Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 14, 2009 2:22 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ushio really knows how to kill the mood; a part of me wished it was a little more melodramatic instead of comedic though.

Poor Akemiya though, what an odd way to get somebody's attention. It looks more than getting attention though... more like a fetish. I loved the part when he called Simuka cute though, she looked so dazed. Hopefully we get to see him more often later on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2009 2:56 PM
Jun 2008
*erases manga from memory*

This was honest to goodness really sweet and surprisingly quite touching. When Akemiya tells Sumi he thinks she's cute and she gets so flustered and happy over it, when Sumi went digging her her stuff looking for something cute and realising she doesn't own anything girly, when Ushio says that Sumi's not her type, and when Akemiya says he was glad she didn't think he was disgusting--those were some really heavy moments, at least for me.

I would recommend that people not regard this in the way they did the manga. It is really different, in terms of the genres. The manga is a comedy. The anime seems to be a romantic drama.
Oct 14, 2009 4:09 PM

Aug 2009
I feel bad for Akemiya, getting rejected and all. But I guess that's the way it is for Sumi too. This episode definitely felt more comedic than last episode. So far though, this series is very enjoyable.
Oct 14, 2009 4:10 PM
Mar 2009
Sweet, it's out.

Who's left subbing this, other than CR?

Oct 14, 2009 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
There doing a fantastic job so far with turning it in to an anime <3
I love the part when he tells her she's cute tho. xD
Oct 14, 2009 4:39 PM

Sep 2007
tehnominator said:
*erases manga from memory*

I really should do that too =_= Cos it is a pretty good yuri romance story with decent amount of drama, yet a little voice in the back of my mind is screaming "Where is my yuri comedy?!" >_<
Oct 14, 2009 4:40 PM

Jun 2009
agh.>_<
is it me or Sumi doesn't sound like Elen from phantom at all> her voice.
Anyways=_=
poor akemiya....
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 14, 2009 4:45 PM

Feb 2008
hahaha that was amusing. i really love the background music in this. it gives the show a rather nice atmosphere .
Oct 14, 2009 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

Ushio really knows how to kill the mood; a part of me wished it was a little more melodramatic instead of comedic though.

Poor Akemiya though, what an odd way to get somebody's attention. It looks more than getting attention though... more like a fetish. I loved the part when he called Simuka cute though, she looked so dazed. Hopefully we get to see him more often later on.

Really? I thought this wasn't comedic enough. And Akemiya doesn't take off the dress, even when not in public. So it's really looking like a fetish.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2009 6:19 PM
Mar 2009
CkretAznMan said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Really? I thought this wasn't comedic enough. And Akemiya doesn't take off the dress, even when not in public. So it's really looking like a fetish.

No, he did take off the dress, but he has lolita nightgowns, which is just as disturbing.

I know that this shows all about the lesbians, but I really wish that for once an anime or manga could choose not to go the obvious route and make a story simply for the fans. I'd rather that Sumi ended up with Akemiya, but as the show is obviously aimed at the lesbian loving crowd, it won't happen T__T

A nice enough episode though.

Oct 14, 2009 6:20 PM

Sep 2008
CkretAznMan said:
HawthorneKitty said:

I guess you're right; it just hasn't sunk into my mind that it's supposed to be a comedy...or I favor drama a lot more... maybe both.
Oct 14, 2009 7:36 PM
Feb 2009
Hmm...The timing in some parts were kind of off for me. The parts I can remember where it didn't show its ugly rear were: Akemiya calling Sumi cute and he's dragged off to clarify it, Sumi and Ushio walking together and the rejection, and how Sumi realises that she got 'beaten in cuteness by a guy'. I also like the little scene at the end of the episode. :3

The music continues to annoy me...though I guess it's hard to transition from mellow piano pieces to upbeat, high notes. x_x
Oct 14, 2009 9:11 PM

May 2009
That was really enjoyable for me. Its so cute how Sumi had the courage to go stand infront of Ushio's door but couldn't get herself to actually ring the doorbell.
Oct 14, 2009 11:11 PM

Sep 2009
I enjoyed the episode...but I feel like I could use either more drama or more comedy.
Oct 15, 2009 3:11 AM

Oct 2009
I was confused in the beginning because I though it was Kazama for some time until I figured out it was Akemiya. Was this due to his sister getting into modeling like it says in the information of characters or he is doing it to please Sumika? I did find it funny the burst of Sumika in the magazine place and Akemiya was there too. Does Kazama think of herself as cute or just likes Akemiya as a girl because she blushes a lot looking at the magazine. I also though that Sumika was a little agressive (she did shove him on the wall) on Akemiya after he told her she was cute. I do like Sumika for not letting herself be insulted by the boys of thinking of her as a sword. Is it my imagination or Kazama breasts are shown off too much? Also what were the roses that Sumika brough for? Hoping Akemiya and Sumika go out.

chinlamp said:
No, he did take off the dress, but he has lolita nightgowns, which is just as disturbing.

Yeah it is but was his own fault or his sister is my question above as I wonder.
chinlamp said:
I know that this shows all about the lesbians, but I really wish that for once an anime or manga could choose not to go the obvious route and make a story simply for the fans. I'd rather that Sumi ended up with Akemiya, but as the show is obviously aimed at the lesbian loving crowd, it won't happen T__T

Yeah I hope too that Sumika ends up with Akemiya. We will have to see.
francismeunierOct 15, 2009 3:14 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 15, 2009 3:48 AM
Jun 2008
chinlamp said:

I know that this shows all about the lesbians, but I really wish that for once an anime or manga could choose not to go the obvious route and make a story simply for the fans.

That was part of the humour in the manga. It had nearly every trope you could possibly imagine:

+ meganekko
+ dojikko
+ giant school girl
+ hell, school girls
+ zettai ryouiki
+ trap
+ loli
+ yuri

But it did this as sort of a tip of the hat. I personally think that the creator of the manga did all this to get an audience, and when that happened, the mangaka turned it all on its face and started working on his story. It's sort of like having a really good book, but you have to have a colourful cover to get people's attention. I doubt, for example, so many kids would have first read Harry Potter were the cover plain black with the title in gloss. No, the wizard boy, the monsters, the magic all attracted them.

Sasameki Koto's "skin" is made to attract people (hence the fan pandering), let their let their guards down (thus the first couple of chapters were simply pure comedy) and then when it captures their attention, deliver a heavier romance/drama.

The anime has more scope since the manga has reached a certain point. The animators have opted to incorporate the drama and the romance early on, to make the transition more seamless rather than surprising as it occurred in the manga.

So stuff like the trap etc. seems less of a fetish than it could be. I mean honestly... take Akemiya's last words in the episode. He said something to the effect of, "Thank God, she didn't think I was disgusting." with this pained look on his face.

See what the writer did there? He turned what is something so undeniably fetish-y into something serious.

I think Akemiya likes cross-dressing. While it might have been fuelled by his miscalculated ambition to get Sumika to notice him and while his sister fuelled the hobby, I don't think he has a problem dressing like a girl. He is rather effeminate, in any case.

And I think his crush on Sumi is incredibly cute. He really accepts her for who she is: violent, rough, tall and unladylike. But to him, she's still cute. It makes me feel sorry for him, actually. Were Sumi interested in him, I'd be rooting for them.

Actually, the manga made her crush on Kazama seem obvious from the get-go. The anime built on it until we got a clear understanding in this episode that she's only got eyes for Kazama.

It probably would enrage yuri fans to mention it but I'd rather Sumika be with someone who treats her right, loves her unconditionally, and wouldn't make her sad. And that would be Akemiya. Most yuri anime portray guys as non-entities or douches (save for Aoi Hana, where the guys are really nice and caring), but at least Sasameki Koto treats Akemiya well even though they feminised him.
Oct 15, 2009 5:53 AM
Jun 2008
Zilpzalp said:

Oh, come on now, the cover of Harry Potter I sucks.

I liked 'em. The Scholastic version. That Bloomsbury ugliness can burn itself.
Oct 15, 2009 6:12 AM

Jun 2008
Somehow I laughed more at this than at most comedy anime... At least to me this is just as funny as the manga.

Anyway, decent episode, they built up the tension wonderfully. This makes me empathize with Sumika even more.

Great example of how feelings can be one hell of a complicated thing.
Oct 15, 2009 6:58 AM

Jun 2007
God I love this.
tehnominator already said pretty much everything else in his first post.
Oct 15, 2009 7:59 AM

Apr 2009
I thought that she's like REALLY tall, but she's 1,75?

And I felt sorry for Akemiya...poor guy XD
Though the ending was weird...oo XDD

Anyway, this ep. was way better than the first one^-^

And, am I the only person who finds Ushio annoying? >>
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 15, 2009 9:11 AM

May 2009
GothicQueen said:

It's seventeen centimetres above the average height of Japanese women, and five above that of Japanese men.
A European would have to be about 183cm to compare, which is pretty tall.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Oct 15, 2009 11:54 AM

Mar 2008
I actually thought there was a reasonable amount of comedy in it. I love my drama and emotional parts beside the comedy. Mixture of those elements seems fine to me.

Great episode. Really looking forward to more.

But really, Ushio is the female version of your typical male lead. Quite hilarious to see a girl going after every fine skirt. XD
Oct 15, 2009 12:00 PM

Oct 2007
"I am cute!"

Now that is really something. I can rewatch that for as long as I could.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 15, 2009 12:12 PM

Apr 2009
Ceska said:
GothicQueen said:

It's seventeen centimetres above the average height of Japanese women, and five above that of Japanese men.

17cm?! Oo
wow...

And lol, one of the girls from my class is 183 cm tall...XDDD
and she's 14...oo
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 15, 2009 1:18 PM

Mar 2009
I liked that the especially the cross dressing boy seems like that could become an interesting story.

Oct 15, 2009 4:34 PM

May 2009
It was ok
Definitely an improvement over last episode
But still boring
Especially the first half
Hopefully the series continues to go uphill (at a faster pace preferably =3)

Oct 15, 2009 5:12 PM

Jan 2009
I can has yuri now?

Pacing was much better this episode, keep me into the whole episode. Definitely excited for this series now.
Oct 15, 2009 6:05 PM

Dec 2007
just watched episode 2 and man you have no idea how much i hate this anime.
if i dont start to like it more by next episode then ill probably drop it.

i rate the episode a 1/5
Oct 15, 2009 6:43 PM
Jun 2008
Mathes said:
God I love this.
tehnominator already said pretty much everything else in his first post.

It's been a while since someone called me a guy on this site... how nostalgic :P
Oct 15, 2009 8:17 PM

Feb 2008
I just want to say that, I pity those Crunchyroll watchers, especially for this episode.

I don't mean to troll, but their translation accuracy and so-called edits gave me quite a headache.
I think, they also should learn how not to not translate parts of the episode and important signs.

The episode was really sweet but CR ruined it for me. I should've watched it raw before watching it with subs.
mflatischler.tk - My Manga translations and transcriptions
Anime in Blu-ray
あなたの人種、年齢、宗教は問いません
Oct 15, 2009 8:34 PM

Apr 2008
And, am I the only person who finds Ushio annoying? >>

She gets worse -o-, at least in chapters 18+ of the manga. We'll just have to deal with it xD

Awesome episode! I dunno how the boys keep saying Sumika isn't cute, she has a cute face -o-. Well, not the attitude xD.

I want my TomoexMiyako nao
Oct 15, 2009 9:02 PM
Oct 2009
First post ever. Yoroshiku!

I have been enjoying the show. I think you will see most shows will try to make an impression to get viewers, that is kind of expected, and is not limited to this show.

So far the quality of the show been quite good -- it is actually the first time I actually touched this genre, so it certainly feels new. What I really like the most is the characters are lovable yet feel believable -- I often see in other shows that characters may be entertaining, but "who the heck will act like that."

I just want to say that, I pity those Crunchyroll watchers, especially for this episode.

I have opted to watch the raw -- with no subtitles. The Japanese language of the show is not too difficult, so I figure out what they say most of the time. I would rather I guess what I cannot hear than get told by something that may be wrong. ><
Oct 15, 2009 10:31 PM

Apr 2009
I can see this is easily going to be one of my favorites this season! Reminds me of Aoi Hana.
Oct 15, 2009 10:52 PM

Jul 2008
Eight foot rim.
Oct 15, 2009 11:14 PM

Oct 2009
hankgathers said:
Eight foot rim.

I would to say that Sumi-chan's dunk was nice.

Oct 16, 2009 8:59 AM
Nov 2008
I'm enjoying this show enough, I think I'll be sticking with it. Episode was not too heavy, and had some very clear light moments, which is exactly what I was hoping for after the first episode. I'm liking all of the characters, and certainly want to see what the future holds for all of them.
Oct 16, 2009 9:01 AM
Oct 2008
The second episode was okay, not as good as the first one though, but I really, REALLY hope they don't keep following the same pattern in the next few episodes.
Oct 16, 2009 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
I'm not completely sold on this show yet but so far I really like it. I feel for the characters which is always a good sign, I really want Murasame and Kazama to be happy together. XD
Oct 16, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2008
Ah yes..this is different about what I read that happened in the manga with Akemiya's gender issue. I honestly thought he was a girl in the beginning, despite the male uniform.

I feel bad for Sumi though..damn Ushio :/

Oct 16, 2009 6:34 PM

Feb 2009
This was cute. It's kinda weird that the guy that's crushing on Sumi likes to dress up like a girl...to the point of having makeup and sleeping in nightgowns. Kinda weird.

I loved this episode though, however I wish they would choose whether to make it comedic or romantic, having both in this...it just feels like they aren't mixing it right. :/

And yes, I find Ushio incredibly annoying. She's acting like a guy drooling over every girl that comes by.

Oct 16, 2009 8:36 PM
Feb 2009
lupi_san said:

Awesome episode! I dunno how the boys keep saying Sumika isn't cute, she has a cute face -o-. Well, not the attitude xD.

Maybe it's the glasses, and those boys aren't into girls with glasses. I'm pretty sure even with that attitude, Sumika would've attracted more than one admirer (maybe Akemiya's the only one brave enough to confess :P).
Oct 16, 2009 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
DarcyD said:
I loved this episode though, however I wish they would choose whether to make it comedic or romantic, having both in this...it just feels like they aren't mixing it right. :/

Yeah I agree with this. The comedy bits kind of seem to break up the flow of the show for me.
Oct 16, 2009 10:34 PM

Nov 2007
LOL I did not see that coming. That was great. :D
Oct 16, 2009 11:46 PM

Aug 2009
Really? No one posted it yet?

Okay then I'll do it.

Oct 17, 2009 2:35 AM

Oct 2009
garfield15 said:
Really? No one posted it yet?

Okay then I'll do it.

Yeah talk about trap, I even though it was Kazama in the beginning with the model thing.

Oct 17, 2009 6:21 AM

Jul 2008
Awww, Sumi-chan is so cute :'DDDD
This episode was definitely better than the first one ! Not so boring and slow-paced either and the characters had more deepness :------)))

Oct 17, 2009 6:50 AM
Sep 2009
I started watching this anime last night out of boredness but its turning out to be a really nice show and i enjoy it...this considering it my first yuri anime and i'm not much of a fan of the genre but the anime is sweet and pretty and the characters are very likable...pretty good eh?
Oct 17, 2009 11:40 PM

Jul 2009
It's funny, most people who have complaints about this seem to be that it's less comedy driven than the manga. I haven't read the manga, so I don't know what it's like, but my biggest complaint is that there's too much silly generic anime comedy going on. It's not a lot, but it's enough to distract from the overall story. It's not bad really, just a little annoying, I suppose.
Oct 18, 2009 2:06 AM

May 2009
Cute episode, one of the two shows I planned to see this season, and I'm not disappointed thus far.
Zilpzalp said:
Sure, this is off topic, but WHY are all of them that small?

Question should rather be why Europeans are this tall nowadays, since they weren't. Sure, the industrial revolution did a whole lot, but the amount of growth over the generations appear more than for Asians in the same time, from my perspective.
GothicQueen said:
Ceska said:
GothicQueen said:

17cm?! Oo
wow...

And lol, one of the girls from my class is 183 cm tall...XDDD
and she's 14...oo

Now, she definitely seems huge to you, no? Same goes for Fumika.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Oct 18, 2009 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
;_;

"I want to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarcyD - Dec 30, 2009

127 by euls »»
Apr 14, 12:16 AM

» Who the $@#% thought this was a good way to end this series?!?

KingYoshi - Apr 8, 2013

10 by stockhousing »»
Jan 31, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 4 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Oct 28, 2009

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 12 Discussion

Proselyt - Dec 23, 2009

31 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:46 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Dec 16, 2009

58 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.