Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is Worldbuilding overrated?
Jul 28, 2014 2:50 AM

Nov 2012
I've often seen people praise certain shows for world building and it seems to be an increasingly popular criteria on which people judge anime.

"Worldbuilding or conworlding is the process of constructing an imaginary world, sometimes associated with a whole fictional universe. The resulting world may be called a constructed world. The term "worldbuilding" was popularized at science fiction writers' workshops in the 1970s. Developing an imaginary setting with coherent qualities such as a history, geography, and ecology is a key task for many science fiction or fantasy writers. Worldbuilding often involves the creation of maps, a backstory, and people for the world. Constructed worlds can enrich the backstory and history of fictional works, and it is not uncommon for authors to revise their constructed worlds while completing its associated work. Constructed worlds can be created for personal amusement and mental exercise, or for specific creative endeavors such as novels, video games, or role-playing games."

Personally I'm more focused on the plot and characters and don't really mind if the worldbuilding in a show is super elaborate and in depth. How do you feel about world building? Is it important to you? Is it overrated? Are you indifferent? Why?
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Jul 28, 2014 2:53 AM

Jan 2011
Depends how well it's handled.
Jul 28, 2014 2:55 AM

May 2010
Depending on the show and genre, it can be very important and noticeable or just nonexistent. The average slice of life show usually has no detailed worldbuilding or setting since it's not needed. But when you go to shows like Psycho Pass or Ghost in the Shell, it's really one of the points of attraction. You also don't need a believable and detailed world setting to portray highschool themes or shows that with simple plots and action.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 28, 2014 2:57 AM

Oct 2012
Worldbuilding can definitely enhance a story but it is by no means a substitute for it, despite what a lot of people will tell you Game of Thrones fans.

Jul 28, 2014 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
I really like in depth worldbuilding. Especially maps and all sorts of events that are described. Some anime do it better than others but at the top of my head I can't think of an anime that really invested a lot of effort in to it, you know, something like other media do. That's probably due to lot of restriction anime as a medium has but I would like to see more of quality worldbuilding.
Jul 28, 2014 3:04 AM

May 2012
World Building can be fun if done right. It lets you immerse yourself through the world of the characters.

But if done wrong then the whole story collapses on itself.
Jul 28, 2014 3:50 AM

Jul 2014
The only anime I've ever seen that scored a 10 off me despite average/ below avg worldbuilding was Toradora.

It is pretty important. Though not if the rest sucks, like f. ex Heaven's Memo Pad which had good worldbuilding but shallow characters and writing.
Jul 28, 2014 3:58 AM
Jul 2014
I am still confused by the description.

Can anyone listed some anime that have heavy examples of "world-building"
Jul 28, 2014 4:17 AM

Jul 2014
CrimBlacklotus said:
I am still confused by the description.

Can anyone listed some anime that have heavy examples of "world-building"

I assume it means extremely detailed environments, extremely detailed world background/ history and/ or original settings.

For example, Air and Hyouka has extremely detailed environments (visual detail of the world)
Jul 28, 2014 4:35 AM
Jul 2014
Watch Shinsekai Yori and you have your answer.
Jul 28, 2014 4:36 AM

May 2013
For me, it goes a little something like this -

Characters > World Building > Plot

If done right, world building can be amazing, like in Sword Art Online, Psycho Pass, etc, but even if it's awful, good characters can still make up for it.
Jul 28, 2014 4:42 AM

Jun 2010
Red_Tuesday said:

I assume it means extremely detailed environments, extremely detailed world background/ history and/ or original settings.

For example, Air and Hyouka has extremely detailed environments (visual detail of the world)

World building isn't really about visual detail. - It is more about the amount of thought put in how everything fits together. How well you craft your fictional world or even if exotic concepts are introduced how they fit in with the rest of the world. That is where the detail matters.

For example if you introduce a fictional world in a story. Then the fascination comes with crafting its society. How is the life in these societies? Are there different social levels? How do they interact? How about the history? Religion? Political situations and Relationships with other countries? etc.

But like I said the same is true for just introducing concepts - like the mushi in Mushishi. How this new life interacts with other the human and animal life, etc.
AsturaetusJul 28, 2014 4:46 AM
Jul 28, 2014 4:45 AM

May 2012
Asturaetus said:
Red_Tuesday said:

World building isn't really about visual detail. - It is more about the amount of thought put in how everything fits together. How well you craft your fictional world or even if exotic concepts are introduced how they fit in with the rest of the world. That is where the detail matters.

For example if you introduce a fictional world in a story. Then the fascination comes with crafting its society. How is the life in these societies? Are there different social levels? How do they interact? How about the history? Religion? Political situations and Relationships with other countries? etc.

It's also how the main characters explore the universe and consequently "build" up your knowledge of the world.
Jul 28, 2014 4:52 AM

Apr 2012
Worldbuilding adds depth to the setting and usually provides an extra layer of immersion. It gives the viewer a glimpse of how the world operates within the fictive universe. It is an absolute must in heavy Fantasy/ Sci Fi type shows.

Some examples of great world building in anime that I can think of from the top of my head
Mushishi
Planetes
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Kemono no Souja Erin
Shinsekai Yori
LOGH
12 Kingdoms
Spice and Wolf
zzzeallyJul 28, 2014 4:56 AM

Jul 28, 2014 5:07 AM

Jun 2013
Good anime + world building = Very good anime
Bad anime + world building = Bad anime

Christopher Tolkien said "The literary ‘impression of depth…created by songs and digressions’ cannot be made a criterion by which a work in a wholly different mode is measured"
And Tom Shippey "to tell [the stories that are only alluded to in The Lord of the Rings] in their own right and expect them to retain the charm they got from their larger setting would be a terrible error".

I think it's the same with world building in anime : it's important to create a background but we must remember that this background isn't the whole story.
Jul 28, 2014 5:38 AM

Mar 2012
I like it when the world building flow naturally like NagiAsu instead of it shoved into our throat like Mahouka.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 28, 2014 5:38 AM

Mar 2014
Shinsekai yori

Watch that and you'll understand good world building.
Jul 28, 2014 5:40 AM

Feb 2014
One Piece = Extreme World Building

Jul 28, 2014 5:44 AM

Nov 2013
Never heard of/seen people talk about worldbuilding, therefore it isn't really overrated.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 28, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2010
It depends on the series or genre, an adventure anime should have more worldbuilding than a school girl comedy. But overall it's something more of an extra. Most anime suck at it so I don't really fault them if there isn't much but it is a nice bonus that can really improve my opinion of the series. So it's something I won't fault them if they don't have it but I'll praise them if they do.
Jul 28, 2014 10:03 AM

Nov 2013
A show that puts effort into fleshing out its world is difficult to come by, which is why I value good world building so much. The problem is that it's pretty easy to mess it up if the writer doesn't know what he's doing. Sometimes, plot holes can be a result of poor planning of the world beforehand. And, as others have mentioned, it's not a good idea to put so much focus on the world (via needless exposition, for example) that the storytelling suffers as a result. I will admit that one anime I've seen actually utilizes its setting so well that it could be considered a character in its own right: that would be Aria the Natural.

Also, it's nice when a writer maintains a sense of mystery about the world instead of revealing everything about it. This keeps things interesting and hopefully makes the viewers want more.
Jul 28, 2014 10:45 AM

Dec 2013
I am a huge fan of world building.
Jul 28, 2014 10:53 AM

Apr 2014
It's important, at least for me, It's a very crucial thing for me to decide whether to watch or dropped an anime. If the world building is like world in 200 year in the future where they use robot to oppose criminal and making a time machine with their science to get back to the past. it's an auto drop anime for me.
Jul 28, 2014 11:38 AM
Nov 2013
The more the better. Of course, I wouldn't like more just for the sake of putting something. World building has to be integrated with all the other elements, like we see in HxH and Kaiba, for example. Kaiba is the perfect example of how everything is handled right and has an amazing interaction. Everything is interconnected. Some stories don't require that though. You can't really analyze world building when the story is in a high school class.

Either way, I think is not overrated and it's an extremely important point, when the story requires that. Also, if is not handled well and they just throw pointless information, like in SAO, Code Geass or Suisei no Gargantia, without really integrate that or give it a higher meaning, of course I'll question the overall quality and the execution of the story.
blankflatJul 28, 2014 11:48 AM
Jul 28, 2014 11:48 AM
Jan 2014
I think it's a very important part of a story in any form, be it a novel, movie, or anime.

One Piece and Attack on Titan do this really well. It's the best thing about them. (Otherwise, they're pretty mediocre.)
Jul 28, 2014 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
GreenHippo said:
I think it's a very important part of a story in any form, be it a novel, movie, or anime.

One Piece and Attack on Titan do this really well. It's the best thing about them. (Otherwise, they're pretty mediocre.)
So I take it you value Worldbuilding a lot since you gave Attack on Titan a 9, an anime you'd otherwise consider mediocre without the Worldbuilding. I'm curious to know how important Worldbuilding is to you in comparison to plot and characters.

Jul 28, 2014 5:42 PM

Dec 2012
World building is quite low on the things I judge something by. The characters are the most important, followed by the story, but that depends on the series in question I suppose( eg: the characters are more important in a comedy anime like Gintama, the story is more important in Attack on Titan)

I never quite understood why some people care a lot about world building tbh. And I noticed that I didn't care for it, in the series that are usually praised for it.
Jul 28, 2014 6:58 PM

Dec 2012
^You say that but at least 3 of your favorites have what I'd consider good world building, so maybe you pay more attention to it than you think.

A detailed and fleshed out world is one of marks of a good story, but it's a part of the "story" and not it's own seperate thing, so world building would only be considered by me in a minor fashion when determining points to give to the story . Doesn't give it an instant passing grade for story, but implies that a decent amount of thought was put into the story.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 28, 2014 7:02 PM

Oct 2013
World building is a bonus imo.
Jul 28, 2014 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
Kruszer said:
^You say that but at least 3 of your favorites have what I'd consider good world building, so maybe you pay more attention to it than you think.

A detailed and fleshed out world is one of marks of a good story, but it's a part of the "story" and not it's own seperate thing, so world building would only be considered by me in a minor fashion when determining points to give to the story . Doesn't give it an instant passing grade for story, but implies that a decent amount of thought was put into the story.

Other than Naruto, what else are you referring to?

Of course I think it's nice, and could enhance the story, I just don't think of it of something important, not enough to raise or lower a point in what I think of the overall quality for example.
Jul 28, 2014 7:08 PM

Apr 2014
if its done right like in one piece or berserk. it saddens me how a world full of potential like fairy tails is wasted
Jul 28, 2014 7:10 PM

Jul 2012
Naruto and One Piece have great Worldbuilding for a long running series which is a major plus.
Jul 28, 2014 7:46 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Kruszer said:

Other than Naruto, what else are you referring to?

Of course I think it's nice, and could enhance the story, I just don't think of it of something important, not enough to raise or lower a point in what I think of the overall quality for example.

The Monogatari series. Backgrounds and things in those are often look very detailed and full of some cool things like that park in Bakemonogataari or Koyomi's banana couch-rocking chair. But yeah it's just one of many things I'd consider as part of the story portion of the rating.
KruszerJul 28, 2014 7:52 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 28, 2014 8:32 PM

Jul 2012
I can only think of three series that really did this aspect well (Shinsekai Yori, HAL, Sidonia no Kishi) and while it's not the important thing, it is a huge plus for me.
Jul 28, 2014 8:49 PM

Feb 2013
I personally LOVE Worldbuilding. I love just learning about the land/nation/planet/World that the Characters/Story Takes place on either it be, Culture,Religion,Government if their is a ton of it and it is Well Written i personally will praise it highly. I often see shows based in Fictional worlds that Show a premise to an interesting world but in the end don't put out much to the world itself and instead go through the world expecting us to understand it all already. As an aspiring Writer who plans on doing a sorta Sci-Fi ish world i have to work hard to accurately plan out the many races and their world's and way of living. So yes i Think WorldBuilding is Very Important.
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Jul 28, 2014 8:54 PM

Jan 2014
Depends on the anime.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jul 28, 2014 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
Lightshade49 said:
As an aspiring Writer who plans on doing a sorta Sci-Fi ish world i have to work hard to accurately plan out the many races and their world's and way of living. So yes i Think WorldBuilding is Very Important.

This!!
Jul 29, 2014 3:49 AM
Jul 2014
Worldbuilding is necessary in order to develop a well-defined setting, which helps the viewer to understand the problems that the characters face, the constraints on their ability to solve them, and situations in which the character has misinterpreted his or her situation. A lack of worldbuilding causes anime to become so unpredictable that a viewer cannot meaningful predict and reflect on the prediction to further understand characters' motivations.
Jul 29, 2014 4:09 AM

May 2010
A lot of people say yes but 83% voted no. I am confused.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 29, 2014 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
bloodlover said:
A lot of people say yes but 83% voted no. I am confused.

Read question again.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 53 minutes ago

16 by Jonas-K »»
1 minute ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

51 by EastIndiaCompany »»
2 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 5 hours ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

98 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

75 by Kundi-Man »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.