Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think about Western characters in Anime?

New
Jul 23, 2014 12:23 AM
Jul 2014
I was watching some Anime where there were Western Character and yet.. all of them seem to be speaking in fluent Japanese...

I think that is pretty out of the ordinary.

I mean Western Character in an Anime setting of Japan.
Jul 23, 2014 12:25 AM

Jun 2009
Watch Baccano dub, it won't feel out of character at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2014 12:26 AM

Jul 2014
To be honest i couldn't distinguish the difference between Western characters and Asian characters unless it specifically says where they are from.

Unless it looks like Brock in pokemon then yes it feels weird.

It also feels out of place even if they are speaking maybe German or French in Japan besides only feel normal if they are speaking Japanese because to us anime is a Japanese speaking world is it not?
I_Am_DrunkJul 23, 2014 12:30 AM
Jul 23, 2014 12:29 AM
Jul 2014
I_Am_Drunk said:
To be honest i couldn't distinguish the difference between Western characters and Asian characters unless it specifically says where they are from.

Unless it looks like Brock in pokemon then yes it feels weird.

Yes same here.

The Western characters that I am talking about usually state they are Western.
Jul 23, 2014 12:31 AM

May 2013
Because so many shows take German Empire aesthetics and society and transplant them into whatever genre (mostly sci fi), I've just started to assume the Germans spoke Japanese during that era.

Monster is the only time I can remember noticing the language dissonance, since they comment on Kenzo's nationality like all the time, say they're speaking in different languages (all while speaking Japanese) etc.
Jul 23, 2014 12:34 AM

Jan 2010
It was really weird in Black Lagoon when Balalaika had Rock as her translator when she was talking to that yakuza group in the Japanese dub.

Basically, everyone normally speaks Japanese, but only for that scene, Balalaika speaks Engrish which Rock translates to Japanese to the yakuza group. He then translates what they say back into Engrish, but when we get to hear Balalaika's thoughts, she's speaking in Japanese again.
Jul 23, 2014 12:51 AM

Jun 2014
Tbh, a lot of anime characters don't look like a specific race, or look too much like a specific race. Lelouch looks more Japanese than sazaku, but apparently lelouch is British and sazaku is Japanese. The only anime where I was able to tell the characters where or where not a specific race was attack on Titan, but that was more because the setting pointed to them being German, and the designs fit that.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 23, 2014 1:05 AM

Feb 2014
It feels weird and dumb really. I just watched Kaze no Tachinu and hearing German characters speak Japanese was just meh.

Jul 23, 2014 1:14 AM

Apr 2013
Shocked said:
It was really weird in Black Lagoon when Balalaika had Rock as her translator when she was talking to that yakuza group in the Japanese dub.

Basically, everyone normally speaks Japanese, but only for that scene, Balalaika speaks Engrish which Rock translates to Japanese to the yakuza group. He then translates what they say back into Engrish, but when we get to hear Balalaika's thoughts, she's speaking in Japanese again.

Black Lagoon is one of the rare shows that actually is better to watch english dubbed. Not only is it a good dubbing, but the show itself actually makes more sense as the characters actually have proper accents, and translation scenes are done correctly.

On topic though, yes in most shows I typically have no idea if a character is supposed to be western unless it is specifically stated. Usually they give these characters blonde hair or something different, but that unfortunately isn't enough evidence to give away race in anime since it's normal for everyone to have rainbow colors for hair even though they are all supposedly Japanese.

And of course all the western characters speak fluent Japanese and all that but that's really just for convenience.
Jul 23, 2014 1:32 AM

May 2014
I always find it funny when anime's introduce an english speaking person but the VA speaking is obviously Japanese and they end up BUTCHERING the language. It's probably the funniest thing I've seen in Japanese anime so far, even though they can't help it.
Jul 23, 2014 1:37 AM

Dec 2013
MoeSavage said:
I always find it funny when anime's introduce an english speaking person but the VA speaking is obviously Japanese and they end up BUTCHERING the language. It's probably the funniest thing I've seen in Japanese anime so far, even though they can't help it.

Yes this.

I always find it funny.
Jul 23, 2014 2:13 AM

Feb 2014
MoeSavage said:

You should see this in live asian dramas, its had me rolling before. You're introduced to an Asian-American character that has lived in the United States their entire life, but rocks a very thick Korean/Japanese/Chinese accent. Not to mention most of the Caucasian actors cast to play Americans are from Europe, so it sounds very awkward to a native speaker.

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

44 by DarkShame2 »»
25 seconds ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 56 minutes ago

20 by Pinoffin »»
27 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

128 by -YaoiBoy- »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

213 by Catalano »»
16 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 5 hours ago

28 by -Ryu »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.