Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga & Light Novel Rankings for Jul 21 - 27

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 31, 2014 6:24 AM

Aug 2007
Detective Connan: 84 volumes!!! Damn, they're a lot! I think that too many peopke still aten't tired of the mangas
Jul 31, 2014 6:42 AM

Jan 2013
How was mekakucity actors a critical failure?

Its fairly decently rated on japanese sites and had decent sales.

The only morons crying about it are on myanimelist.
Jul 31, 2014 7:14 AM
Mar 2011
And maybe Tumblr. Or it could just be me, I'm pretty disappointed with the adaptation since I'm a longtime fan of the series.

Well, I also theorize that the reason why Mikagura and Shuuen's sales this time around were lower (other than perceived quality going down, I can't read Japanese, so...) is because no new songs have been uploaded to their series for a while. The third volume of Mikagura was released a month after the fourth song, which definitely increased awareness and popularity of it. Shuuen has no excuse though; it's nearly a year since its latest song.
Jul 31, 2014 7:16 AM

Jun 2013
pika09 said:
I suspect the critical failure of Mekakucity Actors had something to do with this
Mekakucity Actors has currently sold over 11k and currently is the 3rd best-selling show of spring 2014. It's far from critical failure in terms of sales.
Jul 31, 2014 7:33 AM
Mar 2011
YumeHunter said:
pika09 said:
I suspect the critical failure of Mekakucity Actors had something to do with this
Mekakucity Actors has currently sold over 11k and currently is the 3rd best-selling show of spring 2014. It's far from critical failure in terms of sales.

Hence why I said citical. I didn't mean commercial, I could also see how well it's doing. A fair number of fans SEEM to be disappointed with the adaptation (and by fans I mean longtime fans of KagePro) so I made the assumption. Feel free to correct me if you wish.
Jul 31, 2014 7:36 AM

Mar 2012
Why did people hate Inu x Boku SS? It is one of the best show in 2012. Haven't read the manga but I heard anime is just prologue to the story.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 31, 2014 7:57 AM

Oct 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
keragamming said:

Hmm... That's odd. Probably the series is aired at late nights. That may explain why we are not seeing any boost in sales for akame ga kill, or maybe people are just not interested in it.

mac9955 said:
Bad performance by Akame Ga Kill. The manga is really great, it's a shame it's not selling more.

What's with these comments? The last volume came out on 21st June. Why would you expect it to be ranking now?

I wouldn't say bad performance, but totally different that the western fans were expecting. I got really surprised and still don't understand all the hype the title as here in the west. The manga is not bad, is in reality good, but not something that special.

Note that because of the anime, the series should have received a noticeable boost and previous volumes should have appeared in the rankings. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a manga from the same publisher, Gangan(Square Enix), and you can see previous titles appearing in the rankings due to the anime boost.
Nozaki-kun right now is doing way better than Akame ga Kill!
Jul 31, 2014 8:14 AM

Jul 2014
Loook at the top 1 and top of light novel section O.O
I am damn glad Oregairu is doing great, now waiting for the season 2 to come :3
and i didn't expect Issuhkaan friends would be rank 11 as well as Noragami O.O
Damn great.

Jul 31, 2014 8:31 AM

Sep 2013
Mekakucity Actors was hyped everyone was expecting great animation but instead we got "that", the studio/company thought they could pull a fast one and half ass the anime and get a load of money (50K+) but not we're not paying for a an average adaptation and as a result everything else is suffering a bit.
Jul 31, 2014 8:53 AM
Mar 2011
ichii_1 said:
Mekakucity Actors was hyped everyone was expecting great animation but instead we got "that", the studio/company thought they could pull a fast one and half ass the anime and get a load of money (50K+) but not we're not paying for a an average adaptation and as a result everything else is suffering a bit.

This, basically. The fans' expectations and Jin's pacing just didn't translate well in the twelve-episode anime. Mikagura and Shuuen are like KagePro in that all three are popular Vocaloid song series that had LN adaptations, so most fans are also fans of the other series. The fans who were disappointed with MCA either probably saw the faults in adapting Vocaloid songs to LN or lost faith in the other series as well so the sales of MSS and SnS might have declined because of this.

Just a conspiracy theory, though.
Jul 31, 2014 11:04 AM
Oct 2012
Surprised there's no SAO novel boost, it's been almost a month since season 2 started airing....
Jul 31, 2014 11:40 AM
Mar 2013
hope akame gets some boost :(
Jul 31, 2014 12:13 PM

Dec 2011
bigivelfhq said:

Note that because of the anime, the series should have received a noticeable boost and previous volumes should have appeared in the rankings. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a manga from the same publisher, Gangan(Square Enix), and you can see previous titles appearing in the rankings due to the anime boost.

should? A series re-ranking is extremely rare. A series selling 50% of its previous sales in a random week after an anime airs is literally unheard of.

You're saying that because a series that sells four times as much as it barely scraped into the rankings, that means that it should have ranked as well? Just because that series is also published by the same company?

If Akame ga Kill had ranked with even a single volume at the very bottom of the rankings this week, then it would have instantly made it the best manga boost (proportionately) from an airing anime in recorded history.

If it had sold half the amount required to get on the rankings, that would be a god-tier sales boost of the sort to make the likes of Shingeki no Kyojin cry out in jealousy. After all, SnK's biggest boost in a single week was 11% of the pre-anime sales of the last volume before the anime aired. Nozaki-kun's figure is 13%. You're expecting Akame ga Kill to get 46%. At least.
(Note that this isn't % sales boost but % sales boost received in a single week)

Can I make it any more clear how ludicrous you are being?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 31, 2014 1:22 PM

May 2013
Was hoping Blade Dance and some other's might get recognition. Oh well Absolute Duo and Oregairu. Nice.
Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Jul 31, 2014 1:33 PM

Oct 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
bigivelfhq said:

should? A series re-ranking is extremely rare. A series selling 50% of its previous sales in a random week after an anime airs is literally unheard of.

You're saying that because a series that sells four times as much as it barely scraped into the rankings, that means that it should have ranked as well? Just because that series is also published by the same company?

If Akame ga Kill had ranked with even a single volume at the very bottom of the rankings this week, then it would have instantly made it the best manga boost (proportionately) from an airing anime in recorded history.

If it had sold half the amount required to get on the rankings, that would be a god-tier sales boost of the sort to make the likes of Shingeki no Kyojin cry out in jealousy. After all, SnK's biggest boost in a single week was 11% of the pre-anime sales of the last volume before the anime aired. Nozaki-kun's figure is 13%. You're expecting Akame ga Kill to get 46%. At least.
(Note that this isn't % sales boost but % sales boost received in a single week)

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. When snk anime was airing all older volumes were popping up in the top 30 weekly manga sales.

All he's saying that he expected to see some older volumes reappearing in the weekly manga sales. But I guess akame ga kill is just not that big for that to happen.

Look at Hyouka that series had all its older volume showing up in the weekly manga sales constantly. Tokyo ghoul older volumes are reappearing that shows that it's getting a boost, so why can't akame ga kill do the same?

So I don't know where those 13/11% figures comes from. You've said that attack on titan didn't have any chance of leading the first half manga sales over one piece when I asked you, you said something about the other volumes are not selling well blah, blah, but attack on titan proved you were dead wrong. So I'll just take any comment you make from now with a grain of salt.

Akame ga kill is not selling well and that's the point we're making. And we are not talking about before the anime aired, we are talking about the sales boost while the anime is airing.
keragammingJul 31, 2014 1:44 PM
Jul 31, 2014 1:35 PM

Feb 2012
S/O to everyone out there in Japan who knows Vagabond is that shit.

Really glad to see it on #2
Jul 31, 2014 2:29 PM

Nov 2008
Kingdom...
Jul 31, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2011
NeoAnkara said:
Why did people hate Inu x Boku SS? It is one of the best show in 2012. Haven't read the manga but I heard anime is just prologue to the story.

It's only a couple of people and ignorant ones at that so don't sweat it! Inu x Boku SS was an interesting show more in the way it managed to appeal across demographics with strong showings both for male and female fans. The OVA episode was also ridiculously funny, especially the 'playing house' part.

I do admit though that the BDSM loving character in the anime was REALLY annoying, but the anime was quite touching.
Jul 31, 2014 5:30 PM
Sep 2013
Akame ga kill air am 0:00 only in tokyo which has less than 10% of japanese population
Most of area it simply dont air actually.

Popular late-nighters such as snk air wider area.
Jul 31, 2014 8:43 PM

Oct 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
bigivelfhq said:

Because series sales boosts are compared by using the difference in sales a series has before the anime adaption and after it, right? You're saying that if something sales 1 copy per volume before an anime adaptation, than after it the boost could never make it sell 2 copy per volume, because that would mean a 50% boost, higher than the ludicrous, said by you, Akame ga Kill boost I was expecting.

Sales Boosts have to do with newer fans liking the product and buying, and not about how it sold already, because of that you can't see it by the percentage difference, but by totals.
Normally you can use percentage difference if you are looking at the difference between a series before the anime adaptation and after it, but not when comparing different series boosts.

Example: Let's assume
- Attack on Titan before anime sold 10 times more than Akame ga Kill before anime.
- Attack on Titan got 30k new buyers after anime and Akame ga Kill the same(let's say that these two series new buyers are the exact same people) .

By percentage, you would say that Akame ga Kill had a boost 10 times greater than Attack on Titan, but the new buyers are the exact same as Attack on Titan, wouldn't that mean that they attracted the same number of people? YES!
Didn't they earned the same exact profit with the boost? YES!

By totals, we would conclude that Akame ga Kill had the same boost in sales as Attack on Titan. In terms of fans and in money profit.

It seems, for one of the comments, that Akame ga Kill has way less country TV coverage than the other series, and that might be the reason why it didn't had a bigger boost(if it had at all one).
bigivelfhqJul 31, 2014 8:47 PM
Jul 31, 2014 10:40 PM

Jun 2007
What you're saying is true to an extent, but it neglects the fact that manga fuels interest in anime before anime does the same for manga. Adaptations of manga that have half a million early-buying fans have advantages over those with 30-something thousand in terms of how much word of mouth they can get (among other things). In that respect, it's reasonable to compare percentages as well as absolute results, because they take those advantages into account.

Totals are important as well, but it's important to look at these sorts of things from a variety of angles, given how incomplete oricon data can sometimes end up being.
TorisunanohokoriJul 31, 2014 11:30 PM
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 31, 2014 11:21 PM

Dec 2011
bigivelfhq said:

Because series sales boosts are compared by using the difference in sales a series has before the anime adaption and after it, right? You're saying that if something sales 1 copy per volume before an anime adaptation, than after it the boost could never make it sell 2 copy per volume, because that would mean a 50% boost, higher than the ludicrous, said by you, Akame ga Kill boost I was expecting.

Actually, that would be a 100% boost. But it's also beside the point - as any sales boost only counts if both the sales before the anime and the sales during the anime are visible. Which, even in a slow week (which the current one is not) would mean sales of about 15k.

Also, the sales boost provided by the anime is irrelevant. It's the visible sales while the series is airing. There are plenty of 50k-ish sellers that have had clearly visible sales boosts from anime adaptations. But you only see those when the next volume comes out. In the 6 years or so that we have data for, there has not been a single manga that sold around the 50k mark that had visible sales of past volumes during the time the anime aired. Not. A. Single. One.
I haven't actually checked this but I don't think there's been any under 150k either.

If you want to compare visible sales boosts for things selling similar reported numbers beforehand, you have to look to light novels. These can get the visible sales boosts as the threshold for the bunko charts (where most light novels fall into) are far lower than those for the manga charts.

This shows that there is at least a grain of truth in what you are saying - lower sellers can indeed get higher % boosts. Indeed, Hataraku Maou-sama vol 1 sold a spectacular 11889 copies on w/c 15th April 2013, compared to 22254 for the last volume before the anime aired. This is a massive 53% sales boost. But these volumese wouldn't have appeared on the rankings, either before or during the anime's airing, had there been manga level thresholds. Of course, we're now going out the other way.

So let's look at a couple of series around the 50k mark, similar to Akame ga Kill

Date A Live volume 6 sold 47k copies, and was the last volume to come out before the anime adaptation. The anime was popular and successful, and the first proper volume to be released after the anime finished reached 83k sales - a clear and comfortable sales boost. Yet the series never once had a single volume re-ranking during the anime, with thresholds typically between 5 and 5.5k - less than quarter of the level required to rank in the anime sales rankings.

Accel World volume 10 sold 52k copies - almost exactly the same as Akame ga Kill's last volume. The anime adaptation of this series was, I believe, rather more popular than either Date A Live's or Akame ga Kill's, so you would expect a bigger boost from it. And indeed, Accel World volume 1 did rerank. Once. On the w/c 9th April, volume 1 sold 8492 copies. Some of these probably came from the fact that volume 11 was released on the same day - Kagerou Days has shown that the common sense notion that a new volume coming out gives a small boost to the earlier ones is indeed correct. It may have also been boosted very slightly by the upcoming anime adaptation of SAO (which, incidentally, did just barely get a sales boost big enough to have ranked on this week's manga chart). The first volume to come out after the anime finished airing was volume 13, which sold 106k copies, more than doubling its pre-anime sales. Yet even Accel World barely got a third of the requirements to rerank on the manga rankings this week.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 31, 2014 11:44 PM

Dec 2011
Note to mods: this double-post is deliberate, and is because both are long posts in response to different things

keragamming said:
I don't know what the hell you're talking about. When snk anime was airing all older volumes were popping up in the top 30 weekly manga sales.

I'm talking about proportions. Bigger seller before anime means bigger name before anime, which generally means bigger sales boost from the anime.

Look at Hyouka that series had all its older volume showing up in the weekly manga sales constantly.

never got high enough sales to get on this week's manga rankings.

Tokyo ghoul older volumes are reappearing that shows that it's getting a boost, so why can't akame ga kill do the same?

Tokyo Ghoul sold 3 times as much as Akame ga Kill pre-anime.
And I didn't say it was impossible - I said that it was ludicrous to expect it because no manga of that sales level had ever re-ranked during the anime's airing.

So I don't know where those 13/11% figures comes from.

I explained it perfectly clearly.

You've said that attack on titan didn't have any chance of leading the first half manga sales over one piece when I asked you, you said something about the other volumes are not selling well blah, blah, but attack on titan proved you were dead wrong.

Are you deliberately misinterpreting my comments? Or is your memory bad?

Here's the thread in question: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1126287

I was the fourth person to reply, and the first to not say that it didn't have any chance.
Also, bear in mind that you were talking about the full year's sales, not the first half. I even explained to you how the year began in November, and thus the early parts of the year would count the time when SnK was still ranking. But that for the majority of the full year, SnK wouldn't be getting such big sales boosts. And the fact that SnK would need a much bigger level of backlog sales per volume to achieve the same result.

Akame ga kill is not selling well and that's the point we're making. And we are not talking about before the anime aired, we are talking about the sales boost while the anime is airing.

And the point I'm making is that you don't know that. If it is selling 10-15k per volume every week, that would be selling extremely well. But it would be below the threshold, so we would never see it.

You're arguing with points I never made and criticising me for things I never said.
Aug 1, 2014 2:32 AM
Feb 2012
Magi still below 400k? I suppose next week we'll see another 100k units sold. Otherwise I'd be worried about those numbers given its predecessors' success.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 1, 2014 3:49 AM
Mar 2010
Wow, am I the only one who saw what big whopping boost Isshuukan Friends got? It went from not ranking at all to selling 90k in its first week!

Man, I'm so happy for it. And for Noragami too. Hoping Noragami can manage a third week but that would be difficult.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 1, 2014 6:12 PM

May 2013
It sucks that Love Stage!! can't manage to get a good enough boost to rank now, but I imagine cause it's BL it won't get a huge boost. Maybe when the next volume comes out we can see if it might have gotten a boost. I know the previous volumes have sold around 20k-25k. Just will have to wait.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Aug 1, 2014 6:23 PM

May 2008
Inu x Boku SS <3333
Aug 1, 2014 7:26 PM

Mar 2012
*6. 120,690 *,120,690 Youkai Watch Vol.4 Limited Edition

This is totally unexpected.

*1. 38,821 38,821 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Vol.6.5
*2. 29,124 29,124 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Vol.6.5 Limited Edition

Well, this is kinda obvious.

Overall sales for Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun are boosting? Nice!
Noragami selling decently, but that's expected, I don't expect it to get better sales than that anyways.
Tokyo Ghoul overall sales boosting too, that's great news!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

24 by Adnash »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
7 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.