Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for an Anime where the MC has a hidden power / strength

New
Jul 28, 2014 4:16 PM
Jul 2014
Hello everyone. I'm relatively new here, and figured this would be my best bet to ask for suggestions in finding an anime that not only I, but many others have asked for in the past.

To start off, the anime i am looking for requires the main character, preferably male, but not limited to, to have a secret power or hidden strength. I'm not talking about an anime where the MC has no idea about his power, either. I'm specifically looking for anime that fits this niche.

As i have scavenged through not only yahoo, but this site too, i have noticed that the same, but never any new anime mentioned that pertains to what i am interested in. Chrome Shelled Regios, Trigun, and Legend of the Legendary Hero's are the three most common, and, obviously most fitting anime that i am looking for. I'm going to give a brief summary of what i liked the most in these three anime in hopes that there is other anime similar to them. However, if you have watched these, feel free to skip the brief summary.

<Feel free to skip these next 3 summaries if you have seen these anime>
In CSR, the MC moved away from his hometown for two reasons. One, he was exiled. Two, he wanted a new life. With this new life, he was looking to escape his military past. By doing this, he would join a civilian-like academy, and advance his life from there. Unfortunately for him, he was dragged into the military because of his powers. However, the fact that he kept his powers a secret from almost the entire team is why i liked this the most. He didn't want to be in the spot light. He didn't want others to be overshadowed by him, so he acted weak, and allowed others to have their time to shine. He was very humble about it. This, right there, is why i liked this anime a lot. Even though he showed his strength relatively early on, he did it for the team, and not because "he could."

Trigun is very similar in the same regard, except the MC acted in a way that it was almost like it was dumb luck that he managed to win, or achieve victory. It was obvious to the viewer that he was very talented, but the reaction of the crowd and the people in the series is what i liked the most. He was a gullible guy who by no means was weak, nor pathetic. He acted this way because (at least, my viewpoint of it) he didn't like the rumors about him. He didn't enjoy being the ruthless, murder everyone seemed to know him by.

Lastly, there is Legend of the Legendary Hero's. This one is arguable as good, if not better than both CSR and Trigun in my opinion, of course. The MC has the eyes of a "demon", and is regarded as such. He is by far, one of the laziest characters out there, which is probably the biggest reason why i love him the most. I'm not specifically looking for anime where the character is a good for nothing, or just lazy. In this anime, this character is strong, and unreliably strong. What i mean by this, is he is strong in the fact that he can use his eyes to negate(?) magic, and stop it almost completely. He is unreliably strong because once his true powers are activated, he goes on a rampage, and can't stop it himself. He requires the help of others to "put him down", and close his eyes so that he can regain control of himself. My favorite scene in this anime is right in the beginning where he is paired up with another character for magic training. He pretends to be easily knocked down by her magic. Everyone thinks he is a joke, a loser, and a weakling. However, as the scene continues, it shows how he quickly blocked the magic attack at the last second, only to fake getting hit. Besides just that scene, another reason why i like this anime so much is the fact that he carries such a heavy burden by bearing the stigma eyes. In a sense, this is very similar to that of CSR, where both MC's have a past literally steaming with burdens.
<Summaries over>

So, to get straight to the point after all that wall of text, i am looking for an MC who is strong, but hides his powers for any reason. Whether it be to hide from the past, to not scarring off others because of the power or strength to begin with, to looking for a new life in general. I am -not- looking for any anime where the main character is unaware of his powers or strengths.

I am NOT looking for anime that is like Naruto, Blue Exorcist, Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, or any anime where the character is either unknowing of his power, or has to train for it. Naruto had to train to get to where he was, but he also relied on a demon which he didn't even know about until how many episodes later. The same goes for the MC in Blue Exorcist. One day he just gained the effects of his true powers. He was completely oblivious to the entire situation regarding himself, and his newly awaken powers. I personally am not interested in that, even though those two anime were exceptional to begin with. Kenichi, although he did work hard for his strength, is not something i am currently looking for. Layfon, Ryner, and Vash all had one thing in common. They all knew about their powers, and they all had their power or strength previous to any training in the series. Sure, Vash got a 'new' power later on in the series, but he was already strong in the first place.

TL:DR
>Strong MC
>Hides his powers / strength / Intellect
>Already has his powers, and knows about it / Doesn't suddenly awaken out of nowhere
>Trying to live life normally / make a new life / escape the old life

P.S. Forgot to add that i have seen / watching The Irregular at Magic High School, and this anime also fits what i am looking for.

Would also like to mention Tokyo Ghoul simply because the MC has to hide his new 'secret' from everyone, especially his best friend in order to live.

Edit one again: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar is another one i forgot to mention. This one was good because there was subtle hints that the MC was really strong, but never had a chance to prove himself, and, he never tried to prove himself, either. When push came to shove, he just "wowed" everyone. Although this is slightly off from what i am originally looking for, it has the basic concept of what i like because no one actually knows how good the MC is until push comes to shove.

NotAClicheNameJul 29, 2014 3:35 AM
Jul 28, 2014 4:43 PM

Jul 2013
Blassreiter
Darker than Black
Ghost Hunt
Natsume Yuujinchou
Towa no Quon movies
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke (Andy keeps a portion of his powers a secret)
Yami no Matsuei (Asato keeps his past and a few abilities secret)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2014 6:03 PM

Dec 2011
NotAClicheName said:

What you're looking for is basically what I have been looking for. I don't think you'll find any recommendations that are truly what you want. People will recommend stupid things without reading what you have talked about. Good luck, I don't have anything to recommend but i'll be keeping an eye on this thread mainly because this is something I like.
"Neither devil nor death. I am just murder."
Jul 28, 2014 6:12 PM

Jun 2014
TL; DR
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Code Breaker
Jul 28, 2014 6:28 PM
Aug 2012
I second Darker Than Black. Also, maybe you should give Nurarihyon No Mago (both seasons) a shot? If I remember correctly, it relatively fits what you're looking for.
Jul 29, 2014 3:29 AM
Jul 2014
VioletRage said:
Blassreiter
Darker than Black
Ghost Hunt
Natsume Yuujinchou
Towa no Quon movies
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke (Andy keeps a portion of his powers a secret)
Yami no Matsuei (Asato keeps his past and a few abilities secret)

Thank you for some pretty new suggestions. Right now the one that caught my eye is Towa No Quon, and although he is already known for his strength on his own team, i like it because he still has his identity hidden from the other team. Watched the first two episodes and am really liking it so far!
NotAClicheNameJul 29, 2014 4:22 AM
Jul 29, 2014 5:46 AM

Aug 2013
+1 Darker than black
+1 Nurarihyon no mago
Aug 1, 2014 9:56 AM
Jul 2014
I've picked up a little of Darker than Black, though, a little confused by who is actually good, and bad. I have a feeling it's the classic example of the "good guys" chasing down the "bad guys", but the "good guys" are actually corrupt and just classified anyone not normal as bad. At least, that's the gist that i got from it. Will continue watching it to see how it goes.

Also, code breaker is looking pretty good from the summary. I'm hoping that it will turn out good.

If anyone else has anymore suggestions, please continue to list them. I might be a little slow with watching all of them, but always open to more new ones!
Aug 1, 2014 4:33 PM

Jun 2012
You might want to try out No game No life.
Apr 26, 2015 8:19 AM
Apr 2015
Initial D is pretty awesome .
Don'T let the bad art of the first season put you off.
Apr 26, 2015 8:53 AM

Jan 2015
marwarouta said:
Initial D is pretty awesome .
Don'T let the bad art of the first season put you off.

Dude, do you notice how old this thread is? ._.
Apr 26, 2015 7:49 PM

Sep 2012
I suggest you try Katekyo Hitman REBORN?
Apr 26, 2015 9:13 PM

May 2014
The_Swordsman said:
Dude, do you notice how old this thread is? ._.

i Came back to this site after 1 year when someone replied to one of my old threads so there is a chance NotAClicheName will see it though very unlikely
Apr 26, 2015 10:56 PM

Jan 2015
The anime you're looking for matches your name really well. Anime with MC with hidden power are cliche.
And by your OP, you say that the MC must know about his power, then how is it hidden power?
Sep 25, 2015 3:49 PM
Jul 2013
Inferno792 said:
The anime you're looking for matches your name really well. Anime with MC with hidden power are cliche.
And by your OP, you say that the MC must know about his power, then how is it hidden power?

The main character wants to hide away his power and not let it be known to others so easily.
As he said; for whatever reason, new life, secret identity etc.
Sep 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Jun 2014
Wallace- said:
You might want to try out No game No life.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 17, 2016 9:12 PM
Aug 2016
Try CHARLOTTE, in the beginning the mc doesn't know his power is op, and uses it for simple purposes, but later he figures out what his power can do, and baisicly becomes God, he also hides his power because he is cheating on tests with it.
May 5, 2017 2:12 PM
Dec 2016
hi guys there is
1- Fairy Tail
2-Fullmetal Alchemist
3-Sword Art Online
Dec 16, 2017 10:58 PM
Feb 2017
I know I am epicly late to this, but Classroom of the Elite would be right up your alley, also you can see my MAL for more as I share the same interest.
Feb 25, 2018 7:13 PM
Aug 2015
Not anime and I'm 4 years late, The God Of High School and unOrdinary

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
7 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 12 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.