MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

First Squad: The Moment of Truth Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» First Squad: The Moment of Truth »» First Squad: The Moment of Truth Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: First Squad: The Moment of Truth Episode 1 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

34 18.89%
4 out of 5: Liked it

40 22.22%
3 out of 5: It was OK

41 22.78%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

34 18.89%
1 out of 5: Hated it

31 17.22%
Voters: 180

10-04-09, 4:52 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just finished watching the Movie, and all I've got to say is, this movie kicked ass!

A bit different from what I expected, yet not that different. It was a nice touch with the comments by historians, veterans and psychologists. I liked that you can reach your own conclusions about what was real and what was not. And the action scenes were simply superb!
Really great movie.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans

10-04-09, 7:58 PM

It was different. Though I'm not a big fan of Russian dub. Good storyline with good animation. Was not a big fan of the commentary though, they could have just used a narrator instead.

10-05-09, 4:33 AM

Yeah but never expected to be this way tho XP
well at least i learn some new history =))

10-05-09, 6:18 AM

Такая хуита. ужос.

407-401-772

10-05-09, 7:15 AM

Would have been better without using the phony historians to portray pseudohistory conspiracy theories about the Ahnenerbe and such as real imo.

But not bad. More WW2 anime can only be a good thing.
Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

10-05-09, 8:51 AM

They tried to mix the reality and bitterness of that war and theories about supernatural occurrences together.
And mixing fiction and reality has always been a thing walking on very thin ice.

But I think they did really well and I found this to be an very interesting attempt at visualizing a part of World War II.
They also did a fine job including facts, like the nazi's abuse of runes and Germanic mythology.

Also really loved that they used Russian and German natives
and I didn't really have that much of a problem with those historians and war veterans,
though it would have been nice if they just had used them a little less.

Baman said:
More WW2 anime can only be a good thing.

10-05-09, 10:05 AM
Anime Moderator
That was good, I liked the mix. Some animations could've been better but the CG was amazing. Especially the scenes with the black limousine on the snow. I liked the ending theme, too as well as that somewhat-open end itself.

8/10

!Moderators needed! Database Guidelines Report Abuse Master of war with plasma swords.

10-05-09, 10:10 AM

I think the interviews did fit into the movie. Really liked almost everything. The colours, voices, music, cg, ~ were great. Just as cy said, there were some animations that could've been a bit better.

9/10

10-05-09, 10:37 AM

1/10. Miserable mockery of Russian history.
ps: yep, im russian.

407-401-772

10-05-09, 11:11 AM

I don't know why people are criticizing the movie based on history. I don't think there was ever a claim that what was portrayed was real. It was clearly fictional, it was clearly stated as such at the very beginning. The historians did their job, there was a comment where a historian denied the existence of General (what was his name again, the chief of Division 6); as for the psychologists, we should all know that psychology is a pseudoscience to begin with, and psychologists always take their crap very seriously. I, for one, got the hint from the very beginning that the actual events that were happening were a lot more like a hallucination on Nadya's part, with her war-damaged, drug-altered and injured mind; hell, the very first thing said about her is the comment that she wasn't completely sane.
And as for some members of the SS digging into the occult and Russian "scientists" messing with concepts such as going in the beyond are in fact true. There were all kinds of deranged mids during, and before, and after, the war.

10-05-09, 12:03 PM

georgi said:
as for the psychologists, we should all know that psychology is a pseudoscience to begin with, and psychologists always take their crap very seriously.
Correction, Psychoanalysis is pseudoscience, certainly not all of psychology. It didn't surprise me to see they were all Psychoanalysts. It's much easier to stretch reality when you're handling those guys.
And as for some members of the SS digging into the occult and Russian "scientists" messing with concepts such as going in the beyond are in fact true. There were all kinds of deranged mids during, and before, and after, the war.
Indeed, at least the Ahnenerbe existed, but they hardly dabbled with magical rituals, that was more the Thule society's area.

I did like the hint that everything might have been happening in our protagonist confused little head.
Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

10-05-09, 1:55 PM

I was a bit disappointed. I expect a war movie with a hint of supernatural and I got a "zombie war". The way the characters accepted every situation also annoyed me a bit. I know they were prepared for war, but they showed no shred of doubt or remorse.

In terms of quality, I'd give it a 9/10.
In terms of enjoyment, I'd give it a 7/10.
Modified by Zuly, 10-05-09, 2:00 PM

10-05-09, 2:00 PM

I'm sorry but this, imho, was a smishmash of bullshit, comparing reality with fantasy is definetly not a smart move. The first half of the movie was just a ridiculous documental of people relating the war of Soviet Union with Russia then the second half was just a psychological brakedown of a kid with supernatural powers. Certainly the animation was really good, but lets not forget that a good animation doesn't come up always with a good story. It definetly had a good battle/jump moves scenes but thats all.

Plotwise; this shit sucked balls. 5/10 because the last scene was definetly entertaining for me.

RANDOM: Also I already requested moderators to remove Monster from the recomendations of First Squad, they're nothing related on and first of all, comparing such a masterpiece as Monster with First Squad is just a blasphemy.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.

10-05-09, 2:19 PM

We really need more WW2 animes. And this movie was great but i think it was a little too short and made it feel rushed but in the end good.

10-05-09, 3:23 PM

Lol, Monster a masterpiece. Seems more like an absurd soap opera to me.
And Baman, correction duly noted; though psychology that is not pseudoscience is often so trivial that we already knew the answers to begin with. The truly interesting claims in psychology are usually not really well backed scientifically. At least, that's my opinion of the matter.

10-05-09, 3:36 PM

Certainly something different with the use of those interviews in between. Russian dub is also something nice for a change - but for the movie itself: almost nothing happened. A little bit action at the end of it and I feel like there was pretty much no plot at all. Of course that's because with all those interview scenes and only 1:10 hours overall length this was really short for a movie. But even then you could compress that little story into 10 minutes. It wasn't even that interesting or original. Pretty forgettable movie.

Going with a still somehow good 6/10.

10-05-09, 5:03 PM

georgi said:
though psychology that is not pseudoscience is often so trivial that we already knew the answers to begin with.
But we don't really know anything that isn't gained through scientific rigour. Those would be simple assumptions. Psychology also frequently suffer from people's hindsight.

10-05-09, 9:46 PM

it was bad, really bad!
paladins, druids, zombies - wtf? this war, not a kunstcamera

btw, it's not a WW2 - it's Great Patriotic War. feel difference
1/100
Modified by 2_oz_of_pasta, 10-06-09, 2:00 AM

10-06-09, 12:47 AM

it's a f*cking horrible. Probably, the most awful anime I've ever seen.
1/10
и больше на ингрише написать ничего не смог Т_Т короче, XYNTA

РЕАЛИСТИЧНОСТЬ
где она?!?!?!

10-06-09, 4:44 AM

TsubasaKnight said:
РЕАЛИСТИЧНОСТЬ
где она?!?!?!

Реалистичность? В аниме? Bwahaha.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices