Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2014 5:55 AM

Jul 2013
Now obviously it has to be profiting since it didn't end after CA

But it used to have a Saturday morning air time but was moved to Wednesday 1:30 am due to complaints from parents so how can madhouse keep it profitable when your target audience is asleep?

It's had consistent and great animation for well over a hundred episodes so the budget must be healthy

Is it reruns or blu ray sales or are people just staying up to watch it on a weekday
Jul 25, 2014 7:13 AM

Aug 2012
It had really good ratings until the timeslot change, but really the reason it's been running is to advertise the manga and it's done a really good job at that. They don't care that much about BD and DVD sales.
Jul 25, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2010
Watashii said:
It had really good ratings until the timeslot change, but really the reason it's been running is to advertise the manga and it's done a really good job at that. They don't care that much about BD and DVD sales.
How has it done a really good job of that? Has a volume even been put out since it started airing?

It probably got the new anime boost in the beginning, but idk how long that lasted.
Jul 25, 2014 7:41 AM

Jul 2013
Watashii said:

I think long running shonens aren't for advertising manga examples of those are like deadman wonderland and berserk 26/13 episodes with no "real" ending within the anime forcing you into the manga if you liked the series and wanted to see more
Jul 25, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Watashii said:
How has it done a really good job of that? Has a volume even been put out since it started airing?

It probably got the new anime boost in the beginning, but idk how long that lasted.

I think it was 4th at the half year point last year and then started to decrease ended up 12th or something around there but i guess we will see how many copies Togoshi can sell in half a year presuming it lasts
Jul 25, 2014 7:49 AM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Watashii said:

Three volumes have been released since the launch of the 2011 anime, and during 2013 alone was in the top 10 manga sold in Japan with 4.2 million units. While on hiatus.
Jul 25, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2010
Watashii said:
Three volumes have been released since the launch of the 2011 anime, and during 2013 alone was in the top 10 manga sold in Japan with 4.2 million units. While on hiatus.
How were the volumes released latest before the hiatus?
Jul 25, 2014 7:53 AM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Watashii said:

I don't know what you're asking. The hiatus began in 2012. The anime started in 2011. It sold over 4 million in 2013 while the anime aired and it had no new chapters.
Jul 25, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2010
Watashii said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I don't know what you're asking. The hiatus began in 2012. The anime started in 2011. It sold over 4 million in 2013 while the anime aired and it had no new chapters.
My bad, I was talking about the volumes released before the anime.
Jul 25, 2014 8:34 AM
Apr 2014
Watashii said:
IntroverTurtle said:

LOL..
2013 4,231,475 / HUNTER×HUNTER (2012/11/19~2013/11/17)
Then,volume 31&32 released on 2012/12/12.
Therefore,it had two new chapters released.
PS.The purpose of the anime is not to advertise the manga,but to help selling peripheries and increasing the cinema attendance.
Jul 25, 2014 9:43 PM

Aug 2012
yatabare said:
LOL..
PS.The purpose of the anime is not to advertise the manga,but to help selling peripheries and increasing the cinema attendance.

No, it had three volumes released, not two. Only two were released during those time periods (you're ignoring that the 2011 anime started airing in 2011).

They don't sell much merch for HxH. They're not trying to get you to buy figures or posters, just the manga, which the 2011 anime helped with.
Jul 25, 2014 10:26 PM
Apr 2014
Watashii said:
yatabare said:
LOL..

No, it had three volumes released, not two. Only two were released during those time periods (you're ignoring that the 2011 anime started airing in 2011).

They don't sell much merch for HxH. They're not trying to get you to buy figures or posters, just the manga, which the 2011 anime helped with.

...All the money from selling the manga flowed into JUMP and Togashi,not NTV.
There's no more to say.try to understand by yourself.
Jul 25, 2014 10:30 PM

Dec 2012
I wonder if the new HxH volume will reach 1 million in it's first week.
Jul 25, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2012
yatabare said:
Watashii said:

...All the money from selling the manga flowed into JUMP and Togashi,not NTV.
There's no more to say.try to understand by yourself.

Do you seriously think Nihon TV is the main source of funding for the TV series?
Jul 25, 2014 10:48 PM

Jun 2012

Production Committee for Hunter x Hunter

NTV
VAP(NTV subsidiary)
Madhouse(NTV subsidiary)

Shueisha was on the production committee until episode 100 when the anime switched from Sunday mornings to Tuesday late night
Jul 25, 2014 11:38 PM

Aug 2012
HybridMBL said:

Production Committee for Hunter x Hunter

NTV
VAP(NTV subsidiary)
Madhouse(NTV subsidiary)

Shueisha was on the production committee until episode 100 when the anime switched from Sunday mornings to Tuesday late night

Didn't know they left it. Still doesn't change they were funding it for the majority of the time it was airing and what I was talking about.
Jul 26, 2014 12:32 AM

Jun 2012
Watashii said:

Didn't know they left it. Still doesn't change they were funding it for the majority of the time it was airing and what I was talking about.

No you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to knowing how the anime is funded
NTV/VAP receives most(now all) of the money the anime was bringing in from tv ratings,disc sales, and merchandise. Shueisha received its share of money from the manga sales of Vol 30,31,32, the compilations they've been releasing, and licensing of the property. Once the tankobons caught up, it made no sense for them to stay on the committee since Togashi wasn't writing anymore chapters at the time

We'll never 100% know unless we see the books but you'd have to be a fool to think Shueisha is putting more money into the anime than NTV/VAP/Madhouse
HybridMBLJul 26, 2014 12:44 AM
Jul 26, 2014 1:23 AM

Aug 2012
HybridMBL said:
Watashii said:

No you just don't know what you're talking about when it comes to knowing how the anime is funded
NTV/VAP receives most(now all) of the money the anime was bringing in from tv ratings,disc sales, and merchandise. Shueisha received its share of money from the manga sales of Vol 30,31,32, the compilations they've been releasing, and licensing of the property. Once the tankobons caught up, it made no sense for them to stay on the committee since Togashi wasn't writing anymore chapters at the time

We'll never 100% know unless we see the books but you'd have to be a fool to think Shueisha is putting more money into the anime than NTV/VAP/Madhouse

I said I was wrong that they were the main funders when you pointed out they stopped funding it. But "funding it for the majority of the time it was airing" doesn't mean "funded the majority".
Jul 26, 2014 2:36 PM

Dec 2011
StefanHere said:

But it used to have a Saturday morning air time but was moved to Wednesday 1:30 am due to complaints from parents so how can madhouse keep it profitable when your target audience is asleep?

Maybe a little off topic, but isn't the target audience teenagers and young adults?
I know jump is geared towards kids, but a lot of adults read jump too. HxH has some seriously disturbing moments... I wouldn't be surprised if it was targeting a more mature audience.
Jul 26, 2014 2:53 PM

Dec 2012
DalPuri said:

Maybe a little off topic, but isn't the target audience teenagers and young adults?
I know jump is geared towards kids, but a lot of adults read jump too. HxH has some seriously disturbing moments... I wouldn't be surprised if it was targeting a more mature audience.

The content seem irrelevant. One Piece is more popular with young adults than teenagers, despite the very tame and somewhat childish content, and being in Shounen Jump. That is most likely because people who grew up with the manga kept reading it till now.
Jul 28, 2014 3:06 AM
Jun 2011
Also, the timeslot change had nothing to do with "complaints from parents". It was simply too expensive a slot for a series that had no peripherals (new cinema releases, new manga volumes etc) to promote.

H x H has always skewed among the oldest of any WSJ series. That's why is consistently scored low in the weekly rankings while the tankubon were huge sellers. The audience is certainly smaller in a latenight slot than on Sunday mornings, but it's having no problem reaching its target audience.
Jul 28, 2014 5:02 AM
Apr 2014
GuardianEnzo said:
Also, the timeslot change had nothing to do with "complaints from parents". It was simply too expensive a slot for a series that had no peripherals (new cinema releases, new manga volumes etc) to promote.

H x H has always skewed among the oldest of any WSJ series. That's why is consistently scored low in the weekly rankings while the tankubon were huge sellers. The audience is certainly smaller in a latenight slot than on Sunday mornings, but it's having no problem reaching its target audience.

It was because of complaints from parents that the timeslot changed.
No peripherals?
Stop lying plz.
Jul 29, 2014 4:41 PM
Jun 2011
yatabare said:

No peripherals?
Stop lying plz.

Listen, you're obviously entitled to believe whatever you want (and to be a douche about it). But frankly, this "theory" reflects a complete lack of understanding about how the anime industry works. This isn't like network TV in the USA - here, anime TV slots are almost like infomericals. The studios pay for the time because they know it will promote their product (which is in turn intended to promote other products, like manga or merchandise). Dinnertime and weekend AM slots are very, very expensive and at the time of the move H x H had absolutely nothing to promote - even the manga was still on hiatus. The move was inevitable.

This whole notion of "parental complaints" is a fantasy created by Westerners on chat boards and forums without a shred of actual evidence to back it up.
Jul 29, 2014 9:14 PM
Apr 2014
GuardianEnzo said:
yatabare said:

No peripherals?
Stop lying plz.

Listen, you're obviously entitled to believe whatever you want (and to be a douche about it). But frankly, this "theory" reflects a complete lack of understanding about how the anime industry works. This isn't like network TV in the USA - here, anime TV slots are almost like infomericals. The studios pay for the time because they know it will promote their product (which is in turn intended to promote other products, like manga or merchandise). Dinnertime and weekend AM slots are very, very expensive and at the time of the move H x H had absolutely nothing to promote - even the manga was still on hiatus. The move was inevitable.

This whole notion of "parental complaints" is a fantasy created by Westerners on chat boards and forums without a shred of actual evidence to back it up.

Understand about what?
My information came from NTV & some staff of Madhouse.
So where was your source of information?Your brain?
Jul 30, 2014 1:05 AM
Jun 2011
I'm surprised you didn't claim it was Togashi himself if you were going to go that route.
Jul 30, 2014 1:31 AM
Apr 2014
GuardianEnzo said:
I'm surprised you didn't claim it was Togashi himself if you were going to go that route.

Togashi doesn't care about the anime.He has no right to decide the timeslot.
I just tell the truth.
Jul 30, 2014 1:32 AM
Mar 2011
not very well
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014

animeboilolz - 7 hours ago

22 by Kaitaka12 »»
3 minutes ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Apr 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.