Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2014 11:34 AM
May 2014
So far the biggest benefits I have seen with this is see new episodes right away instead of a week later compared to free users. As well as no ads which is cool because HOLY MOLY THE ADS DON'T FREAKING STOP!

The only reason why I'm mostly against a subscription because it doesn't have all or every anime I would want to watch.

Anybody here have one and think it's worth it or no?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 10, 2014 11:38 AM

May 2014
If you're in the US, yes. Anywhere else, look for other sites or watch it from your HDD.
Jul 10, 2014 11:42 AM

Jun 2010
I think it's worth it since I watch a lot of shows on CR. Saves me the trouble of having to download stuff and use up bandwidth. Plus, it's only $8 a month.
Jul 10, 2014 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
Worth it? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Here are a couple other things that might sway your decision:

Some shows are only available to people with premium access. So, if you see something that you really want to watch but is just unavailable with free access, it's something to consider. Likewise if you want to read manga on the CR site.

Premium gives you a higher quality stream. Not necessarily a plus, depending on how reliable your ISP is.

If you wait until December to subscribe, you might find some very lucrative discounts for premium access (like I did).

The question you have to ask yourself is, are all of these things worth the money you'd be spending for it?
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Jul 10, 2014 11:47 AM

Jul 2012
I don't think I've used Crunchyroll more than a few times in the last month, but I do have a recurring 3 month subscription there. Its only $20 every three months and is a super cheap way to support the industry. I'd say its worth it.
Jul 10, 2014 11:52 AM
May 2014
Nonyflah said:

Some shows are only available to people with premium access. So, if you see something that you really want to watch but is just unavailable with free access, it's something to consider. Likewise if you want to read manga on the CR site.

Premium gives you a higher quality stream. Not necessarily a plus, depending on how reliable your ISP is.

If you wait until December to subscribe, you might find some very lucrative discounts for premium access (like I did).

The question you have to ask yourself is, are all of these things worth the money you'd be spending for it?

Well I'm sorta in the middle with it. That's why I posted this as a way of seeing what it was like for them. To see if I can convince myself through others if it's worth it. So far I've seem 2 definite yeses (from the US), and one solid yes so far.

Some shows not available for free? 0_0 never seen that before. What shows we talking here?

I do live in the US and my ISP is pretty good for the most part so I guess that is a plus. XD

Mostly just trying to gather the pros and cons of premium cruncyroll.

My biggest fear with it is if I would use it that much and take advantage of it. Usually whenever I'm subscribed to something, like an MMO for example (World of Warcraft), I pretty much use it a ton and make the subscription worth it. If I don't use it much, I feel like I'm just wasting money. :(
Jul 10, 2014 12:18 PM
May 2014
Forgetfulness said:
No, it's not worth it in the slightest. You can get all those anime in HD for free through torrenting or other illegal websites with virtually no chance of getting caught.

I think one of the few and only reasons why you should get it is just if you want to throw in a few extra bucks to help the industry. At least, that's the only reason I'm doing it :|

Well that I know. Like Gogoanime or anime freak right?

So basically it's most just to help the industry? 0_0
Jul 10, 2014 12:23 PM
Sep 2010
No it is not, download in 1080p now thats worth it.
Jul 10, 2014 12:24 PM

Dec 2011
Is it worth it? To me, definitely (speaking as someone living in the UK, incidentally, not the US). To another person it may not be.

If I lived in Asia I probably wouldn't subscribe to them. If I was someone who only wanted to watch lots of older series (as in more than about 4 or 5 years old) I probably wouldn't think it worth subscribing from outside North America.
kuuderes_shadowJul 10, 2014 12:27 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 10, 2014 12:30 PM

Mar 2013
ScarYaY said:
So far the biggest benefits I have seen with this is see new episodes right away instead of a week later compared to free users. As well as no ads which is cool because HOLY MOLY THE ADS DON'T FREAKING STOP!

The only reason why I'm mostly against a subscription because it doesn't have all or every anime I would want to watch.

Anybody here have one and think it's worth it or no?

You also get to watch stuff in HD.

Zyprexa said:
I think it's worth it since I watch a lot of shows on CR. Saves me the trouble of having to download stuff and use up bandwidth. Plus, it's only $8 a month.

Streaming uses up bandwidth just the same as downloading.

Forgetfulness said:
No, it's not worth it in the slightest. You can get all those anime in HD for free through torrenting or other illegal websites with virtually no chance of getting caught.

I think one of the few and only reasons why you should get it is just if you want to throw in a few extra bucks to help the industry. At least, that's the only reason I'm doing it :|

That's basically the only reason to do it.

Sidenote: you can kill the ads for free using adblock.
Jul 10, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2012
It's worth it, but not if your financially strapped. You can easily download or stream any anime for free.

I like the convenience. Crunchy keeps track of what episodes I've watched and I can easily watch on my devices. My laptop burned out and I went two weeks without it, but I kept watching anime on my xbox with Crunchy.
Jul 10, 2014 1:20 PM

Mar 2014
It depends on how much anime you watch.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 10, 2014 1:26 PM

Oct 2012
Don't be a silly pleb fool!!!

BECOME A PIRATE!!!!!
Jul 10, 2014 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
As others stated, it's great for giving money back to the industry, as well as the episode tracking it does. They also do neat little things like account achievements and such if you're into that.

Otherwise, it's just as fast and convenient to download/stream for free.
Jul 10, 2014 1:37 PM

May 2014
Wow you guys are so piracy friendly, how is that possible on an American site 0_o
Jul 10, 2014 1:37 PM

Mar 2013
T3hSource said:
Wow you guys are so piracy friendly, how is that possible on an American site 0_o

Piracy is international.
Jul 10, 2014 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
I actually do have a subscription for CR but I'm not using it at all to be honest.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 10, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2013
sherlock5545 said:
I actually do have a subscription for CR but I'm not using it at all to be honest.

I am in the same case. The offer outside the US simply sucks. There is barely anything and only a few airing shows are available. Even with a premium subscription you have to rely on other sources. And since I have to check these sources anyway I simply get all the airing shows from there. Outside the US it's not really worth it but since it's just a few euros I still keep it for the occasional moments when Horriblesubs is kind of slow.

On the other hand in the US it seems a little more worth it.
Jul 10, 2014 2:16 PM

Sep 2013
Ive had premium for about 7 months now and I think its worth the small fee. Ads never bothered me because I know how to avoid em (there, MAL, I didnt share the secret) but the HD is where it shines. Also, I know of at least ONE case where a 2nd season was encouraged by the animes popularity of crunchyroll: Log Horizon.
Jul 10, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
All you pirates who dont admit you are wrong are terrible.

I pirate. But I admit it is wrong.
Jul 10, 2014 3:22 PM

Mar 2013
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:

And that admission makes everything ok.
Jul 10, 2014 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
fst said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:

No, but it makes me not a conceited bastard.
Jul 10, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2012
Worth it. Convenience, sometimes it's simulcasted, and well sometimes when torrents are bogged it's just faster.

And since we're here, have some guest passes:
Y8UQPGWUPD9
ULERPP9GXXP
KFFCVSMPV3H
Jul 10, 2014 3:27 PM

Jan 2014
In my opinion its not worth it...
I just use Netflix and anime websites
Jul 10, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
fst said:

No, but it makes me not a conceited bastard.

Yes, you're absolutely right about that.
Jul 10, 2014 3:40 PM

May 2013
Buying CR premium instead of pirating is like giving Satan a handjob instead of sucking him off.
Jul 10, 2014 3:50 PM

Dec 2012
CR has a shitty catalog of anime so no.
Jul 10, 2014 4:55 PM

Aug 2007
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
All you pirates who dont admit you are wrong are terrible.

I pirate and don't give a shit. That makes me an awesome asshole.

Crunchyroll isn't worth it to me even though I live in America. If you don't live in America then you can get potentially screwed on what series your country gets.
Jul 10, 2014 5:31 PM

Aug 2013
It's very worth it to me since I like to watch of anime directly streamed on my iPod and TV. If you solely watch anime on the computer, I would say "no".

And to be fair, Crunchyroll doesn't have the most expansive repertoire (although it does cover a lot of bases).
Jul 10, 2014 6:51 PM

Jun 2007
I'm not so concerned with the ads, as my childhood was in the pre-Internet era when ads were an expected part of any television-watching experience. For me, CR's dealbreakers come from the presentation/subtitling/enjoyability side of things, though I have had some issues with the player being laggy and crashy. Watching on CR, regardless of resolution or whether you watch with or without ads, means:

* Getting only the TV broadcast version for nearly all shows.
* Untranslated content (OP/ED) for most shows, even when they pick up completed shows and don't have to deal with delays in getting lyric translation approvals that would wreck a simulcast schedule.
* Undertranslated content in many shows, e.g. "Ofunehiki" and "the Ojoshi-sama" in NagiAsu, or "Goku Uniform" and "Kamui" in Kill la Kill.
* Flashing subtitles, fragmented timing, illogical line divisions, illogical line breaks (i.e. one line spanning the whole screen and one or two words on the 2nd line)
* Poor/nonexistent typesetting for onscreen text.
* Hit and miss translation/editing quality -- some streams like Natsu no Arashi! are embarrassingly awful by any professional standards.

I'm willing to watch an ad-supported stream here and there to support CR and the industry. But if it's a show I really care about and CR is screwing it up, I'd rather go with a fan-edited version that fixes CR's shortcomings. I prefer to stick with DVD/BD purchases when it comes down to spending money on anime, since that at least usually entails getting the home-video version, fully translated content, and minimally competent subtitles.
Jul 10, 2014 8:00 PM
Feb 2014
Just torrent from fansubs lol. They post at the same time a show is aired, only take about a few minutes to download and free!
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Jul 10, 2014 9:33 PM
May 2011
It depends in if the anime they have are the ones you want to watch,
Jul 10, 2014 9:51 PM

Aug 2013
shadedclan said:
Just torrent from fansubs lol. They post at the same time a show is aired, only take about a few minutes to download and free!

How can fansub groups possibly post at the same time a show is aired? They sub the entire episode in 2 seconds?
Jul 10, 2014 11:32 PM

Jan 2008
Forgetfulness said:

Of course and I don't think any company, no matter what industry, will offer a service better than pirates (i.e. free). It is about convenience and Crunchyroll does offer the best convenience (no downloading, can stream to many devices like Apple TV, Chromecast, mobile phones, Xbox, Playstation, etc) and to some people, that convenience is worth the $8 or £6.

It is why Steam does so well (because of the convenience, lack of region-locks and all updates/patches are automatically downloaded from the steam servers).

I want the international to support anime, so we can see more diversity and better quality as Japan's current taste in anime is poor. Plus I want more Space Dandy and Monster-esque animes than High School and Pantsu shots.

Besides, Crunchyroll is worth it for every country and not just America. We have apps and add-ons that circumvent region-locking and they still get revenue.
Jul 10, 2014 11:35 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
crunchy roll is shit, why would you use it at all?
Jul 10, 2014 11:39 PM

Jan 2008
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

As I mentioned, for convenience. Not even piracy can beat downloading an app on a variety of supported device and watch anime on the sofa, in your bedroom or on your mobile phone when you are out.

That is why CrunchyRoll does so well and it provides a lot of the upcoming anime that people want. Why wouldn't you use it if you have the opportunity to? I used Crunchyroll and for the service it provides as well as the amount of devices I have that supports Crunchyroll, it is a no-brainer.
Jul 10, 2014 11:42 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Ammish said:
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

As I mentioned, for convenience. Not even piracy can beat downloading an app on a variety of supported device and watch anime on the sofa, in your bedroom or on your mobile phone when you are out.

That is why CrunchyRoll does so well and it provides a lot of the upcoming anime that people want. Why wouldn't you use it if you have the opportunity to? I used Crunchyroll and for the service it provides as well as the amount of devices I have that supports Crunchyroll, it is a no-brainer.
CR is region locked in a lot of places so thats 1 problem

Plus kissanime is an easier website to stream off, like much much easier, and its HD where you can actually switch from like 480p to 720p
Jul 10, 2014 11:43 PM

Jun 2012
$8 a month is not a lot but I still wouldn't do it simply because downloading is more convenient (to me) and results in better quality. As far as "supporting the industry goes," I'm all for it--however I do so by buying DVD and/or Bluray collections of shows that I really enjoyed.
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Jul 10, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2008
Kawaii_Snuffles said:
Ammish said:

CR is region locked in a lot of places so thats 1 problem

Plus kissanime is an easier website to stream off, like much much easier

1. You can circumvent the region-lock, though it is much harder on media devices.

2. When kissanime has an app that can be downloaded on your Apple TV, Chromecast, your mobile phone, many video game console devices and allow you to watch an anime when you get home from work and like to relax on the sofa without needing to fiddle with download speeds or file transfers from your computer to your TV device or mobile phone, then you might have a point.

Crunchyroll offers the best convenience for any device in an era of apps and it finds itself fitting comfortably on so many devices. That is why Crunchyroll is popular.
Jul 11, 2014 12:06 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
@ammish, im not argueing over downloading here, so that crosses out everything from "fiddle" to "mobile phone", if you were talking about video loading speed then it doesnt matter what streaming website your on, the loading speed will be the same for everything

ok so no kissanime app, but there doesnt need to be when you just have to type "kissanime.com" on safari or whatever browser a phone uses. chromecast, well thats the same as just watching stuff on your laptop but on a bigger screen, doesnt effect much

i went on my xbox and it looks like the crunchyroll app is only available in america so its region locked on consoles too

so crunchyroll is pretty much useless on stuff other than on a computer if you dont live in america and you hae an extension so nothings region locked, but its a lot of hassle

kissanime isnt region locked so i do have a reason for using it, plus i dont even have to pay and i get to watch more than if i use crunchyroll
Jul 11, 2014 12:08 AM

Mar 2013
You live on a bald rock at the end of the earth, you're probably used to that sort of thing.

Sidenote: crunchyroll works fine in Canada too.
Jul 11, 2014 12:19 AM

Jan 2008
Kawaii_Snuffles said:
@ammish, im not argueing over downloading here, so that crosses out everything from "fiddle" to "mobile phone", if you were talking about video loading speed then it doesnt matter what streaming website your on, the loading speed will be the same for everything

I'm arguing about convenience, which CrunchyRoll does a lot better. That is my main point of the argument, which is the convenience. You ask why would someone use CrunchyRoll and I answered because a variety of devices can support it. Other countries do not factor into my argument.

That means CrunchyRoll is not support much in your region, therefore you have an argument to not support it. For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

kissanime isnt region locked so i do have a reason for using it, plus i dont even have to pay and i get to watch more than if i use crunchyroll

And that is your reason, but if CrunchyRoll was supported in a lot of regions and have up to date simulcast of the latest anime, then that would be the reason to have a CrunchyRoll account (unless money is a concern and I apologise, kiddo, you are not entitled to everything without money).

Also, there is no guarantee that kissanime would work on every devices (because of codec issues and how it's formatted) and it does not support the industry in any way. A crunchyroll app is guaranteed unless it specifically states your device is outdated.

If you are restricted to a computer for your fix, CrunchyRoll is a hard sell (though still worth it). But if you have a multitude of devices that can support Crunchyroll and your region supports it, then it is worth it. You are arguing that it is not worth it, when that is completely false in the supported regions.
Jul 11, 2014 12:29 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
can we just agree on this please cause i dont want to right another essay, crunchy roll premium is only worth it depending where you live, ok?????

you already shot down my original statement, i dont see any more reason to argue with you, if i could get easy access to crunchyroll i probably wouldve used it, money doesnt effect me really

(they have an option for the video if people are using mobile phones with kissanime)
Jul 11, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2007
[quote=Ammish]
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

Bullshit. Fansubbers tend to translate better than CR.
Jul 14, 2014 7:22 AM

Jul 2011
not worth it for me. there are other sites where u can watch for free right when the new ep comes out. also adblock. i bought premium cr before but barely used it

🇦‌🇳‌🇮‌🇲‌🇪‌ 🇱‌🇮‌🇸‌🇹‌
🇵‌🇷‌🇴‌🇫‌🇮‌🇱‌🇪‌
🇲‌🇺‌🇸‌🇮‌🇨‌

Jul 14, 2014 10:07 AM

Jun 2007
Kyuutoryuu said:
shadedclan said:
How can fansub groups possibly post at the same time a show is aired? They sub the entire episode in 2 seconds?
If you mistakenly believe that HorribleSubs is a fansub group, as do many people who fall for MAL's mislabeling of all groups who release downloadable anime as "fansubbers," I suppose shadedclan's statement becomes "true."

[quote=Drunk_Samurai]
Ammish said:
Kawaii_Snuffles said:

For those in America (and to an extent, Britain), they have no excuse whatsoever.

Bullshit. Fansubbers tend to translate better than CR.
So why do most "fansubbers" these days choose to edit CR rather than translate themselves? Though that's not to say fan-edits don't have their advantages, like translated OP/ED, better timing/typesetting, and improved editing. Of course, some of the worse groups can introduce mistakes and make CR subs worse, and there's groups like Commie that add stupid troll lines and inane typesetting effects that cause lag and distract the reader from the show.

Or there's all the dumb legal hurdles out there that hobble CR's translations, beyond the delayed/untranslated OP/ED. It's always fun to watch JJBA Stardust Crusaders and hear "Jei Gairu" (J. Geils) but read "Centerfold." To those who still believe "there's no excuse," see my post on Page 2.
Jul 14, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2012
ScarYaY said:
Nonyflah said:

Well I'm sorta in the middle with it. That's why I posted this as a way of seeing what it was like for them. To see if I can convince myself through others if it's worth it. So far I've seem 2 definite yeses (from the US), and one solid yes so far.

Some shows not available for free? 0_0 never seen that before. What shows we talking here?

I do live in the US and my ISP is pretty good for the most part so I guess that is a plus. XD

Mostly just trying to gather the pros and cons of premium cruncyroll.

My biggest fear with it is if I would use it that much and take advantage of it. Usually whenever I'm subscribed to something, like an MMO for example (World of Warcraft), I pretty much use it a ton and make the subscription worth it. If I don't use it much, I feel like I'm just wasting money. :(
rurouni kenshin is premium only, definitely worth the sub.
"I’m just watching a bad dream I never wake up from."
Jul 14, 2014 10:24 AM

Feb 2013
Zalis said:
Kyuutoryuu said:
If you mistakenly believe that HorribleSubs is a fansub group, as do many people who fall for MAL's mislabeling of all groups who release downloadable anime as "fansubbers," I suppose shadedclan's statement becomes "true."

Drunk_Samurai said:
So why do most "fansubbers" these days choose to edit CR rather than translate themselves? Though that's not to say fan-edits don't have their advantages, like translated OP/ED, better timing/typesetting, and improved editing. Of course, some of the worse groups can introduce mistakes and make CR subs worse, and there's groups like Commie that add stupid troll lines and inane typesetting effects that cause lag and distract the reader from the show.

Or there's all the dumb legal hurdles out there that hobble CR's translations, beyond the delayed/untranslated OP/ED. It's always fun to watch JJBA Stardust Crusaders and hear "Jei Gairu" (J. Geils) but read "Centerfold." To those who still believe "there's no excuse," see my post on Page 2.

Because there's less effort in editing a script than redoing it completely. Most groups, when CR does a good job, will TLC the script, edit it for better flowing, add typesetting, styling, etc.

Though I have a CR subscription, I don't plan to use any of their services for now.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 14, 2014 10:28 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah I think it's worth it, only $8 a month I believe and you get to watch stuff normal users can't while avoiding ads.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

54 by Zarutaku »»
13 seconds ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

129 by Seijatachiiii »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

12 by 23feanor »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 5 hours ago

13 by Kushna »»
11 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 4 hours ago

16 by W3TFT »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.