Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Jan 2010
I recently have been on a fantasy/supernatural marathon and am craving for more. Started off with Seirei no Moribito, then 12 Kingdoms, then Shiki and now watching "Erin" and loving every moment of it. Before I finish it up, I would love to have another one lined up. I mostly enjoy the creativity in new worlds introduced by those anime.

I dislike romance if it is the primary/significant element in the series, so please no romance anime.
Jul 17, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2014
These are good ones to check out!

Shakugan no Shana
//This anime has some romance, but it's not an insane amount//

No Game No Life
-Has some Echii
Jul 18, 2014 2:42 AM

Jan 2009
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind : Miyazaki masterpiece from just before the creation of Studio Ghibli
Mononoke : the series of 2007, unique Artwork and meaningful stories
Berserk : the series from 1997, a must
Slayers : Adventure, Comdey, magic with an actual plot. Here and here
Claymore : pure action
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku : psychological, dystopia
Broken Blade : mecha
Jul 18, 2014 4:15 AM

Feb 2012
Seconding Mononoke and Berserk.
Adding Fate/Zero (see you've seen Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero is a looot better, trust me)
Kyoukai no Kanata (fits the genre, although I didn't like it, it's generally recieved pretty well)
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jul 22, 2014 12:17 PM

Jan 2010
Thanks people. I have actually watched both Mononoke and Berserk and loved them both. I will begin with Fate/Zero. I keep forgetting about its existence.

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku is on my PTW list, I have not began it as it is only 12 episodes long which is pretty small for a serious drama.

I was thinking of watching Galaxy Express 999 as it seems to have a world (or universe) of marvel and some moral dilemmas.

Watched NGNL, was okay. I don't think I will watch Shakugan no Shana though. The poster itself tells me there will be some fanservice in it. A little girl holding a sword, I'm in my late 20s and don't enjoy that sort of shit anymore :(

I am also thinking about Kino's journeys. Please throw me more recommendations. I may not watch them right away, but I wont have to ask like this again once I am done with what has been suggested here.
Jul 22, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2009
+1 Kino's journeys

- Less popular/accessible than the ones I mentioned before but quite as good or better :
Kaiba
First movies of Mamoru Oshii : Tenshi no Tamago and Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Horus: Prince of the Sun > Pioneering movie of the Japanese Animation. Isao Takahata as director and Hayao Miyazaki as one of his animators.
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Kaze no Tairiku
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

- 6-7/10 for me in the genre
Five Star Stories
Silent Mobius Movies
Arslan Senki
Kaze no nawa amnesia
Jul 22, 2014 7:39 PM

May 2012
You listed the shows I would have suggested in the "epic fantasy" category, but here's some related ideas.

Shin Sekai Yori is putatively a sci-fi story, but it has much in common with fantasy epics.

Ghost Hound involves the supernatural, brain science and psychiatry. The mix doesn't always gel, but it's certainly an interesting show from Shirow Masamune of GitS fame.

If you are open to watching a show that is aimed more at children, I'd recommend Majou Shoujotai Arusu, or "Tweeny Witches" in its English release. A young girl named Alice loves magic and sees it as a force for good. One day she falls off a roof and wakes up in a world where magic exists, but it doesn't meet her naive expectations. Some lovely illustration from Studio 4C and a plot that adults can enjoy.

Log Horizon is strong on world-building and has the usual trappings of fantasy RPGs with swords and magic.
Jul 23, 2014 7:25 AM

Jan 2010
Kaiba looks really interesting.

Watched a couple of episodes of Shinsekai Yori in the past and liked it, but yeah, it belongs to somewhat a different genre I guess. I will pick it up again as it seems to come the closest. Ghost Hound is different as well, but appears interesting.

I've seen Log Horizon. It is a fantasy, but was meh. It was too simplistic and is probably aimed at preteens. They try to fit in some nonsensical politics which are nowhere close in depth to those in 12 Kingdoms or Erin.
Jul 23, 2014 7:37 AM

Apr 2014
-Akame ga Kill!
-Attack on Titan
-Claymore
-Hellsing
-Blood+
-Aldnoah Zero
-
Jul 23, 2014 7:55 AM

Jan 2010
Added Akame ga Kill. Watched everything else but the Mecha, a genre I am not that interested in (I rated Gurrenn Lagann a 6).

More topics from this board

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
30 minutes ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 44 minutes ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
44 minutes ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

3 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
55 minutes ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
1 hour ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
Today, 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.