Forums
New
Jul 28, 2014 9:39 AM
Mar 2014
iiiiii000Sep 18, 2014 7:06 AM
Jul 28, 2014 7:03 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
A great one. It is my favorite one. When it comes to anime, anyway. We, unfortunately, don't have a lot of yuri anime to choose from. As for what to watch next...

Strawberry Panic
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Candy☆Boy

Blue Drop
Sasameki Koto
Aoi Hana

...are some you should check out. If you want the best quality yuri, you are going to have to get into manga.
Jul 29, 2014 7:16 PM

Apr 2014
My opinion:
First of all I enjoy this show.
Second, I don't give this show a high rating.

I categorize yuri shows into 5 categories: 'Undertones only', 'Fanservice yuri', 'Amai(Sweet but probably naive) yuri', 'Yuri about the process of love', 'Highly realistic lesbian show'.
Unfortunately, Sakura Trick falls into the category of 'Fanservice yuri'--creating 'girl on girl is hot' moments to entertain viewers, especially seinen.

Edit: As for 'what to watch next': If one is only into 'girl on girl is hot' moments then there are not much to expect. Maybe Kuttsukiboshi or Inugami-san.
Personal opinion is, the lowest standard for a real yuri fan is those who enjoy sweet yuri shows--with or without the process of falling in love, but without a great bunch of fanservice.

Categorized Yuri anime/manga:
'Undertones only': Saki, Kin'iro Mosaic, YuruYuri etc.
'Fanservice Yuri': Sakura Trick, Kuttsukiboshi etc.
'Amai Yuri': YuriYuri, Candy Boy etc.
'Yuri about the process of love': Strawberry Panic, Sasameki Koto etc.
'Highly realistic Yuri': Usually Josei shows, you don't really need to enjoy them.
w7nJul 29, 2014 7:25 PM
All hail Great Firewall of China.
Jul 30, 2014 3:18 AM
Nov 2008
i'd consider sakura trick to be an 'amai yuri,' so much so that it's extremely annoying.

the fanservice is fine
the comedy is fine
the romance is not fine.

camilleanime said:
Remember the first episode when Yuu tells Haruka they should do "something they would never forget". The average fanservice show would have simply cut to a scene of kissing. However this is not what happens. What happens is something completely inexpected given the overtly romantic atmosphere and there lies your comedic effect.
yeah, and then they do it for 12 more episodes. and it never goes anywhere.
Jul 31, 2014 12:40 AM

Apr 2014
Here I'm quoting post #5, but the post is very long. (Edit: The original post #5 is no longer here now)

You're right on this point: Sakura Trick uses comedic effect on quite a lot of things, including fanservice.
However, my categorization is based on how the relationship between yuri couples develop. That is:
If the so-called 'yuri couple' is only an undertone: Category1
If the developing of relationship shown in the anime/manga is mainly by sex appeals: Category2
If the two are very good friends(or more than that) from the beginning, and soon turns into a couple and do all sorts of sweet things(but not massive sex appeals): Category3. Shows in this category may NOT(but are quite likely to) be without plot twists.
If the show shows the process of proper love development: Category4.
Category5 needs no explanation.

And thus I think the story of the Haruka x Yuu couple, which is the main arc, falls into the 'Fanservice Yuri' category, but Kotone x Shizuku falls into 'Amai Yuri'.

Comedy is one aspect and can give enjoyment and some bonus points on the rating, but it doesn't change a lot if we watch it from the standpoint of Yuri. Sasameki Koto has comedy and quite a lot of it, but the development of feelings between the main couple is what makes that show good.
You said 'the average fanservice show would have cut to a scene of kissing'. You're right. Sakura Trick is not an 'average' fanservice show. It's a 'somewhat comedic' fanservice show.
And besides, even the comedy gets somewhat boring after a few episodes, and gets much better in Ep08, and gets bad again.

Overall, Sakura Trick has:
-Fine comedy overall
-A great bunch of fanservice, a part of which is even created out of nonsensical events
-Little and improper development of feelings. The main couple starts with a big damn kiss, and then they're like 'OMG Yuu/Haruka is beside me I can't stand it I have to kiss her'. WTH is this? I don't think this kind of couple stands a blow. Even a few 'undertones' (Youko&Aya in Kin'iro Mosaic etc.) would make for better couples.
Ep03-A has a real hot kiss, but that is one of the few story-driven kisses and shows proper development. Unfortunately we don't really see many story-driven kisses in this show.
-Yuri-wise, the good part of Sakura Trick is the Kotone x Shizuku couple, but their story is a minor part and that's a shame.

And BTW, from what you've said, I think I can recommend Sasameki Koto. It has quite some comedy, has proper love development, and is quite realistic and even tries to describe real-life problems about lesbians. The downside is, the episodes of the anime are either great or bad. Skip the filler eps if you don't want to watch them.
w7nMar 31, 2015 7:16 AM
All hail Great Firewall of China.
Aug 1, 2014 6:16 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
For Sasameki Koto, you will also have to be prepared to read the manga afterward, because the anime has a terrible ending (stops right when it is starting to get really good).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakura Trick Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2014

132 by noberkenier »»
Apr 15, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Sakura Trick Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2014

187 by Delphantasist »»
Feb 14, 2:38 AM

» Where to watch/read Sakura trick if you're from Finland?

Wijkanda - Oct 10, 2021

7 by KietaTeenRomance »»
Jan 15, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Sakura Trick Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2014

114 by User-Name »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:19 AM

» Ain’t this a bit of an overkill?

RudeRedis - Aug 21, 2023

0 by RudeRedis »»
Aug 21, 2023 7:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.