Forum Settings
Forums

[Unconfirmed News]Staff of Book Store Mandarake Leaks New Season of Full Metal Panic

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 7, 2009 7:11 AM

Jun 2008
OMG OMG OMG !!!!! i hope this is true!!! more kana and sousuke, I hope it will to be based in the main novels...
Oct 7, 2009 8:48 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I so hope this is true.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 7, 2009 9:20 AM

May 2008
Great news if it's true.
Oct 7, 2009 5:14 PM

Jul 2008
wow a new season, sounds awesome!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 11, 2009 11:22 PM

Aug 2008
I heard this rumor that if your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer.
Oct 11, 2009 11:41 PM

Nov 2007
Deleted various spam. If you're not going to discuss this news, don't bother posting.
Oct 31, 2009 8:58 PM

Jan 2008
Being someone who has searched the web pretty much daily (for almost three years) for official news concerning a new FMP! season I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. I won't pop the champagne until an official statement is out. Kadokawa - the company that spent the last few years trolling the Haruhists - are the ones who decide when and if another FMP! season is produced. Unless they feel that investing in an FMP! sequel will earn them money nothing will happen. I'd love for this rumor to be true though.

If it turns out that another season is in fact on the way I sure as HELL hope that it's a Main Plot novel adaptation, not irrelevant sidestory crap like Fumoffu. The best part (by far) of FMP! lies ahead as only 5 out of 10 Main Plot novels have been animated so far. 5 out of 11 if we include the soon to be released 11:th Main Plot novel that is supposedly going to be the final one. Gatoh (the author) promised us that the next novel will be the long-awaited climax of FMP! but I guess there's a slight possibility that another one will follow. Anyhow, due to the content of the remaining novels it's very hard to find a good spot in the story where they could wrap up a season and go on an indefinite hiatus...

The novel that's next in line to be animated is the 6:th one - "Full Metal Panic: Odoru Very Merry Christmas" and its story arc pretty much comes to a conclusion. They could release it as an OVA or a movie without having it end with a cliffhanger but it's more probable that it'll simply be the first arc of the new season (if it's ever produced). After that though, the story gets darker and way more serious as FMP!'s "real" main plot is introduced in the seventh novel. That story arc is still ongoing today. This is why many FMP! fans have always believed that nothing will be animated until Gatoh has written the final novel. If the soon to be released 11:th novel turns out to be the final one (it probably is IMO) I guess there's a slight chance a new season is being planned as we speak. We can all hope at least, but I'm personally trying hard not to. :P

I wonder how they would go about adapting the remaining novels into anime though. The two seasons that exist today (not referring to Fumoffu as it's nothing but side story material) covered the first five novels and as it looks today six novels remain:

Novel #1 - "Full Metal Panic: Tatakau Boy Meets Girl"
- covered by FMP! episodes 1-7

Novel #2 - "Full Metal Panic: Hashiru One Night Stand"
- covered by FMP! episodes 9-12

Novel #3 - "Full Metal Panic: Yureru Into The Blue"
- covered by FMP! episodes 18 + 20-24

Novel #4 - "Full Metal Panic: Owaru Day by Day (Upper Volume)"
- covered by FMP!TSR! episodes 5-7

Novel #5 - "Full Metal Panic: Owaru Day by Day (Lower Volume)"
- covered by FMP!TSR 7-13

Novel #6 - "Full Metal Panic: Odoru Very Merry Christmas"
- has not been animated

Novel #7 - "Full Metal Panic: Tsuduku On My Own"
- has not been animated

Novel #8 - "Full Metal Panic: Moeru One Man Force"
- has not been animated

Novel #9 - "Full Metal Panic: Tsudou Make My Day"
- has not been animated

Novel #10 - "Full Metal Panic: Semaru Nick of Time"
- has not been animated

Novel #11 - Supposedly the "soon" to be released final novel
- has not been animated

As you can see FMP! episodes 8, 13-17 and 19 did not cover Main Plot novel material. They contain some side story elements and anime original material that Gonzo felt like adding themselves.

The same goes for FMP!TSR! episodes 1-4. Gatoh added this when novels 4 and 5 were to be animated by Kyoto Animation. Gatoh and KyoAni are good friends and he has even been involved in other KyoAni productions. He wrote episode scripts and helped with the directing (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu episode 11 and Lucky Star episodes 5, 12 and 22).

Anyhow, this means that the first five novels were covered by a total of 26 episodes which just so happens to be the standard length of a 2cour season. I don't know if they could finish FMP! off with a new 2cour season though since 6 novels (at least) remain and they wouldn't be able to add any side story elements at all (or any brand new material from the author a'la FMP!TSR! episodes 1-4 for that matter). I kind of doubt it.

So, I have no idea how they would decide to go about adapting the remaining novels into anime but it shouldn't be a problem after all. KyoAni are insanely good at anime adaptations and given the fact they successfully managed to turn Clannad into an anime with a somewhat linear timeline (those who have played the game should know just how incredibly hard this must have been) this should be a walk in the park really.

By the way, a good thing about the content of the remaining novels is that IF they decide to animate some more FMP! Main Plot material they'll pretty much HAVE to see it through to the end, unless they decide to do an anime original ending... which is highly unlikely since KyoAni have always been very faithful to the source material they're working with and many employees are FMP! fans.

Crap, I've got to stop rambling. Let's leave it at that. I'm still set on not getting my hopes up but I would lie if I claimed that I'm not curious about this rumor. :P
MeatroseOct 31, 2009 9:03 PM
Dec 30, 2009 3:05 PM

Mar 2009
i hope this will be true
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Dec 30, 2009 10:56 PM

Dec 2008
it would be nice to see new season but needs to be confirmed ...
Mar 17, 2010 4:08 AM
Mar 2010
i hope it's tru coz im a huge fan of this anime.. is there anyone here who can tell me where can i download the FMP the second raid.. i have a copy of this but it is not complete.. i would appreciate if someone can tell me bout it...thanks a lot...:D
Mar 18, 2010 12:47 AM

May 2009
I'm not a huge FMP fan, but I enjoyed it enough that I'll certainly watch another season if/when it happens (although some of the spoilers I've heard for the novels sound...really stupid). So, uh, hopefully it's true?

Edit: On further inspection, this thread is a couple months old...
May 15, 2010 2:35 PM

Jun 2009
Couldn't hurt to hope
May 15, 2010 2:45 PM

Sep 2008
If Kyoani isn't doing it then don't even bother.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
May 15, 2010 4:34 PM

Jan 2010
Jigero said:
If Kyoani isn't doing it then don't even bother.

I agree. although the original with gonzo isn't bad, but kyoani really took the cake when they did fuofffu and second raid.
Jul 18, 2010 9:56 PM

Jun 2010
There better be a new season. I mean, the original author wrote like, six novels (last time i checked, which was long ago). The animes only cover the first two.
Aug 13, 2010 3:55 PM

Sep 2009
*Is hopeful :)*
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Aug 21, 2010 4:18 AM

Nov 2009
@Meatrose: You know very well, thanks for your explanation.

I would never hope, I believe (so cocky lol)
Whoever is responsible, especially Shoji Gatoh must finish this masterpiece. If KyoAni did not intend to do it, then he should find another studio willing to make it.

F*** anyone who does not want to FMP completed!!!
And, FMP! is much much better than K-**!! (KyoAni should know that).
If you just did nothing because you thought it wouldn't help, then you'd end up doing less than nothing; for nothing would change and nothing would end. (Kira Yamato - Gundam Seed Phase 34: Seen & Unseen)
Oct 27, 2010 1:27 PM

Sep 2008
I hope this is true. I'd love another season of FMP! It's been so long now since TSR ended and it's been so quiet. :(
Nov 14, 2010 1:13 PM

Jul 2010
It's about time they release SOME NEWS about FMP. Gah, the wait is frustrating!
It's been a while...
Feb 20, 2011 7:25 PM

Apr 2009
So, any word on this?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

14 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
5 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.