Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 12, 2014 6:39 PM

Aug 2009
Simul watch thread for the anime Kemono no Souja Erin. Me and Corwin are starting this tomorrow and going at the pace of 1 episode per day. Feel free to join in if you want :)

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 2014 8:46 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 1
[spoiler]
I love that opening theme, very unique and interesting, infact almost everything about this first episode was unique and interesting. The artstyle I don't think I've seen anywhere else and the use of the cave drawing-like animation was really cool too. Very unique set-up with the village that raises dragons and the mother seems like an all-around likable character. I have a feeling though that the mom isn't going to stick around forever, there was a lot of tension between her and the other villagers and I can see things getting ugly very quickly. Yeah lots of episode to develop the main char so I'm very interested in where this goes.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 13, 2014 8:11 PM

Feb 2008
Episode 1

Jul 14, 2014 11:28 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 2
[spoiler]
So Erin is already showing her natural knack for the job and intuition with the poisoned water and the fish. Last time as well with the straw. That other beast tamer guy is really screwing up lol, I imagine hes gonna be the first one to turn against Erin's mother when things start getting messy. Also from what I understand Mist people are kinda like the gypsies/roma people of this world. Except they control "black magic" or maybe thats just a myth considering we haven't seen the "other side of things", which hopefully we do see soon.
LoneWolfJul 15, 2014 12:29 AM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 14, 2014 8:08 PM

Feb 2008
Episode 2

Jul 14, 2014 11:37 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
I was happy to see this series is on Crunchyroll. Since it is, I'll definitely join in on the discussion. It has been on my PTW for a while.

Episode 1

Episode 2
Jul 15, 2014 9:57 AM

Aug 2009
I'm glad you joined us Yoshi! The more the merrier.

Ep 3
[spoiler]
I felt so terrible when Lulu's earwebs got cut off, never thought a small dragon creature could be so cute lol. Yeah the grand duke has somewhat of a snobbish persona, but his actions make him seem like likable, like not going crazy about the one touda that went wild. I imagine that they keep their ear holes covered when they go into battle so the enemy army can't use mute whistles on their touda.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 15, 2014 7:51 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 3
Jul 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 4
[spoiler]
So this was a slower episode but still good. We got to learn about Erin's father, how he died and how he met her mother. We also got to see more Mist people aside from Erin and her mom and honestly they seem just like normal people, maybe a little more mysterious like Aboriginals or Gypsies like I mentioned before. Anyway I'm glad the girl was saved. I think the type of wedding is supposed to mimic how things are done (or atleast used to be done) in south eastern countries (India, Nepal etc.). Kinda reminds me of the manga Otoyomegatari.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 17, 2014 6:13 AM

Feb 2008
Episode 3

Episode 4

Jul 17, 2014 7:27 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 5
[spoiler]
So I guess it's tradition to steal Touda eggs instead of just breed them from their existing Touda, which is IMO a little cruel, but atleast Erin agrees too. Those thieves felt kinda out of place with their goofy behaviour and they didn't really end up doing anything lol. I wonder if we're going to see more of them in the future. It seems like Ruru has developed somewhat of a fear of humans now, which makes me kinda sad :(

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 18, 2014 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 6
[spoiler]
I think we all knew this had to be coming at some point >_< I just wish it wasn't so soon... Soyon is just such a great mother and just a kind and well-rounded person person in general. Yeah pretty sad ep, but in a good way. I'm not sure exactly whats going to happen to her, but it looks like shes going to be out of the picture for good whether it be execution, exile etc.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 19, 2014 8:07 AM

Feb 2008
Episode 5

Episode 6

Jul 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Sep 2012
I've seen the show once, but I might join in on the next episode since it's one I'd like to discuss and I'd like to see the show a second time, if that's OK. For this series it wouldn't be too hard to talk about them in context of themselves without spoiling anything.
Jul 20, 2014 1:09 AM

Aug 2009
Anyone is free to join in, just make sure to not spoil anything.

Ep 7
[spoiler]
This is pretty much like rubbing salt in the open wound. God this was hard to watch. Got really misty eyed near the end. Not really sure what else to say... yeah the emotional impact was pretty huge for me even though it's only been 7 episodes. I'm guessing the mouth whistle is some sort of thing passed on by the Mist people and they will most likely be taking care of Erin now.
LoneWolfJul 20, 2014 9:42 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 20, 2014 8:11 AM

Sep 2012
Episode 7

Jul 20, 2014 3:51 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Had yet another busy weekend, so I fell behind a bit. Time for some catch-up...

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7
Jul 21, 2014 10:44 AM

Feb 2008
Episode 7

Episode 8

Jul 21, 2014 12:04 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 8
Jul 21, 2014 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 8

Ep 9
[spoiler]
Jone continues to prove his bro-ness, and honestly I don't think the fart jokes are all that funny, but at the same time I don't mind them all that much and it makes Jone's character feel more light-hearted and approachable. I mean if I was a little girl and some strange old man that your staying with I would be pretty on guard. Nice to see Erin want to take responsibility and not mooch of the guy at end too. It was also great to see her be thankful for everything that he's already given her. I feel like shes already on the path to becoming like her mother :)

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 21, 2014 11:49 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 9
Jul 22, 2014 10:10 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 10
[spoiler]
So it seems like those 2 thief brothers were somewhat important, if anything for the people that hired them. Jone rakes in more bro point for helping the sick mom and Erin is really developing quickly into a kind and mature person. I'd say shes probably more mature than me at 20 as well lol. So yeah the Kings guard guy (Ial)... I imagine we'll be seeing more of him in the future, the "fight" wasn't the most intense, but hey I wasn't even expecting any action in these series so I guess I'll take what I can get lol. Nice of Ial to give Erin his harp near the end too. Looking forward to Erin learning how to play it.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 22, 2014 4:52 PM

Sep 2012
Episode 8

Episode 9

Jul 23, 2014 4:15 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 11
[spoiler]
So it looks like Erin is going to be following in Jone's footsteps as a honey person. Well I guess from this episode it seems more like shes a Botanist though. I'm glad she and Jone managed to save the 2 thief brothers though. They were dumb to eat the mushrooms in the first place, but at this point I think they're hearts are in the right place. Hopefully some of Jone's overflowing fountain of broness rubs off on them lol.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 24, 2014 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
Episode 9

Episode 10

Jul 24, 2014 5:52 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 12
[spoiler]
Really nice pure s-o-l ep. I probly would have run and screamed if I saw that centipede lol. The beast lords sound really interesting, hopefully we some soon. Also DAT JONE THEME. Seriously best part of the ep, someone as awesome as Jone definitely deserves his own theme lol.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2009
Episode 14 is a recap episode so feel free to skip it, unless you need a refresher.

Ep 13
[spoiler]
Wow the beast lord is quite impressive. I liked how they used the cave paint art to show the more violent parts of the fight against the Touda. Erin was really brave to go to rescue Jone. Not much else to say aside from Erin realizing what her mother did to save her.

LoneWolfJul 26, 2014 5:56 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 27, 2014 12:51 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 10

Episode 11

Episode 12

Episode 13

Thanks for the info on Episode 14 as well battosai. I watched it in the background as I browsed the interwebs.
KingYoshiJul 27, 2014 4:36 AM
Jul 27, 2014 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 15
[spoiler]
It was really nice to see both Erin and Jone come clean about their pasts after living 4 years holding it in. The timeskip didn't feel forced or anything, some nice progression and it was good to see visible aging in both Jone and Erin. The thief brothers kinda look the same though. It's kinda funny to think that they've been mooching off them for 4 years now lol. Yeah looking forward to whats going to happen next.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 27, 2014 8:06 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 15
Jul 28, 2014 10:11 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 16
[spoiler]
Nice to finally get some insight into Ial's past, hes been hinted as one of the more important char for a while, but we barely knew anything about him. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but what was it exactly that Hagal did that went against the Sezan code and made Ial kill him?

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 28, 2014 6:32 PM

Sep 2012
Episode 10

Episode 11

Jul 28, 2014 8:45 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 16
Jul 29, 2014 5:10 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 17
[spoiler]
I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of some of the politics in this show. So theres the Grand Duke and his people (they control the militia and have the Touda armies) and then theres the Queen and her forces which seem to be mainly political. Ial is also part of the Sezan who are tasked to protect the queen as we saw. Then theres Saigamaru who are insurgents among the Duke's ranks that want to overhtrow the queen. This assassination attempt has made things more interesting. Looking forward to how Erin fits into all of this.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 30, 2014 4:36 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 18
[spoiler]
Well I guess this is goodbye for Jo- scratch that Brone lol. I think he deserves a silly nick name at this point since his bro level is well over 9000 and what not. May he always remain awesome and may his farts always be smelly. Even though next arc seems to be school related hopefully they actually do some learning instead of the usual romcom nonsense I've come to expect in most school anime.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 30, 2014 10:01 PM

Sep 2012
Episode 12

Episode 13

Episode 14

Jul 31, 2014 8:26 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 19
[spoiler]
Actually a decent amount of learning lol. Good to see Erin managing to fit in with the rest of the class. Good on Yuyaan for being so nice to her too. I like how the theif brothers are just chilling at the school now too lol. I guess no one finds it odd that 2 grown men are just hanging around a kids school, but yeah anime logic.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 1, 2014 10:17 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 20
[spoiler]
Good emotional episode. I like how Erin can empathize wit the baby Lilan and how shes realizing the weight of her mothers words in regards to taming wild beasts and how they're not the same. We could even see the physical difference for the beast lords. The silver shimmering wild adults v.s the dark brown adults that were kept captive. Looking forward to the next ep and how she handles taking care of Lilan.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 2, 2014 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 21
[spoiler]
Again very emotional. It was pretty heart-wrenching to see Erin ignore her own health to try to get Lilan to eat. Remembering how the Beast Lords in the wild were handled and trying to replicate that. Well the end result was worth it IMO. Great episode.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 3, 2014 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 22
[spoiler]
So a more Ial-centric episode. We got to know a little more on the politics side as well. Also we know why Ial had to turn on Hagal now. It was great that they managed to get the harp tuned properly. So great to finally see Lilan eating.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 4, 2014 2:29 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 17

Episode 18

Episode 19

Episode 20

Episode 21

Episode 22
Aug 4, 2014 9:50 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 23
[spoiler]
Very cool of the teachers and students at the school to let Erin raise Lilan the way she wants. Those rules about raising the beat lords are really idiotic I have to agree though, the episodes that focus less on Erin are just not that interesting. She's just such an interesting character, the others just don't have the same appeal to me.
LoneWolfAug 4, 2014 10:07 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 5, 2014 9:38 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 24
[spoiler]
Pretty much pure politics this ep. The stuff about the discrimination against the Grand Duke's people makes me really want to be on their side. The Grand Duke himself seems like kind of an ass though. I like Shunan, he realizes there needs to be change. Curious how the brother is going to fit into this now.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 6, 2014 2:08 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 25
[spoiler]
Well pure comedy this ep. I like that the thief brother got a whole episode to themselves, but I just wish it managed to develop them more or give them a little backstory. It was just the same comedy hijinx we were used to. Srsly these guys are grown ass men, they need to think about the future. Find wives, settle down, raise a family and stuff. They can't just follow Erin around their entire lives.
LoneWolfAug 7, 2014 4:36 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 7, 2014 4:22 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 26
[spoiler]
God, so many feels when watching this show. It's amazing that Lilan can understand Erin and they're getting a long so well. Him flying at the end was fantastic too. I wonder if captive Beat Lords are supposed to be able to fly, considering they would probably want to escape if they could.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 7, 2014 10:10 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 23

Episode 24

Episode 25

Episode 26
KingYoshiAug 7, 2014 10:13 AM
Aug 8, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 27
[spoiler]
Wow... definitely was not expecting such a metaphorical look at Erin's psyche. Loved all of the trippy imagery. In a way this was kind of like an indirect recap. Just a much more interesting way of doing it rather than bland exposition. Really great episode. Plus we got to see the best char Brone again and hear his badass theme XD

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 9, 2014 11:01 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 28
[spoiler]
Srsly creator? Hasn't the poor girl been through enough hardship? I guess I should have seen this coming with the last episode being somewhat of a flashback featuring Brone, but really... Man this is pretty emotional though. He really was an amazing selfless character, you don't see people like him often.

R.I.P Jone

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 10, 2014 6:41 AM

Aug 2009
Episode 30 is another recap episode, however there is a little bit of new material near the end (around 20 mins). I'm pretty sure they'll cover it in 31, so I won't bother talking about it yet.

Ep 29
[spoiler]
Erin just can't seem to catch a break. I really hope this doesn't ruin their relationship. I know Erin is a strong girl though, I'm sure she'll make it through this. Yeah not much else to say.
LoneWolfAug 10, 2014 6:46 AM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 11, 2014 10:22 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 31
[spoiler]
So a four year timeskip. Erin is starting to look more and more like her mother with each passing year. This new teacher guy seems a little suspicious. His past seems a little unclear, but it seems like his sister died and he had to serve under a wayjaku (or however it's spelled, grand dukes ppl). So this makes me think hes probably some sort of spy for the Queen. Dat end scene though... just beautiful. Shed a tear. New Op theme and ED were nice too. Well it's just a diff singer for the OP though.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ie Naki Ko (Nobody's Boy Remi)

LoneWolf - Feb 24, 2015

33 by TheDenOfEverythn »»
Nov 11, 2019 3:22 PM

» Moonlight Mile - Simulwatch

omakase - Nov 27, 2017

23 by KannoSugako »»
Jan 8, 2018 7:04 AM

» Victorian Romance Emma - Simulwatch

LoneWolf - Feb 12, 2017

22 by LoneWolf »»
Jun 12, 2017 11:10 PM

» Mujin Wakusei Survive - Simulwatch ( 1 2 )

KingYoshi - Sep 27, 2016

62 by omakase »»
Feb 4, 2017 2:37 PM

Sticky: » List of all the public simul-watch projects

Alcoholicide - Feb 7, 2012

10 by hpb123 »»
Dec 14, 2016 9:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.