Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2008 1:41 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
very good episode ^^
i have just one something to say,
"ippen, shinde miru?"
Apr 24, 2008 7:13 PM

Dec 2007
Explain to me one thing.
Why does those people sell their souls for something as trivial as this?
It's the same as episode 3 I think... With the baseball. I know he killed his friend, but if he used his head he would record the damn talk. He would both bring the bastard down and would save his soul. Same here. "Oh she doesn't want to be my friend anymore, GO TO HELL!!" I understand some people in the series, but some of those problems are so trivial, that I can't even begin to imagine selling my soul for something like that O_O
MauroxApr 24, 2008 7:32 PM

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
May 7, 2008 5:59 PM

Sep 2007
People in Japan sell their souls so cheap some times...
Jun 30, 2008 11:16 AM

May 2008
Maurox said:
Explain to me one thing.
It's the same as episode 3 I think... With the baseball. I know he killed his friend, but if he used his head he would record the damn talk. He would both bring the bastard down and would save his soul. Same here. "Oh she doesn't want to be my friend anymore, GO TO HELL!!" I understand some people in the series, but some of those problems are so trivial, that I can't even begin to imagine selling my soul for something like that O_O

I agree with you, but even though the reasons showed are dull, for those people they are important. Things like honor have such a weight in the japanese way.

I´m enjoying the series, but I would like to see it get a bit better...
Sep 10, 2008 10:57 AM

May 2008
Maurox said:
Explain to me one thing.

QFT. I'd like some explanation myself.

I like this show even though the plot is the same in each episode :/ But I want some development too.
Jun 29, 2009 10:20 AM

Dec 2008
Stupid girl. What happened to girl fights? Try cutting her hair or start some gossips about her! We all went to elementary school, these stuff are just regular, dammit! When you get a lil bit older, you'll find other friends, just have some dignity and let go of it!
Jul 18, 2009 12:41 PM

Jul 2008
why do friends always betray each other
Jul 28, 2009 2:30 AM

Sep 2007
Well this has been the only ep where I thought the reason was a little silly. Personally I would probably sell my soul for something pretty silly.

Slow development is happening with the article guy.

figure8life said:
why do friends always betray each other

Unfortunately even the best of friends sometimes betray you. But if it's a really good friend I guess you just gotta get over it.

Aug 19, 2009 4:38 PM

Sep 2007
Well... setting aside all the pride and honor... If you really think about it, she was totally obsessed with her and I think this was not only friendship she was feeling.
The main character of this episode was obviously very confused. She should probably think of something else instead of... SENDING STRAIGHT TO HELL 0.o That just shows how obsessively desperate she was. Still, from the way she was acting you can tell she was feeling something more than just friendship, but she just probably wasn't aware of it herself.
All in all, pretty good episode even though the story was a bit iffy... especially with the conclusion, which was kinda over the top in my opinion. ; p

Aug 22, 2009 5:55 PM

Jun 2009
all I can say is.... wow...

We'll, I've been wondering what will happen if "accidents" such as this occur... apparently it works no matter how the string is pulled.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 10:34 PM

Aug 2009
Lol. She sold her soul to the devil just because her old friend stopped hanging out with her.

Nice episode.
Oct 25, 2009 5:24 PM

Apr 2009
Maurox said:
Explain to me one thing.

In Japan, which is an interdependant society, social bonds are incredibly important. In Japan, focus is placed on the community and not on the individual, and so leaning on each other is important. In more indepandant socities, such as America, the focus is placed on individual over community and, so, bonds of friendship do not have as much importance placed on them in that, say, if you are a loner in an independant society, it's not such a big deal. One might get a little bit lonely, but that's arbitrary. To be ostracized and thrown from the group in an interdependant society like Japan is a huge deal and can drive people to suicide, even. Minami to me looked like Shiori was her only friend, and to lose her only friend was the equivalent of losing everything.

I'm not sure exactly how that came out as a paragraph, and I am not trying to make negative generalizations about any sort of culture. I'm just explaning the best I can what I learned in my social psychology class.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Nov 8, 2009 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
Aureole said:
Stupid girl. What happened to girl fights? Try cutting her hair or start some gossips about her! We all went to elementary school, these stuff are just regular, dammit! When you get a lil bit older, you'll find other friends, just have some dignity and let go of it!

XDD This.

But still, It totally sucks that she'll go to hell, and in the end, she didn't even want to do it...><
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 18, 2009 3:41 PM

Aug 2008
Jesus Christ.

Shiori was the worst, she used the only friend that didn't betray her and was just thinking about herself. She deserved to be left out too since she did it first :/ In Minami's place I'd just tell her "Well, didn't you preferred those girls before me? Go with them now" xD I was wondering the whole time why she forgave her in the first place.

Too bad for Minami, though. But she should never have put Shiori's name in that webpage, she deserved it too.

Dec 28, 2009 2:43 PM

Nov 2009
total backfire!!!
Jan 31, 2010 12:45 AM
Sep 2009
Another interesting departure from the regular formula. Methinks Ai likes to observe people, especially her clients- especially when things don't go according to aforementioned formula.
Just my two cents.
Mar 20, 2010 6:27 AM

Aug 2008
I think Ai secretly wishes for happy endings. She looked kind of sad when Minami decided to pull the string only in front of Shiori so as to see her expression. Then again her face is always expressionless so it might be me.
May 24, 2010 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
Feel really sorry for that girl, she didn't even want to do it, dammit! And Shiori is really stupid and lunatic, to belive she would really ferry herself to hell. Seriously, sometimes the people in animes are just too crazy...
Jul 3, 2010 6:00 AM

Jul 2008
It is getting really tedious to hear Ai explain the rules of Hell Correspondence each episode.
Jul 3, 2010 7:11 AM

Dec 2009
Well , the taller girl did replied "so what" when the smaller girl told her she'll also die..
Oct 17, 2010 7:05 AM

Sep 2009
LMAO interesting ep. so besides these 2 girls being complete fools,
I'm more interested in things like..
the hole appeared in a dif place this time
(also Ai always sais 2 holes will appear and it always looks like one to me)
finding out that Wanyuudou is the doll. I always thought he just left to GET the doll lol
and how is it that the father and daughter are so connected with Ai?!
Dec 26, 2010 7:30 PM

Jan 2010
LOL at this episode xD I feel sorry for Minami there, she didnt want to pull it .
Jan 4, 2011 9:53 PM

Dec 2007
Suffer one lifetime or suffer for all eternity? Is it really so hard to see the better choice? =_=
Feb 16, 2011 2:58 AM

Oct 2008
That girl deserved it. What a bitch.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 12, 2011 11:38 AM

Mar 2010
i dont get those two girls...
May 12, 2011 5:32 PM

May 2010
detectiveyoshi said:

Me neither...

So why did she ignore her?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 6, 2011 12:39 PM

Feb 2010
Cele said:
Maurox said:
Explain to me one thing.

In Japan, which is an interdependant society, social bonds are incredibly important. In Japan, focus is placed on the community and not on the individual, and so leaning on each other is important. In more indepandant socities, such as America, the focus is placed on individual over community and, so, bonds of friendship do not have as much importance placed on them in that, say, if you are a loner in an independant society, it's not such a big deal. One might get a little bit lonely, but that's arbitrary. To be ostracized and thrown from the group in an interdependant society like Japan is a huge deal and can drive people to suicide, even. Minami to me looked like Shiori was her only friend, and to lose her only friend was the equivalent of losing everything.

I'm not sure exactly how that came out as a paragraph, and I am not trying to make negative generalizations about any sort of culture. I'm just explaning the best I can what I learned in my social psychology class.

That makes a lot of sense. I learned something pretty similar in my Speech class last year, so it was cool for a reminder :)

darkerealm said:
I think Ai secretly wishes for happy endings.

Same here. It's probably pretty depressing to be taking people to Hell so frequently, job or no.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jun 22, 2011 11:45 AM

Jun 2011
Day2Dream said:
Suffer one lifetime or suffer for all eternity? Is it really so hard to see the better choice? =_=

Indeed. Some people are really stupid.

This story in this episode was a little retarded unlike most of the previous ones, but I still think it introduced something: the fact that untying the thread would trigger the covenant even when the person isn't willingly untying it. And the fact that the person who summoned Hell Girl is ultimately the one responsible for it even if they change their mind about it later.
Dec 30, 2011 7:33 PM

Jul 2009
Maurox said:
Explain to me one thing.

Childishness? I wouldn't really like an explanation so much, 'cause I'd be just wasting my time hearing it, but I totally agree with you.
Jan 16, 2012 5:59 AM

Dec 2011
Very good episode 5/5
Signature:
Jan 24, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
Only thing I found intresting in this episode was that it finally answered the 'what happens if the string gets pulled, even if the other person dosen't want to, or is forced.. or it is pulled accidently?' and that is... your ass is going to hell whether you meant to pull the string or not!!! xD

Aside from that the episode was a tad far fetched, although I do think the main character wanted more than just a 'friendship' some of her actions were a tad stalkerish and obsessive!
May 5, 2012 8:27 AM

Jun 2011
ScrewBall said:
Another interesting departure from the regular formula. Methinks Ai likes to observe people, especially her clients- especially when things don't go according to aforementioned formula.
This :)

This was kinda boring-ish episode but I'm still happy to see this kind of variation of what happens when an "accident" like this comes.
It was good, but no more episodes like this again, please. Slow development in each episode with the reporter but that isn't quite enough. We need more variation, like the 7th episode ^^
Aug 5, 2012 11:21 AM

May 2012
Nice episode though fucked that the tall girls own actions led her straight to hell!

I like the under development of the story with the scammer and the lil girl!
Sep 14, 2012 6:22 PM

Apr 2011
Shiori was never a good friend. I thought she was kind at first, but it was only deception of her true value. She found better friends in high school and ditch shorty Minami, who tried so hard to follow after Shiori and her school (hard to get in). I mean, can't you cram one more gal in 4 girl group? Geez

Sad ending for Minami and LOL@ Shiori suicide attempt
Karasuchan said:
Well , the taller girl did replied "so what" when the smaller girl told her she'll also die..
That got to me too.. :(
Jan 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
Lol women and their fights. Always keeping grudges. It's good to be a guy. These things are so trivial. Also I think at the end Ai didn't watch the two girls at the end because she knew what was gonna happen next. She probably went beck to hell to suit up or something.
Jun 15, 2013 6:03 PM

Jun 2012
strange episode they aren't friends any more cause some call her a stalker for sending so much text messages then they are about to make up and then by unexpected reasons the person who would be sent to hell force the other to make the deal wtf. still to bad we didn't see what this person had to go trough before going to hell.

Inaba-chan said:
Lol women and their fights. Always keeping grudges. It's good to be a guy. These things are so trivial. Also I think at the end Ai didn't watch the two girls at the end because she knew what was gonna happen next. She probably went beck to hell to suit up or something.

exactly what I was thinking.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 23, 2014 7:30 PM

Oct 2013
Out of all the episodes I watched this is up there as being the DUMBEST SHIT I HAVE SEEN

Do people in Japan really sell their soles for petty shit like this. *SMH*
May 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Dec 2013
After this episode I'm starting to suspect that I watch Jigoku shoujo mainly to see Enma Ai.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 15, 2014 5:26 PM

Aug 2013
HOLY SHIT. 2 PLOT TWISTS LIKE WTF.
And they article dude is getting closer and closer to what is actually going on! Can't wait to see what happens next!
Jul 1, 2014 3:09 AM
Dec 2013
I've always wondered what would happen if someone stole the doll or someone other than the victim pulled the string. It pretty much still worked. Well that's flawed.
Oct 2, 2014 10:30 PM

Nov 2013
I think this was the second most interesting episode in this series thus far. My god Minami must be fucking crazy, having the desire to kill Shiori just because she stopped hanging out with her. I know Shiori must have never heard of the Hell Girl rumor but still, it made her look fucking idiotic killing herself with the doll.
FunnyRatmanOct 2, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2, 2014 10:32 PM

Nov 2013
I found it intersting cause I thought if someone else pulled the string besides the one who made the contract, the one who made the contract would be sent to hell not the victim.

Oct 2, 2014 10:33 PM

Nov 2013
Nemesis_Andrmd said:
After this episode I'm starting to suspect that I watch Jigoku shoujo mainly to see Enma Ai.
And Ren. Goddamn that guy makes me moist.

Oct 8, 2014 10:17 AM

Jan 2014
detectiveyoshi said:
Dec 24, 2014 1:01 AM

Aug 2013
The hell was that ?!
Ahh well she deserved it.. they both have some screw lose somewhere lol.
Apr 14, 2015 11:25 PM

Jun 2014
what an interesting turn of events!
Apr 30, 2015 6:43 PM

May 2010
I think Minami was driven that far not only because Shiori denied her friendship, but also because she was now viewed as a stalker and an outcast to the entire class. And what Shiori did was really shitty, and something similar has happened to me so I kinda know what Minami feels like.

And I always hate how that one guy is always just a second too late lol.
Jun 9, 2015 3:01 PM

Aug 2013
This episode has no sense at all. Seriously, last eps has no sense too, but this one just has that much sense like most hentai storylines.
The concept of this anime is really good, but execution and story writing is awful.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 2, 2015 3:14 PM

Feb 2015
That was one creepy kid, that Minami. "Let's be friends in Hell too, Shiori." Eugh.. I mean they were both quite awful but seriously sending her in Hell for ignoring her? She must have been little crazy in head. And Shiori too, trying to curse her whole class. She was no friend to Minami at all. I don't feel bad for either one of them.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitamaking - Oct 4, 2008

106 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.