Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 11, 2014 6:36 AM

Mar 2013
Kineta said:
But if you had fun doing the application, want to know where the information you missed came from and want to be able to search obscure information like publication dates of specific magazine issues - then you're in the right place.

This makes it sound real sweet, but is being driven truly the only main requirement the members get selected from? Surely, without it, one cannot even hope of being a splendid database moderator. However, with just dedication alone, we would be recruiting a group of multiple Eren Yeager's without their titan form, to express myself like that. If indeed that is the value this recruitment is looking for, then I assume once the moderators are chosen, the same will happen to them as what happened to the relatively new forum moderators. They will be split into senior and junior division, as well as instructed until truly find worthy in action. At least, I hope that's around the way it will go.

Edit: I can never get around these sort of replies without a huge amount of typos being present~
SubbedSep 11, 2014 6:42 AM
Sep 11, 2014 7:22 AM

Dec 2008
Speaking of "wanting to know where the information you missed came from" I'm interested in this because I couldn't find them no matter how I searched. Source could be good.
Sep 11, 2014 11:08 PM

Sep 2011
Well, since all of the corrections have been sent out already, here are my Part D answers excluding #1.

Now a rundown of it all:

For future purposes, some keywords I'd recommend looking at (likely missing a lot; feel free to chip in):

- 発売日 / hatsubaibi (release date)
- 月刊、週刊、日刊 / gekkan, shuukan, nikkan (monthly/weekly/daily publications)
- 号 / gou (issue)
- 漫画 / manga
- 月、週、日 / getsu, shuu, hi (note that these can have different readings, such as the first character being read as 'tsuki', which means moon. The last character can also be read as 'nichi')
- 昭和 / shouwa (used in 'old' Japanese times to count years, up to very early 1989)
- 平成 / heisei (the era Japan is in now; you can find the heisei # by subtracting the current year by 1988)
ShishimaiSep 11, 2014 11:28 PM
Sep 11, 2014 11:24 PM

Oct 2009
Serhiyko said:
can anyone give me specific dates every single chapter of xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE was published?

Serhiyko said:
-Okami said:

http://tsubasa.wikia.com/wiki/Manga_Volumes_Guide
Choose a volume>A Chapter=>There you go.

Most of the chapters are missing though (starting with volume 8)
And what about xxxHolic?

Anyone?
Sep 12, 2014 1:38 PM

Jun 2010
Serhiyko said:
Serhiyko said:
can anyone give me specific dates every single chapter of xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE was published?

Serhiyko said:

Most of the chapters are missing though (starting with volume 8)
And what about xxxHolic?

Anyone?

Are you actually searching for that or just teasing them?
Anyway, it's a tricky request. IIRC, xxxHOLiC went from one publisher to another until finally settling down, in 2010 or smth with Besatsu Shounen Magazine that's run by Kodansha itself.
Besides, it's even harder to find specific publishing dates because twice (or even more) the new publisher just restarted the count or serialized it as they pleased (like renaming it to that xxxHOLiC-Ro or something)
I was stalking some CLAMP stuff a while ago and found about it.

Anyway, regardless of this, the only way of finding the information you want would be e-mail Kodansha themselves and ask for it. Or manually searching for each volume ISBN and scavenge the specific released into each specific company storage. Pretty much labours of Hercules-san.
xbobxSep 12, 2014 1:44 PM
Sep 13, 2014 1:25 AM
Jan 2013
Nyu, I can't wait to know who is the new Manga Moderator xD
I just Hope one of them are in my friend list xD
Sep 13, 2014 1:52 AM

Dec 2012
Time to start adding friends!!! M-More friends? yay!

I found answer to 4-a using DBZ chapter release dates, but my answer was off by one week. Now that I think about it, it was a redundant method. Searching for information on Japanese content should have been done using Japanese
Sep 13, 2014 1:57 AM

Sep 2011
cloud2313 said:
Time to start adding friends!!! M-More friends? yay!

I found answer to 4-a using DBZ chapter release dates, but my answer was off by one week. Now that I think about it, it was a redundant method. Searching for information on Japanese content should have been done using Japanese

While I do agree that searching in Japanese would be helpful to getting used to searching in a different language, it'd also be useless to search in Japanese if you didn't know what keywords to use. I searched as hard as possible for 4a, but couldn't get it, so I think it's pretty impressive that you were close to the answer in the first place.
Sep 13, 2014 2:41 AM

Jun 2010
Youjinbou said:

That's very helpful, but i'm still curious about 4-a/b/c. Has anyone found them?^^

Can I post it here?

So, I didn't submit the application or anything, but I was curious and decided to give it a try.
...worst decision of my life.
inb4: she found (b), I suppose, so I only looked up for (a) and (c)
xbobxSep 13, 2014 2:52 AM
Sep 13, 2014 5:29 AM

Dec 2012
Except for Inagaki Makoto question, all dates I submitted were off by one week. I guess it might be because of the Publication vs Release Date thing youjinbou mentioned.

EDIT: I am guessing not every applicant can read/write Japanese. Right? If I was the only one, damn. So did you hit that Translate to English button? Or did you just brute force your way through the Japanese till you find the answer you want o.0
cloud2313Sep 13, 2014 6:30 AM
Sep 13, 2014 10:36 AM

Sep 2011
My skill level at Japanese isn't very high either, really. I translate manga sometimes just to build up my kanji recognition and have a bit of knowledge on grammar structures. However, when I can't read pages, I stick it all into Google Translator and read the romaji and not the actual translation (which is basically unreadable for the most part anyway). I'm also able to learn more kanji this way as I associate the romaji to each word.

I can try searching for more keywords later to see if there's this information anywhere on the internet. The source of these dates are killing me too.
Sep 13, 2014 12:46 PM

Dec 2012
Woah! I just started learning it recently. All I remember is the order of the hiragana. Only pronunciations lol.

Need to start learning properly.
Sep 13, 2014 3:54 PM

May 2008
Can't look at this struggle with dates anymore. (not even other mods noticed)

Regarding the date for a). I briefly searched for the issue beforehand in Japanese and then reflexively calculated it manually. Looking for it in English didn't even cross my mind, since, from my experience, it's not really good to search in Eng.

After getting considerably bad vibe about that date from seeing above discussion today, I decided to check it again and the others just in case. To my disappointment it looks like the correct date for a) is 1992/12/22, and I was actually wrong by a week with my counting…m(_ _)m

I counted it again manually going year by year from 1989 just to confirm it. Two times, just to be sure… My calculations here were wrong because they published an extra issue (no.53) in 1990, even though there were only 52 Tuesdays that year. This issue should have been published in 1993 (which had 53 Tuesdays), but that year only had 52. Because of that all issues between 1990/53~1993/52 had a one week shift (one of those rare, mysterious cases ;/).

As an apology we'll make this test invalid and prepare a 2nd, much harder?, test ~~

As a freebie for now, I'll only give some roundabout advice on how to search dates (Japanese ver.). Roundabout mainly because I don't want to hand everything ready on plate. You can learn better this way, the rest is a trade secret.

If you can't find the date you are looking, e.g. Big Comic Original no.5 2006, don't stop on searching just that - searching by trial and error is where real fun starts. If there's no no.5 then look for no.6...no no.6, then no.10, etc. until you find anything, even if it means going to as far as 2014, or sometimes below the date. From there, assuming you found something, now you just need to count it manually to where no.5 is, knowing how many issues are published during the year. And if it's your first time searching, then it's better to find multiple publications to notice the release pattern of the magazine, or just look on wikipedia.jp - on some there is this info (google translate should manage with that).

Another hint: Searching ビッグコミックオリジナル 2006年5号 in google got me 50 results, I noticed there was at least one hint to locating the correct date.

Old/very old dates need to be calculated manually with a good calendar in hand, because you won't find them on any search engine you can think of.

~Nothing is ever easy as most of you expect it to be…

Now..., to get ready for lashing from Kina:/

@mugi:
>And that was in my eyes the least important bit of information needed on MAL.
If you saw the wrong date on an anime entry, let's say not yet aired one, what would you do? Would you still say the same? Unfortunately, most people care about those things...i.e. when they air.

>but the instruction to handle it as a mod, and eventually deny it, wasn't given.
I think, this should be obvious. You are applying for possible position as a mod, not as a user. And everything is written in the guidelines, you just need to execute them accordingly.
Sep 13, 2014 7:11 PM

Sep 2011
Well, using the method svaax provided, I did another quick search and found the date for Big Comic Original no5 2006.

It was odd, but I found out that this comic is released semi-frequently on the 5th and 20th of each month. I found this information on the English Wikipedia, and stumbled upon it again in Japanese when I typed in a date that fell on the 20th of the month.

Through that, I just had to find out when the FIRST issue was released, because it either could be December 20th or January 5th. This is kind of an asspull, but I then found a blog post (in Japanese) of what appears to be a guy documenting the releases of 2006's first Big Comic Original issue of the year... which happened to be posted on December 20th.

http://s.webry.info/sp/norstrilia.at.webry.info/200612/article_30.html is the website in question.

So then I counted:

2nd issue: January 5th
3rd: January 20th
4th: February 5th
5th: February 20th, 2006.

EDIT: Now doing a thorough investigation for clues on the Manga Sunday 8/4 Issue in Shouwa 62. Found out that it releases weekly on Tuesdays and currently looking for any issue in the year 1987.

EDIT 2: Okay, so I found out how to do it, but it got really hard for me because I had to pretend that I didn't know the answer already. You know, there's this sort of imbalance when you already know the answer and it suddenly becomes easier to find because you know what you're looking for.

Nevertheless, the clue that really helped:

http://man-sun.jp/magazine/ <- The official Manga Sunday website. It says the issue for March 5th, 2013 was released on February 19th, 2013 (the very last issue). The issue was released two weeks before what the title said, so therefore, the August 4th, 1987 issue was also released two weeks before said date.

The only problem here is we don't know when exactly this two week discrepancy started. The earliest I could find was:

http://www.j-n.co.jp/jippi21/index/page:80?ext=html&mgenre=17 <-- Which shows that each issue was released two weeks before the title date, though this is just for the year 2000 and above.

At first, I thought it was the first issue that may have given it that two week craziness, but it turns out that the first issue was published on February 19th, 1959 and it was the March 17th, 1959 issue. Too big of a gap there, but it is also the very first issue, so who knows.

For now, I'm trying to look very carefully for any issue before the year 1987 to prove the two-week theory.

svaax said:

I think, this should be obvious. You are applying for possible position as a mod, not as a user. And everything is written in the guidelines, you just need to execute them accordingly.

This is true, but the screenshot for it didn't say the manga was already added, considering the button at the bottom of the page says "Add Manga", though this is me just trying to nitpick, I guess.
ShishimaiSep 13, 2014 8:41 PM
Sep 13, 2014 9:28 PM

Jun 2010
svaax said:
As a freebie for now, I'll only give some roundabout advice on how to search dates (Japanese ver.). Roundabout mainly because I don't want to hand everything ready on plate. You can learn better this way, the rest is a trade secret.

Hypothetically, if I was an applicant and instead of doing all this that we did here, I simply went on /r/ or even 2ch and asked our elevens friends for some help? How would mods see that?
It's not hard to see someone getting all the answers after a couple of minutes, since there's always some dumb people lurking these things (like myself) that would gladly accept the challenge for the fun of the ride.
I'm curious because, first, that would go against this "exercise" purpose, which is make the applicant go scavenging for the answers, however, it shows versatility and a quality that could come in hand in the future: being able to do more work in a smaller period of time. Huh?

Hashiri said:
So then I counted:

2nd issue: January 5th
3rd: January 20th
4th: February 5th
5th: February 20th, 2006.

Did you find any visual confirmation of that? Like I said yesterday, it's pretty blurry the information regarding this magazine releases. I also went pass that guy's blog, however when I crosschecked the results with some auctions on yahoo.jp, it didn't match. Following this logic, nº2 should come out in the 5th, like you said, but there's this page on nº1 being the first of that year (with Happy New Year wishes and all).

Youjinbou said:
(I'm studying it, I learnt about 400 kanji, but it wasn't enough to read japanese websites at all. Using google translate was a much faster method.^^ )

I'd suggest you drop kanji altogether. (...for now)
It's way easier and more helpful to learn how to read, understand and write in Katakana and Hiragana than spend weeks with random kanji stuff.
I've learned a bit of kata some years ago and I can easily find my way through moon-speaker websites, since usually the writing is simplified and I rarely stumble on top niche kanji words.
Sep 13, 2014 9:37 PM

Sep 2011
xbobx said:

Did you find any visual confirmation of that? Like I said yesterday, it's pretty blurry the information regarding this magazine releases. I also went pass that guy's blog, however when I crosschecked the results with some auctions on yahoo.jp, it didn't match. Following this logic, nº2 should come out in the 5th, like you said, but there's this page on nº1 being the first of that year (with Happy New Year wishes and all).

Hmm, care to share the page to the Yahoo.jp auction results and the pages of no1 you found? I want to take a look at it if it's fine with you. That is, if you're able to find them again.

Personally, I don't think it'd be unusual to see those greetings on that issue. Frankly, it's the first one of the year and right before the actual new years, though you may be right. I can't say for sure considering I haven't run across those pages yet.

And as for the yahoo.jp auctions, the listings could have been posted whenever or the issue may be one of those magazines that include a different date in its title (though I'm not for certain on this one), or maybe it could be something else.

EDIT: Okay, after looking at some of the Big Comic Original covers, it seems that it always has a 5th or 20th day on it, so it's not one of those magazines that imprint a different date on it. Maybe it could've been a special issue?
Sep 13, 2014 10:20 PM

Jun 2010
Hashiri said:
[text block]

I had literally 30+ tabs opened here yesterday... gonna check the browse history, when I find it I'll make sure I edit this here.
It was a related page to this one, tho: http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m118416064

>And as for the yahoo.jp auctions, the listings could have been posted whenever or the issue may be one of those magazines that include a different date in its title (though I'm not for certain on this one), or maybe it could be something else.
Yea, it's a possibility. By the way, something that's bothering me for a while is why you guys were asked to search for the "nº5" of 2006. From all that I've found so far, Big Comic Original doesn't keep this patterned kind of issues. They just catalog their stuff (like you said) by the year and the 2.5, 2.20, 03.5, etc. Meaning: XX(month).XX(day, be it 5th or 20th) so the nº5 of 2006 is tricky, because it can be either the 5th release under the "2006" tag or the 5th magazine released on 2006.
(or someone could even go beyond like I did and go look for the nº5 ever released back in 1972)

>Maybe it could've been a special issue?
It's possible. I've also found some Big Comic Original x Big Comic crossovers and SE. Not sure if that counts in the whole 5/20 thing.
Sep 13, 2014 10:51 PM

Dec 2008
Is there going to be second test?
Sep 13, 2014 10:55 PM

Sep 2011
xbobx said:

~~~

Related to that link, hmm. After a quick scan, I couldn't find any related to that one. There are multiple "Big Comic" titles, like Big Comic Spirits for example. The link you provided does solidify the 5th/20th idea though, and the guy seems to be selling the entire collection from shouwa 53 (year 1978) and only in that one year from January 5th up to the December 20th issues.

Well, I believe we were just asked to find the 5th issue published in the 2006 run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that the fifth issue fits the bill of being the fifth release under the 2006 tag and the fifth magazine of its kind in 2006 as well.

Uncrowned_King said:
Is there going to be second test?

If there is, then hopefully I can actually take these tips into account. ;_;
Sep 13, 2014 11:03 PM

Dec 2008
svaax said:

As an apology we'll make this test invalid and prepare a 2nd, much harder?, test ~~

I hope so because at last now we have some leads how to search for certain things ;_; and it shoud be more fun
Sep 14, 2014 12:08 AM

Sep 2011
Uncrowned_King said:
svaax said:

I hope so because at last now we have some leads how to search for certain things ;_; and it shoud be more fun

Well, you know what they say.

The first impression counts the most. ;___;

Oh god, please give us another test.
Sep 14, 2014 12:18 AM

Mar 2013
Hashiri said:
The first impression counts the most. ;___;

I can guarantee you that the individuals who decide your position in the very end disregard that if found reasonable. In other words, if your opening was bad but you managed to prove yourself and excel with tests later on, the achievement will be noted. If there is one thing you can rest assure of is that the staff management on MAL fairly rewards you or punishes you for whatever you do. If found as someone who has elevated through the advice given, it will not go unseen. That stands and goes that much more when it comes to the matter of being a database moderator. No matter how dedicated you are, once you get the position, listening and learning from the already-existing moderators is a must, since they hold so many tricks and knowledge that have contributed to the database through the years. No matter how talented or intelligent you are, once you get on the team, you must be a sponge that swallows the protocol whole. Alongside with your personal approach to the issue, giving out a hint and seeing if you still have the will to continue and give your best is the ultimate test.

Long story short: if you want to be a database moderator, your test for it has only begun. Now it's the time to shine.
Sep 14, 2014 12:29 AM

Sep 2011
Well, basically the important parts would be things like learning quickly and the will to learn. That being said, things like character and other sorts of quirks are also quite memorable for the first impression.

In any case, I'm really fine with anything. Wouldn't even treat it like a test, more of a big learning opportunity. Never thought that tearing down Google to look for dates of magazines could be so amusing.
Sep 14, 2014 2:56 AM

Dec 2008
Yeah, after all this I unexpectly found this test fun and now I'm more determined
Sep 21, 2014 2:52 AM
Jan 2013
Am I dreaming or is some moderator are decreasing?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

421 by Seiidou »»
3 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - 5 hours ago

0 by Kineta »»
5 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.