Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2014 1:32 AM
Dec 2013
I am a fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies EVER. I just completed Princess Mononoke and I am just left scratching my head. How is this his best film? It wasn't bad by any stretch. But I don't see how it even is in the same conversation as Spirited Away.

My issues with the film

1. Eboushi just magically changes her mind at the end? After having her arm bit off and village destroyed, she now had NO NEED for the tons of iron under the forest? What would be the logic for this change of heart?

2. The Emperors wrath was never imposed in the film, making you question why they even really wanted the head that badly in the first place. It seems like it was just a plot device so they could behead the Forrest Spirit and teach everyone the lesson that nature is cool.

3. I came into this film thinking it was mainly a ROMANCE. Either I was wrong or the Romance was extremely half baked. For one, they didn't know each other nearly long enough to fall in love. Besides her reluctantly saving him, I don't see how they had a romantic interest in each other. She actually was about to KILL HIM before the Apes were about to eat him. Then she decided to save his life instead? What? Her change of heart was unexplained as was her reasoning for falling in love with him. The same goes for Ashitaka falling in live with her. She was just a damsel in distress.........so you fell in love with her how? Their love was NEVER explained, the movie just kinda made it up and expected you to believe it. There was zero evidence of actual romance. They seemed more like partners, not lovers.

4. The ending was so anti-climactic. So this girl that he is "in love with" decides he isn't important enough for her to invite him to live with her in the Forrest. He also doesn't care enough about the girl that "he loves" to follow her or protest her decision. He'd rather go help the townspeople he met last week?!? LOL OK. After all they went though they just decide to part ways & visit each other every now and then? Aren't they supposed to be in LOVE? WTF is up with the ending?

5. The story while very good, I dont think it made you feel as emotional as it should have. I never felt BAD for the forest potentially being destroyed. San wasn't an extremely lovable character and neither was her clan (PS. Since when is a CLAN 4 MEMBERS?). San & her clan acted very abrasive for most of the movie, the Boar clan were as*holes. Like during no point of this movie was I sad that those characters might be losing their home. The emotional connection between the viewer and the forest was never made.

I am in no way trying to say this is a bad movie. This is still a very good movie. The story was good, the duality of the characters was amazing but the half-baked Romance and the anticlimactic ending just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't see what makes this movie the greatest thing ever made like many people claim it is.
Jul 21, 2014 1:39 AM

Jun 2009
People have different opinions. Shocking.
Jul 21, 2014 1:44 AM

Jan 2011
Since when is it considered his best film?
Jul 21, 2014 1:46 AM
Dec 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
People worship the ground Miyazaki walks on. Ive heard people on this site talk non stop about PM. I just dont see what makes it that great

grandy_UiD said:
You dont have to be a jerk about it. I'm asking because I think I must have missed something or some concept in the film that makes it so legendary.

Mod Edit: Merged double post. Please edit your previous post
TyrelJul 21, 2014 2:47 AM
Jul 21, 2014 1:47 AM

Jan 2009
speaking of studio ghibli there is a rumor that they will not make new films anymore after the last one that will air this year

So, Studio Ghibli won't be creating new animated works, but rather, making money off the anime its created so far.

The insider added animated films required tremendous amounts of money, so there is pressure for the films to be successful so Ghibli can cover its costly production expenses as well as, I'd imagine, remain healthy and profitable. By the insider's count, each film apparently needs to make at least ten billion yen (US$100 million) to cover all its production costs as well as, I'd imagine, turn a healthy profit. Even with a relatively small staff, the insider puts Ghibli's annual labor expenses at supposedly two billion yen ($19.7 million). Note: These numbers are unconfirmed.

http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-might-quit-making-feature-films-says-rep-1608198259
Jul 21, 2014 1:48 AM

Jan 2011
^lol Kotaku
Oma266 said:
ReaperCreeper said:
People worship the ground Miyazaki walks on. Ive heard people on this site talk non stop about PM. I just dont see what makes it that great

I have never heard anyone on here talk about it, and it's my favourite anime.
Jul 21, 2014 1:48 AM

Feb 2014
Oma266 said:
grandy_UiD said:
You dont have to be a jerk about it. I'm asking because I think I must have missed something or some concept in the film that makes it so legendary.

He's not being a jerk, he is right. You didn't miss anything, you just didn't enjoy it like other people did. There is no magic formula anyone can give you that will lead you into a state of transcendence - you just didn't enjoy it. There isn't anything wrong with that.
Jul 21, 2014 1:49 AM
Dec 2013
j0x said:
speaking of studio ghibli there is a rumor that they will not make new films anymore after the last one that will air this year

So, Studio Ghibli won't be creating new animated works, but rather, making money off the anime its created so far.

The insider added animated films required tremendous amounts of money, so there is pressure for the films to be successful so Ghibli can cover its costly production expenses as well as, I'd imagine, remain healthy and profitable. By the insider's count, each film apparently needs to make at least ten billion yen (US$100 million) to cover all its production costs as well as, I'd imagine, turn a healthy profit. Even with a relatively small staff, the insider puts Ghibli's annual labor expenses at supposedly two billion yen ($19.7 million). Note: These numbers are unconfirmed.

http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-might-quit-making-feature-films-says-rep-1608198259

Very interesting. That sucks because they are amazing movies, but I cant imagine that Animated movies light up the box office. So I can see why they might have to shut down.
Jul 21, 2014 1:50 AM
Dec 2013
Feyfray said:
Oma266 said:

He's not being a jerk, he is right. You didn't miss anything, you just didn't enjoy it like other people did. There is no magic formula anyone can give you that will lead you into a state of transcendence - you just didn't enjoy it. There isn't anything wrong with that.

He was being a jerk by being sarcastic. But if Its good how could I have not enjoyed it. It has a 97% on RT. It should be an undeniable good. Impossible to not enjoy.
Jul 21, 2014 1:51 AM
Dec 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
^lol Kotaku
Oma266 said:

I have never heard anyone on here talk about it, and it's my favourite anime.

So what is it about this movie that makes it so amazing. I had to have missed something. Why is it your fav?
Jul 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Feb 2014
Oma266 said:
Feyfray said:

He was being a jerk by being sarcastic. But if Its good how could I have not enjoyed it. It has a 97% on RT. It should be an undeniable good. Impossible to not enjoy.

Welcome to the 3%, I guess.
Jul 21, 2014 1:55 AM
Dec 2013
Feyfray said:
Oma266 said:

Unlikely considering I enjoy all his films. Just disappointing that this film is so over hyped because it has his name attached to it. Oh well.
Jul 21, 2014 1:57 AM

Jan 2011
Oma266 said:
So what is it about this movie that makes it so amazing. I had to have missed something. Why is it your fav?

For lots of reasons, most of all because I was fully invested in it at all times, even when rewatching.
Jul 21, 2014 1:58 AM
Dec 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
Oma266 said:

For lots of reasons, most of all because I was fully invested in it at all times, even when rewatching.

I dont really get what you mean, but I'll give it a rewatch and hope something dawns on me that didnt the 1st time.
Jul 21, 2014 1:59 AM

Feb 2014
Oma266 said:
Feyfray said:

Unlikely considering I enjoy all his films. Just disappointing that this film is so over hyped because it has his name attached to it. Oh well.

It probably has more to do with your expectations going in than anything else. You probably approached it with a certain mindset and didn't even realize it. Princess Mononoke is slightly "heavier" than his other popular works, so it doesn't have the same feel as my favorites (Totoro and Spirited Away) so maybe that also has something to do with it.
Jul 21, 2014 2:02 AM
Dec 2013
Feyfray said:
Oma266 said:

It probably has more to do with your expectations going in than anything else. You probably approached it with a certain mindset and didn't even realize it. Princess Mononoke is slightly "heavier" than his other popular works, so it doesn't have the same feel as my favorites (Totoro and Spirited Away) so maybe that also has something to do with it.

Heavier as in more serious? Possibly. I expected it too be amazing so maybe I was asking to be let down. Most of my distaste was I entered expecting a Romance. To see the romance so haf done left me really disappointed. Ill try re-watching understanding its mostly an action film with minimal romance.
Jul 21, 2014 2:05 AM

Feb 2014
Mononoke wasnt a romance movie. Where did you hear that?
Also, for your not enjoing it... It all depends on the taste.
Jul 21, 2014 2:06 AM

Feb 2014
Oma266 said:

Heavier as in more serious? Possibly. I expected it too be amazing so maybe I was asking to be let down. Most of my distaste was I entered expecting a Romance. To see the romance so haf done left me really disappointed. Ill try re-watching understanding its mostly an action film with minimal romance.

It's more serious than any of his other works that I have seen - and yeah, watching it expecting romance is setting yourself up to be let down.
Jul 21, 2014 2:06 AM

Jun 2009
Just to answer a few questions:

Yes you have been mistaken in thinking this was a romance (how did you even come to that conclusion). Now whether their love is believable or not is up for debate. I generally think a movie of two hours is too short to give the viewer a plausible romance.I actually agree with you that their relationship seemed more platonic. This didn't decrease my enjoyment at all though since I certainly didn't watch it for the romance. If you went into it expecting a good romance I can understand that you'd be disappointed.

The ending is not "anti-climatic". The climax is basically everything after the head is shot off, culminating in the forest god falling on top of the town which was all pretty epic if you ask me. Anything after isn't exactly "anti-climatic" either it's simply an open ending. How will their relationship progress? What's gonna happen to the town? Who knows...it's not really important for the point the movie was trying to make. Maybe Ashitaka will just leave because he's bored and some days later everyone will get slaughtered by the emperor's troops. Could happen...

As for the animals not being all that sympathetic, well that was kind of the whole point. No faction in this can be considered "right" or "wrong" (except for maybe the emperor). The humans aren't just nasty assholes destroying poor mother nature. They're not doing it for the heck of it, they're trying to make a living. The animals on the other hand are losing their home, however they are indiscriminately slaughtering humans and (at least the boars) are pretty fanatical about it. They are intentionally not portrayed as the poor innnocent victims. Neither humans nor animals are completely in the right. The movie is about co-existence and finding a balance between nature and industrial progress.
Jul 21, 2014 2:07 AM
Dec 2013
LadySofia said:
Mononoke wasnt a romance movie. Where did you hear that?
Also, for your not enjoing it... It all depends on the taste.

Well 1. Idk I just expected it to be.

2. They TRIED to make it into that halfway into the movie and failed miserably. "That boy wants to spend his life with you" and all that jazz. They tried to shove in romance that was so unnatural. It just didnt fit into the movie. If the movie wasnt a romance it wouldnt have bothered me that much. But the fact that they tried to make it a romance and did it so badly was what bothered me.
Jul 21, 2014 2:08 AM

May 2014
It has more of a pro-ecological focus through character drama and it also has a more plot driven story making it a more thrilling watch.

You care about the character because of what's happening TO THEM, not what's happening just between them, there are simple romance hints, but no actual romance.
Jul 21, 2014 2:09 AM
Dec 2013
Feyfray said:
Oma266 said:

It's more serious than any of his other works that I have seen - and yeah, watching it expecting romance is setting yourself up to be let down.

My issue wasnt really that it wasnt a romance. My issue was that they tried to put in romantic elements and did it horribly. But I agree with your first point.

T3hSource said:
It has more of a pro-ecological focus through character drama and its also more plot driving making it a more thrilling watch.

Thank you for actually answering the question. I see where you're coming from. The character design was brilliant. The duality of each character was genius. I could see each character as a hero and a villain.

Mod Edit: Merged double post. Please edit your previous post
TyrelJul 21, 2014 2:48 AM
Jul 21, 2014 2:12 AM

Feb 2014
Well, since you want to see the good points of it, you could watch this:

http://www.jesuotaku.com/retrospective/princess-mononoke/
Jul 21, 2014 2:21 AM
Dec 2013
grandy_UiD said:
Just to answer a few questions:

Yes you have been mistaken in thinking this was a romance (how did you even come to that conclusion). Now whether their love is believable or not is up for debate. I generally think a movie of two hours is too short to give the viewer a plausible romance.I actually agree with you that their relationship seemed more platonic. This didn't decrease my enjoyment at all though since I certainly didn't watch it for the romance. If you went into it expecting a good romance I can understand that you'd be disappointed.

The ending is not "anti-climatic". The climax is basically everything after the head is shot off, culminating in the forest god falling on top of the town which was all pretty epic if you ask me. Anything after isn't exactly "anti-climatic" either it's simply an open ending. How will their relationship progress? What's gonna happen to the town? Who knows...it's not really important for the point the movie was trying to make. Maybe Ashitaka will just leave because he's bored and some days later everyone will get slaughtered by the emperor's troops. Could happen...

As for the animals not being all that sympathetic, well that was kind of the whole point. No faction in this can be considered "right" or "wrong" (except for maybe the emperor). The humans aren't just nasty assholes destroying poor mother nature. They're not doing it for the heck of it, they're trying to make a living. The animals on the other hand are losing their home, however they are indiscriminately slaughtering humans and (at least the boars) are pretty fanatical about it. They are intentionally not portrayed as the poor innnocent victims. Neither humans nor animals are completely in the right. The movie is about co-existence and finding a balance between nature and industrial progress.

Thank you for actually answering the question. I partially agree that 2 hours is a bit short to establish a romance. But it was that when they tried to put in romantic elements, they did it poorly. They tried to imply that a completely platonic relationship was something more than that. Which it wasnt. That failed attempt at romance just looked bad.

Even though the movie hit its climax, I dont find that to be a valid excuse not to have a conclusive ending. Just because a movie has completed its theme doesnt mean it can just scrap and do whatever with the last 20 minutes.

I understand where you are coming from in the 3rd paragraph. But the realization was so forced. How did the movie make its point about Co-existence? Niether side came to an agreement. The emperor presumably still wants the head and will try again to destroy the forest tomorrow and the next day and the next day. Eoboushi somehow magically doesnt want the iron under the forrest anymore? Why? Because the author forced her character to have that change of heart. The whole Eoboushi change of heart is absolute BS. San didnt change, she still hates humans, and Ashitaka seems to not really give a damn about much of anything. Unless the movie was trying to prove that Humans and nature CANNOT coexist then it definitely did not make its point. Because at the end of the movie both sides are still against each other. The emperor still wants the forest gone and San still hates humans. Eoboushi is just a non factor to the story that im disregarding because her character change made no sense.

The "balance" you speak of was never found.
Jul 21, 2014 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
Here's a good read that could help you see what you've missed in this film and appreciate more its qualities and depth.
Jul 21, 2014 2:51 AM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved
Jul 21, 2014 3:05 AM

Jun 2009
Oma266 said:

Because this isn't some fairy tale where everything works out in the end. The movie shows the problem and tells us that SOMETHING has to be done about it. But it doesn't tell us WHAT that something has to be because, frankly, Miyazaki probably doesn't have a clue. If he had a definite answer to that question, well shit he shouldn't be making movies but politics instead.

Of course he could just throw something at us going "See guys, it's so easy, just do exactly what fantastical stuff I came up with that totally works in a fictional universe. I bet it's gonna work out in real life too because I'm so clever".

But he doesn't do that. This is where the open ending comes in again. It's not "happily ever after" because that would be an overly optimistic and downright naive ending. It's "from here on out it's hard work and in the end it might not even work out this time. But it's important to continue trying anyway".

Miyazaki addresses a problem that he thinks he should make people aware of, hoping that this could lead to discussion and improvement. However, he isn't quite pretentious enough to pretend to actually know the solution. (although "first of all, stop simply killing and destroying each other" is probably a good first step)
grandy_UiDJul 21, 2014 3:10 AM
Oct 22, 2014 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
Oma266 said:
But it was that when they tried to put in romantic elements, they did it poorly. They tried to imply that a completely platonic relationship was something more than that. Which it wasnt. That failed attempt at romance just looked bad.

Even though the movie hit its climax, I dont find that to be a valid excuse not to have a conclusive ending. Just because a movie has completed its theme doesnt mean it can just scrap and do whatever with the last 20 minutes.

I understand where you are coming from in the 3rd paragraph. But the realization was so forced. How did the movie make its point about Co-existence? Niether side came to an agreement. The emperor presumably still wants the head and will try again to destroy the forest tomorrow and the next day and the next day. Eoboushi somehow magically doesnt want the iron under the forrest anymore? Why? Because the author forced her character to have that change of heart. The whole Eoboushi change of heart is absolute BS. San didnt change, she still hates humans, and Ashitaka seems to not really give a damn about much of anything. Unless the movie was trying to prove that Humans and nature CANNOT coexist then it definitely did not make its point. Because at the end of the movie both sides are still against each other. The emperor still wants the forest gone and San still hates humans. Eoboushi is just a non factor to the story that im disregarding because her character change made no sense.

Not to argue, but I digress on some of those points because I've just finished watching the movie. Firstly, it is evident that San only decided to trust him once the Deer God decided to heal him. It would've come off as cliche if San decided to throw out her lifelong hatred for a guy she barely knows, no matter the extent of her respect and gratefulness towards him. If there was anything odd or forced, it would be how he called her "beautiful" although the one time he saw her beforehand was when her face was smeared with blood, lol.

Secondly, a conclusive ending wouldn't seem right. Someone mentioned it above, but it's not "anti-climatic" just "open-ended". I thought the ending was perfect since it keeps you thinking.

Thirdly, the Deer God is physically gone. It has now simply become "life" and "death" rather than embodying a being. Once the Emperor is informed of this (assuming it's Jiko who delivers the news), he probably won't try to continue obtaining a head that no longer exists. Maybe inflict punishment for the failure, but certainly not pine for a lost cause (as long as he isn't a fool).

I can see that you already understand the duality of the characters, so I won't bother touching upon it. Eboshi has many roles to play - she's a woman who knows when she's beaten and can find other ways to fulfill her ambitions.

The main problem I perceive here is that you came into this expecting it to be a romance, and that notion let you down. To me, "Princess Mononoke" provided spectacular commentary on environmental and political issues, and it's choice of characters and their portrayal is something that you don't see everyday... I wouldn't categorize myself as a Miyazaki "fanatic" per se, but I definitely appreciate the deeper meaning he embeds within his work.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Apr 24, 2015 11:09 AM
Apr 2015
grandy_UiD said:
Apr 26, 2015 10:36 PM

Jul 2013
ReaperCreeper said:

Yes. Spirited Away is considered his best film.
Jul 29, 2015 10:45 AM
May 2015
Looks like oma266 created the profile just to debate here, look at the last seen in his profile :-P
Nov 21, 2015 5:22 PM
Aug 2015
a part from "moviemezzanine's review ": What I appreciated more with my most recent rewatch was the film’s ending, which could’ve easily gone down the formulaic Hollywood romance path, and instead went for the braver, more intelligent option. Roger Ebert summed it up better than I ever could with his review: “There is a remarkable scene where San and Ashitaka, who have fallen in love, agree that neither can really lead the life of the other, and so they must grant each other freedom, and only meet occasionally. You won’t find many Hollywood love stories (animated or otherwise) so philosophical.” Had Princess Mononoke ended with San and Ashitaka together and living with each-other , it would’ve negated its vision of man and nature coexisting in a relationship that is unintrusive and truly supportive of one another. And it’s that kind of thought that makes Princess Mononoke the classic that it is.
May 5, 2017 4:54 PM
May 2017
I may sound cliched, but I would've liked to seen them end up together, simply because I don't usually mind cliches too much. But I kind of agree with the main poster. All they went through together and still no romantic relationship I couldn't buy. I also think it was a missed opportunity for them to put aside their differences and end up together, because I feel like it would've sent a message about acceptance and tolerance, considering they're very different types of people.

Also, I didn't like San's reason for not wanting to be with him. She implies she still hates(?) the humans by saying "I can't forgive the humans for what they've done." I understand why she thinks that considering the damage they caused. But in my opinion, at the same time, it really sends the wrong message. It sends the message that it's okay to be filled with hate, and anger, and not to forgive those who wronged you, despite how hard it can be.
May 5, 2017 5:04 PM
Oct 2012
Oma266 said:
I am a fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies EVER. I just completed Princess Mononoke and I am just left scratching my head. How is this his best film?

It isn't. It was just the first to have mainstream appeal in the US thanks to the Pixar guy, so English based critics tend to rank it the highest since it was the first one they saw - this foreign adulation then filtered back to Japan which boosted its appeal there.

Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Spirted Away, and Laputa would probably be his top five in reality judging on cultural impact.
May 5, 2017 5:32 PM
Oct 2012
Ryan_Blanche said:
I also think it was a missed opportunity for them to put aside their differences and end up together, because I feel like it would've sent a message about acceptance and tolerance, considering they're very different types of people.

Ashitaka, for all intents, is enforcing a death warrant on San's parents. Even if San loved him, one can understand why she would not want to live with him.

Ryan_Blanche said:
it really sends the wrong message. It sends the message that it's okay to be filled with hate, and anger, and not to forgive those who wronged you, despite how hard it can be.

Humanity will continue to wrong her, that is the difference.

The main point of this story is that both San and Ashitaka are isolated from humanity. San because she was raised by nature, Ashitaka because he became ritually unclean. At the end, Ashitaka can return to humanity, and choices to do so, San decides to remain with nature. While there is a truce between nature and man, the truce is fragile, and is completely based on humanity's whim.
May 5, 2017 6:06 PM
May 2017
I see your point, and understand where you're coming from. However, hearing San usher the words "I can't forgive the humans" can still easily be perceived as her unable to find forgiveness.
Ryan_BlancheMay 5, 2017 6:19 PM
Mar 16, 2018 3:47 AM
Oct 2015
I watched most of his movies at least 10 times and I like them all ,to me Mononoke is by far the best :)
May 7, 2018 12:26 PM
Mar 2017
Jesus-desu said:
Oma266 said:

that's hilarious buddy. why is there not a like button.
May 11, 2018 1:06 AM
Sep 2017
I respect your respect for other's opinions, and not just throwing Princess Mononoke under the bus because you had some questionable expectations. I do agree that the romance was not fully realized, but in my eyes, you can feel the passion that they have for eachother throughout the movie and with their actions. I believe that the ending was sort-of bittersweet, which some people may not enjoy. The Emperor had nothing to do with what these people were doing, he only said that he would give gold to anyone who can make him immortal, but since they failed he does not really care. One thing I do not agree on though, is how the people did not come to an agreement. maybe they did not come to some sort-of verbal agreement, but Eboshi realized she didn't want to fuck with nature and turn a new leaf and San (kind of) hated humans less . I hope you can give it another chance, as it is one of my favorite movies I have watched since I was a wee boy. Maybe after, you can revive this thread with your refreshed ideas!

PS - Sorry for reviving this really old thread, I was just wondering what you had to think about the movie now. Thanks!
Oct 13, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
I had very high expectations for this movie and I planned to watch it together with my friends but I'm glad I didn't.
While having a good animation and music, it fails so hard at other aspects especially characters. It shouldn't have made it that high in ranking but whatever I wish I could enjoy these shows as much as others do...
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Dec 18, 2020 9:44 PM
Dec 2020
This film was incredible, everything there was amazing, but for this very reason, the emd really pisses me off. I'm not saying that it was wrong or had to be different, no, the end was just right, correct, but at the same time it seemed so rushed and unnatural, they could at least have showed some more emotion on the characters at the end.
Jul 31, 2021 6:18 AM

Apr 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Oma266 said:
I am a fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies EVER. I just completed Princess Mononoke and I am just left scratching my head. How is this his best film?

It isn't. It was just the first to have mainstream appeal in the US thanks to the Pixar guy, so English based critics tend to rank it the highest since it was the first one they saw - this foreign adulation then filtered back to Japan which boosted its appeal there.

Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Spirted Away, and Laputa would probably be his top five in reality judging on cultural impact.

Lolwut? Princess Monoke broke records in Japan long before it was released in the West.

Miyazaki didn't make Grave of the Fireflies, Takahata did.
IKKIsamaJul 31, 2021 6:22 AM
Sep 19, 2021 12:34 PM
Jul 2021
Oma266 said:
I am a fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies EVER. I just completed Princess Mononoke and I am just left scratching my head. How is this his best film? It wasn't bad by any stretch. But I don't see how it even is in the same conversation as Spirited Away.

My issues with the film

1. Eboushi just magically changes her mind at the end? After having her arm bit off and village destroyed, she now had NO NEED for the tons of iron under the forest? What would be the logic for this change of heart?

2. The Emperors wrath was never imposed in the film, making you question why they even really wanted the head that badly in the first place. It seems like it was just a plot device so they could behead the Forrest Spirit and teach everyone the lesson that nature is cool.

3. I came into this film thinking it was mainly a ROMANCE. Either I was wrong or the Romance was extremely half baked. For one, they didn't know each other nearly long enough to fall in love. Besides her reluctantly saving him, I don't see how they had a romantic interest in each other. She actually was about to KILL HIM before the Apes were about to eat him. Then she decided to save his life instead? What? Her change of heart was unexplained as was her reasoning for falling in love with him. The same goes for Ashitaka falling in live with her. She was just a damsel in distress.........so you fell in love with her how? Their love was NEVER explained, the movie just kinda made it up and expected you to believe it. There was zero evidence of actual romance. They seemed more like partners, not lovers.

4. The ending was so anti-climactic. So this girl that he is "in love with" decides he isn't important enough for her to invite him to live with her in the Forrest. He also doesn't care enough about the girl that "he loves" to follow her or protest her decision. He'd rather go help the townspeople he met last week?!? LOL OK. After all they went though they just decide to part ways & visit each other every now and then? Aren't they supposed to be in LOVE? WTF is up with the ending?

5. The story while very good, I dont think it made you feel as emotional as it should have. I never felt BAD for the forest potentially being destroyed. San wasn't an extremely lovable character and neither was her clan (PS. Since when is a CLAN 4 MEMBERS?). San & her clan acted very abrasive for most of the movie, the Boar clan were as*holes. Like during no point of this movie was I sad that those characters might be losing their home. The emotional connection between the viewer and the forest was never made.

I am in no way trying to say this is a bad movie. This is still a very good movie. The story was good, the duality of the characters was amazing but the half-baked Romance and the anticlimactic ending just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't see what makes this movie the greatest thing ever made like many people claim it is.
I couldn't agree more... I really dont get the hype and I've heard people say that it's one of the little movies with such deep meaning and stuff (even though I believe that other ghibli movies achieved that in a much better way) but I think the plot was driven by that wanted message instead of the message deriving from the story, which makes the plot kinda boring and expected. Overall disappointing tbh..
Jul 23, 2022 8:41 AM
May 2022

I couldn't agree more... I really dont get the hype and I've heard people say that it's one of the little movies with such deep meaning and stuff (even though I believe that other ghibli movies achieved that in a much better way) but I think the plot was driven by that wanted message instead of the message deriving from the story, which makes the plot kinda boring and expected. Overall disappointing tbh..

Your Right. I watched When Marnie Was There before this movie... Waaaaaay better at giving deep messages. This one was almost about humans destroying the environment but wasn't.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Hime Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Metty - Feb 4, 2008

209 by Kilo_2K4 »»
Mar 31, 8:11 PM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

39 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:59 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

75 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.