Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2014 5:17 AM

May 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The rebellion has started! Damn, so many bloodshed!
Jul 31, 2014 3:25 AM

Sep 2012
Okita finally meets Kamui.

And Kamui's face when talking excitedly about ninjas was so weird. .-.
Jul 31, 2014 1:31 PM

May 2011
Man, haven't seen this much bloodshed in Gintama for a while. The fight pairings could soon be very interesting.

weiqifan said:

I thought he looked a bit like Goku lol.
Check out my list here. That's the Brigade Chief's orders!
Aug 2, 2014 12:09 AM

Sep 2012
DanchouHaruhi said:
Man, haven't seen this much bloodshed in Gintama for a while. The fight pairings could soon be very interesting.

weiqifan said:

I thought he looked a bit like Goku lol.

I thought so too, LOL. That expression on him just seemed weird to me. >_>
Aug 2, 2014 11:04 AM

Sep 2011
So....is the shogun actually dead?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 2, 2014 3:38 PM

Jun 2010
I'm like so lost right now, but I love it. XD

And Goku's face. XD Strong guys.

Aug 2, 2014 3:48 PM

Feb 2012
Wow so he really did kill the Shogun.

Ending was awesome, it would be great if we get Kamui vs Okita.

Where the hell is Katsura at in all of this shitt.
Aug 2, 2014 3:57 PM

Apr 2014
Kamui's adorable face when he gets excited~

YESSS!!! My dream of having Okita meet Kamui will soon come true ^o^

Let the bloodshed begin!
Solcast59Aug 2, 2014 4:00 PM
Aug 2, 2014 4:00 PM

Sep 2011
I know its nothing official since its all fan run, but its kind of depressing going to the gintama wikia and seeing the shogun listed as deceased.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 2, 2014 6:37 PM
Oct 2013
This is the most serious thing I have ever read in Gintama! Loving this arc
Aug 2, 2014 7:33 PM

May 2013
Damn a lot blood being spilled this chapter.
Aug 3, 2014 3:09 AM

Mar 2011
The Shogun and Hattori were actually childhood friends? Damn, this makes the whole thing even more depressing. But does this mean that Hattori is working for Hitotsubashi?
Aug 3, 2014 3:12 AM

Mar 2013
Nooo! The shogun is really dead!? I'll veryx2 miss him. Why should he die? For what reason?

@ana No, He just fulfilled his shinobi duty or whatever it's called since at the last page of chapter 503 the last word shogun said to him was 'I leave the rest to you'. Even if he really defect to hitotsubashi it's only temporarily, I think.
Yap30Aug 3, 2014 3:19 AM

Aug 3, 2014 4:48 AM

Jan 2011
SHOOOOGUUUUNNNNNNN ;___________________;
Aug 3, 2014 6:44 AM

Apr 2014
ohh god things just got real now.
Shogun :( still hard to believe that he's dead..Zensou got something!
Aug 3, 2014 7:42 AM

Sep 2011
It just kind of hit me, both zenzo and the shogun were not in the movie nor mentioned. I wonder if its because they both die here in this arc.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 3, 2014 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
So apparently, both Kamui's group (Along with Shinsuke) AND the Bakufu hired the Oniwaban to attack each other. From what I could tell. Since the Oniwaban have no masters, and only obey those who pay more, then Shinsuke and Kamui could easily get them to betray one another.
Zenzou must have killed the Shogun... because he wasn't doing his duty properly. Something along those lines. Zenzou did say, "We protect the duty of the shogun." They do not protect the shogun himself. Or, Zenzou found that the Shogun wasn't able to reunite the country.
Or, he was hired by Kamui/Shinsuke, and they paid more than the Bakufu did. He says "by giving your life, you've accomplished your duty as the shogun, and I have fulfilled my duty as a Shinobi." (Plus we actually got to see his eye during that scene, Lol.) The look on his face when he says that tells me;
He killed the shogun because he was hired to. He simply does as he's told, that's his duty as a shinobi. As long as the person telling him what to do pays the right amount. And his face shows me how much despair he felt killing a man who he had known for years, simply because it was his duty.

Maybe I'm just rambling here. I'm not too great at interpreting. But, since Zenzou may have been hired by Kamui/Shinsuke, and Sarutobi hired by the Bakufu, we may see a Sarutobi and Zenzou fight. Who knows? That'd be interesting.
Aug 3, 2014 3:24 PM
Jul 2014
I'm still hoping that the shogun isn't dead. That it may be Zenzo's plan or something. Liked that flashback.Makes it all the more depressing.

Okita vs. Kamui? Yes please!
Aug 3, 2014 8:59 PM

May 2012
Is this for real?? Shogun is really dead? will Zenzo join Takasugi since they dont have skilled ninja on their side and he said "Teaming up"?.
dammit Gorilla turn Kamui into Sayan..
You have my thanks Sougo, your brother-in-law is just right there..

After Watching Game Of Throne I feel nothing at all if any major char dies..

Aug 4, 2014 5:47 AM

Oct 2009
Hime-In-A-Box said:
So apparently, both Kamui's group (Along with Shinsuke) AND the Bakufu hired the Oniwaban to attack each other. From what I could tell. Since the Oniwaban have no masters, and only obey those who pay more, then Shinsuke and Kamui could easily get them to betray one another.
Zenzou must have killed the Shogun... because he wasn't doing his duty properly. Something along those lines. Zenzou did say, "We protect the duty of the shogun." They do not protect the shogun himself. Or, Zenzou found that the Shogun wasn't able to reunite the country.
Or, he was hired by Kamui/Shinsuke, and they paid more than the Bakufu did. He says "by giving your life, you've accomplished your duty as the shogun, and I have fulfilled my duty as a Shinobi." (Plus we actually got to see his eye during that scene, Lol.) The look on his face when he says that tells me;
He killed the shogun because he was hired to. He simply does as he's told, that's his duty as a shinobi. As long as the person telling him what to do pays the right amount. And his face shows me how much despair he felt killing a man who he had known for years, simply because it was his duty.

Maybe I'm just rambling here. I'm not too great at interpreting. But, since Zenzou may have been hired by Kamui/Shinsuke, and Sarutobi hired by the Bakufu, we may see a Sarutobi and Zenzou fight. Who knows? That'd be interesting.

I agree with that line of thought. Though I think it was the Shogun Shigeshige himself who said that the duty of the oniwabanshu was to protect the duty of the shogun. And the shogun's duty was to protect the people and the country at the risk of his life. I think both the shogun and zenzou realised that by fleeing to Kyou, he already lost all his power and so he could not do his duty as the shogun. He realised he would die so he said he would leave the rest to Zenzou; and Shigeshige seemed to be thoughtful of the fact that he wanted to just be an older brother to his little sister and just be normal, but he knew that could never happen on the path of the life he led. Zenzou has taken responsibility of this whole situation and probably intends to protect the country and the people on behalf of the shogun. Zenzou is currently working for the other side, but he probably only followed them for his advantage. Zenzou has his own code, probably what Sarutobi was going to tell to the others. A Sarutobi vs Zenzou would be cool, but it looks like Zenzou will probably die. In a real fight I can't see Sarutobi beating Zenzou.

I can't wait for the Kamui vs Sougo match! ^^
The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don't wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did.
Aug 4, 2014 11:35 AM

Feb 2014
Holy F, at the beginning of the arc thought it would be a joke arc like always with the shogun. Heck last chapter was still in a funny tone now it's all dark and bloodshed, this is why Gintama is so awesome.

Kondou's eyes when he stab that dude was so bloodthirsty and Okita was all casual teaching the Princess about anatomy. This arc is just pure awesomeness right now.
Aug 4, 2014 12:32 PM

Jun 2010
Dead Shogun is a big ol' red herring, I'm holding my ground. There are people with faces that aren't their own all over these chapters, I think I'm not wrong to take that as a hint.

The supposedly greatest ninja around kills the shogun and makes sure to leave a witness? Fishy. If the death were the end goal he wouldn't leave witnesses, ninjas aren't supposed to leave witnesses. He's being intentionally ostentatious about it, attracting attention to himself

"Kamui: This time I've got a contest going with Shinsuke. To see who can take the real Shogun's head." He says "real shogun" so does that mean they don't know where the real one is? Anyway, Takasugi and Kamui's people are the ones behind this backstabbing/takeover operation so if Hattori were working for them they'd know they have the real thing in the bag, but they don't. So who else could Hattori be working for? Is he acting on his own? Because of his "duty"? But just killing the Shogun wouldn't achieve much, the other people aiming for his seat would all just scramble to get it first.

Things don't add up so far for me, so I think it's much more likely that he and Sho-chan are acting out a plan that's playing both friends and foes (and readers) than the assassination being for real.
Aug 4, 2014 1:43 PM

Jul 2014
This is such an intense arc. Gintama doesn't return to the main story very often, but when it does it's always amazing.

bang-bang said:
Dead Shogun is a big ol' red herring, I'm holding my ground. There are people with faces that aren't their own all over these chapters, I think I'm not wrong to take that as a hint.

I really can't imagine the Shogun being dead (and I really hope he isn't). I really like him as a character and I really like Zenzou as well so I'm just hoping he didn't actually kill the Shogun and it was a double to throw off Takasugi/Kamui.

Amazing arc. Just needs more Katsura :-P
Aug 5, 2014 4:06 AM

Jun 2012
I really hope the shogun isn't dead, but then I also don't know how I'd feel if he ended up being alive at the end... I have faith that Sorachi will handle it well, whatever happens! Also the art when Zenzo had the shogun's head was really good (and he has eyes, who knew?!).

Can't wait to see just how intense this arc will get! It does sadden me that Katsura appears to be on standby yet again.
Aug 5, 2014 10:57 PM

Apr 2014
Theusis3 said:
Hime-In-A-Box said:

I agree with that line of thought. Though I think it was the Shogun Shigeshige himself who said that the duty of the oniwabanshu was to protect the duty of the shogun. And the shogun's duty was to protect the people and the country at the risk of his life. I think both the shogun and zenzou realised that by fleeing to Kyou, he already lost all his power and so he could not do his duty as the shogun. He realised he would die so he said he would leave the rest to Zenzou; and Shigeshige seemed to be thoughtful of the fact that he wanted to just be an older brother to his little sister and just be normal, but he knew that could never happen on the path of the life he led. Zenzou has taken responsibility of this whole situation and probably intends to protect the country and the people on behalf of the shogun. Zenzou is currently working for the other side, but he probably only followed them for his advantage. Zenzou has his own code, probably what Sarutobi was going to tell to the others. A Sarutobi vs Zenzou would be cool, but it looks like Zenzou will probably die. In a real fight I can't see Sarutobi beating Zenzou.

I can't wait for the Kamui vs Sougo match! ^^

I see what you mean, and now that I think about it, yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

All I can tell is, with this arc, something very big is going to happen. I feel like some important characters are going to die along with the shogun... at least one. Which is why I'm afraid. :(
Aug 6, 2014 5:55 AM

Mar 2013
It might be too soon to say this but I think this is going to be the best arc of the series yet. The conspiracy, rebellion, arch-villains, mind games all the stuff that's been happening in the shadows for years-- they're all out in the open. Kondou finally gets serious, series getting more gory and of course the moment that every fan have been dying to see -- Sougo vs Kamui. This is why the Anime has to resume. The Japanese fanbase need to go outside and sign a petition or something. lol

EDIT: All this arc needs is Katsura. And If the studio decides to make a movie out of this (ala Benizakura), I'm totally fine with that.
AngrySashimiAug 6, 2014 6:12 AM
Aug 6, 2014 4:02 PM

Jun 2011
Where´s mah Katsura? Seriously, when was the last time Katsura appeared in a serious arc and did something badass? Where is our Noble Fury?

About Shou-chan dying...eh.

I think we are jumping the gun. It´s probably something along these lines:
The Shou-chan we see in the flashback wasn´t the Shogun - it was someone from the ninja school who looked like the Shogun - or maybe Zenzou met him somewhere else. The point is, Zenzou was killing the person he knew since childhood who was destined to take the Shogun´s place in a time of crisis - as he looks just like the real Shou-chan.
The bit about "if I become shogun" was meant in a sense of "if I take the place of the shogun one day". In other words:
Zenzou probably got his "way of the ninja" from that person. From a small age this person was trained and prepared to one day take the place of the shogun and "take the bullet" for him - if there should ever be a serious attempt at the life of the shogun himself. Zenzou, who didn´t care for any of that stuff as a kid, met that person - and was impressed by how he took his own fate - how he could smile despite knowing that his whole life will revolve around dying for someone else - living the life of a fake.
Or something like that.

I mean the whole "look closely at that dead shogun, old man"-stuff...he´s the best shinobi there is, we´ve heard this over and over again - do you think he´d leave any traces?

But if Sorachi really killed off Shou-chan...I´m impressed. It actually makes this arc so much better, especially if the relation to Zenzou turns out to be something really heartbreaking - as in he had to kill his old friend, because that´s what being a shinobi is all about - you take jobs for money and fullfill your mission. That´s it. Even if your target is someone you know and love.

Though I hope Zenzou doesn´t die - in my eyes, his Gintoki´s equal - as in Gintoki (seems) to be the strongest samurai. Zenzou is the strongest shinobi. They both like to slack off, read jump and try to act cool whenever they have the opportunity to do so - and they both have a demon inside of that, that once it is triggered, you´d better stay out of their way.

Also, the strongest shinobi alive shouldn´t die - at least if it´s not the last arc.
Jul 13, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2015
As I predicted there were "shadows" among them.
This arc is amazing so far,Okita vs Kamui?Fuck yeah.
Jul 19, 2015 4:38 PM

Mar 2014
THIS FUCKING MANGA. YES. EVERYONE IS SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLORS.
Dec 30, 2015 12:36 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Wow, everything is getting bloody!

5/5
Aug 12, 2018 4:34 AM

Feb 2013
Sougo is too damn brutal, poor Hime-sama.
Feb 26, 2021 9:31 AM

Nov 2014
Welp
That escalated quickly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Chapter 487 Discussion

SilentTruth - Mar 26, 2014

6 by GreatestSaltboy »»
Apr 12, 3:02 AM

Poll: » JUMP MV /『Gintama』×『Samurai Heart (Some Like It Hot!!)』| SPYAIR

LittleStar - Jan 6

0 by LittleStar »»
Jan 6, 10:06 AM

Poll: » JUMP MV /『Gintama』×『Shura』| DOES

LittleStar - Jan 6

0 by LittleStar »»
Jan 6, 10:00 AM

» Gintama, the popularity vote has started! Who will you vote for?

kihel - Dec 18, 2023

2 by mokkocchi »»
Dec 19, 2023 1:22 AM

Poll: » Gintama Chapter 142 Discussion

VARIAchan - Feb 1, 2011

3 by tcandy19 »»
Jul 1, 2023 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.