Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 10, 2014 4:43 AM

Jan 2011
„cute girls doing cute things“ of the season. ^^ i like it, that they include this cultural thing „よさこい [yosakoi]“. and i like 浴衣 [yukata]! =D those colors. *_* its funny and sometimes emotional, too. aaand opening and ending are both very good! so this could be a rly great show this summer. =)
Jul 10, 2014 4:46 AM

Jan 2011
Cratex said:
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Lol at how Hana keeps clinging to Naru.
Looks like at least part of next episode will be

PLS dont spoil the next episode! some people doesnt want know anything about the next episode until they watch it. there are spoiler-tags for that. this is the trhread about the 1. episode, not about the 2. one.
Jul 10, 2014 6:22 AM

Aug 2013
Watching this for the yosakoi dance!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2014 6:36 AM

Oct 2013
Naru is so adorable!!
Hope there will be more shoujo ai undertones...
Jul 10, 2014 10:51 AM

Oct 2012
That was ultimately bad... For anime of this type to leave me with literally no emotion in the end I thought something must went horribly wrong.

I usually don't mind but there was simply way too much of bloom, pinky colors and sakura leaves. For some reason their eyelids felt really awkward too. And that dancing in OP screamed of motion capture with animated heads on - very unnatural (I kinda fell into uncanny valley).

Not to mention their high-pitched unpleasant voices and too much of sighing. Main heroine was opposite of cute for me, she was extraordinary dull and Hana being American, well, let's say that both sisters in Kiniro Mosaic had much more appeal to me. I don't know if their seiyuu are to blame but judging from their works I would say it's due to their inexperince.

I really don't know if I can watch this any further.. Madhouse, why?
Jul 10, 2014 11:53 AM

Nov 2012
Mich666 said:
For anime of this type to leave me with literally no emotion in the end I thought something must went horribly wrong.
Has anime of this type left you emotioned in the first ep? Fair enough if so, but still a strange spectation... specially for a SoL

Mich666 said:
I usually don't mind but there was simply way too much of bloom, pinky colors and sakura leaves
Agreed, this seems to be a big problem with anime nowadays, I don't even watch that much, but from the ones I picked this season it really looks like trying to blind the viewer is the new good.

Mich666 said:
Main heroine was opposite of cute for me, she was extraordinary dull
This only means the episode was successful to portray its character as intended :P And Hana worked as a good contrast for this too.
Jul 10, 2014 12:15 PM

May 2013
okanagan said:
Well, according to the Japanese Wikipedia article . . .

It is strange, I see a blank space when I open the spoiler, maybe it is because I am wearing my yuri goggles, now I will wait for Hana to sink her canines on Naru!
Jul 10, 2014 12:54 PM

Apr 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:
T3hSource said:
Madhouse can't do moe, I don't know why they did this.

It feels really try hard moe like a Kyoani series.

And it certainly doesn't feel liek Madhouse.

Oh, how I pity the young anime viewers who grow up with an image of Madhouse that is known for stuff like this, Mahou Sensou and NGNL...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 10, 2014 2:11 PM
Oct 2013
this episode had such a nice, heartwarming atmosphere. Definitely gonna keep watchng this.
Jul 10, 2014 2:30 PM

Apr 2013
Cute and nice imagery there.
Possibly the Cute Girls doing Cute Things Show of choice this season.
Jul 10, 2014 2:32 PM
Aug 2012
So far, I really like how MOST but not all of the characters looked. I could do without the 2 fangs of whatchamacallher and a lower pitched voice actor for her as well.

Already throwing in an "emotional" thing in the first episode doesn't really get me because we have not gotten time to grow with the character so no idea what they did there.

All of my complaints said, I really like the music so far which includes the OP, the ED, and the random song like 3-4 mins into the episode. It just has that hint of Japanese or Chinese which just gets me. Right here. In the kokoro but anyways.

I'll be tuning in again next week to whassup and to see if they're going to play another "rock song" since I'm a sucker for those.
TheFeilong4Jul 10, 2014 2:37 PM
Jul 10, 2014 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
So... The moe show of the season with a ridiculously cute and clumsy main that is so ''normal''? I guess it is..!

To be serious though, I don't really know what is my impression of it. If I could use one word to describe the show... boring? I mean, it had some funny moment and the character are likable (too likable...), but it was so bland. The awkward clumsy girl works on the beginning, but the further it goes, the more annoying it get.

The art is beautiful, but the ''too much colors'' make it look like a wannabe artsy show. It's like there trying to much. The firework scene particuliary had that problem. It was just too much.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 10, 2014 4:01 PM

Dec 2012
Wow that was ridiculously adorable, fluffy, and sweet. The character designs are wonderful. Hana is absolutely hilarious, especially when she ran up in class and was like "I'm here to take you away!" The mystical atmosphere really makes me hope this turns out to be a one of a kind CGDCT.

Edit: Woah one episode in and people are critiquing a simple SOL harder than Attack on Titan. Guess some people can never be happy.
ZekkenshinJul 10, 2014 4:06 PM
Jul 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Dec 2013
Well that was an explosion of cuteness, I'm pretty happy with this opening episode. Much better than boring glasslip. The lines at the end of the episode was really great as well.
Jul 10, 2014 5:48 PM

May 2012
00:48 areumdawo!!

03:43 nice song

06:41 Shinderera da ne

07:59 nope, she's a kunoichi

11:39 another anime transfer student lol

Beautiful backgrounds. <3
7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 11, 2014 12:05 AM

Oct 2013
Good first episode. I didn't paid much attention but will watch more for now.
Jul 11, 2014 4:34 AM

Sep 2007
T3hSource said:
Hiina said:
To return the Naruko (that's what the red clap-thingy is called) yes, but the second Hana this time politely asks Naru if she might be interesting in joining her all 14 year old timid Japanese school girl angst breaks loose.
English please, I want to understand what you meant, mostly the "angst breaks loose".

So I made one typo in my entire post and still you feel like that's something you should point out? Interested of course. And what I meant with ''angst breaks loose'' was how Naru (to me) very suddenly got defensive about why she wouldn't be able to dance with Hana. Like I said before she feels she's too empty to learn something new even though she's is interested in yosakoi and I don't know, just the way she kind of yelled her feelings of uncertainty felt very angsty to me.

T3hSource said:
Hiina said:
No! She can't be like Hana and do something like dancing! It's not possible for her to do anything with her life because she is empty! She doesn't have the courage, she isn't like those characters in her books! She can't be inspiring or do anything inspiring with her life!
This is where I believe you're wrong, she doesn't have to be like Hana, she'll mimic her at the start, sure, but once the basics are set she'll diverge and have a natural development, effort can also make someone beautiful in many ways. Being empty, like it is mentioned is that you can absorb, store a lot of things, both good and bad. I do consider myself "empty" in a way, but when an actual person comes and I find them inspiring, I'm more motivated to do what I can and should, it fulfills a certain need of satisfaction through effort. Naru is in a way the same, so I found her relatable.

How can I be wrong if all I said was how I felt about things. How I feel about Hanayamata is not wrong, it's merely different from your view.
I didn't mean Naru wanted to be like Hana personality-wise, what I meant was Naru wanted to be like Hana because she's doing the thing Naru wants to try without being uncomfortable. She wants to be comfortable while dancing and in this situation it was Hana who was comfortable, so she wanted to be like her and experience that feeling as well. If it had been anyone else I would've used her name.

So because you found Naru relatable you kind of took my criticism personally? Sorry in that case, it wasn't my intention to hurt people.
Let me rephrase it then. Being empty is not a bad thing. Being empty does indeed give you more opportunities to try new things and absorb information with a possible outcome of feeling better about yourself and becoming less empty. That's a natural part of life. What I'm getting at here is that I thought Naru was exaggerating. Not her feelings, you can't exaggerate legitimate feelings of fear/uncertainty, that's not what I was saying. I simply meant she was very unwilling to try and do something out of her comfort zone even though the whole episode we heard her think she would be willing to do something like that to become someone. In short, she was contradicting herself quite a bit at that point. It's like saying you really want a pet dog and when you can have one saying you don't want to after all while actually wanting it.

T3hSource said:
Hiina said:
And you know that really bothered me. Self-esteem or no self-esteem there's a limit to how contradicting you can be until you're just plain annoying.
Naru is an archetype that is made for introvert watchers to attach easily to her, since her outlooks can be quite relatable to people who often reminisce about their life and the world. Hence why she was so normal. She clicked with me as well.

Did you take me for an extravert then? Because actually I'm very introverted and have been all my life, and like you said probably reminisce more about life and the world than extraverted people do, but that doesn't mean I can automatically click with Naru as well. The fact that you could is wonderful, truly, because that's what anime is about (again to me), however I couldn't. Even normal behavior can be very irritating and not everything that's deemed normal is necessarily a good thing. Having little to no self-esteem is unfortunately very common in this world, even though most of that is learned behaviour, and yes that is normal. But it isn't a good thing. It's okay to disagree with something that is normal, but is negative in nature. Naru was not being odd in voicing her feelings, however it can be found annoying. It's not something I'm not allowed to think because you clicked with her and I didn't.

T3hSource said:
Hiina said:
I mean Naru looked up to her friend Yaya who's amazing at everything her whole life and wished she could be a bit like her but when someone offers to do something amazing she rudely (yes rudely) refused because how could she possibly do anything with her life. I think that's actually just the writer making sure Naru holds up to the Japanese standard for girls, believing every girl should be timid, cute, shy and most of all feminine in all her actions, yet it still doesn't excuse being THAT unsure of yourself.
Legitimate criticism, she doesn't feel as human, just homes in the extreme end of the stereotype.

So we agree on this point? Good.

T3hSource said:
Hiina said:
No-one thinks like that unless they're very emotionally unstable and to me Naru didn't come across like that. Not that there's anything wrong with being a little unstable, I mean we're all a little unstable in the end, but this was over the top.
Damn, this is an obvious opportunity to make a true coming of age story, overcoming your emotional angst and insecurity, but that was just solved so we can get to the cute dancing. And yes we can all be unstable, otherwise we wouldn't be flawed beings.

I wrote it like that so I wouldn't offend anyone who is emotionally unstable because I believe no-one should be ridiculed for feelings of uncertainty. I wasn't trying to state something already obvious.

Personally I think it's bad story-telling to solve emotional problems with a flick of the magic anime wand (still speaking English here) and it would also be very minimal to spend only this much time on Naru maturing, so I believe Hanayamata will show some more of her getting around her feelings. I mean you don't solve things like this in one go after all.

Tl;dr
I didn't mean to hurt anyone who might identify as empty, so excuse me if I did, however I'm allowed to find certain behavior annoying and am not obligated to like characters because they're 'only going through a stage of insecurity'. Which is ultimately my reason for not watching the series so rejoice because Hiina's out.
Jul 11, 2014 11:25 AM

Dec 2011
Didn't expect this series to be this so full of emotion. Will watch for yosakoi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2014 12:28 PM

Jan 2011
I really don't know what to think...
This can turn into a lot of things, so it depends on what it turns into. :o
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 11, 2014 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
That was beautiful, i also liked the animation. Madhouse did a great job
Naru is my favorite so far!
Jul 12, 2014 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
I have a feeling that this series will be full of emotional segments. Bring it on~~

In all honesty, I didn't expect Madhouse to pull this one off. Great OST, cute chara design and background.. and... an interesting cast so far. Would love to see at least 4 dances :3
Jul 12, 2014 7:07 AM

Nov 2012
julyan said:
I have a feeling that this series will be full of emotional segments. Bring it on~~

The rooftop scene? Yes it give me feels. Hana is an angel, no doubt.
Jul 12, 2014 9:42 AM
Feb 2013
Not good, not bad.
But I'm afraid it might start to be boring pretty soon.
kcuf
Jul 12, 2014 5:55 PM
Jan 2014
Woa, this show is great!
Glad the MC is not your typical happy-go-lucky yet annoying character.
The art is cute and adorable.
Definitely a must watch SoL in this season.

And oh, hope the yuri undertone will be high, though I kinda doubt it.
Jul 13, 2014 1:40 AM

May 2011
So far so good. The characters all look really cute and the art just seems so beautiful. But that music though <3. The OP, ED, and the bg music all sound terrific.
Jul 13, 2014 11:08 AM

Dec 2011
Fairy... zashiki warashi... alien...
or just a transfer student. Who can jump absurdly high/far.

Beautiful artwork, and a nice heartwarming scene at the end there.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 14, 2014 7:38 AM

Apr 2013
I really love how they draw the eyes.
The only thing that annoys me is Hana's voice. Is she trying to be a siren?
Jul 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Nov 2012
FlamingYu said:
I really love how they draw the eyes.
The only thing that annoys me is Hana's voice. Is she trying to be a siren?
Well, she's metaphorically a fairy so...
Jul 14, 2014 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
That was an enjoyable first episode with some interesting cast, wonderful ost and some truly colorful backgrounds that are pleasing to the eye. Alright on two episode two.
Jul 14, 2014 4:39 PM

Jul 2012
Cute anime~! x3
Cute characters~! xD
Awesome story~! owo

Can't wait to watch the rest of this~! D:
Jul 16, 2014 4:35 PM

Dec 2010
I didn't really get anything from this episode, but maybe I'll watch this in the days there's nothing to watch. The next episode looks promising.
Jul 18, 2014 6:51 AM

Aug 2013
Moe everywhere
Jul 18, 2014 6:27 PM

Jul 2012
Overdose of moe @___@ Promising first episode. I don't like this that much because there's too many girls and they all sound screechy.

Spectacular animation as usual, Madhouse.

Oh wow, all the anime this season are trying to go for the watercolour look (the ED)
Jul 18, 2014 7:17 PM
Apr 2014
Alot of Yuri overtext. So moe.
Jul 22, 2014 12:13 AM

Jul 2011
KAWAII~!!
Jul 22, 2014 10:58 AM

Aug 2007
O.o I like the anime and the atmosphere of it. Looks interesting.
Jul 27, 2014 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
I liked this 1st episode even though I don't care a lot about the plot.
I actually love Hana (she's too cute) but the most beautiful thing about this anime is the color. It's all so bright and beautiful.
Jul 29, 2014 12:32 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't expect the first episode to be so emotional! The artstyle is wonderful and the OST feels really natural.
The seiyuu cast is wonderful! Love the OP!

I can only come up with positive thoughts based on the first episode!
Aug 2, 2014 11:59 PM

May 2012
Ugh... why does it have to look so PRETTY~
Seriously, the only reason I even decided to check out the 1st ep is the colors and art style, it looks so bright and cute and pretty and the eyes are so unique and I like the character design overall... BUT... I have a feeling I'll end up dropping this one. I was mostly just annoyed throughout the episode. :P too much whining and "boohoo will I ever be dazzling... boohoo FML...", and "cute girls doing cute things" just isn't really interesting/deep enough for me. But oh too much kawaii~

well, 2nd ep here we go...
Aug 11, 2014 9:20 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad so far but it's going to take a while before I get used to the art.
Animation form Mad House is spectacular as always ^^

Sep 20, 2014 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Although it's embarrassing to say, I am moved to see him.
Episode full of melancholy, but also well counterbalanced with a lot of sympathy.
Plot simple, straightforward and the kind that I like. Narrative that speaks to the heart ... ahh !!!
Drawings very nice and well made, original character design, but not as bad as I thought.
Animations good, I hope that the study does not Madhouse savings on budget.
For now, do not judge the main characters.
The vote for the TV series, for now it is 7/10!
Sep 27, 2014 10:59 AM

Feb 2014
I really like the art and animation in this. It's bright, colourful and crisp. Going by the characters' eyes, I thought this was from Sunrise, not Madhouse.
Naru was moe as hell and reminds me a little of Mio from K-on.
Hana was, well, your typical genki girl. And I will never understand how canine fangs sticking out is supposed to be cute.
As for the episode itself, even though I can relate a bit to Naru and her feeling of emptiness, I just couldn't care much about any of the characters and the story. Hope that changes from in the next episodes.
Sep 29, 2014 4:31 PM

Oct 2013
Though I just finished the series, I decided to watch it through again. It's often the case that I notice things I missed the first time.

Somehow, I forgot that Naru visited Tami's house just before meeting Hana for the first time , and Machi is in the first episode but only has one line.

It was a nice touch that the policeman that helps Hana in the finale yells at the kids walking on the bridge railing and later pursues Hana, who accidentally falls on Yaya.
Sep 29, 2014 6:31 PM

Jun 2013
Hmmm i just finished Locodol so i was looking for another cutesy anime, and this one looks pretty cute with a nice friendship story.... count me in :)
Sep 29, 2014 11:27 PM

Jun 2011
Their voice hurts my ears. And the eyelid.

"Sorry I misunderstood you.."
Yeah right, she rejected you for a whole day.

Why isn't this tagged as supernatural? The girl could jump meters above the ground.

Both OP and ED are nice.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 5, 2014 6:20 PM

Dec 2013
Really good episode to start the anime.

Liked everything and the story seems interesting although is just starting. But definitively caught my attention.

OP and ED good enough.

Also the color is a plus.
Nov 2, 2014 2:47 PM

Dec 2011
Winter is coming when I started to watch this series, and a stream of warmth filled my frozen soul as petals of sakura flow in the screen.

Hana-chan, with that friendliness and warm smile, reminds me a lot of Honoka-chan from Love Live.
Nov 15, 2014 10:13 AM

Sep 2013
These 14 year olds had more drama in this episode than I've had in my entire life XD WTF!
Nov 28, 2014 7:18 AM

Dec 2012
Does this get better? I wanted a casual SoL not a pseudo drama that tries too hard. Also the smile of the blonde girl for some reason really annoys me, looks so dumb.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Dec 6, 2014 11:20 PM
Nov 2013
So cute characters maybe that's the reason I have started watching this show.
Story looks interesting and Character are very appealing
but it's bit cliche, transfer student forming club and I know what's gonna come next
hope i don't waste much time on this anime

Only thing I like the most in this is Animation and OP so far.....
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something.....

Ghefira - Sep 5, 2023

0 by Ghefira »»
Sep 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

omega_d94 - Jul 21, 2014

84 by mazuchi »»
Jun 5, 2022 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2014

82 by Atavistic »»
Jan 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

155 by removed-user »»
Jan 21, 2022 5:26 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

76 by Gendolfas »»
Jan 21, 2022 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.