Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2014 5:35 AM

Jun 2011
While rating an anime, do you allot equal weightage to every component (story, visuals, audio etc.) or do you tend to allot more weightage to a specific component such as story? In other words, do you value one component over the other?

If an anime has, say, eye-candy art and top-notch animation, background score and voice acting but considerably lacks in the departments of story and characterization, will your score be accordingly low by a significant margin or will you be willing to overlook the shortcomings in storytelling and characterization owing to the visual and aural treat it offers? Conversely, if an anime excels in the departments of story and characterization but has mediocre to poor animation and forgettable soundtracks, will your score be reflective of that or will you give it a high score based on the brilliance of the story and characters alone?

I brought this up because I have heard people here and elsewhere say that for them the technical aspects like art style and animation do not matter much as long as the story’s execution and characters are good. Then there’re those who tend to drop and/or steer clear of shows that do not appeal to the eyes, and even if they do manage to complete a given show they tend to lower the score by a significant margin because of the ‘not-so-good’ art style/animation. As for me, I don’t have a hard-and-fast system of rating as such but I think I mostly belong to the former category of valuing the ‘content’. I can’t bring myself to rate a show high if at the end of the day it has poor plot execution and the characters are not likeable even if it offers eye-candies and eargasmic soundtracks. This is not to say that I don’t appreciate good art and music in an anime or that I don’t take into account these components at all while rating it but I can’t let them curry favour me and turn a blind eye to the shortcomings in the other aspects.

However, lately I have been wondering whether or not valuing one component over the other is the right thing to do. After all, anime is both storytelling AND visual medium. As such, should we not judge it accordingly? Why should we give a particular component more importance in comparison to the other? Is it alright to rate a show 10/10 solely on the basis of how good its story and/or characters are while it has sloppy character designs and bland backgrounds, and then rate a show 3/10 because of cliched plot, annoying characters and other criticisms we generally throw at works of fiction in spite of it being aesthetically pleasing?

Curious to know what others have to say.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 5, 2014 5:39 AM

Jan 2014
Story
Then OST
Then art and animation
Unless there is glorious choreography, which makes it as good as.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 5:42 AM

Mar 2008
Is the swan beautiful because it eats algae and grass? Does the musician make beautiful sound because she defecates on a cushioned toilet?
All things have their way.

The sum of its ingredients do not make a whole; the whole is greater than its parts.
Feel for the rating with your heart in mind.
Find its soul, and then will you know its true value.
Jul 5, 2014 6:03 AM

Oct 2010
I rate on the whole, since the percent of contribution of each part varies among different shows.
Jul 5, 2014 6:59 AM

Feb 2013
_Rika said:
While rating an anime, do you allot equal weightage to every component (story, visuals, audio etc.) or do you tend to allot more weightage to a specific component such as story? In other words, do you value one component over the other?
i like to think i don't, but prolly i'm biased
i go on the assumption that everything is average unless proven otherwise, and everything that makes a really positive/negative impression gets a plus or a minus to the final score;
i think of story, visual, audio, etc individually only if they stand out, and i guess that less technical points tend to stand out more.. hence the bias

_Rika said:
If an anime has, say, eye-candy art and top-notch animation, background score and voice acting but considerably lacks in the departments of story and characterization, will your score be accordingly low by a significant margin or will you be willing to overlook the shortcomings in storytelling and characterization owing to the visual and aural treat it offers? Conversely, if an anime excels in the departments of story and characterization but has mediocre to poor animation and forgettable soundtracks, will your score be reflective of that or will you give it a high score based on the brilliance of the story and characters alone?
the first one would probably be an 7-8; closest ones i can think of are Red Data Girl which i rated 8, and Girls und Panzer which i rated 7
the second would probably be a 9-10; closest ones i can think of are Samurai Flamenco, which i rated 9, and Welcome to the NHK, which i rated 10 (tho it had a very cool ending theme)
this is a 5 star rating system (6-10) btw

_Rika said:
I brought this up because I have heard people here and elsewhere say that for them the technical aspects like art style and animation do not matter much as long as the story’s execution and characters are good. Then there’re those who tend to drop and/or steer clear of shows that do not appeal to the eyes, and even if they do manage to complete a given show they tend to lower the score by a significant margin because of the ‘not-so-good’ art style/animation.
yessssh the worst of the first kind are those who only have mid-high budget series in their favourites & 10's, and of the second kind are those who use Code Geass or Shaft as negative examples

_Rika said:
As for me, I don’t have a hard-and-fast system of rating as such but I think I mostly belong to the former category of valuing the ‘content’. I can’t bring myself to rate a show high if at the end of the day it has poor plot execution and the characters are not likeable even if it offers eye-candies and eargasmic soundtracks. This is not to say that I don’t appreciate good art and music in an anime or that I don’t take into account these components at all while rating it but I can’t let them curry favour me and turn a blind eye to the shortcomings in the other aspects.
what you say makes sense, but for me a superawesome OP/ED, or really nice animation/character design/art style that enhances the emotional impact of a rather generic plot, kinda counts as a bonus point (which is usually substracted from somewhere else ) @w@

_Rika said:
However, lately I have been wondering whether or not valuing one component over the other is the right thing to do. After all, anime is both storytelling AND visual medium. As such, should we not judge it accordingly? Why should we give a particular component more importance in comparison to the other? Is it alright to rate a show 10/10 solely on the basis of how good its story and/or characters are while it has sloppy character designs and bland backgrounds, and then rate a show 3/10 because of cliched plot, annoying characters and other criticisms we generally throw at works of fiction in spite of it being aesthetically pleasing?

ofc it's alright ;p as it's YourAnimeList

also i don't know if you're familiar with the Eurovision Song Contest, but i feel the same dilemma there; during the actual contest, i can't rate (and make predictions) just by the music, as the stage show&performance are also important factors
inb4 no replies ;_;
Jul 5, 2014 7:00 AM

Jul 2010
I have my own system of rating that looks like this:

0-3 points Characters (presence, development, personality)
0-2 points Story (premise, pace, twists, conclusion, theme)
0-2 points Enjoyment value
0-1 point Art, Animation, Effects
0-1 point Sound, Voice Acting
0-1 point Value Section (Rewatchability, Memorability)

I'm using 0,25 point system and you can see that I value characters, story and enjoyment more than art, animation or sound. This way, even some poorly animated anime with mediocre sound can get higher ratings if they have good plot and characters which are most important factors in anime for me.
Jul 5, 2014 7:18 AM

Mar 2008
I rate based on enjoyment and that's it.
Jul 5, 2014 7:19 AM

Feb 2010
I don't care much about these mathematical rating systems that calculate the correct score to give based on various aspects. It's impossible to grasp the whole picture and whenever I read reviews like that I just stop reading them because there's nothing valueable to gain from those, imo. It's like a review of a picture that is divided into reviews for each individual color. I'd rather go with my intuition combined with just checking shows with the same rating and thinking it's either worse or better than this.
I only somewhat apply it for music videos which can be divided into instrumental and video (and occasionally lyrics/delivery) because MVs are a lot simpler than a whole TV series or movie.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 5, 2014 7:26 AM

Oct 2012
Does it have mecha? ----> Yes -----> 10

Does it have mecha? ----> No ------> 1
Jul 5, 2014 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
I take a coin.
Flip it 10 times.
I'll try to call heads or tails before flipping it every turn and if I guessed right, +1.
Keep doing it until the action has been done 10 times.
Add the total number of times I was right.
Jul 5, 2014 7:53 AM

May 2014
I value characters, then story the most. Those are among the most subjective.
Then we I reflect on my enjoyment satisfaction with the time spent.
Finally I look superficially over the technicalities and if they were hindering or improving the experience.
Jul 5, 2014 8:01 AM

Jun 2012
I used to rate on artstyle 10%, characters 28%, story 40%, and music 22%, but I realized thats just a waste of time. Im just giving it a score and its not like Im doing a review for it. So now I just rate on enjoyment.
Jul 5, 2014 8:47 AM

May 2013
story
character traits/ development
animation/ art style
finally the entertainment/ did i enjoy the series? did it give me any kinda feels

usually how i rate my anime :D
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
Jul 5, 2014 8:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I rate based on whether I fucking liked it or not? Is that so complicated? :>
Jul 5, 2014 8:53 AM

Jun 2014
ThisNameSucks said:
I take a coin.
Flip it 10 times.
I'll try to call heads or tails before flipping it every turn and if I guessed right, +1.
Keep doing it until the action has been done 10 times.
Add the total number of times I was right.
you monster lol. (i hope youre kidding).

I just rate on enjoyment. So mostly the plot/story, art/animation, not too picky about characters unless theyre all flat or annoying. I basically decide whether is deserves a superior score (9-10), a good score (6-8) or a bad score (1-5), and then I compare the anime to other anime on my list go assign the exact score. "Anime X was better than anime Y, and just as good as anime Z, so X gets the same score as Z"
Jul 5, 2014 9:01 AM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:

The sum of its ingredients do not make a whole; the whole is greater than its parts.

Spoken like a true Gestalt theorist.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 5, 2014 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
I don't write reviews so I just rate based on enjoyment.

I can see you

Jul 5, 2014 9:30 AM

Oct 2013
Based on personal enjoyment.
Jul 5, 2014 9:32 AM

Mar 2014
-Riptide- said:
Based on personal enjoyment.
Jul 5, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2010
After finishing a show, I'll look at similar shows I've watched and check out if the new show was better or worse. If the show is completely unique, then I'll rate accordingly to how much it impressed or insulted me.
Jul 5, 2014 9:33 AM
Sep 2013
Anyone who believes that their ratings aren't subjective is a retard.
The end is nigh

Jul 5, 2014 9:35 AM

Feb 2013
Massive_Cunt said:
what if one would rate exclusively according to japanese TV ratings and dvd/bd sales ;^) very objective
Jul 5, 2014 9:38 AM
Sep 2013
romagia said:
Massive_Cunt said:
what if one would rate exclusively according to japanese TV ratings and dvd/bd sales ;^) very objective

I'd like to meet someone who actually does that.
And brutally murder them.
The end is nigh

Jul 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Feb 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I don't care much about these mathematical rating systems that calculate the correct score to give based on various aspects. It's impossible to grasp the whole picture and whenever I read reviews like that I just stop reading them because there's nothing valueable to gain from those, imo. It's like a review of a picture that is divided into reviews for each individual color. I'd rather go with my intuition combined with just checking shows with the same rating and thinking it's either worse or better than this.
I agree with this, especially when reading other peoples reviews. When I rate, it's pretty much entirely based on feeling, which is honestly reasonable because a show is more than the sum of its parts and must be looked at as a whole product rather than a bunch of categories.

I do still have a mathematical system, but it is designed to fit the way that I rate and not the other way around. I don't use it to determine my scores, but I do use it to check them sometimes when I feel like the score I gave is off or I'm have trouble deciding between say a 6 or a 7. My mind is very mathematical and while I feel that looking at the whole picture is a more accurate way of rating, sometimes my mind feels like it needs a numerical system to back my feelings up. When I divide a show into sections, I always rate the sections based on their importance for that specific show. For example, plot would be weighted low in a SOL show or soundtrack may be weighted low in a show that went for very minimalistic sounds.
Jul 5, 2014 9:52 AM

Jan 2014
Massive_Cunt said:
romagia said:

I'd like to meet someone who actually does that.
And brutally murder them.

It seems you have not yet encountered FGAU.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 5, 2014 11:24 AM

Oct 2013
I rate mainly according to the total enjoyment. If an anime does bad in some acpect I will also get a bad enjoyment.
Jul 5, 2014 11:33 AM

Feb 2010
Slyr3do0n said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I agree with this, especially when reading other peoples reviews. When I rate, it's pretty much entirely based on feeling, which is honestly reasonable because a show is more than the sum of its parts and must be looked at as a whole product rather than a bunch of categories.

I do still have a mathematical system, but it is designed to fit the way that I rate and not the other way around. I don't use it to determine my scores, but I do use it to check them sometimes when I feel like the score I gave is off or I'm have trouble deciding between say a 6 or a 7. My mind is very mathematical and while I feel that looking at the whole picture is a more accurate way of rating, sometimes my mind feels like it needs a numerical system to back my feelings up. When I divide a show into sections, I always rate the sections based on their importance for that specific show. For example, plot would be weighted low in a SOL show or soundtrack may be weighted low in a show that went for very minimalistic sounds.

When I take a mathematical approach it's more about the % of the show that I enjoyed, as in either the average score for all the episodes in episodic shows (those make it easy for us) or weighing different arcs of a show against each other to see what the average for the show is.

The genre differences you mentioned are the main reason I try to avoid judging stuff like plot and character individually and dislike it in reviews. Unless you're an ass or a bad reviewer you won't rate a s-o-l show lower because it doesn't have an epic plot and the 'plot' section of s-o-l reviews will just say 'not important because s-o-l' or 'surprisingly good for a s-o-l' because it should be obvious that comparing individual aspects across genre borders doesn't make much sense. So why start with that kind of system in the first place, when you are a reviewer?
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 5, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
I don't put a lot of thought into my ratings. While I value writing, art, and music, it's ultimately my enjoyment that determines the score I give to the anime that I watch. It's my list after all - I can be as subjective as I want and not feeling the need to judge it based on multiple criteria.
Jul 5, 2014 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
Well... I rate my anime my own opinion:

First of all I think: How much do I enjoyed the anime?
And the animation, music, characters...?

8. Its an overall
10 its perfect.
6 I like it, but it has a lot of defects.
5. Uf... hate it!
Jul 5, 2014 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
I rate mostly on enjoyment, though the art and story can either lower or increase the score for me, depending on how good they were.
Jul 5, 2014 1:41 PM

Dec 2013
Some magical words. "Don't think, FEEL!"
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 5, 2014 1:42 PM

Dec 2013
Massive_Cunt said:
this
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 5, 2014 1:46 PM
Aug 2012
If I liked it I give it a 2. If I didn't like it I give it a 1. But if it was Mecha or SoL and I liked it I give it a 3. If it was either of those genres and I didn't like it I give it a 2. So I basically have the most objective rating system on MAL.
Jul 5, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2013
FlareStar101 said:
Massive_Cunt said:
this

Um... Highschool DxD Objectively gave me a boner, so I rated it 12/10.... So screw your logic.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 5, 2014 1:53 PM

Jun 2013
BasedGodzilla said:
RedRoseFring said:

It seems you have not yet encountered FGAU.

FGAU is my favorite user on this site, for many reasons. One reason is his dedication to the 11 Things He Mainly Rates On. Another is that according to the stats on his profile, and assuming he's been watching and reading anime and manga at a constant pace since the year 1979, he's consumed anime and manga at an average rate at 7.49 hours of anime/manga per day, every single day, for the last 35 years. Gotta admire that kind of dedication. He's so dedicated, it appears he never even looks at what he's typing before clicking "submit," as evidenced by the fact that ebery sinlge thin ghe pots look sliek th is .

I'm crying right now.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 5, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2014
I trste on enjoyment or over all story. I nevr really notice OSTs or aanimation usuallu.

For those who still don't get it: Animation does not = art or art style
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 5, 2014 1:59 PM

Jun 2013
BasedGodzilla said:
^As you can see, his influence is spreading.

Son wer al goin to tipe lik himr
YandereTheEmo said:
Jul 5, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2014
BasedGodzilla said:
StardustNyako said:
I trste on enjoyment or over all story. I nevr really notice OSTs or aanimation usuallu.

^As you can see, FGAU's influence is spreading.
I typed like this before I joined the forums, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Feb 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Slyr3do0n said:

When I take a mathematical approach it's more about the % of the show that I enjoyed, as in either the average score for all the episodes in episodic shows (those make it easy for us) or weighing different arcs of a show against each other to see what the average for the show is.

The genre differences you mentioned are the main reason I try to avoid judging stuff like plot and character individually and dislike it in reviews. Unless you're an ass or a bad reviewer you won't rate a s-o-l show lower because it doesn't have an epic plot and the 'plot' section of s-o-l reviews will just say 'not important because s-o-l' or 'surprisingly good for a s-o-l' because it should be obvious that comparing individual aspects across genre borders doesn't make much sense. So why start with that kind of system in the first place, when you are a reviewer?
The thing about plot, characters, art, and music is that they are common among all anime and therefore they make it possible to compare them to one another. I can say the plot was more developed in this show, but it was less important in that show. This allows me to compare them without directly saying that one is entirely better than the other which is a more useful comparison in my mind. %enjoyment doesn't make much sense to me. At first I thought you meant that you assigned a percentage to your enjoyment, but enjoyment is more of a complex feeling made up of other emotions that isn't the same between different shows. I enjoyed DBZ differently than I enjoyed Kino's Journey.

It seems what you actually mean is the percentage of the show that you enjoyed, but I think that's the same thing as judging an anime by the sum of its parts. A story needs ups and downs not just high points. There are shows that I've enjoyed a higher percentage of their run time that I've still given a lower rating than others that bored me at times. Again, enjoyment is not a homogeneous feeling and while I can enjoy one show more often, I can still enjoy the other show more.
Slyr3do0nJul 5, 2014 2:08 PM
Jul 5, 2014 2:15 PM

Nov 2013
Any show with strong world building, exploration of relevant topics and themes, an immersive and consistent atmosphere, and/or unique visuals is a plus in my book. Bonus points if it's executed well and shows some creativity. Obviously these all factor into my enjoyment of the show.

Characters and story are factors, but only when appropriate. Music is the cherry on top.
Jul 5, 2014 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
Almost purely on enjoyment. Sometimes I will add/subtract points for other features, usually for the story/characters.
Jul 5, 2014 3:35 PM

Jun 2014
It goes
1.Story
2.Art
3.Audio
I would not take points off if the audio is not good (unless it is horrible), but if it has great audio it might give it some extra points
Jul 5, 2014 3:42 PM

May 2013
_Rika said:

Great art and animation can't carry a series while a great story and characters can.
Jul 5, 2014 6:14 PM
Feb 2014
precious said:
I rate based on enjoyment and that's it.
Jul 5, 2014 6:18 PM

Jun 2012
I spin a wheel and whatever number it lands on is what the show gets.
получить деньги моего друга
Jul 5, 2014 6:26 PM

Jun 2013
syshim said:
I spin a wheel and whatever number it lands on is what the show gets.

I count the number of lolis, and multiply it by the length of my boner, then carefully calculate the series in comparative quality to DxD.
YandereTheEmo said:
Jul 7, 2014 1:42 PM
Mar 2013
Usually I go by story then atmosphere then character then art.
Jul 7, 2014 1:55 PM

Jan 2014
based on the FEELS

Jul 7, 2014 2:00 PM

Nov 2012
I usually don't get that technical or spends hours trying to figure out a rating for an anime. I think if you are watching something for entertainment, there's no need to stress yourself out and pretend to be a professional critic when you aren't even being paid haha.

I rate mostly on enjoyment, and I passively consider animation, story, characters, uniqueness/originality when I'm watching an anime, then judge it as a whole when its over. I don't rank individual episodes or do complicated math to come up with a final average for a show rating..
Jul 7, 2014 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
I don't get technical either. If it feels like a 7 then it's a 7.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What do you think of piracy? ( 1 2 )

ForgotEyeWasHere - Mar 26

88 by DreamWindow »»
31 seconds ago

» How much anime you need to watch until you can keep up with most people?

AdityaRizkiS - Mar 23

47 by KitsuFrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Heyya~ How did you find your favorite anime?

Rinrinka - 12 hours ago

40 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
29 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

8966 by anime-prime »»
38 minutes ago

» Favorite (Villain) Voice Performance in an Anime?

SunlitSonata - Mar 10

23 by Daviljoe193 »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.