Forum Settings
Forums

After reading through Berserk for the second time, it dawned on my why I do not like Vol24-onward

New
Jul 3, 2014 2:42 AM

Dec 2007
This is the direct transformation period of Berserk going from low fantasy to high fantasy; and it is really not something I think was the right direction.

I personally enjoyed Guts feeding on his rage to slay his opponents. Not caring about anything but revenge and hatred. Not giving a second thought at other peoples lives.

I am just not a fan of the new Guts and his merry troupe of social quirky outcasts, it is better suited for a generic shounen. I feel like we will never see the same stellar writing and character development as The Golden Age arc, and that the whole tone and feeling of the Manga has been shifted in a totally opposite direction.

Those are my two cents, disagree as you want. :)
Jul 3, 2014 2:48 AM

Jun 2009
Isn't this exactly the same thing everyone who thinks it used to be better says?
Jul 3, 2014 7:40 AM

May 2014
I personally feel like it is a transition (a long one you might say), Guts is changing it's true but I think it's interesting to see how he manages to do it. Since the beginning I always thought to myself "how could it be possible for a human to defeat a god?" and I think the transition is slowly getting us to the "how". I mean, we clearly saw in the first volumes how Femto disposed of Guts when he tried to attack him. But yeah.. I understand what you mean I also thought the same at first.
Jul 4, 2014 7:07 AM
Apr 2013
I mourn the loss of the old Berserk. I just hope Miura has some grand plan to make it all come together. It's sad when I look forward to the parts with Griffith more than Guts, considering I despise Griffith, just because Griffith's plot is much more interesting.
Jul 4, 2014 11:51 AM

Jan 2014
What is wrong with that? It was always like that...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2014 2:58 PM

Dec 2012
I lost interest in the manga because of the current state of Casca. That and while the recent development of Guts needed to happen, I still don't particularly like it.

The major issue still stands with the hiatus. The plot doesn't seem to have any conclusion in sight. I think it's pretty silly to drag the manga for 100+ chapters.
Jul 9, 2014 11:25 PM

Feb 2013
judals said:

NOPE.....the old berserk did'nt have annoying brats and a stupid elf
Jul 10, 2014 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
Artorias said:
grandy_UiD said:
Isn't this exactly the same thing everyone who thinks it used to be better says?
Possibly? I just really don't like the high fantasy aspects now. I don't like the change of Guts throwing his rage into a gigantic sword while slashing grotesque demons. To a band of heroes with magic armor and weapons buffed by the elements fighting mythical creatures of the "astral" world. (So dumb to make the intercise something so tangible and explained). Guts feels like the odd one out in the world now, and I really do not understand why the tone shifted so much.

There are still remnants of this old structure of the manga like the Skull Knight, and even to a lesser extent the Berserker Armor. But even Griffiths army of demons feel much more light hearted, less gritty and, well....low fantasy.

So you actually wanted Guts to continually kill apostles till he reached Griffith? I really think that would get boring fast and making Guts a rather static character overtime. Thus, I'm really glad he gained his companions to further develop his character.

vongola-undecimo said:
judals said:

FYI, the "stupid" elf is ever-present in the first few chapters of volume 1...just saying.

The only major complaint I had with the series is the state Casca is in for a reaaaally long time now (irregardless of Miura's lax publishing schedule), so I look forward to Elfhelm.
bbboi90Jul 10, 2014 11:29 PM
A piece of my brain just shot out of my weiner!- Onodera Punpun
Jul 12, 2014 4:08 PM

Jul 2014
Big fan of the series (still Am!) and I still can see your point. I'm exactly at the point where the series shifted its tone. There are major changes here with the introduction of magic and Guts's party seems to be sillier than before. However, I think that staying in the same format will eventually become boring and tedious SPECIALLY with such a long running manga.So if perhaps the manga was shorter, maintaining the original tone would have been more possible.
I still love the series despite the changes. I think the transition was pretty smoothly done and not abrupt.The characters are still lovable and very very layered, which is what made me fall in love with the series originally.

Jul 16, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2011
Don't worry OP you aren't the only one I feel the same exact way. There's a point in the manga around vol. 25 where they begin to explain magic and introduce the Berserker armor, from then on the manga has been deteriorating in terms of story. It started to feel more like a Shonen with power levels, nakama recruiting, cute magical girl characters, etc. I always liked the fact that Berserk had a dark low fantasy setting with lots of religious and philosophical undertones.

I still think the manga is good but it's not as good as it use to be. The last arc (pirate arc) is a perfect example of how the manga has deteriorated compared to previous arcs. I mean what was the point of that mini-arc to begin with, mermaid recruiting? They didn't really achieve anything in particular, other than fighting a big ass sea monster that almost killed Guts.

I just hope Miura comes back from his break and finally pushes the story forward in a significant way. That last chapter was a good start but not nearly enough development. They need to get to Elfenheim, Caska's character needs some resolution, and Griffith needs to do more than just play god.
Aug 10, 2014 9:41 AM

Feb 2013
vongola-undecimo said:
judals said:

FYI, the "stupid" elf is ever-present in the first few chapters of volume 1...just saying.
[/quote]

You should know i was referring to the GA arc when i said *old berserk*
Aug 10, 2014 5:17 PM

Sep 2011
grandy_UiD said:

That's because it's true, it was much better when it was low-dark fantasy. The magic and power levels have really eroded what was once a really good Seinen manga. I've re-read Berserk several times and I always come to the same point in the manga, around volume 25, where I begin to lose interest in the story. It feels disjointed from the rest of the manga, like at some point Miura just decided to start another manga in the middle of Berserk. Most people that have been reading this manga for years know what I'm talking about.
Aug 14, 2014 4:58 AM
Oct 2013
What you'd expect? The manga could have ended hundreds of chapters back then. If people want more Berserk chapters, there isn't anymore paths or materials to work with. That's why a transition is needed or else the plotline would be redundant. That would be more boring than the boredom you guys are feeling right now.

Sure, the "old berserk" is better I'd agreed to that too. But like I'd said, if you have a better idea to continue Guts' character and story development without having a repetitive plotline like Bleach and One Piece, then you're most welcome to share.

With more demons means more fantasy. It's proportional. Please don't tell me that you guys expect a low fantasy plot with more demons entering the story. Or are you expecting, like the guy above said, Guts go back to killing apostles again and again until he reach Griffith, who was already a God by that time, and using only a Dragonslayer, managed to kill the Nether Gods (or w/e their name is)? That would be a ridiculous power-up asspull. Guts is growing weaker and weaker, mind you guys, the longer his journey goes yet the demons he fights get stronger and stronger. It would be a mindbreak in the first place if reaches Griffith without dying first without any help from new allies.
Aug 14, 2014 5:07 AM

Nov 2012
its fiiiiiiiine.
guts with companion, and then he was alone, and then he has companion again now.
its fiiiiiiine, its good character development
and i like when miura too lazy to draw puck and he just become fat chibi 'something'
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 14, 2014 9:05 AM

Jun 2010
Honestly I don't feel this way at all. I think likening how it is now to generic shonens is increidbly simple minded. Guts group has been a very complex dynamic from their origins to how they have fleshed out, far more then any Shonen, even my beloved One Piece.

Regardless of those feelings I think its silly to complain about. To me, knowing about the kind of guy Miura is, you can bet the 'shifts' you claim were planned from the beginning. At the very least the mangas name should make that clear, the armor.
Aug 15, 2014 9:13 AM
Jan 2009
The entire tone of the story did change quite a bit but that's because the world itself is changing as is apparent in the recent chapters. Also with Guts aging and having so many experiences behind him it's reasonable to assume his personality would change.

The slow release of chapters is draining but other than that I have no real complaints about the direction the manga is heading in and the chapters are finally becoming a bit more regular which is nice.
Aug 18, 2014 2:38 PM
Apr 2013
What's beginning to bother me is how Griffith is being painted as a divine savior rather than a monster who killed his friends for his own ambition.
Aug 20, 2014 7:17 PM
Oct 2012
vongola-undecimo said:
judals said:

Yeah, these added characters transformed Berserk to a more light-hearted
series, along with the introduction of magic and more generic "fantasy" elements.
Thought it still does have some dark moments, that's all they are, dark "moments."
Aug 21, 2014 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
I just miss that brutality and Guts yearning for revenge against Griffith. It seems they strayed too far away from that.
Aug 24, 2014 11:06 AM

Mar 2010
It just goes to show that Griffith and Guts are very crazed and twisted.

I just hope this manga ends with guts annihilated or forever tortured. Thus BERSERK

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 26, 2014 5:23 PM
Apr 2013
Guts definitely will not have a happy ending.
Aug 31, 2014 10:40 PM

Feb 2013
LuciferIAm said:
Honestly I don't feel this way at all. I think likening how it is now to generic shonens is increidbly simple minded. Guts group has been a very complex dynamic from their origins to how they have fleshed out, far more then any Shonen, even my beloved One Piece.

Not really,other than guts/Casca,there's no "complex" dynamic

Loli Witch-Shit happens,leaves Home,has a crush on Guts

The Chick-Shit happens,leaves home,wants to atone for her sins,has a crush on Guts

Serpico-Pyro's bodyguard

Konohamaru 2.0-Wants to be as strong as Guts

Fairy-erm........I guess he has some purpose
Sep 3, 2014 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
I secretly wish Miura is just building up Gatts' party so he can kill them off in the most horrifying manner possible in order for Gatts to really go full insane rampage mode.
Sep 4, 2014 11:40 AM

Sep 2011
vongola-undecimo said:
LuciferIAm said:

Not really,other than guts/Casca,there's no "complex" dynamic

Loli Witch-Shit happens,leaves Home,has a crush on Guts

The Chick-Shit happens,leaves home,wants to atone for her sins,has a crush on Guts

Serpico-Pyro's bodyguard

Konohamaru 2.0-Wants to be as strong as Guts

Fairy-erm........I guess he has some purpose

Oh gawd, it just dawned on me that Berserk is slowly becoming a harem...
Sep 4, 2014 11:51 AM
Oct 2013
Lynx_7 said:
I secretly wish Miura is just building up Gatts' party so he can kill them off in the most horrifying manner possible in order for Gatts to really go full insane rampage mode.

He'll be dead in a few minutes if he does that. Though you're idea is quite interesting and I wanna see that if possible.
Sep 14, 2014 1:36 PM

Jun 2012
MEsoJD said:
I just miss that brutality and Guts yearning for revenge against Griffith. It seems they strayed too far away from that.

I'm sure the time for that will come eventually, probably after one piece is over :D

I think it's good to have changes, if it was always the same, these exact same people would probably say it became boring or something :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 18, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.