Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2014 2:06 AM
Mar 2014
iiiiii000Sep 18, 2014 7:09 AM
Jul 10, 2014 2:10 AM

Feb 2014
Well it generally is was very dissapointing. I was told that my mind is gonna blow up from how good it is, but nothing happened.

I think most of the movies are quite overrated.
Jul 10, 2014 2:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The 5th and 7th movie are the only good ones, especially 5. Everything up to that point hardly even makes sense before everything is explained in the latter films.
Jul 10, 2014 2:36 AM

May 2009
If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. It's your opinion, not everyone elses.
Jul 10, 2014 2:38 AM

Oct 2012
It was okay, nothing I hadn't seen before. Story was inconsistent but the aesthetics were quality at least.

Jul 10, 2014 2:40 AM

Nov 2011
I think it was a fantastic idea to have the movies in non-chronological order, it's only once you finish all then you'll go 'Ahhh, that was actually damn good', and a 2nd rewatch is probably where everything falls together.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 10, 2014 2:56 AM

Nov 2011
HaXXspetten said:
The 5th and 7th movie are the only good ones, especially 5. Everything up to that point hardly even makes sense before everything is explained in the latter films.
+1. (Although I'd personally argue that 7 was better than 5).

However, OP, if you considered those movies to be bad, then I can't even imagine how you'd react to 6th movie.
Jul 10, 2014 3:08 AM

Jul 2013
You've gotten this far, you shouldn't stop right before the best movie (and main draw of the whole series really). Though, the sixth movie is not good at all so just something to keep in mind.
Jul 10, 2014 3:14 AM

Nov 2011
If you think that the non-linear narrative isn't good, then why don't you try to watch the series in the chronological order?
Jul 10, 2014 3:17 AM
Jun 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the entire Kara no Kyoukai series. Personally, I found the animation and sound quality of each of the movies to be top notch. I suppose in terms of story some movies stood out more than others (Spiral Paradox was my favourite by far). Overall, I didn't really have any qualms with Kara no Kyoukai.

Maybe drop it for now and get back to it later? Indeed, the jumbled timeline can be rather confusing, but when it all clicks it makes for a satisfying experiencing.
Jul 10, 2014 3:22 AM

Sep 2009
camilleanime said:
Sorry, but no. Extreme fail. I'm so bothered and pissed right now. Can't watch the rest and probably never will. I'd rather use my imagination to finish the story than watch it be butchered.

There's your problem. You saw the first movie and you used that as the tone for everything else, as if they were different movies to be looked at and compared. No. All 7 movies collectively form one plot. That's the keyword here "plot". It's essentially Type Moons study of the human psyche with characters that relate to other TM's works. It's not the type of story to showcase fight scenes or music. It's all about the dialogue.

Not to mention Movie 1 is like in the middle of the story, so yeah. Watching the the most meaty part of the plot and then got sick of it. I think this isn't the type of story for you in general.
Jul 10, 2014 3:24 AM

Jan 2009
You're not.
I really liked the 2nd one. But overall, too pompous for me and not much underneath.
Jul 10, 2014 3:47 AM

Nov 2011
camilleanime said:
Kousoku11 said:
If you think that the non-linear narrative isn't good, then why don't you try to watch the series in the chronological order?
because

1. that is not how it was intended by the directors to be watched.
2. because a poorly executed story will not become better by being put in chronological order.
1. In my opinion, watching it in the release order (ie. the non-linear one) doesn't add anything to the overall narrative, so whether or not it was the intention of the directors for them to be watched in that order hardly matters.
2. You cannot state that it's a poorly executed story when you don't even know what the story is trying to be. You may have an idea of what it's trying to be based on the movies you've already seen, but the fact of the matter is that you need to see the big picture in order to see whether or not it holds up.

I'm not trying to convince you to watch the rest of the series; just change the way you state your opinions to sound less objective.
Kousoku11Jul 10, 2014 3:51 AM
Jul 10, 2014 3:48 AM

Jul 2007
I kind of feel like this too. The first movie is my favourite by far, the rest was hit or miss for me.
The fact that episode 1 didn't explore much of the world or characters was probably a plus in my case, I found the main story to be somewhat cringe-worthy to be honest.

I was really confused about the soundtrack as well, it was one of my first thoughts while watching the series, the first was fantastic, then it all suddenly disappeared. There were a few tracks I liked here and there though.
Jul 10, 2014 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
Stopping right before the 5th movie would be a huge mistake imo, as said several times above.
Jul 10, 2014 4:06 AM

Sep 2009
camilleanime said:

Quickly, tell me what it is that you've understood. Since you've yet to even whisper anything of the story, plot, or characters. You're on the clock. Come to think of it, don't. It's a psychological study. If you haven't gotten it then it's not the type to be of interest of you in the first place.

I'd also avoid comparing a Western work of fiction or an Asian one. Especially works that cross over into other mediums and are from America. That's just a mistake.

This is a purely intellectual work, fiction based, and draws on the narrative and character dialogues more then anything else. It's not something that's suppose to "cozy" up as it goes along or gets easier. It's brutal and confusing for the sake of the intellectual experience. It's also something you'd have to already be accustomed to. Not the genre, the study and probably the company. I don't even know anyone who just "jumped" ship on this and liked it.

This isn't the type of work for you. Stop trying to pick at semantics and trivialities and just admit there's a type of work that, shocker, you aren't accustomed to. You might come back when you're in a different place in your life but it's not now.

Am I being a bit rude? Perhaps. Do I sound condescending? Yeah. Why don't I care? It's like 4 in the morning and I'd like some sleep now.
Jul 10, 2014 4:17 AM

Dec 2012
I think many people would agree with you considering how Epilogue is the lowest rated KnK on here and often mistaken for pseudo-intellectual, pretentious hogwash.
Jul 10, 2014 4:20 AM

Mar 2014
Finish the series of movies please. Unless you just want to look like a complete idiot.
Jul 10, 2014 4:34 AM
Mar 2014
LordLagann said:
camilleanime said:

Quickly, tell me what it is that you've understood. Since you've yet to even whisper anything of the story, plot, or characters. You're on the clock. Come to think of it, don't. It's a psychological study. If you haven't gotten it then it's not the type to be of interest of you in the first place.

I'd also avoid comparing a Western work of fiction or an Asian one. Especially works that cross over into other mediums and are from America. That's just a mistake.

This is a purely intellectual work, fiction based, and draws on the narrative and character dialogues more then anything else. It's not something that's suppose to "cozy" up as it goes along or gets easier. It's brutal and confusing for the sake of the intellectual experience. It's also something you'd have to already be accustomed to. Not the genre, the study and probably the company. I don't even know anyone who just "jumped" ship on this and liked it.

This isn't the type of work for you. Stop trying to pick at semantics and trivialities and just admit there's a type of work that, shocker, you aren't accustomed to. You might come back when you're in a different place in your life but it's not now.

Am I being a bit rude? Perhaps. Do I sound condescending? Yeah. Why don't I care? It's like 4 in the morning and I'd like some sleep now.

i'm not your dog and i don't follow your orders.

Let me get it straight : Rashomon, a movie directed by Kurosawa (who, to many, is the quintessential Japanese director), adapted from a Japanese literary work of fiction (mostly short stories written by Akutagawa to be precise)... cannot be compared to Kara no Kyoukai, a movie directed by another Japanese director, adapted from another Japanese literary work of fiction ?

that's a nice story, bro. you're a condescending little asshole. plain and simple. if at least you had the knowledge to back it up, that is a trait of character, I'd be willing to forgive. but you don't.

after writing that bunch of nonsense that you just wrote, your opinion has become entirely irrelevant to me, so don't feel like you should stay awake just to grace me with your weaboo wisdom.
iiiiii000Jul 10, 2014 5:13 AM
Jul 10, 2014 4:40 AM

Jan 2009
LordLagann said:
This isn't the type of work for you

One can point-out the obvious flaws of KnK's writing without blaming it on a presumed incompatibility of the viewer with the genre.
LordLagann said:
Do I sound condescending? Yeah

Like KnK ? ^^
You shouldn't before watching Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Monster, Kaiba, Serial Experiments Lain.
Seriously, you'll adore these works if you liked KnK.
Jul 10, 2014 6:13 AM

Nov 2012
Well I do agree that Kara no Kyoukai is nowhere near as good as it's said to be, but your post is entirely nonsensical.

You're aware that the movies are not in chronological order and yet you're assuming that the films will become less compelling as you watch more? If that isn't the silliest reason to stop watching something I've ever heard, it's damn near close to it, especially given that you actually enjoy the first couple episodes. Would it not make sense that for a story told in non-chronological order that perhaps the "weaker" episodes become stronger as a result of learning about the causes and results of the events that happened within said episodes?

And well, I have nothing else to say about your post. You've failed to say anything about what's wrong with the subsequent films so I cannot empathise with you. Had you said something of substance, perhaps I could give you a better response.

Kinda funny how you dropped the series just before watching the 5th movie as well which is generally considered the best of the original 7 films. But no need to take my word for it, I don't really care if you keep watching or not. I mean it's not like you're missing out on much, but your reasons (soundtrack, seriously?) for dropping it are just plain dumb.
Jul 10, 2014 11:55 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin board.
Jul 10, 2014 2:52 PM

Jul 2012
@camilleanime

I'm not sure what you have or haven't perceived/understood about the films in the KnK series that you've watched so far since you haven't given very many specifics. Since you also said that you're not just in it for the action, and that you understand what it's saying/doing, I would recommend that, if you're willing, you give the 5th film a shot. At the very least, I think it would help to clear up your complaint about the "random raped girl with bending superpowers".

If you don't mind some spoilers regarding various things the series is doing/saying:

KnK also utilizes several ideas from Daoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Christianity, so if you have some grasp of those, that may help you make more sense of some of the things that may seem out of place to you.

When you say "Ep. 4 = zombie," what do you mean by that?

I will definitely say that, in some ways, KnK is decidedly not accessible or viewer-friendly. A lot of it seems like they take this massive, highly interconnected series of films that can be very off-putting in its depiction of the more gruesome and vile things that happen, and they just set it down in front of the viewer and say, "Here you go. Let's see what you can make of this." I completely agree with a statement I read elsewhere on the internet that KnK asks a lot of the viewer.

To be sure, a very large part of my current understanding of the series came from reading online after I watched it and talking at great length with someone about it as well as re-watching it twice (so far). My actual appreciation of what it says and does is still very fledgling, and is mostly informed by things outside of my own head.

I apologize for the redundancy if some of the things I've mentioned are things you are already aware of. Just going by your posts, it was difficult to determine what, specifically, you did or didn't understand.

From my own experience, gaining a better understanding of the whole of what KnK is saying and doing makes a huge difference in the experience of watching it. You did say that you've watched 4 of the films, and while I agree with you that, having done so, it's perfectly reasonable to form opinions and expectations about where the series is going and the failings or triumphs of the people who created it, it's only the first half of the series number-wise. The first half does a lot with establishing things, and the second half does a lot with fleshing those things out and elaborating and expanding on them. This is why I suggested at least watching the 5th film before making a more final decision about whether or not to watch more.

Of course, whether or not you actually watch more is entirely up to you, but I figured it couldn't hurt to give you some information that may lead you to look at the series in a different light, whether or not you decide to watch more of it.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jul 10, 2014 3:30 PM

Sep 2009
Okiura said:

One can point-out the obvious flaws of KnK's writing without blaming it on a presumed incompatibility of the viewer with the genre.

Like KnK ? ^^
You shouldn't before watching Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Monster, Kaiba, Serial Experiments Lain.

I see you and camilleanime go on at the "obvious" flaws of KnK, which for the record no one claims is perfect, but you've yet to even hint at anything concrete. Plus I haven't seen Akira, Monster, or any other of the series you've mentioned yet. Will I like them? Perhaps. I fail to see how watching them will change anything other then increase the size of my list. KnK is just a sliver of the nasuverse that is Type Moon. As I've said, if you haven't the inclination to like something like KnK in the first place you probably won't.

camilleanime said:

Seriously? What a way to go, went from vaguely confused and turned off to nothing but a filthy casual. You'd think the hallmark of someone who enjoys intellectual works of fiction is the ability to dissect any work regardless of what kind of study it's aiming to be or if "the music isn't epic". Honestly, nothing but superficial nitpicking from someone who's too afraid to admit that they flat out didn't like the subject matter.

I'm so sorry your highness was offended on the internet. That I lacked the capacity to cradle and pamper you, you the stranger on the internet that you are. The stranger who started with nothing but her opinions and tried to pass them off as factual critique. Who'd also throw a fit at anyone who'd disagree, especially those just slightly off tone like me. Lord knows her highness didn't do anything wrong or gave it her all. Honestly, honestly, honestly........please stahp.
Jul 12, 2014 3:48 AM

Nov 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
I think many people would agree with you considering how Epilogue is the lowest rated KnK on here and often mistaken for pseudo-intellectual, pretentious hogwash.

The epilogue is my favorite of them all, it encompasses everything about the series and what it explores in a mere 30 mins, i think watching the epilogue will give you a much better understanding and appreciation of the whole series.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 17, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
Okiura said:
LordLagann said:
This isn't the type of work for you

LordLagann said:
Do I sound condescending? Yeah

Like KnK ? ^^

Except for kaiba, seen/read all of them before I saw KnK.
I still preferred the 5th movie of KnK to almost all of them.
Aug 27, 2014 11:25 AM
Nov 2009
Zee530 said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

The epilogue is my favorite of them all, it encompasses everything about the series and what it explores in a mere 30 mins, i think watching the epilogue will give you a much better understanding and appreciation of the whole series.

I agree with you, the epilogue really delved more into the fundamental influences on the story like collective unconscious or universal intelligence. That primal force the mages are seeking for ultimate power.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jiharo - Jan 24, 2014

176 by MxS7HGS »»
Jul 16, 2023 1:42 PM

» Kara No Kyoukai Or Fate?

removed-user - Dec 11, 2021

17 by RxC2 »»
Feb 16, 2023 6:04 AM

» Caught me surprise about Mana Ryougi's age despite her looks

AzureMomo - Nov 28, 2022

3 by EatYourFrutz_ »»
Nov 29, 2022 2:48 AM

» Where's mikia

Reijoy8 - Apr 2, 2022

2 by KP_SENSEI »»
Apr 2, 2022 6:45 AM

» Kara No Kyoukai:Mirai Fukuin is not understandable

harukazee - Mar 23, 2014

20 by Alexioos95 »»
Sep 6, 2021 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.