Forum Settings
Forums

|Serious Members Please!!!|: An Anime with fantasy/action/romance with over 20-24 episodes(maybe 2-3 seasons)and an acceptable ending(not open to interpretation)

New
Jul 22, 2014 8:32 AM
Jul 2014
Ok, for starters, I'd like to say that this is my very first post on this site, and to tell the truth, I came here today because for some ungodly reason, I just can't seem to find either a question, or answer for that matter, similar to what I'm about to say. Now, to begin with what I'm looking for, I guess I'll go at this in a systematic fashion, and I'll explain what I'm requesting from each genre, which, to be clear, the anime(s) recommended should have each of, no stand-alone genres.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING FROM THIS POINT ON!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Fantasy: Now, let's see, when I say Fantasy, I mean something more or less unheard of in reality(PLEASE exclude Mecha, I beg you), or to be even more clear, something of a supernatural aspect. There are many examples of this, so, I'll do a little list of some of the things that strike me as fantasy. Vampires, In/Un-human Beings(that take human forms of course), Multiple Dimensions, Strange/Supernatural powers/Magic(lots of different explanations for "powers" so, for example, Control of Elements, and whatever else you'd classify as magical or supernatural), and anything pointing in that direction.
2. Action: By action, I really mean a decent(a lot, but not enough to overload the topic I'll be talking about below)amount of fighting and conflict. There's not really a way to misunderstand action, so...you know, along that line.
3. Romance: This topic is perhaps the most important, but like I said above, please don't suggest something with JUST romance, because that defeats the whole action/fantasy thing. By this, I mainly mean no "School Life" content, as I can't seem to sit through it. Anyhow, let me get into what the essence of the romance I'm looking for is. I want(interpret want as "need", since I'll probably drop/not watch the anime if it doesn't have this), first of all, a romantic plotline in which the two main characters develop and admit feelings for each other before(earlier the better)nearing the end of the show, because...dafuq, if you feel the same way as I do, you know damn well why...XP. Also, regarding romance of course, I want it to be open and plainly visible, and if you could squeeze in a kiss or two in there, I'd be, well, more eager to throw away a few hours of my life on the couch :3. Basically, to wrap it up, I want a romance that is a big part of the story, not an on-the-side romance, and not a hidden, suppressible romance, make sense?
Yaaaawn, man, glad the three big things are covered(do not interpret the three topics above as the only important ones, because everything down here is also required, unless you just simply CANNOT find what I'm looking for :I)
Now to move on to the rest. Let's start with the length. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said that 24 episodes was really "enough" for me. To be completely truthful, 24 episodes is really the minimum, and I'd appreciate it so very much if you could recommend something with more, but still, don't refrain from mentioning one just because it only has 24 eps. Thou dost not wish thee to refrain! Ight, das cova'd, now to move on the whole "Happy Ending" thingymehtopic. By this, ah, I mean exactly what it sounds like. I want something that really satisfies the watcher, and leaves little to no room for interpretation. I'm a little too fond for that word right now, so please excuse my extensive use of it.
Finally, I'd like to include two more things that I need to have in the anime(s) you guys may or may not recommend. The first thing has to do with weak Male leads. Just to be clear, again, it's fine if the male strives to become stronger and accomplishes this goal. Know what, weak was the wrong word. By weak, I mean a Male protag that has a wussy personality and doesn't strive to become better. The second thing has to do with leads in general. The whole romance thing means nothing if there is no development on both sides. By this, I mean I want it to explain and develop both "He and She". Well, I can't really think of anything else that would conflict me, except yaoi and yuri, if that's spelled right, as If I even had to mention that in this recommendation essay :}.
Oh, and a few examples of some animes I'm content with:

-Strike the Blood(Eh, the ending was a bit open, but the daughter bursting in really cleared up the question between the two mc's, so I enjoyed it)

-Rosario Vampire(I'm really referring to the manga here, but I'll count it for content.)

Ok, well, sorry for making this thing so damn long, but I really want something like what I've mentioned to invest some time in, and I'd appreciate as many anime(fu@# it, manga too, but anime is strongly advised. Damn, could've worded this better)as you can give me that match, completely, this criteria. Again, sorry for being so strict, but anyhow, thank you any/all for reading through this, and I wish you the happiest and best day possible, stay safe and good luck with anything any of you might be having trouble with!
Jul 22, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, seems to fit all of them but not completely for romance.
yo (⌐■_■)
Natsu Dragneel: "I said, I can whoop your ass without breaking a sweat."
Jul 22, 2014 9:01 AM

Sep 2013
Maybe, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (25 episodes) + Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (25 episodes).
Jul 22, 2014 9:07 AM

Mar 2012
InuYasha
Jul 22, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2014
Imstayingano said:
Maybe, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (25 episodes) + Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (25 episodes).

+1 but there's no romance there.
i also recommend
Sword art online, has fantasy, romance, action and 2nd season's airing already
Log Horizon: has fantasy, action, a hint of romance.

First thing that came to mind was zero no Tsukaima but you already watched it, :/

Edit: Sword Art Online really has everything you want
stringJul 22, 2014 9:17 AM
Jul 22, 2014 9:15 AM
Apr 2014
dafuq dude, who is going to read this essay?
Next time when you post try to be shorter. Either way people will loose interest or they will not read it at all so you'll get shitty recommendations.
The action and the fantasy are just awesome. Magic fights are plenty and also spectacular. The MC is crazy strong, but so are some of his enemies.
HE and SHE obviously care much about each other, but SHE is a full-time tsundere, so you'll have to wait a lot for her to express her love :)
The artwork is amazing. The magic fights are awesome. The plot is interesting. The MC aren't loosers. There are two seasons. Unfortunately in the first season there isn't any clear sign of romance, only hints of it.
But in the second one (I haven't watched it yet, it's on my PTW list) I heard there will be. Also the comedy combines very well with the drama.

It has over70 episodes. The plot is pretty good. Romance starts slowly but it becomes a strong component of the plot. Probably one of the most important. The MC becomes crazy strong. All fight are based on Magic. The whole anime evolves around fantasy.
I'd like to know what did you like and what you didn't :)
rupert123Jul 22, 2014 9:27 AM
Jul 22, 2014 9:19 AM

Nov 2013
+1 Magi.
It has a tiny bit of romance.

Jul 22, 2014 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
Shakugan no Shana since you liked Zero no Tsukaima.
Jul 22, 2014 9:24 AM

Jul 2013
Yup, Magi is really good, but there's not really any romance, just hinted. In the second season there is some, maybe.

And then Zetsuen no Tempest. You'll have to wait a bit for the romance, but it's got everything you want.
Jul 22, 2014 10:21 AM

May 2012
Dance in the Vampire Bund, perhaps?
Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo - romance is somewhat one-sided
Jul 22, 2014 11:52 AM
Jul 2014
Imstayingano said:

Thanks, I'll make sure to give them a try! Also, I'm new to this forums thing, so please, tell me if I'm replying to this wrong or if it needs to be somewhere else. As dumb as that may sound, it's true :(
Jul 22, 2014 11:56 AM
Jul 2014
sourteeth said:
Imstayingano said:

+1 but there's no romance there.
i also recommend
Sword art online, has fantasy, romance, action and 2nd season's airing already
Log Horizon: has fantasy, action, a hint of romance.

First thing that came to mind was zero no Tsukaima but you already watched it, :/

Thanks to you as well, and also, I forgot to mention Sao, but I watched it a few months back, and am watching season 2 as of now. Sorry I forgot to mention it, like I said, new to all this :3

kurai-ookami-san said:
dafuq dude, who is going to read this essay?
Next time when you post try to be shorter. Either way people will loose interest or they will not read it at all so you'll get shitty recommendations.
The action and the fantasy are just awesome. Magic fights are plenty and also spectacular. The MC is crazy strong, but so are some of his enemies.
HE and SHE obviously care much about each other, but SHE is a full-time tsundere, so you'll have to wait a lot for her to express her love :)
The artwork is amazing. The magic fights are awesome. The plot is interesting. The MC aren't loosers. There are two seasons. Unfortunately in the first season there isn't any clear sign of romance, only hints of it.
But in the second one (I haven't watched it yet, it's on my PTW list) I heard there will be. Also the comedy combines very well with the drama.

It has over70 episodes. The plot is pretty good. Romance starts slowly but it becomes a strong component of the plot. Probably one of the most important. The MC becomes crazy strong. All fight are based on Magic. The whole anime evolves around fantasy.
I'd like to know what did you like and what you didn't :)

Thanks to you too, again, sorry for waiting so long to reply, I'll get to watching those ASAP. Also, about the long request, I know, it was just way too long. I just kept adding things as I went, and I ended up taking it a little too far.

But umm, thanks guys, you're all really helpful, and these are honestly the fastest replies I've gotten...anywhere. Welp, thanks again, and have a good one :)
Jul 22, 2014 11:58 AM

Apr 2014
+1 Sword Art Online

Except the idea of fantasy is a bit different. People are sucked into a fantasy type game, and if you die in the game, your brain is destroyed and you die in real life. Some aspects of magic and supernatural.

Also, ever heard of paragraphing?
if you run you get faster to your location

have a nice day
- FALL3RE
Jul 22, 2014 11:58 AM

Apr 2014
OH COME ON 1 minute difference? Really? Lol, that always happens with me :D

have a nice day
- FALL3RE
Jul 22, 2014 12:09 PM
Jul 2014
RandomGuy2211 said:
+1 Sword Art Online

Except the idea of fantasy is a bit different. People are sucked into a fantasy type game, and if you die in the game, your brain is destroyed and you die in real life. Some aspects of magic and supernatural.

Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I'm a little absent-minded today. Thanks for replying though, and umm, about Sao, yeah, It doesn't necessarily strike me as fantasy, solely for the reason that it seems so much closer to being achievable than any other type of fantasy(and by so much closer, I mean the only thing remotely achievable, xP)
Jul 22, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2010
If you are old enough to enjoy Seinens or R rated action, I would strongly suggest Seirei no Moribito and Basilisk.

Seirei no Moribito has very little romance, but the fantasy aspect is among the elites and so is the action. Motherhood kind of love between a middle aged warrior woman and a kid is portrayed much more than romance. Watch it I promise, anyone will LOVE it.

Basilisk is the next anime which is more gory and mature fantasy/action/romance. It has quite a bit of romance as well which does not come at the cost of the wonderful ninja world and awesome action sequences. It has a great mature story to tell along with the action.
Jul 22, 2014 12:42 PM

Jan 2014
I'd second Log Horizon.. and if you have the patience to eventually sit through 112 episodes, try Yu Yu Hakusho. It has a modern Japanese setting but many fantasy elements.
Jul 22, 2014 12:55 PM
Jul 2014
lahzor said:
I'd second Log Horizon.. and if you have the patience to eventually sit through 112 episodes, try Yu Yu Hakusho. It has a modern Japanese setting but many fantasy elements.

jonnyhan said:
If you are old enough to enjoy Seinens or R rated action, I would strongly suggest Seirei no Moribito and Basilisk.

Seirei no Moribito has very little romance, but the fantasy aspect is among the elites and so is the action. Motherhood kind of love between a middle aged warrior woman and a kid is portrayed much more than romance. Watch it I promise, anyone will LOVE it.

Basilisk is the next anime which is more gory and mature fantasy/action/romance. It has quite a bit of romance as well which does not come at the cost of the wonderful ninja world and awesome action sequences. It has a great mature story to tell along with the action.

Thanks, I'll check them out :S
Jul 22, 2014 12:56 PM

Feb 2009
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Jul 23, 2014 12:25 PM

Apr 2014
Marthgun said:
Toaru Majutsu no Index

There is no romance whatsoever here. Otherwise I would have rec'd it :P

Ju5t4N0w said:
RandomGuy2211 said:
+1 Sword Art Online

Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I'm a little absent-minded today. Thanks for replying though, and umm, about Sao, yeah, It doesn't necessarily strike me as fantasy, solely for the reason that it seems so much closer to being achievable than any other type of fantasy(and by so much closer, I mean the only thing remotely achievable, xP)

Ha, lol.

Anyways, how about in the last 15 episodes? If the swordfighting wasnt enough, with weird and agressive monsters of all varieties attacking you, what about turning into an ELF with magical powers on a quest through a war between races to climb a big-ass tree to save his girl?

And, TBH, a stimulated version of the real world is enough to call fantasy.

And, if you havnt watched this, its only off by a bit and its FREAKING AWESOME. Watch it, you will not be disappointed. Like the MC, for example. Even though he is already OP as balls, he still strives to try his best, and regularly says cliché and overused lines like 'I wont give up' etc, and strives to become better, like you say.

And then the enjoyment factor. I just love it, along with like 97% of the people that watched this. So, overall, WATCH IT OR ILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP I think you should watch this. Highly recommended :D

have a nice day
- FALL3RE
Jul 23, 2014 2:08 PM

Jun 2010
Not sure if your list follows any importance/hierarchy so I'll just organize as I please:

1. You want series that excel on the fantasy genre but no mecha? Easy. Mecha isn't part of fantasy.
Given that you have Rosario and ZnT as favorites, you could try:
Rozen Maiden, Kannagi, Noein, Sola, Ga-Rei Zero, Mahou Shoujotai, Gunbuster, Index/Railgun, SnS, Cardcaptor Sakura, Basilisk, Claymore.

2. With action:
Stay: Kannagi (little but passable), Sola, Ga-Rei, SnS, Mahou Shoujotai (little but passable), Gunbuster, Index, Basilisk, Claymore.

3. Strong developed romance but without 'School life' tones:
Stay: Kannagi, Sola, Ga-Rei, SnS, Basilisk,

4. Length:
Stay: SnS, Basilisk.
(this really kills the good stuff. Kannagi, Ga-Rei and Sola are 13eps series)

Then, you have your answer.
Shakugan no Shana was pretty obvious. Given that ZnT is your favorite. Same kind of plot, same kind of romance and Rie Kugimiya as the tsundere MC.
Basilisk is deeper, have a lot of internal conflicts and a lot of killing, but sure excel in the fantasy genre.

Movies that you might wanna try:
Beyond the clouds, the promised place. *Huh. I've been recommending this a lot recently*
By Makoto Shinkai, like all of his stuff is focused on romance but have nice fantasy and thriller tones.
And the Kara no Kyoukai franchise.

Manga:
City Hunter, Blood Alone.
Find out by yourself.

Anyway, you should check the charts or go to >>>/a/ before posting something like this. Could answer your own questions.

sourteeth said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Jul 23, 2014 2:50 PM

Jan 2014
xbobx said:
Not sure if your list follows any importance/hierarchy so I'll just organize as I please:

1. You want series that excel on the fantasy genre but no mecha? Easy. Mecha isn't part of fantasy.
Rozen Maiden, Kannagi, Noein, Sola, Ga-Rei Zero, Mahou Shoujotai, Gunbuster, Index/Railgun, SnS, Cardcaptor Sakura, Basilisk, Claymore.

2. With action:
Stay: Kannagi (little but passable), Sola, Ga-Rei, SnS, Mahou Shoujotai (little but passable), Gunbuster, Index, Basilisk, Claymore.

4. Length:

Shakugan no Shana was pretty obvious. Given that ZnT is your favorite. Same kind of plot, same kind of romance and Rie Kugimiya as the tsundere MC.
Basilisk is deeper, have a lot of internal conflicts and a lot of killing, but sure excel in the fantasy genre.

Beyond the clouds, the promised place. *Huh. I've been recommending this a lot recently*
By Makoto Shinkai, like all of his stuff is focused on romance but have nice fantasy and thriller tones.

Manga:
Find out by yourself.

Anyway, you should check the charts or go to >>>/a/ before posting something like this. Could answer your own questions.

sourteeth said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Your avatar legitimately made me laugh.

In all seriousness though, the OP might consider trying Katanagatari as well.
Jul 24, 2014 5:36 PM
Jul 2014
xbobx said:

2. With action:

4. Length:

Manga:
Find out by yourself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Thanks a bunch, and really, I guess it couldn't hurt to try some of those shorter series. I'll get to it. Oh, and I'll try to use my resources a bit more before I jump to posting next time, thanks!

Oh, and RandomGuy, if we're still taking about SAO, I'm telling you, I've watched it already! xD, but thanks everybody, for taking the time to reply and help me out. It's really appreciated. You all have a good day :)
Jul 24, 2014 7:38 PM
May 2014
TWGOK is amazing.
(The World God Only Knows)
Jul 24, 2014 9:40 PM
Jul 2014
LinedFury said:
TWGOK is amazing.
(The World God Only Knows)

I've heard of that. Thanks, I'll try and give that a go too :3
Jul 24, 2014 10:16 PM
Jul 2014
Mirai Nikki fits all your requirements pretty well, in my opinion
Jul 25, 2014 8:16 AM
Jul 2014
The_King_Terry said:
Mirai Nikki fits all your requirements pretty well, in my opinion

Oops, should have mentioned that one. I've seen it already, but thanks anyways! :]
Jul 28, 2014 12:43 PM

Jun 2014
xbobx said:

sourteeth said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Joke's on you. He already watched it and he liked it.
Jul 28, 2014 12:54 PM
May 2012
Watch Shakugan no Shana.

-> 3 seasons
-> Romance (Whell...It's been a while since I watched it but I THINK they kiss in it too, not sure anymore though).
-> Fantasy? Yes, definetly. Action? Very much so (but the romance also plays an important role in the story development).

Hope you enjoy.
Jul 28, 2014 1:24 PM

Dec 2012
Ju5t4N0w said:
WALL OF TEXT 9 MILES LONG

Paragraphs and indentations: do you even?

You want:
Romance, action, fantasy, not mecha, with a good ending. Jeese, that was hard to type in a single sentence.

Berserk (romance is very limited, but is fantasy and VERY action)
Btooom! (kinda like Hunger Games but with bombs as weapons)
Cowboy Bebop (sci-fi with minor romance)
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha (supernatural / sci-fi)
Ergo Proxy - This one is probably the best fit overall, but still technically more sci-fi / supernatural than fantasy
Fullmetal Alchemist - Fantasy, but has less romance
Highschool of the Dead - supernatural, not fantasy
Steins;Gate - sci-fi, not fantasy
Summer Wars - sci-fi, not fantasy

So... everything that meets your requirements except happy ending:
Fullmetal Alchemist - bittersweet ending, definitely not happy
Berserk - this does not have a happy ending... it's one of the darkest

Oh yeah, and +1 Katanagatari. Again, may not have the ending you are looking for...

(Note I did ignore your episode requirements. Katanagatari is double the length for example per episode.)
CrimefridgeJul 28, 2014 2:19 PM
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Jul 28, 2014 2:53 PM
May 2012
Oh, you should watch Eureka 7 imo. It is mecha though, but you should give it a try. It's not as mecha as gundam for example, and the romance is really great.
Jul 31, 2014 6:21 AM
Jul 2014
Crimefridge said:
Ju5t4N0w said:
WALL OF TEXT 9 MILES LONG

Paragraphs and indentations: do you even?

You want:
Romance, action, fantasy, not mecha, with a good ending. Jeese, that was hard to type in a single sentence.

Berserk (romance is very limited, but is fantasy and VERY action)
Btooom! (kinda like Hunger Games but with bombs as weapons)
Cowboy Bebop (sci-fi with minor romance)
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha (supernatural / sci-fi)
Ergo Proxy - This one is probably the best fit overall, but still technically more sci-fi / supernatural than fantasy
Fullmetal Alchemist - Fantasy, but has less romance
Highschool of the Dead - supernatural, not fantasy
Steins;Gate - sci-fi, not fantasy
Summer Wars - sci-fi, not fantasy

So... everything that meets your requirements except happy ending:
Fullmetal Alchemist - bittersweet ending, definitely not happy
Berserk - this does not have a happy ending... it's one of the darkest

Oh yeah, and +1 Katanagatari. Again, may not have the ending you are looking for...

(Note I did ignore your episode requirements. Katanagatari is double the length for example per episode.)

Right...about that...hehe, when I wrote that, I was in that post-series depression kinda deal and really wanted to express what I was looking for in these anime, and it got kinda long. But, anyhow, thanks for the recs, I'll make sure to look into all of them :)

Ernaldaes said:
Oh, you should watch Eureka 7 imo. It is mecha though, but you should give it a try. It's not as mecha as gundam for example, and the romance is really great.

Alright, I'll also make sure to look into it, can't hurt to try ^_^

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 6 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
5 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.