Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2014 8:00 AM

Mar 2008
Let's discuss your perspective to this manga. I was wondering what does everyone think / have in mind of what the back story is really about behind the characters, especially of Soo-Woon, which we don't really have any info about just yet; who is also the main target (as of now) of the whole manga. Also, how would you like it to end, with which pairing (if any), and what about that prophecy?

===SPOILERS AHEAD===

Does anyone else think of that prophecy made about the four dragons and a shield/sword that Yoona will be wielding? I would very much like to think that the shield is Hak and her sword is SooWoon or vice versa.

As well as I would really like to see SooWoon as not the evil one. Although he was the mastermind of killing the King (it doesn't seem like anyone cast a spell on him), at least make it so that he did it for a really good purpose, or someone else is actually behind the whole plot, who manipulated him, however I think it would make the whole manga complicated, and would thread on too long.

I don't really see the chemistry between Hak & Yoona. I really adore Hak, but I feel like there's more of a brotherly-sisterly love between them since Hak is always on the look out for Yoona and was even hoping for Yoona & SooWoon to be together. It would be nice if the mangaka shows a twist of Hak (which I think will be soon) where Hak would treat Yoona as a woman. Personally though, I'm still hoping for Yoona & SooWoon somehow.

What do you readers think?
ZeathaNov 10, 2014 2:06 PM
Nov 15, 2014 11:56 PM
Nov 2009
From what I've seen from the anime, I think the shield and sword are actual objects or that just might be something to distract us from the awful truth ;_;

I do really think that the back story of Soowon is really fishy. I do think he was manipulated if not by his father, by someone else, maybe his now right hand guy. I mean, I really can't believe that Yona's father was a murderer. It just doesn't add up. Maybe it was Yuhon (Yona's uncle) that plotted against the King and assassinated the queen to send some kind of message or something. There must be a reason why Yona as a child was scared of her uncle. Children have some kind of an intuition adults don't.

And I do disagree there with the chemistry. The brother-sister relationship is actually between Yona and Soowon as he himself established it. Moreover, due to the grudge she has for what he did, I really doubt she can ever love him the way she did in the beginning. Hak, on the other hand, was in love with Yona since he was a kid but didn't want to admit it because he knew she loved someone else and was convinced that Yona and Soowon would end up together, yet it never happened as he imagined. Since Hak is traveling with Yona, he frequently has approached her flirty and impulsively but disguising those acts as "pranks" to not let her realize. And has that worked well since she doesn't see it lol. Another proof is also the multiple times Jaeha has "threatened" to spill the beans about Hak's feelings to Yona and Hak being seriously worried and trying to avoid Jaeha's indiscretion no matter what.

If you are up to date with the manga and have read chapter 96, you can see that
vane553Nov 16, 2014 12:04 AM
Nov 16, 2014 8:48 AM

Mar 2008
vane553 said:
From what I've seen from the anime, I think the shield and sword are actual objects or that just might be something to distract us from the awful truth ;_;

What awful truth? But in the manga it seemed like the prophecy was indicating someone because when they (was it the priest) mentioned it
And they said one of it (sword or shield) wasn't there. That's why it's bothering me.

vane553 said:

I have read that. I don't mind Hak either. I'm trying to see him with Yona now. I was set with Soo-Woon because I'm into 'first loves', that's why I just kept denying Hak. But in all honesty, I also liked Hak all along, I guess I was just in denial you could say. I personally like JaeHa too with her tho ;w;
Nov 20, 2014 3:57 PM

Jun 2014
While I'm more of a fan of the story itself than the romance, I'd be happy with a HakxYona ending. Soo-won gave up his chances for romance with Yona.

When I first started the manga, I thought that Yoon would be the shield and Hak would be the sword, but now I'm thinking that Hak is the shield and Soo-won is the sword. It makes sense to me since Hak has repeatedly been shown in positions where he really acts as Yona's shield, and I believe he's even stated it before. Soo-won seems more like a sword because of his position in power and the way he makes things happen.

Of course, it's possible that the sword and shield are physical things. I just assume they're people since the dragons are people and all.

I don't really see Soo-won as being evil anyway since he seems to be genuinely trying to help Kouka. He's used some underhanded methods, but it's politics so that kind of thing is nothing new. I wouldn't really call him the best friend out there, but I think he tried his best to protect Hak and Yona under the circumstances. In the beginning I got more of the impression that Soo-won was just trying to attack them for appearance's sake, but that could just be my own headcanon. Not that I think Soo-won is that great of a guy, but more that I just like how his character is set up.

I'm also pretty curious to see if or how the discovery of the dragons may affect Kouka. The fire tribe really revere the dragons, especially Hiryuu. Right now Soo-won has been focused on getting the tribes to align with him, but the existence of Hiryuu may undermine his authority with the tribes, or at the very least, the fire tribe. It seems that the other tribes may hold some respect for Hiryuu, but I don't know for sure if it's to quite the same level. I'm curious to see how the tribes and Soo-won will respond to Yona and her merry men, and if it will cause Soo-won to try and work together with Yona or if she's considered an obstacle. Assuming, of course, that Soo-won doesn't yet know about Yona and her merry men's exploits.

Also I'm thinking that we may soon see who or what the sword and shield are.
Feb 6, 2015 12:53 AM
Nov 2009
Zeatha said:
vane553 said:

What awful truth?

The awful truth I was referring to is that probably the sword and shield are actual people. The first opening of the anime with Zeno holding that huge shield suggested to me that they are objects. However that might be a tactic to distract us from the fact that the sword and shield could be actual people.

Zeatha said:
But in the manga it seemed like the prophecy was indicating someone because when they (was it the priest) mentioned it
And they said one of it (sword or shield) wasn't there. That's why it's bothering me.

I just read chapter 43 all over and I don't see what you are talking about. Perhaps you can tell me the chapter where you are taking this?

dream_eater1012 said:
While I'm more of a fan of the story itself than the romance, I'd be happy with a HakxYona ending.

I saw myself liking the story a lot more than my seek for romance, and that is why I love Akatsuki no Yona. There is so much more to it than just the main couple getting together. I'm still a hardcore HakuYona shipper though.

dream_eater1012 said:
When I first started the manga, I thought that Yoon would be the shield and Hak would be the sword, but now I'm thinking that Hak is the shield and Soo-won is the sword.
Of course, it's possible that the sword and shield are physical things. I just assume they're people since the dragons are people and all.

I agree with what you said about the sword and the shield. And of course, they could also be physical things. What I hope is my being blown away by the revelation. I don't want it to be predictable.

dream_eater1012 said:

I don't really see Soo-won as being evil anyway since he seems to be genuinely trying to help Kouka.

I don't see Suwon as evil either. He did what he thought was the right move for the greater good.

dream_eater1012 said:

I'm also pretty curious to see if or how the discovery of the dragons may affect Kouka.

Your last point is the most interesting part of your post. It's something that I vaguely explored in my mind but never gave more thought. I am curious of how the kingdom's learning that the dragons' ancient tale is nothing but fact will turn out for both Suwon and Yona. Will they join forces? Probably. I feel that there is going to be a lot of suffering in their future. And I don't know why, but I think that either Hak or Suwon is going to die, probably to develop way more Yona's character.
vane553Feb 6, 2015 1:20 AM
Mar 27, 2015 11:50 AM
Sep 2014
I'm also pretty curious to see if or how the discovery of the dragons may affect Kouka. [/quote]
Your last point is the most interesting part of your post. It's something that I vaguely explored in my mind but never gave more thought. I am curious of how the kingdom's learning that the dragons' ancient tale is nothing but fact will turn out for both Suwon and Yona. Will they join forces? Probably. I feel that there is going to be a lot of suffering in their future. And I don't know why, but I think that either Hak or Suwon is going to die, probably to develop way more Yona's character.[/quote]
o.O I don't agree with your statement that killing of King Il was justified just because SOo Won thought that it was the right thing to do. First of all killing someone is the wrong thing to do (unless it is done in self defense or due to force majeure). Just because Soowon thinks it's right doesn't mean it's ok.
The guy may be doing acts that one perceives a good king ought to do but he's pretty sick for killing off his childhood friend's father.
He grew up with Yona and yet took away her family and kingdom. If he really was that good a saint he wouldn't have done so out of consideration for her and hak. Moreover he could've married Yona or entered the political field and brought about the changes he wanted. (I think that Il didn't want yona and soowon to marry cause of yuhons death but I'm sure that Soo won andYona could've persuaded him). Marrying someone you don't like is meh but it's better than killing off yourr friends father lol. Her only parent.

I'm a hardcore Hak x Yona shipper.
That girl better open her eyes. XD
Mar 27, 2015 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
SaikaEternal said:
o.O I don't agree with your statement that killing of King Il was justified just because SOo Won thought that it was the right thing to do. First of all killing someone is the wrong thing to do (unless it is done in self defense or due to force majeure). Just because Soowon thinks it's right doesn't mean it's ok.
The guy may be doing acts that one perceives a good king ought to do but he's pretty sick for killing off his childhood friend's father.

Well to be fair, things were a bit different back in history. Kusanagi got some of her inspiration from actual history, and brutal dealings over the throne wasn't exactly uncommon.
Jun 12, 2015 10:50 PM
Jun 2015
I think zeno is actually the sheild and hak is the sword.SPOILERS:since i read up that zeno is the original yellow dragon and as he is immortal he wants to protect everyone and the king.hence the most logical thing for the sword is hak, since he fights to protect her.although there is the possibility that hak AND soo-won are both swords. It would make a lot more sense to me .
Jun 15, 2015 10:05 AM
Jun 2015
*May contain spoilers*
While reading the manga I came to the conclusion that Kan Tae-Jun (the second son of the firetribe guy..you know, the one with the grey hair) could be the shield mentioned in the prophecy. In chapter 53 when he hears yonas voice for the first time while being pinned down by jae-ha he states that his "body's blood is boiling" and that his body is yelling at him to look at yona...which kinda reminds me of the other dragons and how their body reacted to yonas presence. He also undergoes a huge development and starts to care for the people of the fire tribe, helping the sick and poor. Because of this Zeno says something pretty interesting to Tae-Jun in chapter 59. He tells him that he will become a huge influence on Kouka...and we all know that zenos words shouldn't be taken lightly xD The last piece of "evidence" I found for my theory is something yona tells tae-jun in chapter 59. She asks him to protect the people of the fire tribe...and how do you protect stuff? with a shield. The shield may not be something to protect yona, but rather a person who protects the people yona wants to be safe. But thats just my opinion :D
SilbernachtJun 18, 2015 1:30 PM
Jul 31, 2015 7:29 AM
Jul 2015
Zeatha said:
vane553 said:

What awful truth? But in the manga it seemed like the prophecy was indicating someone because when they (was it the priest) mentioned it

vane553 said:

I have read that. I don't mind Hak either. I'm trying to see him with Yona now. I was set with Soo-Woon because I'm into 'first loves', that's why I just kept denying Hak. But in all honesty, I also liked Hak all along, I guess I was just in denial you could say. I personally like JaeHa too with her tho ;w;

Hak may just be a tragic character. The author can make Yona fall in love with someone else other than Hak, like fall in love with soo-won again... it's quite possible and i anticipate such plot twist, also knowing Hak, he will let Yona go.

Hak might end up like Mundok, growing old alone and would probably adopt orphans too.
Aug 18, 2015 9:21 AM
Aug 2015
I feel that the shield is Zeno. From the latest update, it definitely seems like Zeno. The sword.... Hak?

I am a huge fan of Hak×Yona. I don't know what to think of See Won but he seems to be a good ruler with a focused mind set of what he wants to do.
He killed the previous King. That's okay. Because if he hadn't, the country would still be in disarray and the tribes will fall out even more.
Jan 15, 2016 8:47 PM
Jun 2014
Hey! I'm pretty new to this anime. I finished the anime and I'm about to start the manga but this question bothers me a lot.

Why did Soo-wo kill King Il? Everything was working out for him. Yona loved him, she was willing to marry him so he would become king. Hak was cool about him being king and serving beside him so it seemed so out of place for him to kill King Il and forcibly take the throne. I understand that he wanted to get revenge but that akso seems out of character for King Il. So can anyone clear this up?
Jan 20, 2016 11:00 AM

Dec 2015
laudableshrimp said:
Hey! I'm pretty new to this anime. I finished the anime and I'm about to start the manga but this question bothers me a lot.

Why did Soo-wo kill King Il? Everything was working out for him. Yona loved him, she was willing to marry him so he would become king. Hak was cool about him being king and serving beside him so it seemed so out of place for him to kill King Il and forcibly take the throne. I understand that he wanted to get revenge but that akso seems out of character for King Il. So can anyone clear this up?

According to Soo-won, they (Kouka) were running out of time. If they had waited for King Il's reign to end, the country would've been in ruins long before then because of its declining strength and economy. King Il, though a nice guy, was not really fit to rule a kingdom as he was TOO NICE. He avoided conflicts by giving away territory and was unable to make the big decisions. Soo-won had to act soon or else the country/kingdom would be doomed.

That and King Il did not approve of Soo-won being Yona's love interest. It might be because of what happened to his brother/Soo-won's father. We still don't know the details even in the manga.
Jan 28, 2016 2:21 PM
Jun 2014
You're awesome! Thanks for clearing it up!
Feb 9, 2016 4:56 PM
Feb 2016
Pretty Sure Hak is doing the work of more than a shield. Seem more like the Sword because if you know the background behind him such as strongest person in the wind tribe, he is the best with different weapons such as archery, sword and ofc his spear. None of those are a characteristic of a shield. He only protects Yona because she is usually helpless basically. Also I believe some made a point that someone may die Hak or SuuWon and I think someone needs to die again for Yona can grow and stop being a child. One of them most likely will die after she is realizes she is in love with them. Also pertaining to SuuWon I think we need to find out more about his past before judging his actions, because we still see him trying to protect yona even in the anime. He also caught a lot of feelings when he first heard that she fell off the cliff.
Apr 6, 2016 7:18 PM
Apr 2016
I believe that Hak and Yona will end up together, seeing as around chapter 98, Yona was starting to realize her own feelings for Hak.

I believe that Zeno is really the first yellow dragon, and always has been, which might explain why he never went through the "initiation". It was also a bit uncanny that Yona could just feel that Zeno was the yellow dragon. Looking back, it was obvious that there was a strong, personal connection, particularly between King Hiryuu and the Yellow Dragon. If you noticed, the yellow dragon from King Hiryuu's time and Zeno from Yona's time look very, very similar, that it's almost impossible to doubt that they are the same person. I think Zeno is the last remaining dragon from King Hiryuu's time. It would most likely explain the amount of wisdom that he holds.

The last thing I've sort of thought is that Zeno may be the sword, and that Yona has to realize something within herself...her conviction to take back her throne, in order to become the sword. In other words, Yona must settle her heart in order to unlock the Crimson Dragon within herself, and ultimately become the sword.
May 13, 2016 10:40 AM
May 2016
vane553 said:

I do really think that the back story of Soowon is really fishy. I do think he was manipulated if not by his father, by someone else, maybe his now right hand guy. I mean, I really can't believe that Yona's father was a murderer. It just doesn't add up. Maybe it was Yuhon (Yona's uncle) that plotted against the King and assassinated the queen to send some kind of message or something. There must be a reason why Yona as a child was scared of her uncle. Children have some kind of an intuition adults don't.

And I do disagree there with the chemistry. The brother-sister relationship is actually between Yona and Soowon as he himself established it. Moreover, due to the grudge she has for what he did, I really doubt she can ever love him the way she did in the beginning. Hak, on the other hand, was in love with Yona since he was a kid but didn't want to admit it because he knew she loved someone else and was convinced that Yona and Soowon would end up together, yet it never happened as he imagined. Since Hak is traveling with Yona, he frequently has approached her flirty and impulsively but disguising those acts as "pranks" to not let her realize. And has that worked well since she doesn't see it lol. Another proof is also the multiple times Jaeha has "threatened" to spill the beans about Hak's feelings to Yona and Hak being seriously worried and trying to avoid Jaeha's indiscretion no matter what.

Agree with you wholeheartedly! I love Hak! He is my favorite Anime character ever! I do love Yona and he together!
Oct 20, 2016 9:25 AM
Oct 2016
Sorry for all the mistake in advance, I never posted before and English is not my first language. I love this manga to death and I feel such a strong need to share for the first time ever XD thanks everyone for your understanding!

I think there's some spoiler but most is my own wild imanginatin!!

1. My theory is that soo won is the dragon king's body and soul (coz Zeno did said the dragon king is only human) and yona process the red dragon's power. Soo won also said he liked her red hair, maybe it reminded him of his hair? When yona dies the power will go back to soo won and the reincarnation is complete. After learning this soo won father don't want anyone finding out nor influence his son, the true king's rule so he chased away the priest who knows the full prophecy. Soo won father wanted to kill yona but her father protected her by killing him. Yona father use to read the legend book to yona when she's young, it's as if he's telling her the stroy of her origin. But later her father banned the legend books (the sky general told king soo won "isn't that the book late king banned?) and stop wars because if there's no war there is never the need to summon the dragons so yona life will not be in danger. Also that's why he don't want yona to marry soo won.

Soo won on his coronation day said he will not need the power of the gods ( dragon) and also said no when Zeno ask if he desires the dragons power. I think soo won knows. Soo won can not sit around and watch the kingdom fail, it's his kingdom (being the reincarnation of dragon king) he loves his people and can no longer watch them suffer. That's why he always say he loves people and on some flash back told Hak that human are interesting or something like that. He killed yona's father maybe because 1) he went to talk to yona father and told him the Fire tribe is going to rebel ( shown in the anime when one of his person told him not to mess around coz there's a reason why he rushed his coranation) and also how disapprove he is of the way rule, making his people suffer etc and he can't stand it being the dragon king whom loved human. 2)He promised yona's father if he become king he will not kill yona and seek the dragons power instead he will make the country strong with the power of the people. He even said that on many occasions. The king have to die and soo won have to kill him because soo won want to burden the pain, the sin and the world himself and without the distraction/emotions such as yona and hak's friendship in the way. That's why when he learn they died he said his left arm and warmth is gone. Now he's truely alone and can finally focus on what's at stake.

2. Only one of them can live to become one fully awaken red dragon king. soo won say he can't die yet he still have something to do. He intended to make the kingdom strong again (coz he know yona can't, giving she was a pampered princess and all and that's why Zeno didn't come to them sooner even though he have always been watching and he even told yona she don't have to live as the pervious dragon king and bare the burden of Ye nation), Soo won keep saying that's his only goal. After he achieve this goal he will die as an atonement for killing yona's father and with his death she will be the fully combined awaken red dragon King. It will be a bitter sweet ending coz even with his death she will always have part of soo won inside her.....and she will become a great king with the protection of hak as her shield and soo won was the sword that cut down all her enemies.

3. You can see on many occasions that indicate that soo won have some kind of connection with the dragons, from the way all the dragons including Zeno the original yellow dragon reacted. How they felt they need to protect him and can't harm him. They didn't react to soo won from their blood because part of the dragon king is human. They reacted to yona coz yona inherited the blood of the red dragon and soo won inherited the body, that's why the way the dragons felt toward soo won is more like a fimilar kind of feeling, like when you met someone you use to know and love and trusted. Coz they dragons even said they feel like they can trust him.

Soo won have so far been saving the country and making it strong again with the least amount of casualties. It's going to be a giant plot twist where the bad guy everyone should be hating will become the ultimate hero. He is the hero in this story. It reminded me like RG Veda from a long time ago.

I feel soo won is the most misunderstood and tragic character in the manga. Everyone keep seeing him as the bad guy by simply holding on to the fact he killed one weak king.... whom no one cared about and some even cheered at his death. If soo won is really that evil of a king I doubt the 5 tribes will listen to his command, he is still young compare to them after all. He is smart and resourceful even at a young age, as we saw in the flash back arch when they went to town. He is loved by everyone that come in contact with him like what the younger Hak and a lot of other said.

The last king and soo won both wanted the same goal of peace and no war to the land. But the last king did not want conflict, maybe to protect his daughter? I mean the water tribe leader said something like this as well in Lily's arch where he said he wished to give her a world with no war or something along that line. But soo won believe the only way to no have any more conflicts and wars is to unit the kingdom ( which yona pointed out ).

Really when we are hating on soo won we only looking in the point of view of a little girl whom lost her father and a boy losing his best childhood friend. But how many people lost their loved one, they father and mother and friends due to the late king's weakness??? Even yona admits it and is somewhat trying to atone for his fathers mistakes when she's traveling, even she whom should be hating soo won for killing her father admits he's a good king!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest this manga is about so so much more.....and it's so lovely in the way that we get to meet so many great characters! The writer does not cheap out on anyone's back story or their character developments which can be a hard job. I love the slow pace, I love the fact I get to meet everyone in depth, laughed and cried with them! So much emotions in this manga! I never ever want it to end, it's like a beautiful dream :)

Sorry for the long post but I really need to get some points out that's weighing on my mind coz I really like soo won and I hate how people hate him without having some thought into it. He is NOT a bad guy! Pls don't disappoint me in the future and turn him into one... coz if u do I'm so done @-@!
Jan 20, 2017 2:59 PM
Jun 2015
Kattyk said:
1. My theory is that soo won is the dragon king's body and soul (coz Zeno did said the dragon king is only human) and yona process the red dragon's power.

I'm sorry, but I think your theory is easily proven wrong. Zeno states, that king Hiryuu was only human and had no powers. Therefore Yona can't possess any powers. She is simply the reincarnation of the dragon king. Soo-Won can also not be the "body and soul" because at the time when Zeno visits the other dragons as children and tells them, that "the light of fire" is born (Ch. 105) he can only mean Yona. Soo-Won and Shin-Ah are both 18 years old and Yona 16 at the time the anime/manga starts and since zeno visits little Shin-Ah, Soo-Won must also already be alive, meaning, that Yona is the light of fire, the reincarnation that was born at that day.
Mar 28, 2017 10:45 PM
Mar 2017
Okay. "Let's get down to business."

I personally ship Hak and Yona. I know that Yona held feelings for Soo-won when she was in the castle, and can't bring herself to kill him whenever they meet, later on in the series.

I think those two - Yona and Soo-won - maintain a very nice family-type bond. Though, later on in the series, around chapter 137, there's a huge surprise that Yona did for all us Hak x Yona fans...

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Yona kissed Hak. I think that Yona sees Hak as a man, and even after the kiss she starts blushing. Meanwhile, I know Hak loved Yona so much with the unrequited love, that he even let Yona love whom she wanted to love to make her happy.

But when Yona kissed Hak, Hak is in complete turmoil. More like, 'happy' turmoil. He's a bit flustered and moving around.

I just want to get my thoughts out there. What's your thought on the kiss, and how do you think Hak and Yona will react when they see each other again.

Ciao.
Jun 29, 2017 5:51 AM

Oct 2014
Watched this anime many time, here are my theories ( a fan's theory :-))

Theory 1 : Soo-won is not real son of Yu-Hon ,he is son of king II. Hak is real son of Yu-Hon. Hak's & Yu-hon's hair color is same and both are physically strong . In order to save hak's life in childhood,he may have been given to mun-dok or may be due to some other reason.thats why king -II was ready for yona & hak marriage (cousins ) than yona & soo-won (real brother & sis).

Theory 2 : Yu-Hon might have killed king-II's wife so when king-II came to know about this then king-II may have killed him in anger.thats why he always felt guilty and strongly rejected use of weapons

me and my imagination ...lol

Oct 26, 2017 10:51 AM

May 2015
I don't care about anything, this much was more than enough

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 185 Discussion

shanimebib - Dec 20, 2019

26 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 256 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Apr 4

7 by TanmaySpamzzz »»
Apr 12, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 175 Discussion

CrookedPanther - May 20, 2019

32 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 152 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lacznosc - Dec 21, 2017

68 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 10, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 91 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

38 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 7, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.