Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2014 4:42 AM
Jul 2013
Im not trying to disrespect the anime or shame it, but i just don't understand why people consider it a masterpiece. I felt the both main character Kouta and yuka were just really dumb and pretty much had no character development at all or any substance for that matter. Story wise and concept were cool, but i really felt the characters ruin the show. The only character i thought was well done and liked was kurama. Like the show was sort of entertaining and i must praise it for being out of the box, but i don't see its so popular and so highly rated. If someone could explain this to me, i would greatly appreciate it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 25, 2014 4:44 AM

Feb 2013
because its pretty old
Jun 25, 2014 4:56 AM

Apr 2009
Because it's one of the first edgy anime inexperienced viewers see.

tikkari said:
because its pretty old

What? If anything older shows are often underrated on MAL.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 25, 2014 4:58 AM

Apr 2013
monsterrelic said:
Im not trying to disrespect the anime or shame it, but i just don't understand why people consider it a masterpiece. I felt the both main character Kouta and yuka were just really dumb and pretty much had no character development at all or any substance for that matter. Story wise and concept were cool, but i really felt the characters ruin the show. The only character i thought was well done and liked was kurama. Like the show was sort of entertaining and i must praise it for being out of the box, but i don't see its so popular and so highly rated. If someone could explain this to me, i would greatly appreciate it.

It's a mistery yet to be discovered.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 25, 2014 5:19 AM

Jul 2011
People get too absorbed in the gore-filled dramatic atmosphere to notice how stupid the characters are.
Jun 25, 2014 7:49 AM

Jul 2013
It used to be babby's first edgy show until Attack on Titan came along.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jun 30, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2008
Aside from being gory, edgy and full of nudity which made it controversial (for many ppl controversial automatically equals excellent) it was (and still is) one of the rare shows with protagonist (Lucy) being ruthless, murderous, villainous and Ax Crazy. This is something really fresh in mainstream animation where main heroes are almost always restricted with lines they ultimately won't cross (the same lines in almost every show), for this reasons titles like Death Note and Mirai Nikki became great hits despite many flaws they had, and for majority of western audience Elfen Lied was the first show of that kind they ever watched.

It's worth mentioning here that title popularity (any title, not just EL) is often greatly affected by something like a "critical point" in viewer first impression. If that point is passed and viewer satisfaction is big enough then all the shortcomings are automatically overlooked or justified and the viewer goes out of his/her way to look for additional depth that will enrich the experience (depending on interpretation depth can be found in almost anything as long as someone spends enough time thinking about it) and thanks to that will only like the show more and more. On the other hand if the "critical point" isn't crossed then it works in reverse - the viewer sees all the flaws and can't be bothered to justify them or look for anything deeper than what is shown on the surface (even when there really are things worth thinking about hidden somewhere deeper).
In other words - if you like Elfen Lied then you can by yourself find a lot of fun stuff hidden under the surface (some of it is just over-interpretation and finding depth where there was not supposed to be one but it is irrelevant as long as there is fun in it), if you don't like it enough to find something on your own then you will just see a lot of holes and won't be able to understand why others could rate it so differently ;)
New profile design sucks.
Jun 30, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2013
It's original.
Jun 30, 2014 11:03 PM
Jul 2013
Karharot said:
Aside from being gory, edgy and full of nudity which made it controversial (for many ppl controversial automatically equals excellent) it was (and still is) one of the rare shows with protagonist (Lucy) being ruthless, murderous, villainous and Ax Crazy. This is something really fresh in mainstream animation where main heroes are almost always restricted with lines they ultimately won't cross (the same lines in almost every show), for this reasons titles like Death Note and Mirai Nikki became great hits despite many flaws they had, and for majority of western audience Elfen Lied was the first show of that kind they ever watched.

It's worth mentioning here that title popularity (any title, not just EL) is often greatly affected by something like a "critical point" in viewer first impression. If that point is passed and viewer satisfaction is big enough then all the shortcomings are automatically overlooked or justified and the viewer goes out of his/her way to look for additional depth that will enrich the experience (depending on interpretation depth can be found in almost anything as long as someone spends enough time thinking about it) and thanks to that will only like the show more and more. On the other hand if the "critical point" isn't crossed then it works in reverse - the viewer sees all the flaws and can't be bothered to justify them or look for anything deeper than what is shown on the surface (even when there really are things worth thinking about hidden somewhere deeper).
In other words - if you like Elfen Lied then you can by yourself find a lot of fun stuff hidden under the surface (some of it is just over-interpretation and finding depth where there was not supposed to be one but it is irrelevant as long as there is fun in it), if you don't like it enough to find something on your own then you will just see a lot of holes and won't be able to understand why others could rate it so differently ;)

This "critical point" you speak off does seem to be a very good justification and explanation of a person's perception of an anime's quality. For me this happen recently while watching Gurren Laggan, even though the show had many flaws i was able to overlook them due to the sheer enjoyment i was able to get out of it. Thank you for the reply Karharot, it really helped me understand people's views on certain anime a little better now.
Jul 15, 2014 4:52 PM

Jan 2014
Shock value
“Because of our broken instincts we are in pain. We continue in pain because our instincts have been twisted by reason. So, what are we supposed to do? Should we abandon knowledge? Throw away reason? In any event, that wouldn't be possible. For better or worse, we ate the fruit of knowledge long, long ago.”
Jul 23, 2014 6:22 PM

Apr 2009
monsterrelic said:
Karharot said:

This "critical point" you speak off does seem to be a very good justification and explanation of a person's perception of an anime's quality. For me this happen recently while watching Gurren Laggan, even though the show had many flaws i was able to overlook them due to the sheer enjoyment i was able to get out of it. Thank you for the reply Karharot, it really helped me understand people's views on certain anime a little better now.

all animes have flaws
Karharot said:

full nude :O
Aug 3, 2014 6:54 AM

Oct 2013
Popular among edgy teens.
Aug 4, 2014 12:45 AM

Dec 2008
Celestia-L20XX said:
Popular among edgy teens.

I'm in my thirties and I do like it.
Aug 7, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2014
Elfen Lied is the kid who thinks he's super avant garde, when it's actually one anime deserving of being called pretentious. It's also 2edgy4u.
Aug 8, 2014 6:32 AM
Apr 2011
For my part I just liked the characters and agreed with their motivations for the most part.
Aug 8, 2014 6:34 AM

Jan 2013
JabonHR said:
It used to be babby's first edgy show until Attack on Titan came along.

Pretty much.
People want to watch anime for the first time, and get surprised by the "ecchiness" of the show and gore at the same time.
Oct 30, 2014 7:46 PM

Feb 2013
From What I understand it has given everyone something different.

Gore, nudity and all that I don't care. But What I do care is the impact it creates.

To be plain Elfen Lied is a war a secret war between humans and something else.

why are the Diclonius always naked because they are not human so they don't respect them they are something else.

Gore like I said it is a war. But their is more then that to it shows the horrible truth of weakness and darkness of humans and Diclonius alike.

So why is it a masterpiece because its more then just watching a psychopathic gore fest.

But that being said not everyone sees it the same way. Normal I say people are short sighted everyone is allowed to have their opinion.
Oct 30, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2012
tikkari said:
because its pretty old

masochist-chan said:
It's original.

this^^

Oct 30, 2014 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
not this shit again

Jan 2013
Nikoka said:
People get too absorbed in the gore-filled dramatic atmosphere to notice how stupid the characters are.
+1

Jul 2012
Udgey said:
Nikoka said:
+1

qft
Oct 30, 2014 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
Udgey said:
+1

qft

imagine if it was about classical music and not gore.
Oct 30, 2014 7:50 PM

Jul 2012
SolvitePriest said:
mayukachan said:

qft

fite me
Oct 30, 2014 7:55 PM

May 2011
I guess it's like a cult classic, was one of the first edgy shows to get popular, but not really the best at anything it does. It just paved the way for more outlandish and actually really good shows to get adapted.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Oct 30, 2014 8:15 PM

Feb 2013
mayukachan said:
SolvitePriest said:

fite me

Wait this isn't a classical musical? There is a music box.
Oct 30, 2014 8:21 PM

Jul 2011
Its shit

Nidhoeggr said:
Because it's one of the first edgy anime inexperienced viewers see.
Nov 13, 2014 5:19 AM

Nov 2014
I dropped this during the first episode. The gorefest made me chuckle, it was so edgy. I wasn't disturbed, just laughing at the absurdity of it all.
Nov 20, 2014 4:26 PM

Apr 2013
It's often a gateway anime, I guess.
Nov 20, 2014 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
jap trickery
Jan 2, 2015 1:18 PM

Apr 2014
Gateway anime perhaps ? And nostalgic to many who rewatch. Pretty much the Naruto Syndrome. But yes, it's a good anime but no way near the best.
Jan 18, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2014
Elfen lied is full of shit and dumbass characters,lucy made the series popular of that's what your'e asking
Mar 23, 2015 4:42 PM

Nov 2013
Iri-Saber said:
Elfen lied is full of shit and dumbass characters,lucy made the series popular of that's what your'e asking

Thank you for Your professional opinion.
May 10, 2015 4:20 PM
May 2015
It started out OK but it seemed to take a nose dive in production value. None of the episodes lived up to the first one. Towards the end, maybe halfway, they seemed to rush towards the conclusion.

Besides not liking the overall animation and art design, I really couldn't get into the characters. The main character was a generic everyman. Lucy had two modes: a speechless sex doll or an invincible god. That does not equate to a personality or character development. And there is something about her invincibility and coldness that made her unlikable to me rather than a cool badass, which I assume is what they were going for.

The ending was unsatisfying after the series seemed to be building up to something epic.

However, School Days (another "dark" anime I saw around the same time) makes Elfen lied look like a work of art.
May 10, 2015 4:49 PM
Feb 2015
Maybe bcz its old, n sorta depicts the aura of an epic... its got a very common settin but plot is nice... n sometimes it kinda connects with u.... but personally i liked the manga even bettr... the open phase endin bout lucy might ve aldo helped its cause...
May 11, 2015 3:52 AM

Dec 2008
lazy-guy-1911 said:
The ending was unsatisfying after the series seemed to be building up to something epic.

That's because there was supposed to be a second season of the anime but its production plans were canceled due to the fact that the first season was only able to get aired on satellite TV because it was too controversial for any station to air it in normal program block.
So basically what you saw is something around 2/3 of the whole thing and the anime ending was supposed to be more a cliffhanger than a grand finale.

If you ever wanted to know the whole thing, including what happens when Lucy really goes on a rampage, you would have to read the manga (a warning her: the art sucks at first but it gets better with time).
May 11, 2015 11:28 PM

Nov 2014
Because it's pretty unusual for a cartoon.

May 12, 2015 9:48 PM

Sep 2014
No idea how this is so popular. I'm reading Battle Royale at the same time I'm watching this and it's way more intense, with better characters, story and just about everything IMO. I gotta get back to something less crazy for a while.

Add me on League of Legends: BigT - NA Server
May 16, 2015 11:02 PM
Jul 2014
1. Why is it highly rated? It isn't. It is rated a 7.98 below Naruto and even Bleach. The vastly inferior Mirai Nikki is rated an 8.22.

2. Why is it popular? Among current anime fans, it isn't. It is the official go-to punching bag of every otaku born from 1995-2005. Yet the same newfags think Code Geass is a God Tier anime.

3. Why is this such a gateway anime? It was never intended to be a gateway anime! The people who liked Elfen Lied, didn't first watch it at age 6 because their elder sibling was being a jackass and forced them to watch it. For Otaku born 1985-1991, that anime for us was Evangelion...and we fucking HATED it. That's why every anime forum in the late 90s/early 2000s called Eva garbage. That is why Elfen Lied is rated higher on animenewsnetwork, the site people used before MAL and was last used in about 2006. Watch Bennet the Sage's review on Eva. That's what everyone said about Eva in my peer group, even though it wasn't really fair and we focused on snarking more than actually appreciating what Eva did well.

4. Why was it ever popular? Yes it had flaws, but it actually did some things really well. It dealt with themes like "is repentance and forgiveness possible for even the most horrible crimes?" We were used to Punisher style characters who only killed "bad guys" but we weren't used to someone who killed innocents, but then actually felt deep remorse and searched for penance, ultimately being reborn and getting a 2nd chance. It showed the dark sides of humanity that we don't feel comfortable discussing: pedophilia, animal cruelty, human experimentation, discrimination, etc. Most anime didn't try address those topics and most still don't. We were used to X-men where humans discriminate against mutants for no reason, yet children with ungodly powers and undeveloped restraint somehow never kill people. Only a few mutants are clear cut bad guys and everything is purely a Manichean good and evil. Elfen Lied had flaws in its execution, but was a fucking MASTERPIECE compared to X-men! It showed the extremely uncomfortable and un-PC truth about how society would likely react to a new race that actually is physically stronger and more dangerous, developing great strength at a young, still emotionally undeveloped age. After Eric Frien shot and murdered 2 police officers and fled into the woods in an attempt to re-enact Rambo, police punched him the face and took him in alive despite the fact he never surrendered and was armed with 3 guns at the time. Why didn't they just shoot him 87 times? Because they hadn't been brainwashed into seeing him as a "beast" with the strength of "Hulk Hogan" who is impossible to take down without shooting dozens of times. Police looked at a vicious double murderer and they saw McLovin, and weren't scared. "We don't need to shoot this guy, he's a joke! lol" Same with James Holmes, Jared Loughner, and countless others. Police see black youths and instead of McLovin they see Broli. "Quick, empty your clips before he kills us all with his bare hands! It's the legendary Super Saiyan!!!" Diclonius mutants are euthanized, kept in labs, horrifically experimented on, and kept naked to deny them any semblance of humanity...which are all things humans have actually done before to each other. This is all while having characters like Kurama who ARE given sympathy and shown to actually believe his actions are right. Both humans and mutants are shown to have both good (Nana, Kouta) and bad (the Kakuzawas, Tomoo) members. Usually discrimination in anime or Western cartoons wasn't given such balance...and honestly they still don't for the most part, with some exceptions like Eve no Jikan.

5. Is Elfen Lied really THAT bad of an anime? No. not really. Stop taking 4chan seriously kids! It was never meant to be serious, or the place where you go to learn how to "fit in" online and what anime to love and which to hate. Instead of trying to become an "anime elite" in 5 minutes by learning to regurgitate praise and hate for given series, actually watch anime and understand that gaining real expertise takes time. It is more than just learning to say Angel Beats and Elfen Lied are cancer and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the greatest!
May 16, 2015 11:29 PM

Apr 2015
Surprises, I guess.
Jun 3, 2015 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
it has boobies
Jun 3, 2015 12:32 PM

Jul 2011
It's deep
Jun 3, 2015 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
This overrated garbage isn't even worth in being labelled as a "notable" gore shit. It's just plain bad
Jun 3, 2015 12:40 PM
Jul 2014
People like Klad are exactly what I'm talking about. If Elfen Lied were actually still popular, would it be getting bashed by 15 year old newfags with ZERO taste that rate Naruto a 9/10? No. No it wouldn't.
Jun 3, 2015 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
literaturenerd said:
People like Klad are exactly what I'm talking about. If Elfen Lied were actually still popular, would it be getting bashed by 15 year old newfags with ZERO taste that rate Naruto a 9/10? No. No it wouldn't.
Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but your bait seems to be low quality ish.
Jun 3, 2015 12:48 PM
Jul 2014
Bait? Do you think I'm joking or do you actually believe you have taste as a critic?

I apologize for the above abrasive comment. I suffer from the disorder of "mild smugness" and I am currently medicating myself with smugness inhibitors to prevent the disorder from progressing into full blown Roman Reign's syndrome!
Jun 3, 2015 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Keep spouting bullshit.

I ain't even taking your words into consideration. Why would I care about some random angry butthurt baboon who doesn't respect other's opinions but instead, keeps trash talking my scores? Yeah take your failure attempts of a troll elsewhere
Jun 3, 2015 12:59 PM
Jul 2014
Firstly, this is an internet forum. There is no reason to actually get upset by anything uttered by another blogger. Secondly, if you don't respect the opinion of people who actually like Elfen Lied, than why would you ever expect a civil response? Do you somehow visit forums in which you trash other people's opinions, but they all show the courtesy to not trash yours? Could you show me where such a forum exists? I would like to see this for myself.
Jun 3, 2015 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
Blast yo eyes to what I said. Lmao. I never trashed the fans of liking it. I simply talked bad of the series itself. Can't you tell the difference?
Jun 3, 2015 1:07 PM

Apr 2015
Praland said:
It's deep

This ^
Jun 3, 2015 1:08 PM
Jul 2014
There is obviously a difference. However, when an author merely states how horrible an anime is without even stating WHY they feel it is so terrible as if stating a self-evident irrefutable truth, it highly infers that fans of such an obviously terrible series must be pretty fucking stupid.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.