Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2014 3:28 AM
Apr 2013
Hi all, I've been watching anime for 3-4 years now. I'm looking for something similar to Death note / Code Geass / Mirai Nikki / Steins;Gate.
I'd like a really good battle of wits anime but I understand my chances are slim. I've done a generic search and looked at Umineko, not real interested. Same goes for Danganronpa.

Otherwise a good shounen would be nice, I really enjoy HxH, OP, Black Bullet, SnK.

I REALLY enjoyed GTO which I thought I would never like due to the genre. Also loved Samurai Champloo.

Currently watching Cowboy Bebop, though I'm not yet amazed and don't understand the "best anime ever" hype that surrounds it.

I've been recommended Black Lagoon a long time ago, this may be my next one to watch.

I've considered Fairy Tail but after reading some reviews and being told it's not worth such a long series, I've had second thoughts.

Any ideas would be nice, hoping to find a hidden gem.

EDIT: I've also seen and enjoyed SAO, NGNL and currently really liking Akame ga Kill.
SilxnceeeJul 21, 2014 4:14 AM
Jul 21, 2014 5:03 AM

Jul 2014
Here are some recommendations Ao no Exorcist,Highschool of the Dead,Noragami,Elfen Lied.Try them you might like some of them.I've watched them and they're pretty good
Jul 21, 2014 5:27 AM

Jun 2014
FMA Brotherhood. Best shounen ever imo. It's also the highest rated anime on MAL i think.
Jul 21, 2014 5:32 AM
Apr 2013
I was actually just looking at Ao no Exorcist a few hours ago. Not interested in HOTD,

Noragami looks cool/promising, I'll check it out, thanks.

I've heard about Elfen Lied before. I'm not sure I'm interested in it... It's pretty gruesome isn't it?
SilxnceeeJul 21, 2014 5:43 AM
Jul 21, 2014 5:37 AM
Apr 2013
LunaticFringe said:
FMA Brotherhood. Best shounen ever imo. It's also the highest rated anime on MAL i think.

I'm well aware of FMA Brotherhood, it's not my cup of tea. Thanks though.
Jul 21, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2014
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! is a great shounen, its a bit long (203 episodes) and the first 20 episodes may mislead you into thinking its crap, but all-in-all its pretty good.
Jul 21, 2014 6:40 AM

Feb 2013
Silxnceee said:
LunaticFringe said:

Why not? You seem to like other shounen, so what's bothering you? I was skeptical at first too, but it totally is one of the best shounen series around.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 21, 2014 11:24 AM

Dec 2013
Go ahead and watch Black Lagoon
Jul 21, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2014
I recommended Soul Eater if you like Shounen.
Jul 21, 2014 1:10 PM

May 2014
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 22, 2014 1:51 AM
Apr 2013
sherlock5545 said:
Silxnceee said:

Why not? You seem to like other shounen, so what's bothering you? I was skeptical at first too, but it totally is one of the best shounen series around.

I'm not too sure to be honest.

Take bleach for example, I gave it about 10-15 episodes and just could not get in to it at all. It's a hugely popular anime and one that people thought I would like but I just could not enjoy it.

If enough people seriously recommend it then I will give FMA Brotherhood a real shot. I just don't want to waste time on such a long series.

CrotakuShinobi said:
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
The reviews/ratings look horrible and the plot didn't spark my interest at all. Thanks though.
Jul 22, 2014 6:47 AM

Feb 2013
Another good series is Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic and Magi - The Kingdom of Magic. There's probably going to be a third season or else you can read the manga, which is one of the best shounen around as of now.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 22, 2014 10:14 AM

May 2012
Silxnceee said:
I'd like a really good battle of wits anime but I understand my chances are slim.

I don't see Monster on your list, nor in these recommendations. You should also give Mononoke and its prequel, the "Bake Neko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, a try. Every episode consists of a battle of wits between a demon slayer, his target, and the various humans whose past misdeeds conjured up the demon.

Hyouge Mono might be another option.

For a battle of wits with a comedy flair, watch Level E, particularly the closing arc.
Jul 24, 2014 3:03 AM
Apr 2013
SeijiSensei said:
Silxnceee said:
I'd like a really good battle of wits anime but I understand my chances are slim.

I don't see Monster on your list, nor in these recommendations. You should also give Mononoke and its prequel, the "Bake Neko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, a try. Every episode consists of a battle of wits between a demon slayer, his target, and the various humans whose past misdeeds conjured up the demon.

Hyouge Mono might be another option.

For a battle of wits with a comedy flair, watch Level E, particularly the closing arc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have Monster on my list under "on-hold". I was watching it late last year and kinda just gave up on it at around episode 22. Might try get back in to it, not sure why I dropped it.

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
10 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.