Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese war criminal supposedly murdered nearly 1000 people and worse according to China

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 20, 2014 6:59 PM

Dec 2007
Sweet_Love said:
It's not supposed to be about the political benefits, and even if it was, aggravating their neighbours by visiting a shrine that specifically houses war criminals definitely contradicts that. Just because you're not likely to be able get friendly with someone right away doesn't mean that you should go ahead and piss them off more. Same goes for their statements and attitudes which basically shrug off all responsibilty for their actions.

By the way, for people who are not clarified about this, the Yasukuni shrine is such a hotbed of controversy because it was a shrine that houses specifically war criminals, and those whose corpses were smuggled at that. Japan actually has a different place to honour their war dead, but like screw that boring old shit.

Also, the Japanese government's attitude towards these issues are nothing new or suddenly decided upon after they got rejected by the Chinese or whatever; in fact, it's been so ever since the end of the GHQ Shogunate. Just look at their curriculum for crying out loud, both old and new. Ask a random Japanese citizen about these issues, and they either don't give or know a fuck about them, or they'll be up and denying all blame. Like gee, I wonder how their society ended up this way if their government actually ever was repentent for their actions?

The notion that the shrine is specifically for war criminals is such a monumental lie that I can only assume it comes straight from Chinese propaganda. It was founded in the immediate aftermath of the Meiji Revolution, and had been in operation for over a quarter century before Japan fought its first war against the mainland in over 300 years. The notion of war crimes had not even made it to the Japanese at that point. It contains almost 2.5 million names, spanning the Meiji Revolution to the end of WWII, though most are from WWII and the Second Sino-Japanese War, which is often considered part of it. Of these nearly 2.5 million, only 1068 are identified and convicted war criminals, and even some of those are known scapegoats that in fact did nothing wrong (most notably Iwane Matsui).
While there are other shrines to war dead, the Yasukuni Shrine is the most comprehensive.

Admittedly, the Japanese have been playing games regarding the Shrine since it was decided to honor the war criminals there (they claimed religious institution that forbade the government from doing anything), but how much do you want to bet there aren't a few hundred war criminals in Arlington National Cemetery?
Jul 20, 2014 10:33 PM

Mar 2013
Like please, read the entire paragraph before you reply. At any case, allow me to rephrase that for the sake of your understanding: there's an actual cemetary for the war dead, but it's neglected in favour of Yasukuni... because the difference is that it houses war criminals and the former does not. Plain and simple. For that one specific reason.

It's not as if Yasukuni doesn't have enough controversies without it already. It's been considered a symbol of Japanese imperialism from the very beginning and only narrowly avoided demolishment during the GHQ shogunate. Why? Because Yasukuni was one big propaganda piece that basically treated people buried there as heroes, and lured others that they too could become heroes by dying and being buried there if they were patriotic enough. Standard fascist crap.

And with this glorifying of the dead buried there, the shrine implies that the war criminals buried there too are heroes. In fact, the reason that they are there at all is because the Japanese government intervened and put them there (independent religious institution my ass), for that very specific reason.

AKA visiting Yasukuni is effectively the Japanese way of visiting Hitler's grave (pretending that one exists) and saying that he's awesome. And while there is a way to honour the dead without implying that statement, the Japanese government gives no fuck about that.

Yes, it has a history before and apart from that, but you know what, the people who go there, and the people criticising it- both of us don't give a fucking crap. That's not what the issue is all about and everyone knows it.
Sweet_LoveJul 20, 2014 10:39 PM
Jul 20, 2014 11:11 PM

Mar 2013
nucleon said:
Their actions of peace has shown to the rest of the world after the war. More people from the world like Japanese than Chinese to be honest. Those gestures only hurt Chinese and Koreans, maybe a subset of them. Hitler and the so-called war criminals in the SJ war are very different in nature. China had been holding high nose all along also. Both sides are picking a fight, from my view China had been more aggressive. Whenever they like to provoke something, the Japanese will do a bit of shrine visiting to answer them. What's the big deal. It's just shrine visiting.

You see, that attitude is exactly the problem. Saying that they are "different in nature". That "it's no big deal". It's so much easier to just put aside and forget one's sins and problems than actually have to face them, isn't it? It's even better when you can try to victimise yourself and point the finger at the even bigger bad guy too! Like the evil American occupiers, right? I mean, Japan is clearly also a victim here, deeerp.

And this is why Japan needs a wake-up call, and a big reason why they haven't been getting along with their neighbours at all. I mean, continuing that Nazi reference, even just a comparison betweenwhere Germany is right now in Europe, and Japan in Asia makes for a stark difference, for reasons that I fucking wonder why.

Or at least, I suppose you could start explaining just how so much better the Japanese war criminals are in comparison to Hitler, for starters.
Jul 21, 2014 1:10 AM

Dec 2011
Sweet_Love said:

And this is why Japan needs a wake-up call, and a big reason why they haven't been getting along with their neighbours at all. I mean, continuing that Nazi reference, even just a comparison betweenwhere Germany is right now in Europe, and Japan in Asia makes for a stark difference, for reasons that I fucking wonder why.

The main reason is because after the war large swathes of Europe pushed for integration and cooperation between the countries, with the formation of NATO and the EEC in the west and the Warsaw Pact and Eastern Bloc in the East. No matter what your opinion of these various bodies, they helped push the countries together, and thus helped restore Germany's (or rather, East and West Germany's) position with their neighbours.

In the East, on the other hand, far from forging closer integration, you had countries shutting themselves off from one another and becoming insulated from the world. That is the main reason for the differences in the situation. Well, that and propoganda.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 21, 2014 1:14 AM

Mar 2013
Oh no this guy killed 1000 chinese.

Who cares they've got 3 billion more where that came from, they could use a little more pop. control.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 21, 2014 1:00 PM

Aug 2007
Sweet_Love said:
Ask a random Japanese citizen about these issues, and they either don't give or know a fuck about them, or they'll be up and denying all blame. Like gee, I wonder how their society ended up this way if their government actually ever was repentent for their actions?

I'll assume the number of Japanese citizens you asked amounts to zero.
Jul 22, 2014 1:53 AM

May 2014
I have my doubts tbh
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.