Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 7, 2009 4:59 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For some reason, I didn't feel too attached yet. It must just be the overall look of the anime, the art direction an all. The chibi parts look great though.

Hopefully it'll get better as it goes on; well I liked how they didn't dawdle on the first rejection. I wasn't too much of a fan of the op and ed either... maybe I was placing my expectations too high for a first episode.

Loved this part, made my heart leap out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2009 5:14 PM

Nov 2008
The art had a common look, didn't bother me too much but It seemed too slow and bore me a bit.

I like It overall but I have several reasons to why I disliked certain parts of It.

Cute stuff though.

Oct 7, 2009 5:57 PM
May 2009
Pretty cute, really liking the art work especially the things they do with the glasses.
Oct 7, 2009 6:08 PM
Jun 2008
Oh wow, this was not what I was expecting.

At least with how they handle the emotions of the characters.
Oct 7, 2009 6:13 PM
Feb 2009
tehnominator said:

You're right.
Oct 7, 2009 6:42 PM
Sep 2009
this show is actual better than what i thought it would be and i hope it gets even better
Oct 7, 2009 6:43 PM
Jun 2008
Robasama said:
tehnominator said:

You're right.

I was thinking the (manga spoilers up to Volume 3)

It's different, but not bad at all. Very good, actually.
Oct 7, 2009 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
Disliked it - one of the most boring animes I've seen. It'll be the first, and possibly only series I drop this season... Out of 13+ animes and counting.
Oct 7, 2009 7:04 PM
Mar 2009
Hmm... Could have been better, but maybe its the fact that Aoi Hana was so similar just a season ago, 2 yuri friends blabla

The art is also kinda meh, lacks something, or maybe its just because I watched non-HD version

The characters are likeable though, so thats a plus... Will keep watching for sure
Oct 7, 2009 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
First episode was alright, since I'm into these type of Drama. So yea, I'll carry on with this show,............for now =P
Oct 7, 2009 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
I just realized that this is my first shoujo ai series. :O
Hmm, it looks...cute enough. And I hear there's drama. I'm always up for some good drama, so I see no reason not to continue~ But, it kinda bored me a bit.
So...I'll continue in hopes it gets less boring.
Oct 7, 2009 8:20 PM

Jan 2009
One of the few shows to come out this fall that i actually want to finish. Very good first episode.
Oct 7, 2009 8:41 PM

Feb 2008
hmmm...calm and basic.

felt kinda like kashimashi...or started like it. the music wasn't bad either. this is a short one so i think i will watch it.
Oct 7, 2009 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
it was fairly clam and quiet for the plot it had. i thought it was pretty good, and it wasnt too predictable, although there might have been some forshadowing that hinted at how it may end if it goes the obvious way.
Oct 7, 2009 9:35 PM

Sep 2008
burntlettuce said:
One of the few shows to come out this fall that i actually want to finish. Very good first episode.

I second that.

Oct 7, 2009 9:54 PM

Sep 2008
mmm not very interesting, at least this episode, but ill wacth some more, since there seems comedy is going to be included next epi
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 7, 2009 10:01 PM

Aug 2007
is it me, or is shoujo-ai themed anime, really popular, lately?

The episode was pretty good, I'm probably going to follow it to the very end.
Oct 7, 2009 10:20 PM
Nov 2007
I found this to episode to be a interesting start and I hope it will turn into a wonderful story over the twelve episodes of the series.
Oct 7, 2009 10:38 PM

May 2009
I didn't expected the first ep to be so subdued? Its an interesting start.
I love the background music, it really adds to the atmosphere beautifully.
The Op was nice and I laughed a little too hard when I saw that that girl (Kiyori?) was holding a bun.
Oct 7, 2009 10:49 PM
Jul 2008
well I have expected more on comedy part but the show is quite okay compared to their previous work
Oct 8, 2009 12:18 AM

Oct 2008
It was alright for the most part. Different from what I imagined though.

I was hoping for a bit more energy and comedy like the manga. Brighter colors too, the pastel look is too subdued.

I liked the comedy aspect of it from the manga. I really do hope that they keep it that way in the anime.

Too much piano in that episode.
Oct 8, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
Meh. That's all I can say. Hopefully it picks up.
Oct 8, 2009 1:02 AM
Mar 2008
Everything about it felt generic and cliche or w/e, but it was okay. I might keep up with this. Anyways, Janet you're crazy!
Oct 8, 2009 1:21 AM

Oct 2007
I actually liked it :]
Oct 8, 2009 2:09 AM

Sep 2008
It was pretty good, the emotions are a bit more clear in this one than in such as Aoi Hana of last season.
i hope it turns out to be one of the best of the season.
Oct 8, 2009 3:29 AM
Jul 2009
Haven't seen it yet since I don't know who's subbing this consistently with good quality of course.

tttm said:
is it me, or is shoujo-ai themed anime, really popular, lately?

The episode was pretty good, I'm probably going to follow it to the very end.

You're right! I've noticed that a lot of animes this year have a lot of shoujo-ai or more likely yuri elements. (which is what I love most of course!) More like it's getting more attention due to the genre's increasing popularity.
Oct 8, 2009 3:34 AM

Sep 2009
I liked it. It's been a while since I've seen such a drama filled first episode. I will continue watching.

Also...I liked the vocal part for that song that was played right at the beginning.
Oct 8, 2009 3:59 AM

Mar 2008
Wow, this genre finally gets some more attention. After the excellent Aoi Hana we get this. Well, it's by no means a 2nd Aoi Hana, because those two are just like apple and banana, but this one also looks very good. We had a lot of emotion and quite a bit of development in this first episode. Actually this might have been one of the shows that I enjoyed most out of this new season's shows. But then again the next show I will watch is Kimi ni Todoke which is rumoured to be even better.
Episode had some nice and fitting BGM tracks, the chibi parts were great and the two main characters plus the 3rd lunch girl are interesting characters. Especially the scene where the tall girl kicked away the box from the guy who loves her was nice. I am really looking forward to more.

EDIT: I knew it. After watching Kimi ni Todoke I just have to say that
Sasameki Koto is by no means as good.
ForeverOct 8, 2009 4:42 AM
Oct 8, 2009 4:58 AM

Oct 2009
Hi, I am new and I decided to try this anime. I want to see mainly who is going to win: Boy/girl love or girl/girl love. There is no real girl/girl love in the farm lands of Marseille although there might be other weird things going on. There was good comedy like Kazama with her answer to all girls school with drama like in the beginning two girls kissing (never seen that yet in anime). Too bad I cannot write in French, it would be better for me.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 8, 2009 5:09 AM

Nov 2008
The episode was a bit mediocre. The OP was ok I guess, I liked the song, but the animation could have been better at some parts. And I didn't really liked how the whole cast suddenly appeared, a bit out of place imo.

Doesn't Sumi remind you of someone? (Complete Fumi look-a-like with the long, black hair and glasses..) Probably a popular type for shoujo-ai?
So far can't really judge the story, I'll keep watching for now.

And oh, can you spot the trap?
Oct 8, 2009 5:53 AM

Oct 2009
desolato said:
The episode was a bit mediocre. The OP was ok I guess, I liked the song, but the animation could have been better at some parts. And I didn't really liked how the whole cast suddenly appeared, a bit out of place imo.

Doesn't Sumi remind you of someone? (Complete Fumi look-a-like with the long, black hair and glasses..) Probably a popular type for shoujo-ai?

What trap?

Oct 8, 2009 6:04 AM
Dec 2007
Great atmosphere (largely due to an almost perfect direction and music for such a show) and very nice characters, so it seems I'll continue this yuri show a bit after all. It strongly makes me remind of Candy Boy, which is a good thing. Good watch for now, even if I know by experience that I will get bored by this show pretty soon.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 8, 2009 6:18 AM

Jan 2008
desolato said:

I was thinking the vice class rep might really be a chick. That's a reverse trap, isn't it?
Oct 8, 2009 6:23 AM

May 2009
Slow paced, but i liked it a lot. This type of anime is probably one of my favourites.
krjmiismOct 8, 2009 6:28 AM
Oct 8, 2009 6:53 AM

Jul 2008
desolato said:

Really, imo Fumi and Sumi are really similar and gyya, Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are really similar.

But this episode was okay. The animation was cute and the BGM was really nice ! But I'm not that into the characters and the plot is not my faves either. But I'm waiting forward how this will turn out since it's only 12 episodes

Oct 8, 2009 7:24 AM
Jun 2008
Sonja said:
desolato said:

Really, imo Fumi and Sumi are really similar and gyya, Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are really similar.

Er, no...

Sumi and Fumi have this much in common:

+ rhyming names
+ tallness
+ glasses
+ long, black hair

But that's it. Sumi is rough and sarcastic and mean (and later on you see she's a big doof). Fumi is very quiet and gentle and lady-like. They are nothing alike in terms of personality.

And Sasameki Koto is a school comedy/romance. Aoi Hana is a school drama/slice of life/romance. Despite the pretty sombre first episode, the rest of the anime should pick up and head towards the comedy. Or at least, that's what I'd think would happen. Who knows if AIC is planning something else...
Oct 8, 2009 8:15 AM
Feb 2009
If a person who had watched Aoi Hana was to watch this episode and have not seen the manga counterpart, I wouldn't blame them for drawing a comparison between the two anime adaptations. I'd never expected the OP for Aoi Hana to be more up-beat than Sasameki koto's. Never. lol

But to draw a comparison between two certain mains...um...like tehnominator has said, it's only their looks that they share.
Oct 8, 2009 8:45 AM
Nov 2008
The only thing I have to compare this to is Aoi Hana. I dropped Aoi Hana not because I didn't like the characters or the relationships, but because it was too depressing and I would feel really down after each episode. Sasameki Koto seems...better along those lines, but I think I need another episode to decide if it's a keeper.
Oct 8, 2009 8:46 AM

Sep 2007
Forever said:
I knew it. After watching Kimi ni Todoke I just have to say that

I love Sasameki Koto, but Kimi ni Todoke will always be superior, mostly cos of Sawako :D

As for me, I liked the first ep, although at first I thought it lacked the comedy, that I'm already used cos of the manga, but after re-reading the first chapter I realised that there really wasn't much comedy in there XD
Anyways, after getting used to the voices (Sumika's voice in my head always will be Satsuki Yukino), I started liking it, especially Sumika's reactions.

Hope they will speed up a bit, so that the series won't be filled with just angst and emo :)
Oct 8, 2009 9:11 AM
Dec 2008
My first impressions of this series are that I like it. I have high hopes that it will be the highlight of the Autumn season, in the same way that Aoi Hana was last season. I too am glad that the humour present in the manga has been toned down a bit for the animé.

tehnominator said:

I had a feeling you'd enjoy this one Tehnominator!
Oct 8, 2009 10:44 AM

Oct 2009
I really liked this episode. This is going to be my first shoujo-ai series, so it'll be nice to knock that off the list. It seems like this will be pretty good.
Oct 8, 2009 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
For some reason, I didn't feel too attached yet.

This.... :/
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 8, 2009 12:06 PM

Jun 2008
So much drama. It was hard to keep from laughing. I really dislike Kazama but I like the other girl. I guess I will keep watching
Oct 8, 2009 12:16 PM

Aug 2009
Loved the first episode, can't wait for the next one. :)
Oct 8, 2009 12:38 PM

May 2009
I think I liked it. Visuals were nothing special. I haven't seen much shoujo-ai anime so I'm going to keep watching it.
Oct 8, 2009 1:17 PM

Aug 2008
It seems rather more melancholy than the manga. I hope that they make it more of a romantic comedy by the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2009 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
That was a ton more serious than I expected. The pacing also felt kind of weird in the second half but I can't quite put my finger on it. I hope this lightens up as it goes on or I might end up dropping it.
Oct 8, 2009 6:04 PM
Jun 2008
Forever said:

You shouldn't really even be comparing the two. That's like comparing an Olympic sprinter with the captain of your high school track team.

It's not advisable to compare yuri with heterosexual romances, at least not in this generation.

Heterosexual romance in anime has been around since anime was pretty much conceived. It has had time to grow, time to evolve. The writers know what the usual tropes are, know how to work around them, and know how to put out an interesting or involving story that puts spins on the traditions.

Yuri is a developing genre. It started back in the 70s, and it was extremely controversial, barely printed, and had no niche market. It never really was a genre back then, actually, just an element of other genres.

In the 80s, you had it as side elements, in the 90s, it was again mostly a side element that made up the bigger part of an anime's genre. Like Sailor Moon. It was a mahou shoujo/romance/fantasy. But it had SOME yuri in it.

It's only really in the 2000s that yuri itself became an actual genre where entire anime could be based around girls who love girls and they don't just do it for fanservice or comic relief. Nor did all the girls who like girls have to be perverts or deviants or miserable psychos.

It's the same for yaoi. I'd never compare a yaoi anime to a het romance, because if I did, all yaoi would then by default be the worst shit ever and get scores under 5. I wouldn't compare Junjou Romantica with Clannad, nor would I even compare it to Marimite. That's like comparing Rosario + Vampire to Ichigo Mashimaro. Wtf would I do that for? It makes no sense to. You can say that SK and KnT are both romances, but you need to understand that yuri romance is light years behind heterosexual romance because yuri is now taking baby steps.

Yuri stories hardly ever get picked up for anime adaptations or they are extremely short because a lot of magazines get no profit from lesbian manga. Who is the primary audience of anime on the whole? Young men. What will sell more? A sweet little romance about two lesbians or a sweet little romance between a guy and a girl?

(Please don't think I'm bashing anything here, I'm just pointing out some facts. I do intend to watch Kimi etc. myself since it looks exactly like the type of anime I like. And even if you want further supplementation--none of my favourite anime are even yuri anime, so my defence of Sasameki Koto is not a blind over zealous yuri fan rant.)

It's only recently that anime have even started not treating yuri as a gag or service. Actually, Aoi Hana is the ONLY anime out where the character is in fact a lesbian and not some sort of "girl who likes girls because..." (Strawberry Panic doesn't count, since that is a fantasy la la land where men nor common sense seem to exist; Marimite doesn't count either, since none of the girls are lesbians except for Sei). So right, look at that. Aoi Hana: 2009. First case of a legitimate girl who really does like girls actually being a protagonist in an anime. When has that ever happened before?

So comparing a yuri anime with a het romance anime is particularly inadvisable. Compare it with other yuri anime. I'd like to think that some day, yuri will grow as a genre so that yes, we would be able to compare it with het romance which has had infinitely more time to develop as a medium.

tl;dr: Yuri is still taking baby steps. Don't throw the newbie into the ring with the veteran.
Oct 8, 2009 8:07 PM

Oct 2009
tehnominator said:
Forever said:

You shouldn't really even be comparing the two. That's like comparing an Olympic sprinter with the captain of your high school track team.

It's not advisable to compare yuri with heterosexual romances, at least not in this generation.

Heterosexual romance in anime has been around since anime was pretty much conceived. It has had time to grow, time to evolve. The writers know what the usual tropes are, know how to work around them, and know how to put out an interesting or involving story that puts spins on the traditions.

Yuri is a developing genre. It started back in the 70s, and it was extremely controversial, barely printed, and had no niche market. It never really was a genre back then, actually, just an element of other genres.

In the 80s, you had it as side elements, in the 90s, it was again mostly a side element that made up the bigger part of an anime's genre. Like Sailor Moon. It was a mahou shoujo/romance/fantasy. But it had SOME yuri in it.

It's only really in the 2000s that yuri itself became an actual genre where entire anime could be based around girls who love girls and they don't just do it for fanservice or comic relief. Nor did all the girls who like girls have to be perverts or deviants or miserable psychos.

It's the same for yaoi. I'd never compare a yaoi anime to a het romance, because if I did, all yaoi would then by default be the worst shit ever and get scores under 5. I wouldn't compare Junjou Romantica with Clannad, nor would I even compare it to Marimite. That's like comparing Rosario + Vampire to Ichigo Mashimaro. Wtf would I do that for? It makes no sense to. You can say that SK and KnT are both romances, but you need to understand that yuri romance is light years behind heterosexual romance because yuri is now taking baby steps.

Yuri stories hardly ever get picked up for anime adaptations or they are extremely short because a lot of magazines get no profit from lesbian manga. Who is the primary audience of anime on the whole? Young men. What will sell more? A sweet little romance about two lesbians or a sweet little romance between a guy and a girl?

(Please don't think I'm bashing anything here, I'm just pointing out some facts. I do intend to watch Kimi etc. myself since it looks exactly like the type of anime I like. And even if you want further supplementation--none of my favourite anime are even yuri anime, so my defence of Sasameki Koto is not a blind over zealous yuri fan rant.)

It's only recently that anime have even started not treating yuri as a gag or service. Actually, Aoi Hana is the ONLY anime out where the character is in fact a lesbian and not some sort of "girl who likes girls because..." (Strawberry Panic doesn't count, since that is a fantasy la la land where men nor common sense seem to exist; Marimite doesn't count either, since none of the girls are lesbians except for Sei). So right, look at that. Aoi Hana: 2009. First case of a legitimate girl who really does like girls actually being a protagonist in an anime. When has that ever happened before?

So comparing a yuri anime with a het romance anime is particularly inadvisable. Compare it with other yuri anime. I'd like to think that some day, yuri will grow as a genre so that yes, we would be able to compare it with het romance which has had infinitely more time to develop as a medium.

tl;dr: Yuri is still taking baby steps. Don't throw the newbie into the ring with the veteran.

Very interesting facts. Here where I am lots of society itself rejects the yuri concepts of girl/girl love. Blame society would be a good reason and not enough acceptance.

Thanks for info, maybe check out some animes you mentioned.

Oct 8, 2009 8:39 PM

Feb 2008
the brown haired chick looks like a proper size Millay from code geass..
the glasses girl is likeable too.

guess yuri anime not as explicit as yaoi
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarcyD - Dec 30, 2009

127 by euls »»
Apr 14, 12:16 AM

» Who the $@#% thought this was a good way to end this series?!?

KingYoshi - Apr 8, 2013

10 by stockhousing »»
Jan 31, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 4 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Oct 28, 2009

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 12 Discussion

Proselyt - Dec 23, 2009

31 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:46 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Dec 16, 2009

58 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.