Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 2, 2014 5:45 PM

Mar 2014
Kanade arrives before Otonashi because after Otonashi dies his organs, all of them were donated to different people. So in asense he was still alive because other people had his other organs. So his soul was trapped in Earth or in between Earth and Afterlife.

Kanade got Otonashi's heart. I'm no doctor but I imagie the heart, out of all donatable organs, including eyes, is the hardest to keep going after a transplant. Therefore, after Kanade died, the prson with Otonashi's eyes, or kidneys probably lived at lleast a few years longer. Sowhile hisbody was still "alve"so was Otonashi (Or, again, He was trapped in between.)

just a theory.

BQ: At this point do you think we'll get a remake? The show is so popular ("It sucks, get over that mediocre show OP" OP: You get over NGNL THEN YOU CAN COME AT ME!)

"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 2, 2014 5:46 PM
Aug 2012
I don't remember any potholes
Jul 3, 2014 11:32 AM

Mar 2014
Title fixed, please take this seriously! =p
Jul 3, 2014 12:26 PM

Mar 2014
He was sying my title had a mispelling in it, which I fixed >.>
Jul 3, 2014 1:19 PM

Dec 2013
StardustNyako said:
BQ: At this point do you think we'll get a remake? The show is so popular ("It sucks, get over that mediocre show OP" OP: You get over NGNL THEN YOU CAN COME AT ME!)
It su-..........cockblocker ;-;
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 3, 2014 1:20 PM

Mar 2014
See, even 13 episode shows can have us fall crazy in love with them

-hugs- It's Ok

Can we please get on topic now?
Jul 8, 2014 9:03 PM

Oct 2009
I didn't know that was a plot hole. The whole thing about her having his heart made so little sense that I refused to entertain that as a possible plot point. No way they expected anyone to buy that.

The only way that it could make sense is the way in which you describe. They must have thought it was so obvious that they didn't need to mention him being kept alive in a hospital for a while.
Jul 8, 2014 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
The only explanation is "key magic". Well the VN is being made right now so maybe it will explain that.
Jul 9, 2014 11:00 AM

Mar 2014
Chopstick said:
I didn't know that was a plot hole. The whole thing about her having his heart made so little sense that I refused to entertain that as a possible plot point. No way they expected anyone to buy that.

The only way that it could make sense is the way in which you describe. They must have thought it was so obvious that they didn't need to mention him being kept alive in a hospital for a while.
Understandable. Not the first time someone has rejected that part even happening.

I did not mean in a hospital. I mean, well he's deaad, but his soul was still in his body, which is buriedvunderground or cremated (Well then his soul was, somewhere. ) Point being, he was not in a hospital (Not in this theory.

-Riptide- said:
The only explanation is "key magic". Well the VN is being made right now so maybe it will explain that.

VN release date is undetermined as of April

To the person who's dream I crushed by telling him this at 3 AM one night on the IRC chat

I'm so sorry.
Jul 9, 2014 5:28 PM

Oct 2009
ohhhhhhhhhh

I get it now. Cause the him being alive in a hospital part wouldn't have worked if they took his heart out which would have killed him immediately. I guess I didn't read your second sentence because that rather concisely explained it.

That makes better sense than anything else I can think of, though I'll probably need to watch it a few more times to see if they hint at that happening anywhere. I only watched the last episode once and when I didn't understand what they were talking about I didn't rewind it.
Jul 9, 2014 6:21 PM

Mar 2014
Chopstick said:
ohhhhhhhhhh

I get it now. Cause the him being alive in a hospital part wouldn't have worked if they took his heart out which would have killed him immediately. I guess I didn't read your second sentence because that rather concisely explained it.

That makes better sense than anything else I can think of, though I'll probably need to watch it a few more times to see if they hint at that happening anywhere. I only watched the last episode once and when I didn't understand what they were talking about I didn't rewind it.
It's never hinted on the story. I just guessed. Seriously.

BasedGodzilla said:
It's always been my understanding that we're expected to assume time in the Angel Beats! purgatory is non-linear; Otonashi may have died first, but his arrival at the High School of the Dead need not necessarily have been before Kanade's.

...Personally, I think it's stupid, but most people seem to accept it without much trouble.

They probably wanted to explain it, but had no time.

As a stand alone theory, the non linear theory to me is kinda off because, well, fuck. Unless they could explain the ideaa of theAfterlife time being non linear, that theory is really hard to accept because of how complex and unheard of it is. They never hint at non linear time, so assuming it exsists in the Afterlife is quitwe out there IMO
Jul 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2014
Did they really disappear and go to heaven or something? Then why Hinata and Yui hoping that they'll meet and get married? I thought they went into that world bcuz they died and regrets their past lives, am I missing something?
Jul 13, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2014
blessofcurse said:
Did they really disappear and go to heaven or something? Then why Hinata and Yui hoping that they'll meet and get married? I thought they went into that world bcuz they died and regrets their past lives, am I missing something?
Not sure why you are asking this . . .but I believe they were most likely reincarnatted as you think, based on ,as you pointed out, the hopes they had of remeeting in the new world. They probably remember each other because for sou reincarnation, wouldn't yiu need to be the sameperson (Same soul) with the same memories? KJust locked away?
Jul 13, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2014
StardustNyako said:
blessofcurse said:
Not sure why you are asking this . . .but I believe they were most likely reincarnatted as you think, based on ,as you pointed out, the hopes they had of remeeting in the new world. They probably remember each other because for sou reincarnation, wouldn't yiu need to be the sameperson (Same soul) with the same memories? KJust locked away?
still confuse but thx anyway , I really want to liked this anime but I can't ignore those plotholes.
Jul 14, 2014 8:38 AM
Dec 2013
blessofcurse said:
StardustNyako said:
still confuse but thx anyway , I really want to liked this anime but I can't ignore those plotholes.

People who died and had regrets in their lives go to the afterlife to "graduate" from their lives, there they can do what they wanted to do in that life and then go on dying, and be reborn in the world. How that Otonashi dies and goes to the afterlife can be something like the brain has survived for longer than the heart has, which is not the case as far as I know.

AFTER they graduate though they are reborn in the world, and they retain a bit of their memories in the afterlife (hence the ending of the last episode with both kanade singing the "my song" and otonashi reacting to it).
Jul 14, 2014 8:52 AM

Nov 2012
Maybe he didn't end up in the after life right away and was floating in a limbo for some time before going there?
Jul 14, 2014 9:11 AM

Mar 2014
MiniLion said:
Maybe he didn't end up in the after life right away and was floating in a limbo for some time before going there?

This has been theorized, however my thing with this is, if he was floating around, why does he not remember it? Perhaps he was unconcious the whole time. There's nothing to prove this right or wrong.
Jul 14, 2014 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
My theory is that Kanade wasn't actually dead but in a form of coma like a near death experience, meaning she was stuck in the "afterlife" because she wanted to thank the one who's heart she had. And the scene at the end is nothing but Kanade humming My Song and the soul of Otonashi responding as part of him is in Kanade.

I know it's far fetched but it could work, I've watched Angel Beats multiple times now 1.) because it is one of my favourite anime of all time and 2.) due to this "plot hole".

So anyway this is what I've came up with not sure if it's a good theory but it seems to work for me.
Jul 14, 2014 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
JollyChap said:
My theory is that Kanade wasn't actually dead but in a form of coma like a near death experience, meaning she was stuck in the "afterlife" because she wanted to thank the one who's heart she had. And the scene at the end is nothing but Kanade humming My Song and the soul of Otonashi responding as part of him is in Kanade.

I know it's far fetched but it could work, I've watched Angel Beats multiple times now 1.) because it is one of my favourite anime of all time and 2.) due to this "plot hole".

So anyway this is what I've came up with not sure if it's a good theory but it seems to work for me.

By the time Otonashi would have been reborn and grown to the age he appeared in the end, Kanade would be like, 30 something.
Jul 15, 2014 11:22 AM
Dec 2013
StardustNyako said:
JollyChap said:

By the time Otonashi would have been reborn and grown to the age he appeared in the end, Kanade would be like, 30 something.

Kanade did have a regret in other words she was supposed to be there. Just it was hard to fulfill that regret. In the end hou can see the people vanishing, which indicates after kanade vanished, otonashi stayed there for just a little while more, so no, 30 is too much, max 1 year difference, please wiki this shit. A lot can be read from the wiki.
Jul 15, 2014 11:25 AM

Mar 2014
Thunder45645 said:
StardustNyako said:

Kanade did have a regret in other words she was supposed to be there. Just it was hard to fulfill that regret. In the end hou can see the people vanishing, which indicates after kanade vanished, otonashi stayed there for just a little while more, so no, 30 is too much, max 1 year difference, please wiki this shit. A lot can be read from the wiki.

I know, I was just explaining how his theory would be off/not work.
Jul 15, 2014 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I can see how my theory is off or unable to work. I dunno' maybe it'll just be a mystery what happened after Angel Beats! :(
Aug 2, 2014 6:16 PM
Aug 2014
I never saw this as much of a plot hole. Assuming all the Key/KyoAni stuff is in the same universe, non-linear time after death is pretty common. In Air
or Kanon where
or Clannad where
Aug 3, 2014 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
FrancisCooper said:
I never saw this as much of a plot hole. Assuming all the Key/KyoAni stuff is in the same universe, non-linear time after death is pretty common. In Air
or Kanon where
or Clannad where

Wow, I never actually thought about that, it makes a lot more sense than my theory xD
Aug 3, 2014 6:12 PM
Aug 2014
JollyChap said:
FrancisCooper said:
or Kanon where
or Clannad where

Wow, I never actually thought about that, it makes a lot more sense than my theory xD

Yours explains why Otonashi recognizes Kanade afterwards better though
Aug 3, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2011
Just ask yourself this: What was Otonashi's regret?
Oh that's right, nothing. He was instantly at peace when he knew he helped save people and signed the donor card.

Secondly, why must people assume it was his heart that killed her? She could have died from a car accident or anything. It's never implied that his donated heart failed at anytime. Sure, it can be assumed, but I'm just saying we don't know that as a fact. Anyways, this doesn't change the fact that he was only there for her.

He was never bound by the idea that once he had no regrets he could pass on to the next life. If that's the case, what was his regret to pass on? We see that he remains there after Kanade dies just so he can continue helping others (that's kind of his thing y'know). He doesn't stay because he has some underlying regret to get over. We see that both Kanade and Otonashi meet again in the next life.

Also, even if Kanade moved on to the next life "years" before Otonashi, reincarnation isn't necessarily instant and/or that limbo is not instant as well. At least, in what I've seen in anime it isn't. For example (lol) in InuYasha, Kagome is Kikyo's direct reincarnation but was born hundreds of years after Kikyo's death. I was always under the assumption that reincarnation was kind of like a lotto (though I can be wrong there). Regardless of the "fact" of reincarnation, this anime is fiction, so if Kanade and Otonashi exist in the next life together, they just do. That in itself isn't a plot hole.

Like I said though, I do not consider Otonashi's arrival after Kanade to be a plot hole either. Kanade described herself as the student body president who oversees the process of the afterlife (it's on her character bio)....maybe--just maybe she was aware that regrets needed to be let go to move on; however she was sure that since her donor died before her, she'd never be able to thank him. This is a theory I am less keen on, because I don't have any evidence to prove it.

Additionally, the "new" world/life hints at being able to tug at something deep within people's souls, that's why Otonoshi heard and recognized the song Kanade was humming. Someone had asked about Hinata wanting to marry in the next life, and that means that it's a possibility if they did in fact cross paths in the next life. It doesn't mean they remember everything, but the concept is that they have the same souls and therefore are still connected.

Honestly, people can all this stuff plotholes, but I like the wiggle room of interpretation.
MaiTaiAug 3, 2014 10:47 PM

Aug 4, 2014 7:37 AM

Mar 2014
MaiTai said:
Just ask yourself this: What was Otonashi's regret?
Oh that's right, nothing. He was instantly at peace when he knew he helped save people and signed the donor card.

Secondly, why must people assume it was his heart that killed her? She could have died from a car accident or anything. It's never implied that his donated heart failed at anytime. Sure, it can be assumed, but I'm just saying we don't know that as a fact. Anyways, this doesn't change the fact that he was only there for her.

He was never bound by the idea that once he had no regrets he could pass on to the next life. If that's the case, what was his regret to pass on? We see that he remains there after Kanade dies just so he can continue helping others (that's kind of his thing y'know). He doesn't stay because he has some underlying regret to get over. We see that both Kanade and Otonashi meet again in the next life.

Also, even if Kanade moved on to the next life "years" before Otonashi, reincarnation isn't necessarily instant and/or that limbo is not instant as well. At least, in what I've seen in anime it isn't. For example (lol) in InuYasha, Kagome is Kikyo's direct reincarnation but was born hundreds of years after Kikyo's death. I was always under the assumption that reincarnation was kind of like a lotto (though I can be wrong there). Regardless of the "fact" of reincarnation, this anime is fiction, so if Kanade and Otonashi exist in the next life together, they just do. That in itself isn't a plot hole.

Like I said though, I do not consider Otonashi's arrival after Kanade to be a plot hole either. Kanade described herself as the student body president who oversees the process of the afterlife (it's on her character bio)....maybe--just maybe she was aware that regrets needed to be let go to move on; however she was sure that since her donor died before her, she'd never be able to thank him. This is a theory I am less keen on, because I don't have any evidence to prove it.

Additionally, the "new" world/life hints at being able to tug at something deep within people's souls, that's why Otonoshi heard and recognized the song Kanade was humming. Someone had asked about Hinata wanting to marry in the next life, and that means that it's a possibility if they did in fact cross paths in the next life. It doesn't mean they remember everything, but the concept is that they have the same souls and therefore are still connected.

Honestly, people can all this stuff plotholes, but I like the wiggle room of interpretation.

This was my theory about why Otanashi was there too (Just so Kanade coud thank him.) Jun MAeda also said Otanashi passed on. He said" [Otanashi] is that kind of straight forward guy"
Aug 4, 2014 8:56 PM

Oct 2011
In the show, we are led to believe his regret is not going to med school..but he only wanted to go to med school to SAVE people.
Therefore, when he realized becoming a donor would SAVE someone and that him helping out the others who were stranded SAVED them, he was able to die at peace. I can't remember since I saw it years ago, but I think there was a wide shot of him having a pleasant expression when he died.

Now, if someone wants to not accept that as good enough, there's a Japanese belief from long ago that memories are connected to the heart. Since the soul through reincarnation is supposed to have some string of memory (we see this in the after credits scene) perhaps he needed to go there to get his memories back AND help Kanade pass on since she needed to thank him.

Either route you choose, it fits and makes sense to me at least. Picking it apart is literally searching for error lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 7, 2010

513 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 7:08 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 30, 2010

607 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 4:35 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 23, 2010

447 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 16, 2010

478 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 9, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 9, 2010

484 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 9, 3:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.