Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 28, 2014 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
Yo minna! I am looking for some anime with good survival-themed plot and with much more psychological and bloody/killing shows add on it... Much more appreciated if it was completed.

More like:
- Gantz
- Btooom!
- Mirai Nikki
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Highschool of the Dead
- Danganronpa 2: The Animation
- Deadman Wonderland

Thanks in advance! :)
removed-userJul 28, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 28, 2014 9:40 AM

Jan 2014
Jul 28, 2014 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
AkatsukiWolf said:
Fate/Zero

I'll give it a try! Thanks! :)
Jul 28, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2011
now and then, here and there
Jul 28, 2014 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
Deadman Wonderland

Jul 28, 2014 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
silversaint said:
now and then, here and there

I'll watch some of the first few episodes... And if I like it, I'll give it a go!~ ^^ Thanks!~

I have seen SAO but it's not the type of survival anime that I am looking for... W/ much more psychological and bloody/killing shows... But I also love SAO... Thanks, anyway!~

Broeksnoek said:
Deadman Wonderland

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about this one. I have seen it already too!~ I'll update my list. Thanks... ^^
removed-userJul 28, 2014 10:05 AM
Jul 28, 2014 10:08 AM
Jul 28, 2014 2:16 PM

May 2012
Bokurano
Jul 28, 2014 2:31 PM

Jun 2010
There's also: Akuma no Riddle with this feeling of "battle royale" stuff.
And Rainbow, but it focus more on the psychological notion of it.

Igore this.
Although, I'm curious, what is Texhnolyze even doing here?
Jul 28, 2014 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
xbobx said:

Igore this.
Although, I'm curious, what is Texhnolyze even doing here?
Ignore what? All of them?

1st one has attack on titan in the recs, and is humans surviving martian attacks. Its a lot about survival if you watch it.
2nd one is another space survival anime.
3rd one has some survival in there, though it's a long shounen ofc.
4th one is about the teams survival on the surface world.

and texhnolyze is about humanity going extinct and one mans struggle for survival.

Just because some are mecha or futuristic doesn't stop them being survival anime :s
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jul 28, 2014 3:02 PM

Jun 2010
Masked_Mantis said:
Ignore what? All of them?

1st one has attack on titan in the recs, and is humans surviving martian attacks. Its a lot about survival if you watch it.
2nd one is another space survival anime.
3rd one has some survival in there, though it's a long shounen ofc.
4th one is about the teams survival on the surface world.

and texhnolyze is about humanity going extinct and one mans struggle for survival.

Just because some are mecha or futuristic doesn't stop them being survival anime :s

Yes, all of them. Perhaps only keep TTGL, but for the 2nd arc.

Can't you get why I said to ignore just by your own description of the series?
The stuff he mentioned in his post is the textbook Batttle Royale (...without the social criticism). With a small group of chracters literally doing things for daily survival.
That's why, IMO, things like Wonderland, Bokurano and Akuma fits better than what you're suggesting.
TTGL and Aldnoah.Zero's setup is different from these, since their storyline follows humans running toward a goal/war, it's more of a "quest" theme, where they gather resources pack it up and go for the fight, than surviving.
Yamato 2199 is a odyssey. If we're considering this as a "survival-themed" we need to recommend all of the space operas.
I never watched the HxH anime, just read the manga. Not sure if they made changes, but even you said it just has "some survival in there".

Texhnolyze is 2deep4thisThread, imo.
It's a psychological show about ppl's choices and actions, focusing strongly on the behaviour analysis and with a dense plot-line that I had to rewatch 2 times to get it.
I wouldn't recommend it for someone asking for shows more like Btooom! - Mirai Nikki.
It's just my opinion, tho.
Jul 28, 2014 3:12 PM

Apr 2014
Well it's op's choice then. The survival is in there, just the show is structured differently, like you said humans running towards a goal then fighting for survival.
It's a tiny change that may or may not matter to everyone.

Again op can just read the descriptions and decide. That's why I gave loads of anime.

They have survival themes, though I do agree deadman wonderland and fate/zero are more similar to the ones op listed.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jul 28, 2014 3:48 PM

Nov 2013
I think you're better off looking into manga for purely survival based works, a lot of anime that have survival elements have a lot more to them than just being 'bloody/killing shows'. Even then quite a few of them are pretty poor because they try to squeeze in as many cash grabbing elements as they can and end up becoming a convoluted mess. Nothing better than a high school romance blossoming in the middle of a heated murder mystery show. Usually they're the popular ones.

I'll throw in Kaiji though. It's not called the ultimate survivor for nothing! It's about a guy who is in a heap of debt and must take part in a series of crazy gambles organised by the mafia he's in debt to. If he fails then he's essentially screwed, so you could say it's a survival show. It's got a huge psychological theme, no bloodshed though really.
xbobx said:
Texhnolyze is 2deep4thisThread, imo.
It's a psychological show about ppl's choices and actions, focusing strongly on the behaviour analysis and with a dense plot-line that I had to rewatch 2 times to get it.

Wouldn't say that's a good indicator for anyone how deep something is, people pick things up at varying speeds. FLCL is a good example of that. Some people require rewatching, some don't.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 28, 2014 7:19 PM
Jul 2018

Etto~... I think I'll have a pass on this one... HxH is a pretty famous anime and I've seen it already, but it's not [i]that[/i] type of survival-anime I am looking for, same with TTGL and the others. Texhnolyze captured my attention but I'll just put it in my waiting list for now... Thanks! ^^

SeijiSensei said:
Bokurano

Hmmm... I guess I'll give this a try... Thanks! ^^

xbobx said:

Now downloading AnR, requested by my lil' sis. ^^ And, I have a feeling that I will love this Rainbow!~ Thanks! ♥

Vexper said:
I think you're better off looking into manga for purely survival based works, a lot of anime that have survival elements have a lot more to them than just being 'bloody/killing shows'. Even then quite a few of them are pretty poor because they try to squeeze in as many cash grabbing elements as they can and end up becoming a convoluted mess. Nothing better than a high school romance blossoming in the middle of a heated murder mystery show. Usually they're the popular ones.

I'll throw in Kaiji though. It's not called the ultimate survivor for nothing! It's about a guy who is in a heap of debt and must take part in a series of crazy gambles organised by the mafia he's in debt to. If he fails then he's essentially screwed, so you could say it's a survival show. It's got a huge psychological theme, no bloodshed though really.

Yup, and because of it, [i]IT[/i] makes me want to watch anime with that kind of theme/atmosphere/genre...

And as for Kaiji, I haven't seen its Season 1, yet. But I have gotten a dvd copy of its second season, I have watched the entire series and completely liked it. It's on my waiting list already and I'm sure I'l like it as much as I liked its second season.^^

More topics from this board

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 36 minutes ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
36 minutes ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

3 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
47 minutes ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
1 hour ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
Today, 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.