Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 30, 2014 4:04 PM
Mar 2012
So...ive recently started reading the manga after watching the anime...but seriously the use of touma as a plot device to create drama is in my opinion really unnecessary...

so can anyone explain to me what the appeal is in touma?
Aug 11, 2014 2:19 PM

Dec 2012
This is shoujo shit,deal with it. Shoujo is made to be frustrating.
Aug 11, 2014 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
kawaii-despair said:
This is shoujo shit,deal with it. Shoujo is made to be frustrating.

lol harsh

where is your sig from?

back on topic im sure it has frustrated a lot of fans. But they also like the manga... so take teh good with the bad i guess.

I dont like Touma just putting it out there and I hope hes cut from Futaba's group fast.
Aug 11, 2014 3:59 PM
Sep 2013
His sig is from a manga called horimiya.
Aug 11, 2014 4:38 PM

Oct 2012
wtfitsmegaman said:
His sig is from a manga called horimiya.

he huh? lol

and thx.
Aug 11, 2014 4:41 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I thought the beginning was great for a school/romance shoujo manga. But since it became popular, the author has no other choice but to drag it with drama and that's what she is doing.

First she added Narumi as a 'rival' to Futaba. You thought that after everything is resolved, Kou would admit his feelings for Futaba and it would be over. But no, the author tossed Touma in the middle so he could create more and more drama. In many chapters you can tell that the author fools you by making you think that KouxFutaba will finally happen but no, somehow either Futaba or Kou ruins it or Touma interrupts.

At least it didn't happen that way with Strobe Edge, her previous work.
Aug 11, 2014 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
Snow_Queen said:
I thought the beginning was great for a school/romance shoujo manga. But since it became popular, the author has no other choice but to drag it with drama and that's what she is doing.

First she added Narumi as a 'rival' to Futaba. You thought that after everything is resolved, Kou would admit his feelings for Futaba and it would be over. But no, the author tossed Touma in the middle so he could create more and more drama. In many chapters you can tell that the author fools you by making you think that KouxFutaba will finally happen but no, somehow either Futaba or Kou ruins it or Touma interrupts.

I was looking at her last work.

is it good? have a happy ending?
Aug 13, 2014 6:25 AM

Dec 2013
ss4chris said:
Snow_Queen said:

If you're referring to "Strobe Edge", then yes I would recommend it. It's been about 2 years since I've read it, so I cant really tell you much about it, but if memory serves, they are pretty similar. If you like or enjoy this, then you'll probably like Strobe Edge as well.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Sep 8, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2013
Kuro_Yuuki said:
ss4chris said:

If you're referring to "Strobe Edge", then yes I would recommend it. It's been about 2 years since I've read it, so I cant really tell you much about it, but if memory serves, they are pretty similar. If you like or enjoy this, then you'll probably like Strobe Edge as well.

Without giving out anything, yes Strobe Edge does have a happy ending.
Sep 8, 2014 2:28 PM

Nov 2011
I don't like that people say they hate Touma.

As a character, he didn't do anything wrong persay. He's a nice guy and he's just young and kinda clueless. But yes, it DOES bother me that she threw him in there at all, because we know Kou x Futaba WILL happen, so that means Touma is going to get screwed over somehow and that's really frustrating because he doesn't deserve that treatment. Not saying I prefer her and Touma, but I do think it's unfair that he's going to get the short end of the stick when he didn't really do anything wrong except maybe be a bit pushy, but he's a nice, well-meaning kid.
Sep 8, 2014 3:41 PM

Nov 2012
Amberleh said:

As a character, he didn't do anything wrong persay. He's a nice guy and he's just young and kinda clueless. But yes, it DOES bother me that she threw him in there at all, because we know Kou x Futaba WILL happen, so that means Touma is going to get screwed over somehow and that's really frustrating because he doesn't deserve that treatment. Not saying I prefer her and Touma, but I do think it's unfair that he's going to get the short end of the stick when he didn't really do anything wrong except maybe be a bit pushy, but he's a nice, well-meaning kid.

I just can't see him as a nice person. Since the start he has been no more than a creepy staker, and IMO to be honest he has been giving the impression that more than love for Futaba, he has some jealousy/envy thing going on with Kou. The way he went after Futaba immediately and how he pushed her until she accepted to go out with him was not nice at all. IMO all the kisses are stolen; bear hugs with her, you just have to see her face again and they don't really look that nice or cute. Also, are they really a couple? since she said yes to him, basically they have not done anything as couple together and most of the time we see then together is usually cause Touma is worried about Kou, so he has to show up.
He is so nice and well meaning kid that he can't see that he is not the one making Futaba happy, but actually making her feel a bit more insecure cause all Futaba has been doing since they started dating is try not to make him unhappy, so what is there for her. The nice guy can't make an exception and go watch a movie his girlfriend, gay.
I just can't say he is nice the way he jumps at Kou to start arguments that he always ends up losing (Well, Those are actually quite hilarious, and make me feel sorry for him).

Anyway, I just can't see him as the victim when he always knew what he was getting into, and he even admitted. And even now, other than saying yes to him after him being pushy, I don't think Futaba has giving him any real hope. And lastly, from his arguments with Kou, IMO he is such a nice guy that he is not considering Futaba's feelings or choices, that he has declare himself the winner.

Just in case, I don't think Kou is a saint, he is an idiot, just like Futaba and perhaps he should have been a little bit more selfish and don't give a crap about Narumi, but Touma is definetly not any better.
Sep 8, 2014 3:47 PM

Jul 2011
I read the last few chapters a while ago but I can see touma may get weird and possessive

the drama is totally forced and wouldnt exist if there was proper communication but thats typical shoujo, ever since the author made touma and futaba get together I dont see how she can possibly get kou with futaba again unless touma does something stupid
UASep 8, 2014 3:50 PM
Sep 8, 2014 4:41 PM

Nov 2012
marriage said:
I read the last few chapters a while ago but I can see touma may get weird and possessive

the drama is totally forced and wouldnt exist if there was proper communication but thats typical shoujo, ever since the author made touma and futaba get together I dont see how she can possibly get kou with futaba again unless touma does something stupid

I wish he will do something stupid. However, most likely like any other shoujo where the second guy is the poor victim of the evil MC's, he will sacrifice his love for Futaba's happiness.
I think most likely Narumi will be the one telling everything to Futaba, so Narumi character will have some kind of redemption (another victim of the MC's characters mess, just that most people won't care cause is a shoujo). Then Futaba, even thought now she knows Kou has been in love with only her all this time, won't go after Kou cause most likely she would feel she has done something bad to to Kou, so she feels she doesn't deserve him anymore, and she most likely will decide to stay with Touma cause she doesn't want to hurt him either. Then, the hero/victim/martyr Touma (cause it was Futaba's selfishness and not his own selfishness that made then start dating) after seeing that she is not really happy with him will decide to let go, so she can be happy with Kou. (it would be so annoying if that were to happen)

But seriously I can only hope Touma doesn't give up to the bitter end, and try to do something really stupid out of jealousy.
jose21Sep 8, 2014 4:48 PM
Sep 9, 2014 2:02 AM

Mar 2012
I never want to read another shoujo manga again. I can't take the frustration. I just binge read from chapter 20 to 43, and I achieved maximum over rustle of my jimmies. I feel the pain of anyone who was going by monthly since touma was introduced.

Also literally every character manipulates futaba. I hate plot based on miscommunication, but I'll give this a 9 or 10 if she ends up with kou without any bullshit twists interfering. God I am so frustrated, reward my faith! Mangaka - sama pls
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Sep 9, 2014 5:52 PM
Mar 2014
Amberleh said:

I don't get why people think that just because he is nice to a girl, the girl should fall head over heels for him.
And the "bit pushy" does not really paint the whole picture, since the moment he was introduced and became "friend" with Futaba he has manipulated her concerning anything that happened between Kou and Futaba.

While it sucks having characters that get added just for drama, that is just how Shoujo goes, because you know, manga people can't be honest with themselves, so there is a need for other people to steal something that is "yours" so you can finally notice what you felt.
Sep 10, 2014 12:37 AM

Nov 2012
I just think it is quite funny how for some people Touma can still be nice, and if he does something bad it is because cause he is either young, immature, clumsy or whatever other excuse for his behavior, but when it comes to Kou and even Futaba, if they do something bad, it is cause they are selfish, jerks,....... because they are clearly not young, immature, clumsy..... they must be vey mature and cold blooded.
jose21Sep 10, 2014 5:23 AM
Sep 10, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah, a little bit, but the story arc is interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2014 8:48 AM

Jun 2014
It frustrates me whenever touma tries to get closer to yoshioka. I really like kou and want them to be tgt (prolly will eventually). I kinda hate Touma for no reason at all.

Being new to romance anime and now my very first shoujo. i can say this frustration is very exciting :D
Sep 11, 2014 11:26 PM
Dec 2013
come on guys.. we know that Kou and Futaba will end up together at the end.. don't blame the mangaka or Touma just because it doesn't happen now.. i mean if Kou and Futaba do end up together without any obstacles then it would be boring and it would be exactly just like any other shoujo mangas.. -__-"
i think the mangaka is trying to show how kou made a mistake by letting her go and now he's trying to get her back.. don't you all girls feel moeru/excited/happy by that? well at least i do.. cuz i kinda tired to see a girl go after a boy, even though it's one sided love, the girl still won't give up and then when a third person shows up and like that girl, somehow at the end the two of the main characters (boy and girl) end up together -__-"
gafoe13Sep 11, 2014 11:59 PM
Sep 12, 2014 1:37 PM

Sep 2008
I think it would better if Kou and Futaba don't need rivals to start grown up and become couple.
Sep 12, 2014 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
Cos she says this shit:

But then she gives up later so easily with the Narumi thing, and Idk how to feel about Touma. Him serving as a plot device seems believable though
Sep 12, 2014 2:23 PM

Nov 2012
I just hate love martyrs, so Touma does frustrate me cause it seems that the ending is heading that way. For example: Narumi, I didn't quite got that feeling, cause it wasn't like she gave up on Kou. Kou just told her he loves Futaba and she just have to deal with it.
Actually, now I am starting to appreciate a little more how things happened in "Tonari no kaibutsu kun," Yamaken as well didn't quite end up like a love martyr, I mean the guy did not quite gave up to the bitter end, it was pretty much the same as Narumi and Kou, Shizuku just told him that she loved Haru, and he just had to deal with it, and what made it better was that Yamaken didn't play the nice guy, he was bad, he knew it and couldn't care less.
On this one, judging by how things end up in strobe edge, I do not have any hopes of Futaba being a bit selfish and breaking with Touma without considering his feelings and feeling sorry for him. Most likely "poor" Touma will be the one playing the martyr guy (sacrificing his own love), and letting her go so she can be happy. Also, there is no way Touma can pull something similar to what Ando did in strobe edge to avoid being a love martyr, unless he takes her first................ but that will be a bit mess up and doubt anyone would like her back with Kou if that were to happen.
Sep 15, 2014 11:52 PM
Mar 2011
gafoe13 said:

i think the mangaka is trying to show how kou made a mistake by letting her go and now he's trying to get her back.. don't you all girls feel moeru/excited/happy by that? well at least i do..

I do!
I want to see the cool main guy work for his girl.
And I hope he won't get it easy.
Sep 23, 2014 6:45 PM

Jan 2014
I'm surprised at the sudden drop in quality since the first 14 chapters was actually really good. But then again, it's not as bad as lets say.. Good ending? where the drama is really drag out.
Recommend me an anime
Sep 24, 2014 9:50 AM

Aug 2011
I usually don't comment at anime/manga stuff very often, but this time I just have to.

I recently finished the anime and sure like some others i decided to go on with the manga as far as it is released now.

I really LOVED the story from the beginning. It was one of the romance storys which I enjoyed the most until...
Yeah until that Touma part happened. I mean it's not like Iam annoyed that it happened, but since a few chapters it's destroying the manga for me. That whole thing with him is dragged out waaaaaaay to long and somehow pushes back everything else in the background. I think the manga is at a point where this takes up to much of the overall story plot. And while I have read the last chapters I always thought "Really"?

First off Touma is such an abusive guy. That whole relationship he has with Futaba every bit of it is only because he uses that "I make you forget Kou card" over and over again and steal her emotions and kisses that way.
Next thing is did you recognize how other characters like Yuuri or Kou's brother written in the background as if they almost don't care anymore what happens? Even Shuuko who did know everything... No one talks and more and more misunderstandings did grow. And if they talk about it then "uuuh better stay away of it." They should have told Futaba what they know.
Just yeah it's his own fault. I mean don't they care how Touma behaves? Even he is friendly towards Futaba, there are some things which me as a friend would make me nervous and worry for her.

I really wonder how this will go on now. Maybe we will see Touma's ex soon too.
I don't mind that Kou has to fight to get back her heart BUT pleeeaaaaseee don't let the story completly resolve around that Touma part and then just end. That would be a huge disappointment for me. I think there can be more.
I want to see some development between Futaba and Kou which not result out of this part. Because for me that were the parts before which I had enjoyed reading the most at this manga. Like the whole chapters before, the scenes at the shrine in the rain or small bits like the part with Kou's old house.

I still can not wait for the next chapters even there was some disappointment now. I will keep my faith for this.

written after ch. 44
Shaoran-LiOct 13, 2014 12:31 PM
Sep 24, 2014 10:02 AM

Oct 2008
Same shit happens in every shojo romance (well ok not every title,but a very large percent) ,because most authors cant write a proper romance story and have to drag things out as much as they can.In this case :the introducing of unnecessary "third wheel" characters,that barely have any characterization or character development, to literally put the story on-hold and to forcefully add more drama and tension.
It's also because of the whole "the journey doesn't matter ,its all about the destination" mentality.

Its what turned Kimi Ni Todoke from great to decent,for example.
amateurSep 24, 2014 10:10 AM
Oct 14, 2014 2:15 PM

Aug 2009
LittleStar said:
I think it would better if Kou and Futaba don't need rivals to start grown up and become couple.

So true. And this manga is EXTREMELY frustrating. I had tachycardia and tears in my eyes while reading it.
Oct 14, 2014 6:02 PM

Jul 2012
amateur said:
Its what turned Kimi Ni Todoke from great to decent,for example.

Well, KnT really lost the quality after

And yeah AHR's love triangles are the worst part about it. Which is why I like the anime better because they didn't have much of it.
Oct 14, 2014 6:02 PM

Feb 2013
Ohh, i'm frustrated as hell to be honest. Not just with Futaba, Touma or Kou, with every single soul in this manga. I like Touma, but I also really like Kou, so now I'm kinda confused.

Nov 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
Cool, so I caught up to the recent chapters of AHR today! This love triangle will be the death of me.

But it's nice that the author made it obvious that Kou will end up with Futaba since the start. I like that she writes Touma well but makes him purposely incompatible with Futaba.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 49 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LittleStar - Feb 11, 2015

107 by Rhaelynne »»
Mar 8, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Oct 11, 2014

98 by CoomSlayer69 »»
Oct 15, 2023 8:32 AM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 23 Discussion

blue-y - Nov 8, 2012

39 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Sep 8, 2012

65 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Nov 10, 2014

99 by minnaslay127 »»
Jun 4, 2023 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.