Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 17, 2012 2:54 PM

Jul 2011
The backstory made me teary. The prince is so adorable!! The fact that he's voiced by a little boy's voice is so awesome! Little kids should be voiced by little kids! (Like Rin from Usagi Drops. Adorableness!) I like kids that aren't annoying.

I'm really liking this series! And the fights are wicked fast and epic.

EDIT: 2016, STILL LOVING IT. Chagum's not so much adorable as he is courageous and determined.
I absolutely love how Balsa is portrayed as very strong, but she still uses her environment and constantly tries to gain the upperhand. I don't think she has intentionally tried to kill anyone yet; instead kicking them in the balls, bashing them with rocks... verisimilitude. <33
MirorinJan 21, 2016 1:33 AM
Jun 27, 2013 11:51 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
mitamaking said:
Oh I liked the guy who got developed then died. Good fight scenes too.

Yeah his flashback was touching. Although I've never been in such a situation, I could totally understand how big of deal a simple gesture like that from the prince was to him. I actually hope he's not dead D:

But yeah, awesome fight scenes. Not that I've watched that many anime from 2007, but even I can tell that the animation was really fluid for the action scenes. Seriously, so intense o_o but I think the sound director could've made the sound effects a little less louder, they were hurting my ears a little, even though the volume was just perfect when they were talking.

Chagum. It's only episode 3, but I have much respect for you. This boy's got guts. I have a fear of heights and would never for the life of me, be even able to climb up that rock. He almost gave up, but then realized he had to keep going. Love this kid already.
Nov 9, 2013 1:30 PM

Dec 2012
The fight sequences in this are absolutely intense. Chagum is surprisingly a good natured boy albeit naive and sheltered. Also very brave of him to go across that rock. The battle at the end was the best yet and the ost is so powerful in this series. I got this cold creeping on my spine when Balsa looked over to the corpse next to her with his stone cold eyes, freshly carved from death.
Dec 24, 2013 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
Everyone is raving about the fight sequences... and so will I. They were very nicely choreographed, on par with the fights in Sword of the Stranger. You can tell Balsa is experienced and smart when fighting outnumbered because she was constantly retreating to position herself and gain upper ground. The second fight (from Balsa's past?) was equally thrilling to watch.
Feb 13, 2014 5:45 AM

Nov 2009
Love the action scenes in this series . . . anyways, not sure I got the bit near the end, with those two spearmen fighting, was that her recalling her past (the little girl poking her head out behind the tree looked somewhat like Balsa) . . . Anyways, definitely starting to fall in love with this series, the scenery and the action scenes are like the icing on the cake of an already good plot with interesting characters. I could see this series becoming a 9 for me . . .
Jan 11, 2015 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing animation during the fights.
How could Balsa almost die this soon.
Feb 9, 2015 12:00 PM
Aug 2014
Seems everyone is praising the fight scenes and with good reason they looked terrific. Really like that they're fighting with polearms.
Mar 15, 2015 2:41 AM

Nov 2013
Holy shit. Those fight scenes were SO FUCKING SAVAGE!

Seeing Balsa nail that guy with the rock was godly amounts of awesome.

Poor Chagum. Having to trek through those forests all alone.

Balsa's so badass holding her own against those four hunters.

NO BALSA PLEASE DON'T DIE! ; __ ;

Epic episode. Seriously holy fucking shit those fight scenes did not disappoint.

9.5/10
FunnyRatmanMar 15, 2015 2:47 AM

Aug 13, 2015 1:59 AM

Feb 2015
The series was in my plan to watch list for a long time. I wish that i had picked it up earlier. This episode was awesome.
Aug 27, 2015 1:49 PM

Dec 2013
Just how amazingly this episode was crafted, the rainy night atmosphere was simply perfect. Chagum's journey through the so called bear's back was more intense and heavy than you'd expect.

Briliant episode.
Sep 23, 2015 1:36 AM

Mar 2012
Oh man I'm not afraid of heights but dam was that nerve-racking when Chagum was walking and slipping on that ridge. Also, the fights were pretty awesome.

Confucius said:
I think I be screaming if I had to walk on that ridge. I actually think he should
crawl

Yes, no way in hell would I walk that while it's raining. Crawling would be the safest option.
Nov 11, 2015 9:17 AM

Jan 2012
So she died.

Mar 7, 2016 2:14 PM

Mar 2010
Absolutely beautiful in every conceivable way.
Oct 2, 2016 7:06 AM

Jun 2009
damn the fight choreography in this series is great.
Oct 3, 2016 5:52 PM

Mar 2016
One of the best action scenes i've seen in my live, I.G. Production outdid them selves. :)
Jan 13, 2017 5:22 PM

Jan 2010
I read once that you should watch Moribito if you ever wanted to see spear fighting properly animated.

So, this is what they were talking about. Whoa.

Also, I see that Moribito tries to run on the realistic logic that a stab actually draws blood, and that bloodloss can and will be fatal if left untreated. It's not something you can walk off, and it's an interesting change to see actually portrayed.
Sep 15, 2017 5:01 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, the fighting choreography and animation is simply spectacular!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 30, 2018 2:02 AM

Nov 2011
Crimsonwill said:
Only thing I felt was unreal in episode was that the assassin would go so far over the small show of kindness when the prince gave him the lollies, maybe in the heat of the moment that act of kindness meant a lot to him but I felt that was the only unreal part.

I think that is the main point.. Simple kindness sometimes can save a person life ...

By the way, I rewatching this show, and the fight at the end made my eyes wet.. (That was from Balsa's past, the story is really sad)
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 23, 2018 3:27 PM

Sep 2011
This was really intense! Balsa stood her ground against four strong opponents, and it's a pity that her spear lost its spearhead during the fight, but we all saw it coming, but the fight was incredible, you can pretty much say she won. I felt bad for the hunter that lost his memento of the prince though, it clearly gave him emotional support so far, that is, if he's even still alive because he was hit with a stone in the head. lol

Chagum was really brave too, not at first, he didn't hide himself well or anything, but after seeing Balsa like that he didn't waste any time into doing what she asked, and now that Tanda got to her before the sunrise, I guess she will be safe. And it seems that last battle was a memory of her past, with those warriors wielding the same spear as her, it was great too, the one that survived might be the one that taught her how to fight or something, this is getting really good, and this is random, but the Saya girl reminds a little of Hikari from Digimon with that hair. xD
Jan 1, 2019 11:32 AM

Feb 2017
Holy hell, those fight scenes were awesome. And did that Jin guy really die? I had feeling that he might help Balsa and Chagum in the future.
Mar 7, 2019 12:58 PM

May 2007
Seeing such amazing choreography was a pleasant surprise.
Really looking forward to watching the rest.

Jun 22, 2019 3:07 PM

Dec 2018
For a 24 episode anime the story looks to be weighing heavily towards emotional impact. The fight scenes were great to watch however seldom. I understand why this show was a hit success over a decade ago. The outdated animation style still bothers me though.
Aug 10, 2019 2:59 AM

May 2015
NAAAW NO MY BALSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 3, 2020 12:29 AM

May 2017
This shpw has still some of the best fighting scenes in all anime. I love the realistic, but hype animations.
Jan 19, 2021 4:54 PM

Jul 2017
This episode was all kinds of awesome. Moribito has some of the most underrated fight scenes in all of anime, it truly looks absolutely wonderful and even better than most regular anime fights you get nowadays for TV anime. The combat and choreography has the perfect balance of epic and insane with realism, and mixes both in such a fast-paced, exciting manner with brilliant directing and superb night lighting, to create a visual experience and adrenaline-rush like no other.

Even more impactful knowing that while Balsa is really good with the spear and combat, she's not overpowered by any means and can easily be beat even by some talented guards, she is not a perfect character with perfect morals but has so many traits that makes her fascinating and easy to root for regardless.

The music as well for the entire episode was unbelievably good and the atmosphere and tension built here was so intense yet bloodpumping at the same time.
Nov 4, 2021 3:12 AM

Sep 2016
Holy shit, these fights were awesome! Also, love the fact that Balsa isn't a generic unstoppable badass, while she is strong but she still have to struggle with her fight.
Apr 7, 2022 12:34 AM

Jul 2016
fk i accidentally deleted my comment

i wrote a hell of a lot

i'm too tired to rewrite it but 20/10 episode, HUGE rewatch value, everything, this series is like a fking movie, cinematic asf
Aug 16, 2022 6:00 AM

Sep 2018
The ending was pretty confusing, with those two dueling it out, amazing fight choreography though.
Mar 5, 2023 4:23 PM

Jun 2020
I internally cheered when the Hunters all attacked at once and actually put up a decent fight, we ain't in Clicheville anymore!

I like how the villains aren't actually villains, just people with a different point of view. The Master Star Reader is being obstructive and his pride glasses mean he can't see beyond the end of his nose. but what government official isn't lol. Hopefully Jin survived.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Aug 26, 2023 1:44 PM

Aug 2017
Love the drama here, and all the character look interesting (I like the supporting children as well). Fighting animation is excellent though I'm not sure how I feel about choreography itself (it's kinda faster than it should be realistically, but with such animation I ain't complaining)

Also loved the duel, it also seemed to show two person who knew each other fight to death (maybe they were brothers?), so in a sense their situation is close to Balsa's implied backstory. And the dude died looking at her. Very impressive scene.
Aug 27, 2023 8:38 PM

Apr 2016
The action scenes were so thrilling, that rock truly hit him xD
The prince was properly annoying without being insufferable but is funny that the wolf didn't catch him.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.