM

May 2014
dontworrybehappy said:
Thanks for mentioning the other two. Well, you might find KnT too shoujo

Ya, those are good ones. However, I'll tell you right now. Mirai Nikki's female lead is a crazy b***ch yandere. It was literally made to appeal to like the fantasies of teenage guys. So it might not appeal to your tastes. But I really liked it.......If anyone's watched it, that damn piano soundtrack gets me every time. Steins;gate on the other hand doesn't really have any romance until like the end. But it was done pretty good.....along with the great plot, characters, animation, soundtrack, and amazing dub.
Sep 14, 2014 3:29 PM
May 2011
- Romeo X Juliet -
Sep 14, 2014 8:39 PM

May 2014
Cookieknight7 said:
Watch Nisekoi- Its a rom com harem about a school guy that gets mad bitches by not doing anything

Lol, This made me laugh
Sep 14, 2014 9:44 PM
Jun 2014
Alpha101 said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a romance anime that would appeal to guys.......... So basically an anime that guys would like where the guy ends up with the pretty girl. Please no shoujo or anime with female leads.
Requirements....
- serious/mature/dramatic .............. Please not too much comedy, i don't know if its just me but I've seen so many romance anime ruined by too much cheesy comedy.
- 1 guy mc, at least 2 girls
- no harem ending........i want a definite ending where mc picks one girl
- stuff like jealousy, breaking up, guy mc getting wrong idea, mc dating wrong girl always makes anime a lot more interesting

Examples:
- kimi no iru machi: really liked it
- true tears: was great
- nagi no asukara: amazingggggg
- rumbling hearts
- golden time
- mirai nikki
- sankarea
- suzuka
- tasogare otome x amnesia
- white album 2: one of the most unique endings ever....... Liked it for that

And again please don't recommend anything like:
- honey and clover
- kaichou wa maid sama
- fruits basket
- clannad: i know A LOT of people love this but the huge eyes, baby voices, immature characters, and boring plot was too much for me.

you basically explained kimi no it's machi. It's ok I have the same taste.
Sep 15, 2014 12:04 PM

May 2014
you basically explained kimi no it's machi. It's ok I have the same taste.

Lol. Well I wasn't really trying to, I just put down what I though would make an interesting romance anime that I would like. Oh, and since we have the same tastes do have any recs?
Sep 15, 2014 12:15 PM

Jul 2014
Bokura ga ita

- Ok for your first condition and last condition. And I agree, break ups and stuff makes rom interesting. Been looking, but I only watched bokura ga ita with break ups. Involves two guys and one girl. One slight harem episode. But the ending does not lead to any closure, a lot says the manga of it was great. If you haven't try this, I think you might like it
Sep 15, 2014 12:40 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
If you're fine with mecha, Eureka 7 is the perfect mix between action and romance. Some other good ones:
-Bounen no xamdou
-Escaflowne
-Macross (any series)
-RahXpehon

Non-mecha:
-Ristorante paradiso
-Nazo no Kanojo X
-Otome Youkai Zakuro
-Paradise kiss
Sep 15, 2014 12:42 PM

Mar 2014
Sword art online??
Idk
Sep 15, 2014 12:48 PM
Jan 2014
Toradora? It fits all your criteria. You might like it.

It all ends when the higurashi cry.

Sep 15, 2014 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
Toradora !
The girl he ends up with is so beautiful and cute :)

Also ..
Kokoro Connect - great anime.
Sep 15, 2014 1:59 PM

May 2014
PrOxAnto said:
Toradora !
The girl he ends up with is so beautiful and cute :)

Also ..
Kokoro Connect - great anime.

I've seen them both. Kokoro connect was pretty good.......however toradora........
I agree that taiga has good character design, but I really don't like the tsundere type. Not gonna lie, I thought taiga was pretty annoying. However, she did get better towards the end. Just my opinion. I mean the guy was always so nice and considerate while she kinda always acted like a child and got angry.
Sep 15, 2014 5:58 PM
Apr 2014
Try Nana, actually. It's probably one of the most grounded, believable and mature romance series I've seen yet, although I'm not the most well versed in those - but it's one of my favourite series nonetheless.
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM

Feb 2014
I don't think Nana would be suitable for you. You have almost the same opinion about animes that I do.

Too bad that you already watched everything I could recommend. Isn't it time for you to move into mangas?
DoctaLinker
Sep 15, 2014 9:22 PM

Feb 2014
Also: You didn't watch School Days yet, have you?

Believe. Watch it. It's gonna change your life. Seriously.
DoctaLinker
Sep 15, 2014 9:28 PM

Mar 2014
+1 for School Days
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
36 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
58 minutes ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.