Forum Settings
Forums

Why does America military supremacy gets ignored in war anime?

New
Jul 18, 2014 9:19 PM

May 2008
This question got asked in another forum but why is it that in modern war anime America's military supremacy gets ignored?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 18, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2013
Does in those anime saying that the country is Japan ?
Jul 18, 2014 9:26 PM

Jul 2012
A lot of media seems to concentrate on those one world orders or alliance of different nations type stuff I think.
Jul 18, 2014 9:27 PM

May 2008
Well not all of them, at least FMP acknowledges America's supreamcy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2014 9:28 PM
Aug 2012
It didn't get ignored in MLA.
Jul 18, 2014 9:29 PM

Mar 2013
Wasn't ignored in Code Geass, if you accept that Brittania contains the US.
Jul 18, 2014 9:32 PM

Nov 2012
Because Japan invents giant robots piloted by angsty teenagers and then it's GG for us.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 19, 2014 12:44 AM

May 2014
Cuz Japan would still like to think it could A) Have a good military; B) this military could beat the US military; and C) this Japanese military would not be evil.

It's not even close to reality, but after WW2 there were really only two options as far as this kind of wishful thinking goes: submission to the facts, or denial. Japan chose denial because unlike the Germans they have not yet admitted that "Yeah, we kinda deserved to get the shit beat out of us."
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 19, 2014 1:15 AM

Aug 2011
Because not everything is about America.
Jul 19, 2014 1:16 AM

Dec 2013
Not everything is American propaganda
Jul 19, 2014 1:23 AM

Dec 2011
If a series is set in the past, then the US did not have military supremacy.
If a series is set in the future, it is perfectly viable to present a world in which the US does not have military supremacy.
If a series is set in an alternative universe setting, then having the US not having military supremacy is perfectly viable.

I really don't see many series that don't fall into at least one of those three categories.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 19, 2014 1:40 AM

Apr 2011
I don't know, why do the aliens in American movies only invade America?
Jul 19, 2014 1:41 AM

Apr 2012
Because it is a work of fiction. DEAL WITH IT.

Relevant to your interests: Read or Die the anime is pretty blunt with its insults of the US military/president. You see the US president pee himself in multiple scenes.

Jul 19, 2014 2:14 AM

May 2014
mitch3315 said:
Because not everything is about America.
Anon1409 said:
Not everything is American propaganda
YES IT IS!

Jul 19, 2014 7:29 AM

Jan 2009
Jul 19, 2014 7:58 AM

Apr 2013
yhunata said:

Because they are filmed in Canada.
Jul 19, 2014 8:33 AM

Sep 2012
yhunata said:

Aliens are known to like shitty fast food.
Jul 19, 2014 8:37 AM

Mar 2013
Aqua_Mars said:
yhunata said:

Aliens are known to like shitty fast food.

But thanks to the magic of globalization, you can get shitty american fast food anywhere.

Except Japan.

Sort of.
Jul 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Apr 2009
Because anime is Japan's dream of being relevant.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 19, 2014 8:49 AM

Dec 2012
Wait what's the question here? Is the OP asking why there aren't more anime that are going out of there way to make a political comment about the supremacy of the U.S or are there actual examples anyone can think of anime that heavily focus on a modern war setting that explicitly downplay the power and influence of the U.S military?
Jul 19, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
YEAH AMERICA IS THE BEST WOOOO STARS AND STRIPES
an egomaniac and a fool

Jul 19, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2011
'Murica have more force than Japan, 'Murica should be the strongest in any medium, all hail 'Murica
Jul 19, 2014 9:41 AM

Feb 2010
Usually the mechas > military supremacy. Or are you talking about non-mecha war anime? Silly you, as if they existed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 19, 2014 9:43 AM

Aug 2013
It's natural that the directors wanted to make their own country looks better in their own show. Just like America's war movies showing them kicking Russian's ass. Why would you want to bow to America's supremacy when you have a ten-feet-tall-teenage-pilot robot who can easily wipe the whole America.
When people asked 'why are you so quiet?',
just answer 'why are you not?'
Jul 19, 2014 11:44 AM

Jun 2007
What supremacy? Has the U.S. definitively "won" a war in the past 70 years? (And even that win came with the support of very powerful allies.) Vastly outspending and outgunning technologically inferior opponents and seeing practically nothing but defeats and stalemated quagmires is not what I'd call supremacy.
Jul 19, 2014 11:55 AM

Mar 2008
Zalis said:
What supremacy? Has the U.S. definitively "won" a war in the past 70 years? (And even that win came with the support of very powerful allies.) Vastly outspending and outgunning technologically inferior opponents and seeing practically nothing but defeats and stalemated quagmires is not what I'd call supremacy.
To be fair, an assumption of supremacy in "conventional warfare" would be reasonable, or at least a supremacy on paper if you're somewhat sceptical.

It seems that it's been accepted (once again) that asymmetric warfare isn't viably "winnable" on a purely military front, so we might say the poor track record has more to do with political inadequacies than a deficiency in the star & sprangled military.
Jul 19, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2009
Zalis said:

that's not what you'd call military supremacy because that's not what military supremacy is
Jul 19, 2014 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
Nowadays military supremacy is more of projection/threat of power rather than winning wars.

Jul 19, 2014 12:50 PM

Feb 2010
Guernsey said:
This question got asked in another forum but why is it that in modern war anime America's military supremacy gets ignored?
nothing to do with the topic i like your singature and avatar :)
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 19, 2014 1:25 PM

Aug 2009
Guernsey said:

Because the target audience of anime are Japanese.
Jul 19, 2014 1:35 PM

Mar 2013
Zeally said:
Nowadays military supremacy is more of projection/threat of power rather than winning wars.

Only when dealing with actual governments. Insurgents don't give a shit.

Zalis said:
What supremacy? Has the U.S. definitively "won" a war in the past 70 years? (And even that win came with the support of very powerful allies.)

Desert Storm, The invasion of Iraq (at least when they were directly fighting the Iraqi military), Operation Just Cause and the invasion of Grenada.

If you want to say that supremacy is based purely on how many wars were definitively won without support, then Israel has the world's best military.
Jul 19, 2014 1:48 PM

Nov 2013
fst said:
Zeally said:

Zalis said:
What supremacy? Has the U.S. definitively "won" a war in the past 70 years? (And even that win came with the support of very powerful allies.)

Desert Storm, The invasion of Iraq (at least when they were directly fighting the Iraqi military), Operation Just Cause and the invasion of Grenada.

If you want to say that supremacy is based purely on how many wars were definitively won without support, then Israel has the world's best military.
Israel receives millions of funds by the American government every year.
Jul 19, 2014 1:51 PM

Mar 2013
My mistake, I meant to say "direct support"

Virtually everybody receives some form of support from the 5 permanent security council members, because they also happen to be the world's 5 largest arms exporters.

Actually, it occurs to me that one aspect of military supremacy is the ability to win proxy wars.
Jul 19, 2014 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
Guernsey said:

The bigger question here is: "Modern war anime is a thing?"
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 19, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:
Zalis said:
To be fair, an assumption of supremacy in "conventional warfare" would be reasonable, or at least a supremacy on paper if you're somewhat sceptical.

It seems that it's been accepted (once again) that asymmetric warfare isn't viably "winnable" on a purely military front, so we might say the poor track record has more to do with political inadequacies than a deficiency in the star & sprangled military.
This. America hasn't been involved in a "real", "stand up" war since... Desert Shield/Desert Storm I believe. Or I guess you could argue the first couple years of the Iraq war, when Iraq was a real nation under Saddam.

It's largely been asymetrical warfare against guerrilla fighters. Philippines, Iraq, Afghanistan. Heck, even Vietnam and Korea were largely guerrilla warfare. In situations like these, you have to have superior numbers, training, and technology just to be on par with the guerrilla forces. Which is why third class fighting forces or forces with small numbers resort to asymmetrical warfare in the first place.

Also why America will never be dominated by a land invasion. Too many veterans and citizens with firearms. Guerrilla warfare would drag on infinitum even if China or Russia had the guts to try a land invasion here. Hell, a good percentage of my peers are veterans. You can't throw a stone without hitting a veteran these days.
Jul 19, 2014 2:19 PM

Sep 2013
LAOG said:
fst said:

Israel receives millions of funds by the American government every year.

*billions
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jul 19, 2014 6:43 PM

May 2014
Zalis said:
Korea: victory.
Vietnam: Military victory, political (aka the part that actually matters) loss
All those Central/South American interventions: Victories, even if you don't like what they were doing there
Gulf War: ROFLMAO Curb-stomp victory
- Anonymous
Jul 19, 2014 6:47 PM

Jun 2014
Because US army is too OP
Jul 19, 2014 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
TheFilthyCasual said:

Fighting for 3 years and ending up almost exactly where you started with half of Korea controlled by communists is a victory for the 'States?
Jul 19, 2014 8:23 PM

May 2014
fst said:
TheFilthyCasual said:

Fighting for 3 years and ending up almost exactly where you started with half of Korea controlled by communists is a victory for the 'States?
They saved South Korea. That was the goal from the beginning. Need I remind you that North Korea started it, and them almost being conquered (saved only by the intervention of hordes of Chinese) was a consequence of the counterattack in response. The US then fought for 3 years to keep the Chinese from accomplishing what the North Koreans could not, and that is exactly what happened.
- Anonymous
Jul 19, 2014 8:48 PM

Apr 2013
I actually felt like Code Geass not only recognized US military superiority, but actually poked fun at US worldwide military policy. You know, Team America World Police and all.

Considering in the show that Brittania was a futuristic version of the US who had gone on to control other regions through conquest and praised the idea of individualism, survival of the fittest, and strength through competition which are generally pretty highly valued in American culture.
AwakezzzJul 19, 2014 8:52 PM
Jul 19, 2014 8:49 PM

Aug 2011
Anime is Japanese.
Jul 20, 2014 3:34 AM

May 2008
Awakezzz said:
I actually felt like Code Geass not only recognized US military superiority, but actually poked fun at US worldwide military policy. You know, Team America World Police and all.

Considering in the show that Brittania was a futuristic version of the US who had gone on to control other regions through conquest and praised the idea of individualism, survival of the fittest, and strength through competition which are generally pretty highly valued in American culture.

Was Code Geass satirizing the U.S.? Maybe we might be overthinking it.
Jul 20, 2014 3:39 AM

May 2014
Adair said:
Anime is Japanese.

Japan is on the same planet as the U.S.

Therefore they must acknowledge our existence as a military overlord.

#simple
Jul 20, 2014 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
kuuderes_shadow said:
If a series is set in the future, it is perfectly viable to present a world in which the US does not have military supremacy.
If a series is set in an alternative universe setting, then having the US not having military supremacy is perfectly viable.

I really don't see many series that don't fall into at least one of those three categories.
Jul 20, 2014 8:40 AM

Mar 2013
Well, America is almost always on the second place in power in war anime series around, right after Japan. Anime releases are Japan products after all, and they naturally want to show themselves as the best on every focus.
Jul 24, 2014 7:09 PM

Sep 2013
Guernsey said:

It doesn't get ignored in black lagoon.
Jul 24, 2014 7:10 PM

Mar 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Because anime is Japan's dream of being relevant.

This made me lol

MoeSavage said:
Japan is on the same planet as the U.S.

Sometimes I don't know if that's true
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 24, 2014 8:03 PM

Feb 2014
Japanese people aren't too fond of Americans, I mean look at the amount of stuff that Europe gets, than look at us. Not acknowledging us is only the tip of the iceberg. Well I don't blame them considering how racist this country is to Asian people and how much fun we make of Japan, it wouldn't make sense for them not to have a grudge on us.

Jul 24, 2014 8:42 PM

Mar 2012
Superpieguy said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

It depends when in the past are you referring to. Since the start of the 20th century growing from the tour of the Great White Fleet to the advent of WWII, America had a military sizeable with that of the continental Great Powers.
From WWII onwards to now, America has, though albeit not always total, military supremacy.
OrvietoJul 24, 2014 9:00 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 33 minutes ago

8 by iThink »»
2 seconds ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 8 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.