Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 12, 2014 2:31 PM

Jan 2014
Hello everyone,
I don't know if his thread was made before...
But I believe the 300 kb limit is way too strict. I mean sure people with slow connection might suffer, but maybe an option for said users to hide/ignore sigs altogether would solve it?
Sigs are a very nice personalization, but it's hardly exploited because of that rule, what do you think?

Another idea: Allow the width to be 900 instead of 600. It won't change much, but this way the entire sig area can be covered, I kind of get bothered by how asymmetric the sig looks, so an entire strip taking all width would be really nice.

I hope at least the latter gets considered.

Thank you :-)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2014 2:34 PM

Apr 2013
This has been made before.

Same answer as last time: signatures =//= autobiographies.
Jul 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Oct 2009
judals said:
I hope at least the latter gets considered.

No
Jul 12, 2014 3:13 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
I dislike this idea.
First off, the 300kb limit.
It's is super super super insanely hard.. (Is it even possible??) to make signature that is within size restriction over 300kb without using a gif. From there, you speak of how signatures are a representation of the user... why would you need a gif of an anime to do that? I think a better representation of a user would be an image that a user created, not a set of frames taken from an anime or show. (Unless you make a gif signature... like Shuryuken)

If it bothers you how asymmetric your signature is, you can always use the [ center ] bbcode and place your signature right in the middle. Making it 150x900 would make signatures look too much like headers or banners rather than what an ideal signature (Well.. ideal in my mind) should look like.

I am up for the option of disabling the [ img ] bbcode in both forums and signature areas... but not disabling signatures in general. Though these coding ideas are usually never pushed through.
Jul 12, 2014 7:05 PM

Mar 2010
Its actually a bit early for this suggestion to hold water. But for now I'm hoping This MAL sig Updates more successfully.

There is already a option for all sigs to be hidden when you log in.
http://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=forumoptions >> Work Mode

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 16, 2014 3:41 PM

Dec 2013
It should be larger but not by much. With my current signature I tried to add one more sentence but it didn't work, as a result the bottom half of it was cut off. There should be just enough added to the limit for that 1 extra line that's cut off if anything I just said makes sense.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 16, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2009
TheArchangles982 said:
It should be larger but not by much. With my current signature I tried to add one more sentence but it didn't work, as a result the bottom half of it was cut off. There should be just enough added to the limit for that 1 extra line that's cut off if anything I just said makes sense.

Use smaller font?
Jul 16, 2014 3:56 PM

Nov 2010
TheArchangles982 said:
So you want them to make the limit larger just so you can add one extra line?
Jul 17, 2014 12:02 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
TheArchangles982 said:

That's what I understood as well. Like Serhiyko said, smaller fonts....
Jul 17, 2014 2:32 AM

Mar 2013
Zefyris said:
That's what I understood as well. Like Serhiyko said, smaller fonts....

Or just put the entire thought into one line, not have 4 lines just to point out a dried-out joke about being 79% Jesus.
Jul 23, 2014 7:29 PM

Feb 2013
800x150 would be nice. I wouldn't mind being able to use the full width, since the forum is fixed-width anyways.

On the 300k limit... it certainly does make things challenging to squeeze down to fit that... I wouldn't mind moving it up to 500k... But I don't want to load people's 20MB sig gifs... glad they've been removing people's sigs lately.
Jul 24, 2014 1:01 AM

Oct 2009
BurntJelly said:
But I don't want to load people's 20MB sig gifs...

Then report them
Jul 25, 2014 8:53 PM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
TheArchangles982 said:

It's not that it's for me personally I only used myself as an example. My point is that there's an extra line there but it's cut off. It should be extended to the point where there isn't that awkward, cut off line.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 26, 2014 2:13 PM

Mar 2013
The height of the signature is big enough already. There is no need for an expansion there. If anything, the width could be discussed.
Jul 26, 2014 5:19 PM

Jul 2014
I keep getting my Sig flagged for being too big , I would love it if MAL can make the sig's a bit bigger , but probably they wont so people don't complain when there pages don't load ...l
Jul 27, 2014 12:54 AM
Jul 2013
To be honest here. I don't see any purpose for the user signatures anyway.

If your going to tell me it's about users showing their creative side then, i must tell you, MAL users aren't creative at all. One percent of the registers are of what i can say creative.

All Most of them are just a waste of bandwidth really, if you people want increased limits, then show them how creative you can be.
Jul 27, 2014 1:07 AM

Oct 2009
I demand a new 600px height by 150px width limit because otherwise my e-penis wouldn't fit
Jul 27, 2014 1:22 AM

Mar 2013
BeyondNero said:

If your going to tell me it's about users showing their creative side then, i must tell you, MAL users aren't creative at all. One percent of the registers are of what i can say creative.

All Most of them are just a waste of bandwidth really, if you people want increased limits, then show them how creative you can be.

Expanding those thoughts to the ultimatum, if anything, I would suggest removing the signatures completely. After all, the forums are used to discuss various topics, not show off your possible artistic skills or your fancy visual tastes.
Jul 27, 2014 1:34 AM

Dec 2012
Subpyro said:
BeyondNero said:

Expanding those thoughts to the ultimatum, if anything, I would suggest removing the signatures completely. After all, the forums are used to discuss various topics, not show off your possible artistic skills or your fancy visual tastes.

Why stop there. They should remove the avatars too, and the about me section, the profile pictures, the comment section, every board that is not directly relevant to anime and manga.

Oh shit, I just realized something awesome. Why not remove everything that doesn't have anything to do with having an anime/manga list? after all the site is called myanimelist, everything else is unnecessary.

This your thought process....
Jul 27, 2014 2:07 AM

Mar 2013
Subpyro said:
BeyondNero said:

[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 27, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2008
I personally think the current signature dimension is good enough, if anything you just design your signature with the styles you are most comfortable with depending on the allowable resolution in each site.

Removing everything in this site except for the anime and manga list would be foolish as it makes the site super boring to use.
Jul 28, 2014 3:10 PM

Jan 2014
Wait what? People can hide signatures? I thought the only reason for not allowing large sigs is being considerate of slow broadband?
But if they can just hide it what's the big deal?

We want gifs as sigs.

This minimalist approach doesn't always work.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2014 4:26 PM

Oct 2013
I hate people who have signatures that take up half of the screen. It's ridiculous. The signature limit is just fine imo.

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

4 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
7 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.