Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 7, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2013
Super cute anime with amazing colorful art and animation. I think first episode was great and opening was good.
Jul 7, 2014 2:09 PM
Jun 2012
Another unexpectedly good anime this season. I hope the series will keep up this quality.
Jul 7, 2014 2:10 PM
Jan 2014
Really enjoyable anime. I'm glad I gave this a chance.
The character designs look neat. The art is very good as well, a lot of attention to detail. As expected from Madhouse.
The characters look interesting.
I felt really sad when people ignored Hana, when she was recruiting for yosakoi.
The final scene was very nice, both Hana and Naru were happy.
I hope it turns out well.
ResidentJul 12, 2014 9:24 AM
Jul 7, 2014 2:16 PM

Jun 2014
I wasn't sure how this anime would play out, so I took a chance and checked out the first episode.

OMG this was so cute and funny! I love Hana! She is so energetic and fun, a girl from America who doesn't care what people think of her! Naru is cute too, she is so shy and bashful, but doesn't realize that if she opens herself up to the world that she can have her dream one day. I also like Yaya, I think that the chemistry between these 3 girls is going to end up an amazing friendship.

The music from the opening/ending and even the song that Yaya's band played were just so amazing!

Definitely one to watch this season!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jul 7, 2014 2:23 PM

May 2014
Am I the only one who finds the face design to be atrocious? I mean those eyelids, wth.

And their eyelashes are thicker than their brows, if they even have eyebrows. Madhouse you can do so much more, you're discrediting yourselves!

Well damn, the presentation is so good I'm actually buying into the comedy and atmosphere. And it's also reinforced by identifying with Naru, I am an empty person who just absorbs things, I am fascinated by them, but I can only be inspired and active by passionate people.

I even got used to the moe design, why is this so good?! It's a goddamn loli school comedy, but it's done so well I can't fault it.

4/5- Damn.
Jul 7, 2014 2:24 PM

Jul 2013
Yaya's band was good.
LOL Hana's clinginess XD She's a bloody ninja.
Hana the alien! lol
Appearing outside the window and under the desk Naru was at.
And she didn't even know her name after all that..
Glad Naru finally made a choice and has decided to help Hana out
SandyBoiJul 7, 2014 2:29 PM
Jul 7, 2014 3:08 PM

Apr 2010
So enjoyable. Madhouse and their colorful shows! The eyes look weird though.
Jul 7, 2014 3:14 PM

Apr 2013
I couldn't care less about the subject matter, but this show sure is beautiful to look at. Atsuko Ishizuka could direct a show about drying paint and it would still be the best looking show of its season. Also, Minami and Kaya from Wake up, Girls! have lead roles in this, so that's nice.
Jul 7, 2014 3:25 PM

Jan 2009
1. Listening to naru's thoughts & her admiration of yaya w/ the beautiful ost… I just melt inside. This stuff is really deep.

2. The ost really made me feel like I was being taken to another world. i'm glad i'm learning japanese

10/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jul 7, 2014 3:34 PM
Feb 2014
Hm... I kinda liked t overall

Only thigs I didnt quite like: like someone said earlier, too many high squeaky voices xp... character designs are also a teeny bit weird (the eyes). Hana is a bit weird n I find her actions a bit unbelievable and illogical...

Things I liked: really liked the OP. It was cute and music was nice. Music in general was decent. Animation was really good for some scenes, though it takes some getting used to. Yaya. The Yosakoi Dance Theme. Naru. The mini comments in the background (kinda like BwMK)

Not much i can say abt the anime yet... I didnt really love this first episode, but it was nice, and I think things will pick up later?. I'll b waiting for later episodes to impress me
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 7, 2014 3:34 PM
Apr 2013
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Magical Warfare, Mahouka, No Game No Life, and now this genric moe slice of life bullshit.
Wow Madhouse has had a bad run of shit anime lately.
It saddens me seeing such a respectable studio stoop so low.
Jul 7, 2014 4:31 PM

Jan 2012
I thought the first episode was pretty adorable and looked wonderful. Eager for more.
Jul 7, 2014 4:41 PM
Nov 2013
Wow, this was also beautiful! Is it me or does Madhouse really like to use the color pink A LOT now?
This is my first time ever hearing about Yosakoi dancing, so I'm really hoping there's a lot of that.
Very good first episode, I'll be watching this for sure.
Jul 7, 2014 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
Well that was cute.

Hana's got mad balancing skills.
Would you like to make a contract-er, I mean dance the Yasakoi dance?
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jul 7, 2014 4:49 PM

Nov 2012
the art was mediocre at best, but the rest was pretty good, I do like it a lot
Also love the OP
Jul 7, 2014 5:08 PM

May 2012
Pretty good.

Must say this wasn't half bad. Hana i so cute. Why every time she dances cherry blooms go flying around? Did they do that just to make her look more amazing? Naru is so shy. Must say the animation is beautiful. I think I will keep watching.

4/5.
Jul 7, 2014 5:33 PM

Apr 2014
I really only liked the music, animation and execution of some scenes.

The plot isn't very interesting to me, and I'm not really comfortable with the yuri-ish undertones.
Plus the characters' voices were annoying.

Other than that, it was decent. I'll keep watching and see what happens.
Jul 7, 2014 5:43 PM

Jan 2014
RMNDolphy said:
I enjoyed the episode. Cool layouts and color palate. Fun and cute stuff...

but... IS IT YURI?
yep she definitely wants the .... wait what!

VanishingKira said:
The art and the character's eyes/eyelashes look weird/hideous.

Animation looks terrible for being animated by Madhouse.Aside from the dancing scenes that is.Even that blonde loli has weird eyes :I

The girls aren't cute,except for the blonde loli.
Just an average show about a bunch of average 14 year old girls.
this,just this
Jul 7, 2014 5:55 PM

Aug 2011
Love.

An extremely aesthetically pleasing anime with a catchy OP and fun cast. I felt good after watching this. Real good.
Jul 7, 2014 6:08 PM

Nov 2011
AdamantArcanine said:
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Magical Warfare, Mahouka, No Game No Life, and now this genric moe slice of life bullshit.
Wow Madhouse has had a bad run of shit anime lately.
It saddens me seeing such a respectable studio stoop so low.

Nobody is forcing you to watch it, you're only wasting your own time by picking up something that clearly does not fit your taste.
rederoinJul 7, 2014 6:14 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 7, 2014 6:28 PM
Apr 2013
This was a wonderful first episode that made me really happy to watch. I quite liked the yuri undertones, too - easily could be the gem of the season if the atmosphere, art, and characters keep up their quality.

I have seen scarcely cuter girls than Hana.
Jul 7, 2014 6:36 PM
May 2013
it makes me a little sad seeing most of you saying that they don't care about anything but the artstyle, and the context is nothing, because...

Well, this show really drew me in personally. I find both the main and her new friend unbelievably relatable.

I was like the blonde in high school, with my wierd dances that got me labeled as very wierd, which ended up making me quite a few friends in the end.

And yet I'm like Naru now. I still feel like I don't have much to offer, and feel pretty empty a lot of the time when I'm not with my girlfriend, and so I just want to escape into something that's not real, and I really wish that someone could help bring me more out of my shell.

I've tried to get into a lot of slice of life, and I generally end up feeling nothing from it. This one really has gotten to me.
---

I'm really into anime, but I don't have many people to talk about it with reguarly. So please, add me on AIM: Superrpgman2003 or Skype:Superrpgman. Or just send me a private message here.
Jul 7, 2014 6:50 PM

Jan 2014
Let me start off by saying, SO COLORFUL! It was really cute animation and the blonde girl was simply hilarious. I really like this so far, looking forward to all the moe! :)
Jul 7, 2014 7:06 PM

Feb 2014
It's such a cute and lighthearted story, and the OP and ED are fantastic.
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Jul 7, 2014 7:18 PM

Aug 2013
I saw this on Dynasty Scans a couple of months ago and saw that, though there's a "Lots of Blushing" tag, it didn't have any Yuri tag which meant only one thing...

SET YURI GOGGLES ON MAX!

And next episode's title is Jealousy Rose. Good stuff good stuff *nod nod*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 7, 2014 7:44 PM

Jul 2011
Yes! I guessed right. It turned out to be something decent after all.

Animation, especially scenery was gorgeous. And I LOVE the OP/ED. The traditional music flair was a great addition.

Crapload of blushing, but we even got some music (the band) and a teaser of the dancing. Glad I was drawn in by "yosakoi dance". :D
Jul 7, 2014 8:20 PM

Jan 2011
liked it Man madhouse has gone full Vivid with NGNL now this

guessing this is the cute girls doing cute things of the season fine by me i guess also Yaya's band was a little to good for a K-on club lol
Jul 7, 2014 8:30 PM
Aug 2011
Those two pointy fangs.

Looking forward to the dancing.
Jul 7, 2014 8:43 PM

Sep 2013
damn hana she got incredible parkour skill
Jul 7, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
So cute, pls. This gives me the same sort of fuzzy warm feeling as Isshuukan Friends did. xD

I was not expecting Hana to possess such physical capability...

Got my yuri goggles ready.
Jul 7, 2014 9:22 PM

Jan 2008
So is this the cute girls doing cute things anime of this season or am I missing a show?
Jul 7, 2014 9:36 PM

Apr 2008
The backgrounds are pretty but the character designs are fairly unappealing. Hana is irritating and I feel like we can do without Yaya being aorund.

Not sure if I want not actually cute girls doing cute things.
Jul 7, 2014 10:04 PM

Jun 2013
Bishoujos, Moe, soft yet vibrant color palette, dancing, slice of life...

Between Akame ga Kill, Tokyo Ghoul, Zankyou no Terror, Argevollen, Aldnoah.Zero, and SAO II, this will serve as a nice interlude between all the chaos. I'm not counting on Glasslip to stay lighthearted either. However, this might get emotional too, if this episode was any indication. At least it's a break from the explosions and death, lol.
-Trippwire-Jul 7, 2014 10:18 PM
Jul 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
the whole joining-the-club thing was dragged out too long. but it still might turn out to be a nice series, the visuals look great at least!
Jul 7, 2014 11:21 PM

Jun 2013
I really liked the opening song, and the environment of the anime, super pretty.

Hana really looks and sounds like a character that Touyama Nao would voice lol if that makes sense

I look forward to more, this looks like a promising fun series
Jul 7, 2014 11:28 PM

Apr 2012
Great insert song. The animation/ lighting is pleasing to the eyes. On the fence on this one. Just looks like cute girls doing cute things show >_>.

Jul 8, 2014 3:10 AM

Mar 2012
Wow this one was a quick let down.

I was expecting some sort of magical girl anime, I got cute 14 years old chicks doing cute things with heavy yuri subtexts may I add. Def not what I'm here for.

The art is mediocre IMO, what's with these weird eyelids ? Is it supposed to be make-up or si the chara designer just helpless ?

Its sole saving grace is the OST, really, not enough to deter me from dropping it though.

So, so disappointed. 2/5

Jul 8, 2014 3:12 AM

May 2014
Criska said:
... what's with these weird eyelids ? Is it supposed to be make-up or si the chara designer just helpless ?
Madhouse can't do moe, I don't know why they did this.
Jul 8, 2014 3:18 AM

Aug 2013
Main girl doesn't realize she's already cute, hmm.
And I actually thought Hana was some sort of a supernatural being for being able to do those jumps.

Cute stuff, will continue watching.
Jul 8, 2014 3:35 AM

May 2013
Picked up.

Madhouse at its finest. The animation is gorgeous, especially the Sakura trees. Liking Hana so far.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 8, 2014 4:20 AM

May 2013
I was very entertained when I saw them dance in the OP.
Hana left a good impression. I like how she's energetic and stays faithful to what she loves - yosakoi.
Jul 8, 2014 4:42 AM

Sep 2007
This is gonna be long and I apologize in advance.

-

I was really looking forward to this series as I danced yosakoi myself for a year, but to me this was a real let-down. There's two kinds of yosakoi: power and elegance. My team is the power-type which is intense and full of shouting and Hanayamata is without a doubt the elegance type which is lovely and often feminine so it's only natural I'm not familiar with this style, yet there are some basics every yosakoi dance style follows and from what I've seen in Hanayamata until now it didn't even follow those basics.

The animation itself is fairly well done. Some questionmarks at the character design and the ridiculous amount of sakura petals but overall it's good. There's been worse. The music isn't half bad either. Nothing very memorable but nice enough to listen to. And still I'm dropping this right now. I know the discussion boards are generally for people who want to agree on loving a series, however people who don't like it should be able to vent their frustrations as well and I've seen some disagree on Hanayamata already so please bear with me.

Naruko is a very contradicting girl. She starts out as indeed a normal 14 year old girl who's kinda cute (her hair style is adorable) and who really wants to account to something in life, she wants to have a passion or be inspiring to people, even dazzling. That's why she adores fairytales, because they're full of characters she wants to be like. However when she got a chance at trying something new, something she found to be very pretty and inspiring, she literally dropped the girl that tried to pull her into that new world. I mean I get why Naru would be nervous but if you randomly stop dancing and your partner falls to the ground they would be hurt. Well, Hana seemed to survived jumping from a freaking cliff and that's anime for you but still.

Then when Hana sees her the next day in class Naru immediately regrets even meeting her because now she's the center of attention and it doesn't stop at just that one time. Yes, that would be nerve-wrecking and yes if you're shy and not sure of yourself someone rudely interupting your school life and publicly harassing you (continually bothering someone is harassing) that should be enough to decide you don't want anything to do with that person. Even though blaming Hana for being passionate about her passion is kind of eh. So why did Naru go up that rooftop anyway? To return the Naruko (that's what the red clap-thingy is called) yes, but the second Hana this time politely asks Naru if she might be interesting in joining her all 14 year old timid Japanese school girl angst breaks loose. No! She can't be like Hana and do something like dancing! It's not possible for her to do anything with her life because she is empty! She doesn't have the courage, she isn't like those characters in her books! She can't be inspiring or do anything inspiring with her life!

And you know that really bothered me. Self-esteem or no self-esteem there's a limit to how contradicting you can be until you're just plain annoying. I mean Naru looked up to her friend Yaya who's amazing at everything her whole life and wished she could be a bit like her but when someone offers to do something amazing she rudely (yes rudely) refused because how could she possibly do anything with her life. I think that's actually just the writer making sure Naru holds up to the Japanese standard for girls, believing every girl should be timid, cute, shy and most of all feminine in all her actions, yet it still doesn't excuse being THAT unsure of yourself. No-one thinks like that unless they're very emotionally unstable and to me Naru didn't come across like that. Not that there's anything wrong with being a little unstable, I mean we're all a little unstable in the end, but this was over the top. That's like Kurosaki Ichigo wanting to protect people and when Rukia offered him her power saying ''Nah, I can't do shit anyway why bother''. See? I realize they're very different characters but the concept is the same, and that concept is crap imo.

So very long story short, Naruko is very poorly written and that's why I won't watch Hanayamata.
Jul 8, 2014 5:24 AM

Jan 2008
Naru is the type of person/character I can't stand. Almost every scene with her left me rolling my eyes and throwing my hands up. Girl, loosen up or somethin', you're so annoying and you are the main character, do I get to deal with your "problems" every episode? Naru PLZ

I'm in the Weird Eyes Gosh Team, those... rectangulars look very eh.

"Petite form, fair hair, is that what they call a fairy?"
Nope, Naru, that's what they call a loli.

I'm wary of Hanayamata for now, because it lacks a certain charm to it and has some annoying or just makes me indifferent about it. But I'm looking forward to dancing and other characters. And maybe Naru will loosen up, gosh, how I hope it's the case.
Jul 8, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
A new yuri to look forward to. I like girl bands so that count too.
Jul 8, 2014 6:39 AM

Nov 2012
Although I usually hate these overly bright graphics with blinding colors, they actually looked alright here. The OST looks beautiful, the anime also portrays a beautiful part of Japanese culture, this anime has everything to be a success for me.

My only problem was... why America of all places?
Jul 8, 2014 6:39 AM

Nov 2009
I actually like Naru character. She's the type of character I want to cheer for. I can understand why some people will find her annoying but Naru needs some time to develop her character and I think that's one goal of this show.

Like Hana said, she's still has a lot of space to fill in something. She may be unlikeable for now but it doesn't mean she has to stay that way forever.
Marina2Jul 8, 2014 6:47 AM
Jul 8, 2014 6:40 AM

Feb 2014
So cute girls doing cute things with some yuri. Okay, I'm in. Madhouse at its finest.
Jul 8, 2014 7:04 AM

Mar 2008
I know I'm just enjoying this because madhouses animation is AMAZING.
Jul 8, 2014 7:05 AM

May 2010
This anime is beautiful! The OP is great, I love how it begins and esp. the music around dance part, I love how the girls dance there. I guess, I will be listening and watching the OP multiple times every week, it is awesome. I like the character designs as well, very original.

That insert song was 'wow' quality. Dem colors, such beauty! This gives me Kiniro Mosaic feels, except with a dancing plot. Lol what kind of Surname Fountainstand is? haha

"Zooglu"

Lovable ED!

And summer season keeps ruining my life, another great anime. What can I say? 9/10. I think it is gonna be like Non Non Biyori, start slow then grow into something unforgettable.
TragicRomanceJul 8, 2014 7:52 AM
Jul 8, 2014 7:20 AM

Jun 2014
The eye shape.. and the exaggerated double eyelid make the eyes look a bit strange but not bad. Cute episode.

Yuka Ootsubo doing a mature character voice!?

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something.....

Ghefira - Sep 5, 2023

0 by Ghefira »»
Sep 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

omega_d94 - Jul 21, 2014

84 by mazuchi »»
Jun 5, 2022 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2014

82 by Atavistic »»
Jan 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

155 by removed-user »»
Jan 21, 2022 5:26 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

76 by Gendolfas »»
Jan 21, 2022 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.