Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Jul 30, 2014 12:53 AM
Jul 2014
GodlyKyon said:
CynicofSinope said:

Rather than curse you out for not reading the thread, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and answer your question.

People hate the mechs because they were created using CGI. I personally don't have too much of an issue with CGI, but when it's not done right, the mechs end up looking plastic or like toys in some scenes. One great example is in the first episode where the high schoolers are training using live rounds. Look at the scene with the mech crouching with a pistol and the mech prone with a sniper rifle.

As to why people hate this anime, it splits it into two groups:

The first group:
-hates this anime because, when aldnoah was announced the president of a1 said that it would 'overtake' gundam as a cultural icon, which awakened all the internet warrior gundam fanboys, whose sole purpose is to just say 'this anime sucks [insert your favorite curse word]'.

-hates this anime because they feel it's 'overhyped'. People like this are always present for any popular anime. To make a strong example, if you're familiar with Berserk, when the golden age arc movies came out, people were excited. However there were people who felt that the anime was 'overhyped'.

The second group:
-is characterized by people who dont necessarily 'hate' the anime but see some issues, such as:
-MC is too cold/emotionless
-characters are not developed(1d or 2d characters)
-issues concerning how earth force is useless but a bunch of military trainee high schoolers can defeat Martian mechs.
-overuse of the same OST track for fight scenes
-issues with how the Martians act superior, and end up defeated by the MC
-issues with the characters or villains, and how they act
-issues with how 'unrealistic' the setting/characters/mechs/military/fight scenarios are
-issues with certain offensive/defensive capabilities of earth/Martian mechs

The anime isn't perfect, there are some things that need to be improved, but since this is a 2-cour(24 episode) series, there's still room for them to improve.

EDIT:
Also I am expecting my free hug.

You are summing up the problems of this series perfectly!

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS *crack*

I will take all the hugs.
If you have strong blood put into needle and inject into someone else and you will be able to control them.
Jul 30, 2014 5:03 AM

Dec 2013
The ED was to die for
Jul 30, 2014 8:08 AM

Jan 2014
Why people are complaining about MC being emotionless? Please remember Setsuna from Gundam 00. Their backstory will be shown in the future, just be patient. Don't judge a character when the show has only ran 1/6 its way....
Jul 30, 2014 8:27 AM

Sep 2011
chickenonthepan said:
Why people are complaining about MC being emotionless? Please remember Setsuna from Gundam 00. Their backstory will be shown in the future, just be patient. Don't judge a character when the show has only ran 1/6 its way....

1. Not a gundam
2. Not made by Sunrise
3. Not the same writers!
4. So far the characters are essentially blank
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 30, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
GodlyKyon said:
chickenonthepan said:

1. Not a gundam
2. Not made by Sunrise
3. Not the same writers!

First Group spotted....
Jul 30, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2014
Kyruga said:
GodlyKyon said:

1. Not a gundam
2. Not made by Sunrise
3. Not the same writers!

First Group spotted....

Yeah, totally.
Setsuna is also emotionless as hell at the beginning of Gundam 00. It needs some time to build him up as a likable character. If I judge Setsuna based on first 4 episodes of 00, I would say he is more blank than Inaho now...
And not all Gundam shows are good
Just_ChickenJul 30, 2014 8:58 AM
Jul 30, 2014 9:14 AM

Oct 2011
Inaho was awesome !!!
Jul 30, 2014 9:20 AM

Dec 2013
I really don't get some of the reasoning some haters are spewing out here. Who gives a damn if the director claimed that this show would be the next best thing since the wheel? Hell I'm not some obsessive otaku who has to acquire an encyclopedic database of not only anime series and characters, but even seiyuus, directors and even musicians and animators as well. I personally don't feel a need to hunt around compulsively on MAL for how "hyped" that a show is because who is in on the project just to enjoy it. I enjoy the show for being what it is, for what I watch and what I hear, and thus far I don't think Aldnoah's done a damn good job at making this show as enjoyable as any other mech that Ive seen thus far. Heck, I didn't even know who was on the team for this anime. I just saw the PV, liked the animation and gave it a try.

Inaho does well as a stoic, observant and extremely emotionally detached protag. They make him out to be smart, but that isn't to say he is completely OP in the face of the Martians. Even in this episode, after they were saved at the end, his friends were all gathering around him reprimanding him for acting out of character suddenly trying to buy them some time, even at the expense of his own life. For us, it's obviously something to do with that princess (the director's put down enough hints for that). Even he himself admitted that he didn't know why he did what he did. It was only anime plot-armor that he got out of that little skirmish alive anyway. He was half a second away from being butchered by that Knight when reinforcements arrived afterall.

As for Slaine, I think he knows whats going on and he's definitely smarter than he looks. He's trying to find out who the traitors are from the inside, which is why he decided to go back to the martians. Also, just because the martian he's working under isn't the ringleader, doesn't mean that he isn't in on the assassination. Slaine is smart enough to figure that out, and he's smart enough to know that he can do a lot more damage to the martians from the inside as well (plus, he can monitor where the princess is if they manage to discover her in those ships). In my opinion, I think both protags are being developed just fine. I just wonder what will happen once he finds out that the princess has taken an interest in Inaho though, given the obvious feelings that he has for her (can see THAT Triangle from a hundred clicks away).

Hopefully they'll start to develop the other characters a bit more starting next episode.

The soundtrack may not fit the action scenes completely, but they have a way of inducing excitement, which is good for shows like this. I mean, I'd rather listen to the music hyping than watch this show with Barney as a soundtrack. If anyone could suggest a better OST for this anime, I'd be happy to try their suggestions out. I love experimenting anyway (watched Fate/Stay with the full Tokyo Ghoul OP, and it actually fit quite nicely :P).

Anyway, next episode please!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 30, 2014 9:25 AM

Sep 2013
chickenonthepan said:
Kyruga said:

First Group spotted....

Yeah, totally.
Setsuna is also emotionless as hell at the beginning of Gundam 00. It needs some time to build him up as a likable character. If I judge Setsuna based on first 4 episodes of 00, I would say he is more blank than Inaho now...

Emotionless characters are boring. As said before Inaho may smile time to time, but we don't know him as a character. We don't know his flaws, which makes him virtually unrelatable. A character without flaws is boring, plain and simple. (At least in a serious show anyway. Though even then if a character at least has personality it can be passable and We should be introduced to his character right off the bat to start gaining appeal right away.)

Now, of course maybe there is a reason for him being that way. Would that make it better? Yes. Would that make him a better character? Yes. Would that make him less boring or more appealing? Nope.

It is also a matter of presentation. Perhaps if they took the time to show us more about Inaho as a character he would have more appeal, but they don't. I heard someone say before that maybe he was "Traumatized by war" well no, he doesn't seem traumatized to me, he seems perfectly healthy, especially since everyone treats it like this is normal behavior in the show, when it isn't. Normally people would look at him and go, "What is up with him?" but they don't. I don't mean his friends, I mean people who have no idea who he is.

People can like him if they want, I am not saying they can't. It's a heck of a lot easier and lazier to write a character with little to no emotion then it is to write a flawed human being though. He doesn't have a character, his character is his lack of a character.

Slain on the other hand displayed emotions and psychological problems such as paranoia, depression, stockholm syndrome, and fear. He has a character, he has conflictions in his own mind. That alone makes him a better character even if it is done in a rather overblown way.

It isn't about "What is this characters backstory? Why is he like this? These mysteries make him a good character!". It's about "Why should I care about this person? Why should I cheer for him? Why should I get invested in what he is doing?". I can't get invested in Inaho cause I don't even know what he is like. He is just a stoic genius perfect kid. He doesn't even bat an eye to killing or have any emotional damage afterwards. We are supposed to take an anime seriously when it displayed the "Good Guys" as killers who don't care that they killed someone afterwards? They are just as big of Sociopaths as the Super-Nazi's are. Slain is the only normal human being.
KetenJul 30, 2014 9:32 AM
Jul 30, 2014 9:27 AM

Jan 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
I really don't get some of the reasoning some haters are spewing out here. Who gives a damn if the director claimed that this show would be the next best thing since the wheel? Hell I'm not some obsessive otaku who has to acquire an encyclopedic database of not only anime series and characters, but even seiyuus, directors and even musicians and animators as well. I personally don't feel a need to hunt around compulsively on MAL for how "hyped" that a show is because who is in on the project just to enjoy it. I enjoy the show for being what it is, for what I watch and what I hear, and thus far I don't think Aldnoah's done a damn good job at making this show as enjoyable as any other mech that Ive seen thus far. Heck, I didn't even know who was on the team for this anime. I just saw the PV, liked the animation and gave it a try.

Inaho does well as a stoic, observant and extremely emotionally detached protag. They make him out to be smart, but that isn't to say he is completely OP in the face of the Martians. Even in this episode, after they were saved at the end, his friends were all gathering around him reprimanding him for acting out of character suddenly trying to buy them some time, even at the expense of his own life. For us, it's obviously something to do with that princess (the director's put down enough hints for that). Even he himself admitted that he didn't know why he did what he did. It was only anime plot-armor that he got out of that little skirmish alive anyway. He was half a second away from being butchered by that Knight when reinforcements arrived afterall.

As for Slaine, I think he knows whats going on and he's definitely smarter than he looks. He's trying to find out who the traitors are from the inside, which is why he decided to go back to the martians. Also, just because the martian he's working under isn't the ringleader, doesn't mean that he isn't in on the assassination. Slaine is smart enough to figure that out, and he's smart enough to know that he can do a lot more damage to the martians from the inside as well (plus, he can monitor where the princess is if they manage to discover her in those ships). In my opinion, I think both protags are being developed just fine. I just wonder what will happen once he finds out that the princess has taken an interest in Inaho though, given the obvious feelings that he has for her (can see THAT Triangle from a hundred clicks away).

Hopefully they'll start to develop the other characters a bit more starting next episode.

The soundtrack may not fit the action scenes completely, but they have a way of inducing excitement, which is good for shows like this. I mean, I'd rather listen to the music hyping than watch this show with Barney as a soundtrack. If anyone could suggest a better OST for this anime, I'd be happy to try their suggestions out. I love experimenting anyway (watched Fate/Stay with the full Tokyo Ghoul OP, and it actually fit quite nicely :P).

Anyway, next episode please!

I hope all people here are like you. Simply there are too many haters in this thread.
Jul 30, 2014 9:32 AM

Jan 2014
Keten said:
chickenonthepan said:

Yeah, totally.

Emotionless characters are boring. As said before Inaho may smile time to time, but we don't know him as a character. We don't know his flaws, which makes him virtually unrelatable. A character without flaws is boring, plain and simple. (And We should be introduced to his character right off the bat to start gaining appeal right away.)

Now, of course maybe there is a reason for him being that way. Would that make it better? Yes. Would that make him a better character? Yes. Would that make him less boring or more appealing? Nope.

It is also a matter of presentation. Perhaps if they took the time to show us more about Inaho as a character he would have more appeal, but they don't. I heard someone say before that maybe he was "Traumatized by war" well no, he doesn't seem traumatized to me, he seems perfectly healthy, especially since everyone treats it like this is normal behavior in the show, when it isn't. Normally people would look at him and go, "What is up with him?" but they don't. I don't mean his friends, I mean people who have no idea who he is.

People can like him if they want, I am not saying they can't. It's a heck of a lot easier and lazier to write a character with little to no emotion then it is to write a flawed human being though. He doesn't have a character, his character is his lack of a character.

Slain on the other hand displayed emotions and psychological problems such as paranoia, depression, stockholm syndrome, and fear. He has a character, he has conflictions in his own mind. That alone makes him a better character even if it is done in a rather overblown way.

It isn't about "What is this characters backstory? Why is he like this? These mysteries make him a good character!". It's about "Why should I care about this person? Why should I cheer for him? Why should I get invested in what he is doing?". I can't get invested in Inaho cause I don't even know what he is like. He is just a stoic genius perfect kid. He doesn't even bat an eye to killing or have any emotional damage afterwards. We are supposed to take an anime seriously when it displayed the "Good Guys" as killers who don't care that they killed someone afterwards? They are just as big of Sociopaths as the Super-Nazi's are. Slain is the only normal human being.

IF you don't care about the characters and find them boring, why don't you just drop the anime and let people enjoy it instead? The fact that you don't care doesn't mean other people have to be indifferent as well. So please, again, if you hate the show, just drop it already. Don't watch something to see how terrible it is. you are wasting time of your life.
Jul 30, 2014 9:40 AM

Sep 2013
chickenonthepan said:

IF you don't care about the characters and find them boring, why don't you just drop the anime and let people enjoy it instead? The fact that you don't care doesn't mean other people has to be indifferent as well. So please, again, if you hate the show, just drop it already. Don't watch something to see how terrible it is. you are wasting time of your life.

Erm.. Where in my post did I say people shouldn't enjoy him? I said enjoy him if you want. Also you are pulling the "If you don't like it why are you watching it?" argument. Please do not tell me what to do and I will not tell you what to do.

I am not watching the show to hate it, nor am I watching the show to love it, I am watching it because it is only 12 episodes for the first season and I have nothing better to do. It's 23 minutes a week, not that big a deal.

If you like the character, that is fine, I am not saying you shouldn't.

Partly why his character doesn't work for me is also the writing. It is not well paced because it focuses more on the action than the characters and on top of that the characters aren't written realistically thus it comes off as just sort of awkward.

Now then, instead of telling me to shut up and leave, why not actually try addressing my points? Or better yet just don't respond at all. You don't have to read my posts and this is a discussion thread, not a "Let's sing praise for Aldnoah.Zero" thread. I am sorry if my criticisms affected your enjoyment but I don't see what that has to do with the show being good or bad since enjoyment has nothing to do with that. (Not everyone is going to enjoy something the same way as you so rating based off enjoyment is pointless and throws off the scores).

Enjoy it if you want, I will not attack you for it. So I expect you not to attack me for criticizing it either.
Jul 30, 2014 9:48 AM
Oct 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Is Slaine an idiot? Why the hell did he go back to the Martians?! -.-

Welp, maybe Slaine is up to something...

This episode was Pure Epicness! The Visual and Animation are stunning as usual, and the OST, OMFG The OST! This Ending is Amazing in so many F***ing Levels! I want it now!!!

Slain seems to be really stressed since last episode, and it seems to me that he got some kind of a plan to stop the Martian Assassins (Double Agent, anyone?).
Inaho really knows how to kick ass! Up till now, he seems to be the Genius The Terrans needs to defeat the Martians.

I lol'd quit a lot from Inko's reaction when the Martian Kataprakt sliced that Container into two.

As the show goes, it seems that Slaine will do his stuff, join the Terrans and then the whole group will find out who is the Assassins Ringleader and beat the living Sh*t out of him! this show has Passed my expectations since episode 1!

5/5 For this Episode!
Jul 30, 2014 10:02 AM
Oct 2013
Keten said:
chickenonthepan said:

Yeah, totally.

Emotionless characters are boring. As said before Inaho may smile time to time, but we don't know him as a character. We don't know his flaws, which makes him virtually unrelatable. A character without flaws is boring, plain and simple. (At least in a serious show anyway. Though even then if a character at least has personality it can be passable and We should be introduced to his character right off the bat to start gaining appeal right away.)

I have to say i kinda agree with you, Inaho is a rather boring character While slaine.. well, after credits of the last episode? -not only a very interesting character, but a Fucking BADASS sometimes.

Yet i have to say, that if the MC isn't completely blank i still can relate to him, in Inaho's case, he is maybe a really emotionless character, but hes also a genius, Guess what-I LOVE OVERLY SMART CHARACTERS.

The problem is, that even the fact that Inaho is a motherfucking genius isn't given any feedback nor explanation. I prey for the show creators to do something about it and at least give us something that will make us go:"Ohhh, so that's why Inaho acts like this! now that makes sense!!"

Up until now Slaine is THE BEST CHARACTER, no question asked! :D
Jul 30, 2014 10:16 AM

Sep 2013
Yoyo1124 said:

I have to say i kinda agree with you, Inaho is a rather boring character While slaine.. well, after credits of the last episode? -not only a very interesting character, but a Fucking BADASS sometimes.

Yet i have to say, that if the MC isn't completely blank i still can relate to him, in Inaho's case, he is maybe a really emotionless character, but hes also a genius, Guess what-I LOVE OVERLY SMART CHARACTERS.

The problem is, that even the fact that Inaho is a motherfucking genius isn't given any feedback nor explanation. I prey for the show creators to do something about it and at least give us something that will make us go:"Ohhh, so that's why Inaho acts like this! now that makes sense!!"

Up until now Slaine is THE BEST CHARACTER, no question asked! :D

I happen to enjoy intelligent characters as well. I just sort of wish they had personality to go along with it and a reason for being intelligent as you said.

Any backstory would help, tell us why he wanted to be a soldier, why he acts the way he does (Or if he just always acted that way). However a character being smart doesn't help me relate to them. Intelligence isn't personality, just a quirk. You could make a robotic lamp be intelligent and it would have just as much impact. (Plus added comedic affect)

I don't expect the show to give us nothing, we'll probably get at least something eventually, preferably sooner than later.

Love Slaine though yes. A bit overblown for his type of character but he is honestly the one thing I really look forward to when watching. I wish the focus was more on him. ^^
Jul 30, 2014 11:07 AM

Mar 2011
I rather have an emotionless protagonist than one of those crappy genric shounen protagonists that do retarded shit because of being too overemotional. And also Inaho has military skills because they are forced to learn them in school. That was stated in the first episode. It kind of makes sense considering the tension between mars and earth ever since the war in the moon took happened.
Jul 30, 2014 12:45 PM

Jul 2014
So far it's been fine, though I agree that while the "epic" music is good in the landing scene, it's distracting during the fighting.

I hope that the next knights will be more skillfull (which I see as probable, since, it seems, that martians have sent small fries until now) and that Inaho's anormal calmness wil be finally explained.
What really needs to be done, though, is a whole episode focused on Slaine, if he is really the second MC, as the ending suggests. We know nearly nothing about him or his situation. In any case it would be interesting to see how he conducts himself after he is let to go on the battlefield- he won't be able to avoid killing terrans, if he wants to be left in this role for some time.

Until the characters are presented better, this series remains just an expensive popcorn show.

Also, concerning some of the criticism in the thread - I decided to cope with the usual "school children are smarter than military" by making Inaho and Co military cadets in my mind. It is much more fitting and very close to what they really are, considering their extensive mecha training.
And maybe Inaho wins not because he is so much of a genius, but becuse he is free from horror that most people feel near the martian knights (remember the leutenants' hands trembling).
deadoptimistJul 30, 2014 1:09 PM
Jul 30, 2014 1:23 PM

Sep 2011
the action felt a tad bit rushed in comparison to episode 3's fight but it was still fine nonetheless, the best parts of this episode were definitely the calmer moments before the battle struck, very interested in where slaine's character will go, looks like hes going to try and uproot the traitorous martians from the inside out. I should also note inaho has really grown on me recently but i do wish hed show a little bit more concern on his face in parts where hes being pushed down by the mech.

Also dat ed 2 was fantastic, way more fitting of the show's tone, and as long as they dont overplay its ost version then i think the ed will be a great addition to see at the end of episodes.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 30, 2014 4:14 PM

Jul 2012
Inaho~! The reckless kid...and his awesome plans to dish out the Martians~! :3
Sweet~! x3

So, it looks like another Martian came after the Terrans....I guess that's what the Earthlings are called? o-o
The Martian may have destroyed one ship, but he was no match for Inaho and the gang~! x3
So can't wait for the next episode, this anime is so epic! x3
Jul 30, 2014 4:43 PM

Jan 2014
Keten said:
chickenonthepan said:

IF you don't care about the characters and find them boring, why don't you just drop the anime and let people enjoy it instead? The fact that you don't care doesn't mean other people has to be indifferent as well. So please, again, if you hate the show, just drop it already. Don't watch something to see how terrible it is. you are wasting time of your life.

Erm.. Where in my post did I say people shouldn't enjoy him? I said enjoy him if you want. Also you are pulling the "If you don't like it why are you watching it?" argument. Please do not tell me what to do and I will not tell you what to do.

I am not watching the show to hate it, nor am I watching the show to love it, I am watching it because it is only 12 episodes for the first season and I have nothing better to do. It's 23 minutes a week, not that big a deal.

Partly why his character doesn't work for me is also the writing. It is not well paced because it focuses more on the action than the characters and on top of that the characters aren't written realistically thus it comes off as just sort of awkward.

Now then, instead of telling me to shut up and leave, why not actually try addressing my points? Or better yet just don't respond at all. You don't have to read my posts and this is a discussion thread, not a "Let's sing praise for Aldnoah.Zero" thread. I am sorry if my criticisms affected your enjoyment but I don't see what that has to do with the show being good or bad since enjoyment has nothing to do with that. (Not everyone is going to enjoy something the same way as you so rating based off enjoyment is pointless and throws off the scores).

Enjoy it if you want, I will not attack you for it. So I expect you not to attack me for criticizing it either.

My bad then, sorry dude. But it really bugs me that some people here criticize EVERY aspect of the show:
- They hate the characters
- They tell that the script is boring
- They don't like the music
- They hate the CIG used in this show
- They assume that this is just a "overhyped sh**"
and yet they are still watching it. What is the point in watching something they hate so much? Strange ~
Jul 30, 2014 4:49 PM

Jun 2014
chickenonthepan said:
My bad then, sorry dude. But it really bugs me that some people here criticize EVERY aspect of the show:
and yet they are still watching it. What is the point in watching something they hate so much? Strange ~

Maybe because the show just changed writers they were seeing if it improved? Crazy idea I know, but many people give animes a chance to improve before dropping them.
Jul 30, 2014 4:55 PM
Jul 2014
Great show so far. Haven't enjoyed a mecha series this much since the first time I saw 8th MS team some years ago. Very nice to have a level-headed MC who speaks and acts calmly. So tired of wimpy, whiney emo MCs that some of the people on this forum seem to prefer, judging from their dislike of Inaho's lack of expressions.

I'm also looking forward to some more background info on the Martian knights. I actually wished the show would focus more on them. The rivalries amongst each other, which of the 37 Clans are the most powerful, etc. Just hope they aren't cookie cutter villains.

My only real gripe about the show is that I hope the adults in the show become more useful. Inaho shouldn't be the only person coming up with plans. I have high hopes for Koichirō Marito in that regard.

5/5 show for me so far. Hope they don't screw it up.
Jul 30, 2014 8:06 PM
Feb 2014
chickenonthepan said:
Keten said:

I don't really see anyone HATING it, just disliking it. And they dislike it for most of the reasons you mentioned. But they keep watching because it still has the potential to be good and also a good cast - people that worked on Fate Zero, Madoka, Psycho-Pass etc. It can be so much better and it MIGHT be so much better, since it's still too early to tell which is exactly why they're watching
Jul 30, 2014 8:51 PM

Jan 2014
MegaZeroX said:
chickenonthepan said:

I don't really see anyone HATING it, just disliking it. And they dislike it for most of the reasons you mentioned. But they keep watching because it still has the potential to be good and also a good cast - people that worked on Fate Zero, Madoka, Psycho-Pass etc. It can be so much better and it MIGHT be so much better, since it's still too early to tell which is exactly why they're watching

Based on their word choices, I think their attitude is closer to hate than mere dissatisfaction. Personally I just watch the show because I find it really interesting: the main character is developing (he shows some emotions already, if you fail to notice), the script is ok, the music is great, CIG is not so good but acceptable. Even if I am expecting the show to become better, I would be open-minded and note some positive points, not watching just to notice negative aspects. Therefore, I find it really hard to figure out why those people are still watching this show.
Jul 30, 2014 10:30 PM
Nov 2011
chickenonthepan said:

Based on their word choices, I think their attitude is closer to hate than mere dissatisfaction. Personally I just watch the show because I find it really interesting: the main character is developing (he shows some emotions already, if you fail to notice), the script is ok, the music is great, CIG is not so good but acceptable. Even if I am expecting the show to become better, I would be open-minded and note some positive points, not watching just to notice negative aspects. Therefore, I find it really hard to figure out why those people are still watching this show.

I wouldn't look too much into the word choice of posts on MAL, or anywhere on the internet really, as a gauge of a person's true feelings. People are generally more extreme in their writing on the internet.

Looking through several pages of this thread, there aren't as many overt haters as you think. Most of the people criticizing this show do list positive aspects in addition to their compaints, be it the OST, a character they feel is done well, or the interesting premise. Even the most vitriolic critic I could find, Kaioshin-Sama, admitted that it was still a fun show.

Of course, there are a few people who come in to a discussion and flame away, bashing the show and insisting that there are no redeeming elements whatsoever. However, for every one of these haters, you have at least two posters who are equally extreme in their effusive praise for the show. These posters who proclaim Aldnoah/Zero as the best thing this season/year, are they really that much different from the haters? Both the haters and the fans post extreme opinions, with no concessions to the opposing viewpoint. They also typically don’t bother sticking around to defend their opinion, or otherwise contribute to the discussion. Both just shout out their opinion, and maybe add an insult to the mindless fanboys/haters. Personally, as I read forums to find good discussion, I don’t pay much attention to these kinds of posts.

As for why a person might continue watching something they hate, there are really too many reasons possible to list, many of have already been brought up. Some of them include:
-Friends are watching this/social needs
-Too much time/just want to watch something
-Wants to be fair in critiquing and finish before giving a bad score
-Enjoys discussion, and needs to be current with the hated anime to contribute effectively

There are many things that can make a hated anime enjoyable in some way, making the whole “why don’t you just drop it hater since you clearly dislike it” mentality flawed as the haters who keep watching are enjoying the anime, just not necessarily in the way the fans do.
Jul 30, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2014
micbri said:
chickenonthepan said:

I wouldn't look too much into the word choice of posts on MAL, or anywhere on the internet really, as a gauge of a person's true feelings. People are generally more extreme in their writing on the internet.

Looking through several pages of this thread, there aren't as many overt haters as you think. Most of the people criticizing this show do list positive aspects in addition to their compaints, be it the OST, a character they feel is done well, or the interesting premise. Even the most vitriolic critic I could find, Kaioshin-Sama, admitted that it was still a fun show.

Of course, there are a few people who come in to a discussion and flame away, bashing the show and insisting that there are no redeeming elements whatsoever. However, for every one of these haters, you have at least two posters who are equally extreme in their effusive praise for the show. These posters who proclaim Aldnoah/Zero as the best thing this season/year, are they really that much different from the haters? Both the haters and the fans post extreme opinions, with no concessions to the opposing viewpoint. They also typically don’t bother sticking around to defend their opinion, or otherwise contribute to the discussion. Both just shout out their opinion, and maybe add an insult to the mindless fanboys/haters. Personally, as I read forums to find good discussion, I don’t pay much attention to these kinds of posts.

As for why a person might continue watching something they hate, there are really too many reasons possible to list, many of have already been brought up. Some of them include:
-Enjoys discussion, and needs to be current with the hated anime to contribute effectively

There are many things that can make a hated anime enjoyable in some way, making the whole “why don’t you just drop it hater since you clearly dislike it” mentality flawed as the haters who keep watching are enjoying the anime, just not necessarily in the way the fans do.

Thanks, I guess your points make sense. :))
Jul 30, 2014 10:57 PM

Nov 2011
Episode 5 Preview:

I wasn't expecting that kiss
Jul 30, 2014 11:00 PM

Sep 2013
micbri said:

You pretty much summed up a lot of how I feel in regards to MAL discussion threads. Thank you for doing so, it was a nice read. ^^
Jul 30, 2014 11:11 PM

Jul 2014
Stark700 said:
Episode 5 Preview:

Amen, very intense kiss. Can't wait for the next chapter ;)
Jul 30, 2014 11:28 PM

Jan 2014
Maryruss said:
Stark700 said:
Episode 5 Preview:

Ahh, that's not a kiss. When looking closely, you can see that she is trying to feed water to Slain(?). That must be the when the princess saved Slain and his father, I guess.
But damn, they almost get me into their bait.
Just_ChickenJul 30, 2014 11:37 PM
Jul 30, 2014 11:45 PM

May 2012
chickenonthepan said:
Maryruss said:

Ahh, that's not a kiss. When looking closely, you can see that she is trying to feed water to Slain(?). That must be the when the princess saved Slain and his father, I guess.

^I almost thought it was a kiss.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jul 31, 2014 3:52 AM

Sep 2010
Tommk said:
chickenonthepan said:

Cough.
Jul 31, 2014 4:20 AM

Dec 2010
kunagisa said:
I liked this episode quite a lot. However, the fact that Inaho and a bunch of trainees defeated two Martian knights is a bit, uh, stretched?
Nope, they defeated him with tactics.

I liked that the Terrans managed to defeat yet another Knight, as I was afraid all of their machines will be some kind of gods. Still can't see where this is going though.
Jul 31, 2014 4:28 AM

Jan 2014
Meritas said:
kunagisa said:
I liked this episode quite a lot. However, the fact that Inaho and a bunch of trainees defeated two Martian knights is a bit, uh, stretched?
Nope, they defeated him with tactics.

I liked that the Terrans managed to defeat yet another Knight, as I was afraid all of their machines will be some kind of gods. Still can't see where this is going though.

And with luck too. Who know what might happen if the container missed the Martian mech or the reinforcement didn't come on time? Inaho had to admit himself that his plan was quite reckless. I can't wait to see how can he take down Vlad in ep5. The Martian knight will surely be more careful.
Jul 31, 2014 4:49 AM
Jul 2014
Thess said:
Tommk said:

Cough.

Wow, thanks for the information.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 31, 2014 5:11 AM

Sep 2010
Bluebirds22 said:
Thess said:

Cough.

Good old romantic troupe. Giving water/medicine to someone who needs it with excessive eroticism/romanticism :3
Jul 31, 2014 6:30 AM

Sep 2011
kunagisa said:

Well they didnt really defeat this guy persay, more like they held him off so that reinforcements could arrive.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 31, 2014 6:57 AM
Jul 2014
Thess said:
Bluebirds22 said:

Good old romantic troupe. Giving water/medicine to someone who needs it with excessive eroticism/romanticism :3

*cough* *cough* the kiss to give medicine adds romantic development I guess.
CynicofSinopeJul 31, 2014 7:04 AM
If you have strong blood put into needle and inject into someone else and you will be able to control them.
Jul 31, 2014 7:08 AM

Jan 2014
CynicofSinope said:
Thess said:

If you pay more attention, the princess in the preview is so small like a child. I don't think this has any romantic meaning for her.
Jul 31, 2014 7:32 AM

Sep 2010
chickenonthepan said:
CynicofSinope said:

If you pay more attention, the princess in the preview is so small like a child. I don't think this has any romantic meaning for her.

She's ten, already in early puberty. Also that's the opposite, though. It's a romantic-framed first meeting: she's his savior with a little tongue action added on her selfless action. That's how it works in anime. Innocent but at the same time works all the romantic items in meetings.
Jul 31, 2014 8:02 AM

Dec 2011
Oh, the princess looks like a normal girl again... so no magical shoujo...

Good for you Slaine, you finally had the balls to do something of your own volition.

Damn... the city got meteor bombarded to the ground...

Inaho's big sis is happy that her lil bro is going to show a girl around the ship XD.

Ah, magical shoujo time it seems lol.

So we're going to call the princess Seylum from now on hm.

Poor Slaine now have to figure out who the leader and members of the conspiracy to kill Seylum are.

I would've thought that a sword is way more crude than projectile weapons lol.

Damn... it looks like humanity is getting its ass kicked once again... Inaho, save them!

I must say that the mechas are really cool looking and enjoyable to see.

Ahhh, Seylum is such a nice and kindhearted :3

Inaho is probably of the coolest MCs I've seen in quite a while.

A really nice episode with some action scenes in it.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 31, 2014 8:38 AM

Jan 2011
the suspense, does Cruhteo know about the assassination plan?

Slaine vs Inoha should be coming soon :)
Jul 31, 2014 11:10 AM
Jul 2014
klaymore said:
the suspense, does Cruhteo know about the assassination plan?

Slaine vs Inoha should be coming soon :)

Yeah... can't wait for that.
Jul 31, 2014 1:27 PM
Nov 2013
damn, the action of this episode was superb followed by the soundtrack made me shiver from the first to the last minute. I do wanna see now what Slaine will do from now on. Look forward for the next episode
Jul 31, 2014 3:58 PM
Jul 2014
Thess said:
chickenonthepan said:

She's ten, already in early puberty. Also that's the opposite, though. It's a romantic-framed first meeting: she's his savior with a little tongue action added on her selfless action. That's how it works in anime. Innocent but at the same time works all the romantic items in meetings.

Taking a look at episode 4 again and the episode 5 preview, I noticed that the katana-wielding martian mech had an 'interesting' design. It looks like a bodybuilder who works out only their upper body and not their legs. The legs are thin in proportion to the size of the mech's body, so this might play into how inaho defeats it in the next episode.
CynicofSinopeJul 31, 2014 7:07 PM
Jul 31, 2014 5:46 PM

Jan 2014
I don't think so. That is just the fancy design of the mech (All Martian mech have weird designs). The Martian is not that careless to show obvious weakness like that. Considering that the Martian knight will be more careful + go all out and the tittle "Phantom of the Emperor", I think a plot twist may happen. It won't make sense if Inaho can win everytime with just him and his trainee friends.
Just_ChickenJul 31, 2014 5:51 PM
Jul 31, 2014 5:49 PM

Sep 2011
I think this mech is just a normal mech, its the sword that makes it as powerful as it is. Armor wise it seemed pretty reagile especially when it was hit by the crane and it retained some pretty heavy damage.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 31, 2014 6:01 PM
Jul 2014
chickenonthepan said:
I don't think so. That is just the fancy design of the mech (All Martian mech have weird designs). The Martian is not that careless to show obvious weakness like that. Considering that the Martian knight will be more careful + go all out and the tittle "Phantom of the Emperor", I think a plot twist may happen. It won't make sense if Inaho can win everytime with just him and his trainee friends.

That makes sense, if there is a plot twist, I am really interested in what it would be.
Jul 31, 2014 8:06 PM

Apr 2011
I prefer the princess' normal girl form over her real form.
Jul 31, 2014 10:47 PM

Feb 2011
For some reason the fight in this episode feels much epic! than the previous fight with Trillram. It's the OST fault i guess :p Let's not forget to mention that insert song used as the new ending song. To be honest, It feels perfect! to me. I just can't get my hands on the OST as well as the ending song. Sawano's music are amazing!
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

719 by Softhenic03 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2014

433 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

533 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

723 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 12:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.