Forum Settings
Forums

Canadian private clinic refuses to carry out interracial artificial inseminations

New
Jul 29, 2014 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
Calgary said:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/rainbow+families+Ethnic+donor+stipulation+fertility+centre/10063343/story.html?link=rss

A Calgary woman says she was shocked to learn of a policy at the city’s only fertility treatment centre that restricts patients from using sperm, eggs or embryos from donors who do not match their ethnic background.

Catherine, who asked to use only her first name, said she sought invitro fertilization at the Regional Fertility Program last March as a single woman. During routine consultations with her doctor she was told she could only use sperm from donors who were white, like her.

“That’s when everything went downhill,” she told the Herald. “I was absolutely floored.”

Dr. Calvin Greene, the clinic’s administrative director, confirmed the private facility will not treat couples or singles who insist on using donors of a different ethnicity. The policy has been in place since the clinic opened in the 1980s.

“I’m not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that’s what she wants,” he said. “That’s her prerogative, but that’s not her prerogative in our clinic.”

A statement on the clinic’s website reads: “it is the practice of the Regional Fertility Program not to permit the use of a sperm donor that would result in a future child appearing racially different than the recipient or the recipient’s partner.”

Greene said doctors at the clinic feel “a child of an ethnic background should have the ability to be able to identify with their ethnic roots.” He added patients should have a “cultural connection” to their donors.

The Alberta Human Rights Commission upheld the policy after a white couple brought a complaint against the clinic about five years ago, Greene said.

They were not infertile but had hoped to use non-Caucasian sperm. “Our psychologist evaluated them and really didn’t see why a couple that is not infertile should be choosing sperm donors they have no cultural relationship with.”

Interracial couples treated at the clinic have the option of using donors that are ethnically similar to either one of the partners, he added, noting most patients want their children to resemble them.

According to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, doctors can refuse to provide non-emergency treatment on moral grounds as long as they refer patients to other doctors who will. However the Regional Fertility Program is the only fertility clinic in Calgary, so patients must go to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Vancouver or beyond if they don’t agree with its policy. Women receiving fertility treatment often need daily or very frequent treatments for a matter of months.

Greene said the clinic’s policy follows similar guidelines used with in-province adoption and foster care, where children are placed with families of their same cultural background whenever possible.

“I would ask you, why would you not choose somebody of your own cultural background?”

Catherine said there are many reasons. By the time she narrowed down her pool of potential donors to those who met Canadian standards, had a good health history and a compatible blood type, she was left with only 20 or so Caucasian candidates to choose from. Many of them had already been used by several other patients in Calgary.

“Frankly, it’s appalling how many people have the same donors, probably because of this policy,” she said. “A friend of mine just went through this process and used the donor that I would have picked.”

Looking at other ethnicities significantly increased her options. While many people do want children who will look like them, she said she is less concerned with the colour of her potential child’s skin than the demeanour, personality and health history it might inherit from its biological father.

But Greene countered that there are lots of quality Caucasian donors available. “She needs to look harder, because I can tell you reasonable people can easily find a suitable donor.”

He added that visible minorities often have the most trouble finding candidates because their pool — as dictated by the clinic — is generally smaller.

Greene was adamant the rule follows the spirit of Canada’s Assisted Human Reproduction Act, which demands doctors place priority on the well-being of potential children and refrain from producing “designer” babies.

But Tim Caulfield, a University of Alberta law professor and legal expert in assisted reproduction, said the policy is “archaic.”

“To assume that the colour of one’s skin determines their culture, determines their well-being I think is unfortunate,” he said, noting many could argue the Regional Fertility Program is producing designer kids by virtue of its own restrictions.

Children whose ethnicity is different than their parents will “have a different life experience,” he acknowledged. But “to assume that these different types of life experiences somehow put them at a disadvantage, or that we have to ensure that everyone has some kind of ‘normal’ family is, I think, a mistake.”

The law around assisted reproduction is murky, he said, but in today’s multicultural society, and with demographic predictions holding that Caucasian people will soon be the minority in many Canadian cities, there is no way to dictate what a given family should look like.

Ultimately Catherine’s family may never involve biological children. At 38, she hasn’t yet ruled out returning to the clinic to continue her IVF, but her experience has made her reconsider whether she really needs to have a child of her own.

“I think I’ve come to terms and accepted that having children in your life doesn’t necessarily mean ownership of one.”

------------

Apart from the fact that the whole process of getting impregnated by someone you don't even know is gross in general, I actually kinda agree with this policy.

They should require their clients to live in a stable relationship though, having a child as a single mother is just selfish and disregarding of the child's wellbeing.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 29, 2014 10:42 PM

Mar 2013
Shiratori99 said:

They should require their clients to live in a stable relationship though, having a child as a single mother is just selfish and disregarding of the child's wellbeing.

Not if she's financially stable on her own.

"Whole" families are over rated.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 29, 2014 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
eh why not use semen from futas also does it really matter what ethic background the semen is from
RRRRRRRRRR
Jul 29, 2014 10:54 PM
Mar 2012
It's a private company; they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want in regards to their business.
Jul 30, 2014 1:14 AM

Aug 2007
ReonenMiruel said:
It's a private company; they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want in regards to their business.

Even if its racist?
Jul 30, 2014 2:00 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
ReonenMiruel said:

Even if its racist?

Why not? They don't hurt anymore, they merely refuse a service.

Jul 30, 2014 2:14 AM

May 2013
Whatever Canada do, it's always good.
Jul 30, 2014 2:54 AM
Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
ReonenMiruel said:

Even if its racist?
go to non-racist business, give them profits, win through market share. yay capitalism!
Jul 30, 2014 3:09 AM

Apr 2012
Unnatural conception to make test tube babies = good
Interracial babies = bad

Kind of a weird place to draw the line I think.
This sort of reminds me of the people who think they're still virgins if they've only had anal sex and not vaginal. logic
Jul 30, 2014 3:37 AM

Mar 2013
SamuelLJackson said:
Interracial babies = bad

This sort of reminds me of the people who think they're still virgins if they've only had anal sex and not vaginal. logic

As long as the blood balloon aint popped
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 30, 2014 4:36 AM

Apr 2012
DerpHole said:
SamuelLJackson said:
Interracial babies = bad

As long as the blood balloon aint popped

You know the saying, a hole is a hole.
Jul 30, 2014 10:38 AM

Jan 2011
Good.
Jul 30, 2014 10:55 AM

Jul 2014
Kind of weird, but like someone said, it's a private company with it's own politics. The woman can just go to another clinic and pick whatever ethnic group she wants.
Jul 30, 2014 11:16 AM

Mar 2013
That's pretty stupid. I live in Canada but I'm Greek. Me and my whole family used to live in Greece and we are culturally Greek. My Canadian boyfriend is culturally Canadian but we are both white. We have different religions. I was raised pure Greek Orthodox. His mixed cultural but still all white family is Mormon, Jewish and Catholic.

Culture and skin color have nothing to do with each other.
Jul 30, 2014 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
Kaiju said:
That's pretty stupid. I live in Canada but I'm Greek. Me and my whole family used to live in Greece and we are culturally Greek. My Canadian boyfriend is culturally Canadian but we are both white. We have different religions. I was raised pure Greek Orthodox. His mixed cultural but still all white family is Mormon, Jewish and Catholic.

Culture and skin color have nothing to do with each other.

Yeah, but you can much easier identify with (and get accepted by) people who look similar to you. That's just how it is. Raising a mixed child in an ethnically largely homogenous environment puts an unnecessary strain on them, especially if one of its parents is absent (as is the case here).

Jul 30, 2014 4:33 PM
May 2007
The clinic is ultimately a private business and has that right to conduct their business the way they want unless Canada's government regulated health care system can intervene in this matter (don't know the rules on that though)
Jul 30, 2014 5:14 PM

Jul 2014
Private Clinics are free to do what they want , it's like the american health care..
Jul 30, 2014 5:33 PM

Jan 2014
ParaParaJMo said:
The clinic is ultimately a private business and has that right to conduct their business the way they want unless Canada's government regulated health care system can intervene in this matter (don't know the rules on that though)
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 30, 2014 8:49 PM

Dec 2007
KAMIN_A said:
Private Clinics are free to do what they want , it's like the american health care..

Actually, Canadian private clinics probably have more freedom . . .
Jul 30, 2014 9:06 PM
Mar 2012
Heredity said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Even if its racist?
go to non-racist business, give them profits, win through market share. yay capitalism!

Exactly this ^

Yay capitalism!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.