Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 11, 2014 12:06 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
@ammish, im not argueing over downloading here, so that crosses out everything from "fiddle" to "mobile phone", if you were talking about video loading speed then it doesnt matter what streaming website your on, the loading speed will be the same for everything

ok so no kissanime app, but there doesnt need to be when you just have to type "kissanime.com" on safari or whatever browser a phone uses. chromecast, well thats the same as just watching stuff on your laptop but on a bigger screen, doesnt effect much

i went on my xbox and it looks like the crunchyroll app is only available in america so its region locked on consoles too

so crunchyroll is pretty much useless on stuff other than on a computer if you dont live in america and you hae an extension so nothings region locked, but its a lot of hassle

kissanime isnt region locked so i do have a reason for using it, plus i dont even have to pay and i get to watch more than if i use crunchyroll
Jul 11, 2014 12:08 AM

Mar 2013
You live on a bald rock at the end of the earth, you're probably used to that sort of thing.

Sidenote: crunchyroll works fine in Canada too.
Jul 11, 2014 12:19 AM

Jan 2008
Kawaii_Snuffles said:
@ammish, im not argueing over downloading here, so that crosses out everything from "fiddle" to "mobile phone", if you were talking about video loading speed then it doesnt matter what streaming website your on, the loading speed will be the same for everything

I'm arguing about convenience, which CrunchyRoll does a lot better. That is my main point of the argument, which is the convenience. You ask why would someone use CrunchyRoll and I answered because a variety of devices can support it. Other countries do not factor into my argument.

That means CrunchyRoll is not support much in your region, therefore you have an argument to not support it. For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

kissanime isnt region locked so i do have a reason for using it, plus i dont even have to pay and i get to watch more than if i use crunchyroll

And that is your reason, but if CrunchyRoll was supported in a lot of regions and have up to date simulcast of the latest anime, then that would be the reason to have a CrunchyRoll account (unless money is a concern and I apologise, kiddo, you are not entitled to everything without money).

Also, there is no guarantee that kissanime would work on every devices (because of codec issues and how it's formatted) and it does not support the industry in any way. A crunchyroll app is guaranteed unless it specifically states your device is outdated.

If you are restricted to a computer for your fix, CrunchyRoll is a hard sell (though still worth it). But if you have a multitude of devices that can support Crunchyroll and your region supports it, then it is worth it. You are arguing that it is not worth it, when that is completely false in the supported regions.
Jul 11, 2014 12:29 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
can we just agree on this please cause i dont want to right another essay, crunchy roll premium is only worth it depending where you live, ok?????

you already shot down my original statement, i dont see any more reason to argue with you, if i could get easy access to crunchyroll i probably wouldve used it, money doesnt effect me really

(they have an option for the video if people are using mobile phones with kissanime)
Jul 11, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2007
[quote=Ammish]
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

Bullshit. Fansubbers tend to translate better than CR.
Jul 14, 2014 7:22 AM

Jul 2011
not worth it for me. there are other sites where u can watch for free right when the new ep comes out. also adblock. i bought premium cr before but barely used it

🇦‌🇳‌🇮‌🇲‌🇪‌ 🇱‌🇮‌🇸‌🇹‌
🇵‌🇷‌🇴‌🇫‌🇮‌🇱‌🇪‌
🇲‌🇺‌🇸‌🇮‌🇨‌

Jul 14, 2014 10:07 AM

Jun 2007
Kyuutoryuu said:
shadedclan said:
Just torrent from fansubs lol. They post at the same time a show is aired, only take about a few minutes to download and free!
How can fansub groups possibly post at the same time a show is aired? They sub the entire episode in 2 seconds?
If you mistakenly believe that HorribleSubs is a fansub group, as do many people who fall for MAL's mislabeling of all groups who release downloadable anime as "fansubbers," I suppose shadedclan's statement becomes "true."

[quote=Drunk_Samurai]
Ammish said:
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

So why do most "fansubbers" these days choose to edit CR rather than translate themselves? Though that's not to say fan-edits don't have their advantages, like translated OP/ED, better timing/typesetting, and improved editing. Of course, some of the worse groups can introduce mistakes and make CR subs worse, and there's groups like Commie that add stupid troll lines and inane typesetting effects that cause lag and distract the reader from the show.

Or there's all the dumb legal hurdles out there that hobble CR's translations, beyond the delayed/untranslated OP/ED. It's always fun to watch JJBA Stardust Crusaders and hear "Jei Gairu" (J. Geils) but read "Centerfold." To those who still believe "there's no excuse," see my post on Page 2.
Jul 14, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2012
ScarYaY said:
Nonyflah said:
Worth it? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Here are a couple other things that might sway your decision:

Some shows are only available to people with premium access. So, if you see something that you really want to watch but is just unavailable with free access, it's something to consider. Likewise if you want to read manga on the CR site.

Premium gives you a higher quality stream. Not necessarily a plus, depending on how reliable your ISP is.

If you wait until December to subscribe, you might find some very lucrative discounts for premium access (like I did).

The question you have to ask yourself is, are all of these things worth the money you'd be spending for it?

Well I'm sorta in the middle with it. That's why I posted this as a way of seeing what it was like for them. To see if I can convince myself through others if it's worth it. So far I've seem 2 definite yeses (from the US), and one solid yes so far.

Some shows not available for free? 0_0 never seen that before. What shows we talking here?

I do live in the US and my ISP is pretty good for the most part so I guess that is a plus. XD

Mostly just trying to gather the pros and cons of premium cruncyroll.

My biggest fear with it is if I would use it that much and take advantage of it. Usually whenever I'm subscribed to something, like an MMO for example (World of Warcraft), I pretty much use it a ton and make the subscription worth it. If I don't use it much, I feel like I'm just wasting money. :(
rurouni kenshin is premium only, definitely worth the sub.
"I’m just watching a bad dream I never wake up from."
Jul 14, 2014 10:24 AM

Feb 2013
Zalis said:
Kyuutoryuu said:
How can fansub groups possibly post at the same time a show is aired? They sub the entire episode in 2 seconds?
If you mistakenly believe that HorribleSubs is a fansub group, as do many people who fall for MAL's mislabeling of all groups who release downloadable anime as "fansubbers," I suppose shadedclan's statement becomes "true."

Drunk_Samurai said:
So why do most "fansubbers" these days choose to edit CR rather than translate themselves? Though that's not to say fan-edits don't have their advantages, like translated OP/ED, better timing/typesetting, and improved editing. Of course, some of the worse groups can introduce mistakes and make CR subs worse, and there's groups like Commie that add stupid troll lines and inane typesetting effects that cause lag and distract the reader from the show.

Or there's all the dumb legal hurdles out there that hobble CR's translations, beyond the delayed/untranslated OP/ED. It's always fun to watch JJBA Stardust Crusaders and hear "Jei Gairu" (J. Geils) but read "Centerfold." To those who still believe "there's no excuse," see my post on Page 2.

Because there's less effort in editing a script than redoing it completely. Most groups, when CR does a good job, will TLC the script, edit it for better flowing, add typesetting, styling, etc.

Though I have a CR subscription, I don't plan to use any of their services for now.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 14, 2014 10:28 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah I think it's worth it, only $8 a month I believe and you get to watch stuff normal users can't while avoiding ads.
Jul 14, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
I think it's worth it. I know that I can usually find everything I need on kissanime.com. It's a pretty safe site and all, but I really wanna support the industry. That's why I have a Crunchyroll membership. It seems like a pretty reasonable price for the amount of convenience it gives. I love the quality of the anime. Though it doesn't have every show I wanna see, it has most. And I like watching shows ASAP, so that's also a perk.

It's all up to you and if you think the fee is doable for your budget, but I think it's a nice way to support the industry. This is really just personal preference honestly. It's not like you NEED Crunchyroll to watch anime ever. There are many other outlets that are free and HQ.
Jul 14, 2014 4:08 PM

Aug 2007
[quote=Zalis]
Kyuutoryuu said:
shadedclan said:
Just torrent from fansubs lol. They post at the same time a show is aired, only take about a few minutes to download and free!

Drunk_Samurai said:
Ammish said:

Then find the groups that actually translate themselves. I won't watch subs if I know they took Crunchyroll subs.
Jul 15, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2008
[quote=Drunk_Samurai]
Ammish said:
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

I find that to be very nit picky and a excuse just to not pay for content. Crunchyroll's subs are more than serviceable and as I stated, you can use their services on a variety of media devices.

It is spoiled anime brat syndrome. An excuse that should have no place considering America (and Canada/UK to an extent) gets the majority of their anime licensed and it is a shame that many years on, people still think they are entitled to content just because someone subbed it the wrong way.

Welcome to our generation of entitled little shits.
Jul 15, 2014 12:25 PM

Nov 2010
I, like you, like to use my subscriptions to their fullest. So I'm going to suggest doing what I did. Start with the three month subscription. Watch the shows you know you want to watch. Then after you've burned through those, if there is still time, play crunchyroll roulette. Where you pick a letter then watch an anime that starts with that letter. I've found a few shows I enjoyed, but never would have given a chance otherwise. By that time your three months should be up and you can decide if you want to continue with the service. By the way be sure to turn off the adult filter.
Jul 15, 2014 12:28 PM
Jul 2014
In my personal opinion I don't see much importance of having it when you can watch anime online for free. If you use other devices however, like an Xbox and enjoy watching anime on a tv, then I would have to say its more worth buying. In the end, I guess it depends on the situation.
Jul 15, 2014 12:33 PM
Mar 2013
Ammish said:
That means CrunchyRoll is not support much in your region, therefore you have an argument to not support it. For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.
I am from UK and this is bullshit. We get hardly any shows through crunchyroll
Jul 15, 2014 1:51 PM

Aug 2007
[quote=Ammish]
Drunk_Samurai said:
Ammish said:

I find that to be very nit picky and a excuse just to not pay for content. Crunchyroll's subs are more than serviceable and as I stated, you can use their services on a variety of media devices.

It is spoiled anime brat syndrome. An excuse that should have no place considering America (and Canada/UK to an extent) gets the majority of their anime licensed and it is a shame that many years on, people still think they are entitled to content just because someone subbed it the wrong way.

Welcome to our generation of entitled little shits.

Then you're stupid. Translations are what actually makes anime good. If the translations aren't as accurate then they just are not as good. It has nothing to do with "making excuses".
Drunk_SamuraiJul 16, 2014 2:30 AM
Jul 15, 2014 2:20 PM
Mar 2012
Did someone say CR is more convenient on mobile devices? Stop using Apple devices and just torrent on your smartphone. Downside of CR is that you need constant internet connection to watch anime. Save your 3G/4G data by torrenting at home then watching the torrented anime when you're out. Connect to your TV, Chromecast, or plug a USB to your home console without the need to directly stream from CR.

Though I'm pretty sure many can agree that dropping money for FUNimation premium is one of the worst decisions you can make.
Jul 15, 2014 2:23 PM

Jun 2014
LastChapter said:
Did someone say CR is more convenient on mobile devices? Stop using Apple devices and just torrent on your smartphone. Downside of CR is that you need constant internet connection to watch anime. Save your 3G/4G data by torrenting at home then watching the torrented anime when you're out. Connect to your TV, Chromecast, or plug a USB to your home console without the need to directly stream.

Though I'm pretty sure dropping money for FUNimation premium is one of the worst decisions you can make.

Unless you're like me and have shitty T-Mobile so you have unlimited data anyways.

Jul 15, 2014 6:16 PM

Jun 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Then find the groups that actually translate themselves. I won't watch subs if I know they took Crunchyroll subs.
A task that's getting increasingly harder each season, as many shows don't have any choices that aren't HorribleSubs or based on CR/Funi/TAN/Viz/etc.

LastChapter said:
Though I'm pretty sure dropping money for FUNimation premium is one of the worst decisions you can make.
I'm pretty sure I agree, even though I don't subscribe -- their player has refused to even load any videos whatsoever the last 5-6 times I've tried it, and that's not even for member-only videos. Funi also suffers from many of CR's same problems, like untranslated OP/ED, TV-censored versions even when they've released the show on DVD/BD, lackluster typesetting for onscreen text, and seriously subpar subtitles for some shows.

Ammish said:

That's a great marketing slogan: "Buy our products; most of the time they're marginally adequate!" I thought that one argument for spending money on legitimate releases, aside from legality/morality, was that paid professionals accountable to their customers and their licensing partners could do a better job than random amateurs from who knows where whom you only know by some IRC handle.

Is it so wrong to desire or demand that professional releases be professional, with accurate, relatively error-free subs, the actual disc version, A/V quality that makes the show look and sound as good as possible on our current or future playback systems, with competent packaging that identifies and protects the media inside? I don't think it is. While there is some self-entitled whining going on in the fandom, and I'm sometimes guilty of it, I'm highly hesitant to buy discs that don't live up to the standards I've come to expect over the last 11.5 years of buying anime. Since streams never do, I don't subscribe, though the only streams I watch are legal ad-supported ones. Illegal streams like k***anime = the online equivalent of bootleg DVDs.
Dec 25, 2014 8:05 AM
Mar 2012
LastChapter said:
Did someone say CR is more convenient on mobile devices? Stop using Apple devices and just torrent on your smartphone. Downside of CR is that you need constant internet connection to watch anime. Save your 3G/4G data by torrenting at home then watching the torrented anime when you're out. Connect to your TV, Chromecast, or plug a USB to your home console without the need to directly stream from CR.

Though I'm pretty sure many can agree that dropping money for FUNimation premium is one of the worst decisions you can make.

I do Funimation premium because:

1. Sometimes I like the option of watching DUBS.
2. I watch anime on the TV, not on the computer, so I do the MHL to HDMI connection from my tablet.

However, they inexplicably don't number their episodes, your lists don't sync across devices and they don't have chromecast support (which CR has).
Dec 25, 2014 8:14 AM

Nov 2012
premium uTorrent worth more
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Dec 25, 2014 8:44 AM

Aug 2007
superseiyan said:
LastChapter said:

I do Funimation premium because:

1. Sometimes I like the option of watching DUBS.
2. I watch anime on the TV, not on the computer, so I do the MHL to HDMI connection from my tablet.

However, they inexplicably don't number their episodes, your lists don't sync across devices and they don't have chromecast support (which CR has).

That's actually worst since Funimation's is only available in North America.
Dec 25, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2014
No, just watch kissanime.
Dec 25, 2014 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 25, 2014 10:25 AM

Dec 2013
Depends on your location and how much Anime you watch. I'm consuming too much right now to be satisfied with their current library.

It's not worth it for me. I'd probably pay for it if they got a few more series... They're close but they need to step up their game a little. Funimation and Hulu also need to bring their services to the UK, really annoying having Crunchyroll being the only legal service providing Anime.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 25, 2014 10:31 AM
Sep 2014
No, just watch In Kissanime or download torrents
Dec 25, 2014 10:39 AM

Jan 2014
Kissanime is a great alternative, but it's not like their sources are the greatest either. It also suffers from its fair share of bitrate deprived '1080p' and even '720p' anime series.
Dec 25, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2014
KissAnime4EvaBiatch.

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Dec 25, 2014 12:18 PM

Mar 2014
Don't you guys feel any guilt when you pirate?
Dec 25, 2014 12:20 PM

Mar 2014
sullynathan said:

No
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 25, 2014 1:44 PM

Aug 2007
sullynathan said:

Why should I?
Dec 25, 2014 8:56 PM

Jun 2007
Observator said:
****anime is a great alternative, but it's not like their sources are the greatest either. It also suffers from its fair share of bitrate deprived '1080p' and even '720p' anime series.
Considering that their streams and all streams at bootleg streaming sites are re-encoded from downloaded versions, bootleg streams are by definition inferior quality. If you do a lossy re-encode of a lossy encode (which essentially all downloaded files are), you will wind up with worse quality.

sullynathan said:
Some people either have a massive entitlement complex, don't care about the future of the medium they claim to love, and/or don't mind being on anime welfare by letting other people's purchases subsidize their consumption and determine what kinds of anime get made. Though they still whine about low budgets and "there's too much anime from genres I don't like" all the same -- again, entitlement complex.
Dec 30, 2014 9:34 PM

Mar 2014
No. Get a job u filthy pirates!
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Dec 30, 2014 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
I had a Premium Crunchyroll account for awhile a few years ago, personally I didn't like it. Connection was always slow and I prefer to watch Dub, and from what I remember it wasn't easy to sort them out. Now I have a Funimation Elite subscription and I like it. Selection could be bigger but for $55 a year its cheap.
Dec 30, 2014 10:51 PM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Said everyone.

Dec 31, 2014 1:13 AM

Dec 2014
why don't you try kissanime?
Dec 31, 2014 2:22 AM

Apr 2014
Sakuhanna said:
why don't you try kissanime?
This.
Dec 31, 2014 2:47 AM

Aug 2007
StrawberryRain said:
No. Get a job u filthy pirates!

Your anime list says you're a hypocrite.
Dec 31, 2014 2:51 AM

Jan 2013
Somebody should lemme use their CrunchyRoll account
Dec 31, 2014 7:23 AM

Jun 2007
saifmohammed said:
The combination of BakaBT and Nyaa is all you need.
What if you want releases from a certain group that Nyaa doesn't like, but aren't available on BBT? You'd have to go to that group's website/IRC or another tracker, wouldn't you? Or XviD re-encodes, which Nyaa banned for no real reason other than "Daiz doesn't like them."

Milk_Is_Special said:
No, just watch [some bootleg streaming site]
Or just download, since it's better quality, better selection, and doesn't give money to pirates.
Dec 31, 2014 7:26 AM

Dec 2014
It's no that expensive, has a pretty good selection of shows, helps the industry, and makes watching anime a little more convenient.
Dec 31, 2014 7:27 AM

Mar 2014
Who the hell would want XviD re-encodes anyway?
Only Doki is banned too, I think, they do have a lot of releases though.
Dec 31, 2014 7:41 AM

Apr 2014
Zalis said:
Milk_Is_Special said:
Or just download, since it's better quality, better selection, and doesn't give money to pirates.
I'm not even gonna argue with you.
Dec 31, 2014 7:45 AM

Mar 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Zalis said:
I'm not even gonna argue with you.
"Don't fight a war you cannot win."
Dec 31, 2014 9:40 AM
Apr 2014
Well... I'm personally a dubs person, so I don't use CrunchyRoll. Thought, watchcartoononline sometimes kills me with some of its series mobile incompatibility so my Ipod is rendered useless and my computer being in the living room ._.
To Clarify: My name was not Natsu inspired. I came up with it when I was 5 (2005) on Lego.com, and I definitely didn't watch anime back then.
Dec 31, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
if you live outside the us, you're fucked, so no from me
:3
Dec 31, 2014 12:27 PM

Aug 2007
Zalis said:
saifmohammed said:
The combination of BakaBT and Nyaa is all you need.
What if you want releases from a certain group that Nyaa doesn't like, but aren't available on BBT? You'd have to go to that group's website/IRC or another tracker, wouldn't you? Or XviD re-encodes, which Nyaa banned for no real reason other than "Daiz doesn't like them."

Milk_Is_Special said:

So you download your manga too? I only download manga when I want to make an archive.
Dec 31, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2007
Paulo27 said:

Doki has their own torrent tracker so they have no need to host on nyaa and so don't.
Dec 31, 2014 12:49 PM

Mar 2014
Kuromii said:
Paulo27 said:

Doki has their own torrent tracker so they have no need to host on nyaa and so don't.
Still a pain having to check various places.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

10 by nyugvo6 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
26 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.