Forum Settings
Forums
Akame ga KILL!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 8, 2014 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
I haven't seen anyone mentioning it so I was starting to think people are okay with these new awful names, but that can't be the case now, can it?

I mean, Bulat, Lubbock, Esdeath!?
Those are just ridiculous!

I almost can't keep a straight face reading those.

Please tell me I'm not alone...
Jul 8, 2014 7:36 AM
Apr 2013
I was reading the manga and when i got to the newest chapters I saw Esdeath and burst into laughter. That name is just so dumb I can't even take it. I agree with you, those names are terrible.
Jul 10, 2014 5:29 PM

Jul 2013
The pronunciations for the names are still the same. It's only the spelling of them that's been changed although I agree its kind of annoying. "Esdeath" is a little to ridiculous and the way it used to be spelled "Esdese" looked much better.
This sure is an amazing signature!
Jul 10, 2014 10:17 PM

Jan 2013
Bengon said:
The pronunciations for the names are still the same. It's only the spelling of them that's been changed although I agree its kind of annoying. "Esdeath" is a little to ridiculous and the way it used to be spelled "Esdese" looked much better.

Yeah, I'm aware that it's only the spelling, it's just weird to see for example Rabac, who I've always pronounced 'Raabak' be turned into Lubbock and Ran be turned into Run :P
Jul 11, 2014 12:51 AM

Dec 2013
I prefer the old names though that is partly because I've gotten used them. Though I'm still gonna try to get used to new names and not just stubbornly refuse to accept them. In the anime they are going to be using the new names so that will definitely make them easier to get used to.
Jul 11, 2014 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
NO WONDER I WAS SO CONFUSED IN THE LATEST CHAPTER!!

i was like who the hell is lubo/ lubbock!

i just now realized it was raba/ rabac
Jul 11, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2014
I don't like them either it just doesn't feel right.
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Jul 11, 2014 3:21 PM
Jan 2014
I don't think they have the same pronounciation. (I don't care what they wrote there in that notice ) Let's break it down.
Rabac -> Lubbock
(Worth mentioning also, that the shortened version changed from Raba to Lubo ... they got 1 letter right. )
Romanized, his name is Rabaku ... this new translation would be Ruboku.

Mein -> Mine
Mine does have the same pronounciation as her original name, Main. But not as the one that community knows, Mein. So if you want to go to the original, just use Main.

Schere -> Sheele
Similar as with Main, original is Sheere, so why substitute the ''r'' with ''l'' ? Let's just use the original.

Braht -> Bulat
Originally, his name is Burato. In japanese, that's how they would prnounce ''Bulat'', which might make it seem okay. But it doesn't work well the other way around. While their pronounciation stays the same, ours doesn't. We would pronounce it Bulat. I would suggest Burat/ Brat. Even our Braht looks better, even though the ''h'' is not justified.

Esdese -> Esdeath
This is an Esfail. Firstly, pronounciation of these two is not the same. First is Esdese, while the second is pronounced Esdesu (with japanese pronounciation ) or even Esdet (In english pronounciation ). Her original name is Esdesu ( A play on ''S desu.'' which translates to ''I'm an S(adist)'')
On top of it, that ''death'' is just lame.

Ran -> Run
His original name is Ran. Run in english is pronounced the same, but I deem it a pointless change. Curse you, localization ...

Serieux -> Seryu
Wasn't she always Seryu/Seryuu ? Only for few chapters, they changed it to Serieux, which I truly didn't understand. This change is appreciated, but keep in mind, that this is not a localized name, as it is still in japanese. Can't they even decide what they want to give us ? ( Of course we want to use japanese names, damn it ! )

River -> Liver
Similar as with Burat. L/R change which only brings wrong pronounciation. Who even cares, he is long dead.

Bors -> Bols
Really. Again. Just stop it.
R.I.P. Bors, you will be missed.

Shura -> Syura
What the actual fuck. This is beyond pronounciation, they just straight-out butchered it. Definitely no, that's a whole different name.

Budou -> Budo
''U'' gets added in japanese a lot, so it's practically the same, but that ''u'' helps to keep the right pronounciation, so I would leave it there.

Borick -> Bolic
Thank god he is dead.

TL;DR, Localization sucks, don't use new names. They aren't pronounced the same.
Aug 19, 2014 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
I hate it so much... I know it's such a trivial thing but it annoys the crap out of me!
Aug 20, 2014 3:29 AM

May 2009
Grand Chariot -> Glun Shario
Aug 20, 2014 5:14 AM

Nov 2012
bastek66 said:

seriously? i mean, what the fucking fuck? why the fuck japanese really bad with english name? retarded
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 22, 2014 7:20 PM

Oct 2011
MasaneX said:
I don't think they have the same pronounciation. (I don't care what they wrote there in that notice ) Let's break it down.

Mein -> Mine
Mine does have the same pronounciation as her original name, Main. But not as the one that community knows, Mein. So if you want to go to the original, just use Main.

TL;DR, Localization sucks, don't use new names. They aren't pronounced the same.

Well, if you wouldn't just assume that everything you read (be it names or whatever) has an English origin, you would find yourself with a vast variety of possibilities.

Let's just take Sheele's former name Schere. It is a German word meaning scissors.
Now if you take the German aspect into account, then Mein is perfectly fine. The German "ei" is prounounced like the English "I". You can hear that if you just visit the Google translator and translate "egg" to German and hear the computer voice's translation as its translation is "Ei", the shortest form of those 2 letters.
Aug 23, 2014 10:51 PM

Dec 2011
We wouldn't be cringing as much if the scanlators who did the chapter knew this beforehand.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2014 6:19 AM
May 2014
Bengon said:

Please explain to me how on earth you can pronounce Lubbock like Rabat or Liver like River.

bastek66 said:

LMAO
Sep 7, 2014 2:16 PM
Dec 2013
According to the official guidebook for AgK, Liver was named after Leviathan. Come to think of it, his Teigu named Water Dragon.
Sep 8, 2014 3:21 AM

May 2009
namihei said:
According to the official guidebook for AgK, Liver was named after Leviathan. Come to think of it, his Teigu named Water Dragon.

That's why River sounds more fitting for water-based teigu user.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Should Akame ga Kill! get an anime reboot? ( 1 2 )

jeff_1 - Jan 12, 2017

68 by 01Corvette »»
Jan 13, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Chapter 80 Discussion (Volume 8, Extra)

Mana - Feb 24, 2017

6 by yKija »»
Dec 24, 2023 10:17 AM

» Manga compared to the anime

Pizzakiller23 - Sep 12, 2023

5 by Ri-iel »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:42 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Chapter 4 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 8, 2012

7 by JavanyXD »»
Jun 9, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Chapter 70 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Junchi - Apr 20, 2016

71 by vclouted »»
Apr 25, 2023 6:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.