Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2014 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
This was a very sad episode. Also what was that little green bean guy? I'm worried for Gon. I wonder if he's going to be joining Meruem and Komugi to.
Jun 24, 2014 1:08 PM

Feb 2013
This was absolutely beautiful.

Jun 24, 2014 1:09 PM

Oct 2013
WOW!!! The fuck did I just watched in a shounen series? That character Meruem!!! Oh My God!!! At the end he even voiced his realization of not being worthy of such loyal RG, HOLY SHIT.. And Komugi died with him.... I just can't I am speechless.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jun 24, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
haven't... cry so much... in a reeealy long time... TT___TT Meruem T_T
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY...
Jun 24, 2014 1:13 PM
Jan 2013
Aichiro said:
This was a very sad episode. Also what was that little green bean guy? I'm worried for Gon. I wonder if he's going to be joining Meruem and Komugi to.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Beans

Few spoilers
Jun 24, 2014 1:15 PM

Oct 2009
Damn I read the manga years ago and I still cried... I am crying easily these days though.
Jun 24, 2014 1:15 PM
Jan 2013
By the way, that Komugi's "I might not be much... etc" is an old Japanese marriage proposal.
Jun 24, 2014 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
:(

So touching.
Jun 24, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2013
That damn circus music ruined my mood....

Anyways, another great episode of HxH. I'm happy and sad that this arc is finally gong to be over because it felt like an eternity. HAHA, I laughed my ass off when I saw Pouf dead in the ground. He deserved to die alone.
Jun 24, 2014 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Wow.. I am speechless.. I can't imagine a better ending for this arc (and for Meurem and Komugi)
"If we can go to the moon, then why are umbrellas still umbrellas?"

„Das ist wie mit diesen Lichtern am Himmel... von hier unten sehen sie alle gleich aus, aber das macht den einzelnen Stern kein bisschen weniger schön.“
Jun 24, 2014 1:21 PM

Dec 2008
Seems like only Meruem found true happiness out of him and the royal guards. ;_;

Jun 24, 2014 1:23 PM

May 2013
diivil said:
damn amazing analysis and an yet another amazing ep by madhouse
michiru3050 said:

, did anybody notice kokoriko(a gungi technique) means King itself? This technique try to win the game by making King piece isolate. But komugi tells him this technique is Shiro(road to death) a while ago ( ep 104). Isolated king must die. But she shows him a new tactics to save king in ep 135. It means "king doesn't have to die". In reality, king didin't be killed by Netero's nuke attack.
But king counterattacked her and shows that isolated king must die after all ( by poison). Komugi finds a new counterattack and said "I'll go with you". King is not alone anymore. Meruem tells her he can't win even once(He couldn't beat kokoriko). It means Kokoriko is not shiro anymore. She saved the isolated king.

The black screen at the end has a couple meanings
The dying king has lost even his sight.
His mother named him Meruemu as "Light shining on everything". It's stated that "His en shined into the palace as if it's sunshine" and "He manipulated light particles to search Palm in a house" a while ago. He got a god-like light power at that moment. But black pages suggests that he doesn't have any light now. This is a view that Komugi was seeing from the beginning. She couldn't see any light. To her, he was just Meruem.

After all, those pages show us that he lost everything but gained what he trully wanted.
He didn't need any soldiers, palaces, countries, power, strength, even his sight(as Komugi). He just wanted to play Gungi with Komugi.

This is the same to her too. She had nothing besides Gungi. Nobody loved her and couldn't play Gungi as well as she did. She was lonely Gungi King(Queen?). But she gained Meruem.
That's why she cryed when he counterattacked her new kokoriko. She once needed to create and kill tactics on Gungi by herself. But she gained the perfect opponent and can create tactics with him(I guess to create tactics suggests to create a baby as she said kokoriko is her baby.)

The one "Light shines on everything" loved (and was loved by) was a blind girl. What a story!

They started a new(the last) game in darkness.
"1-5-1 king".
"9-5-1 king".
Then it was stopped. These two king pieces don't go anywhere anymore. Two kings (King of living things and Gungi King) are together forever.

Awesome details like this makes Togashi my favorite mangaka.

RIP Pitou, Youpi, Pouf, Meruem and Komugi, they were a joy to watch!!
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Jun 24, 2014 1:25 PM
Feb 2008
If I hadn't scored this anime with 10 already I would do so now.
Jun 24, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned

I know this episode was sad and all but please try not to write one worded posts. These are considered spam. Ex. ;_;, beautiful, amazing. At least try to write a little more.
Jun 24, 2014 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
I cried so much during this episode. When Meruem was first introduced in this arc, I wouldn't think I would like him so much. But damn, was I wrong.

Overall great episode, I'd say it's my favourite after episode 51.
Jun 24, 2014 1:30 PM

Aug 2012
Mal needs to create a new rating where after 10 it just says Hunter x Hunter. That was an amazing episode and awesome finally to an epic arc.

Jun 24, 2014 1:30 PM

Oct 2009
Zer01 said:
HAHA, I laughed my ass off when I saw Pouf dead in the ground. He deserved to die alone.

Yeah that was priceless. It looks like he died just after The King left him, he's the biggest loser among the K+RGs:
- Pitou was fairly happy Gon was focused on her and not the King when she died.
- Yupi's death was nice and short.
- The King died while playing Gungi with his GF.
- Then pouf died just after all his plans were defeated, and it seemed to have been slow considering the blood trail.
Jun 24, 2014 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
Anyway, that was a great episode and a good way to end the arc. I was spoiled about what was going to happen a few weeks ago so ;_;. Didn't hit me that hard.
Jun 24, 2014 1:36 PM
Oct 2012
I was sure about the king's death, but komugi! I didn't see that coming *I'm drowning in my own tears*
also, the king remembering his three guardians, that was touching *^*
Jun 24, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2011
diivil said:
damn amazing analysis and an yet another amazing ep by madhouse
michiru3050 said:

, did anybody notice kokoriko(a gungi technique) means King itself? This technique try to win the game by making King piece isolate. But komugi tells him this technique is Shiro(road to death) a while ago ( ep 104). Isolated king must die. But she shows him a new tactics to save king in ep 135. It means "king doesn't have to die". In reality, king didin't be killed by Netero's nuke attack.
But king counterattacked her and shows that isolated king must die after all ( by poison). Komugi finds a new counterattack and said "I'll go with you". King is not alone anymore. Meruem tells her he can't win even once(He couldn't beat kokoriko). It means Kokoriko is not shiro anymore. She saved the isolated king.

His mother named him Meruemu as "Light shining on everything". It's stated that "His en shined into the palace as if it's sunshine" and "He manipulated light particles to search Palm in a house" a while ago. He got a god-like light power at that moment. But black pages suggests that he doesn't have any light now. This is a view that Komugi was seeing from the beginning. She couldn't see any light. To her, he was just Meruem.

After all, those pages show us that he lost everything but gained what he trully wanted.
He didn't need any soldiers, palaces, countries, power, strength, even his sight(as Komugi). He just wanted to play Gungi with Komugi.

This is the same to her too. She had nothing besides Gungi. Nobody loved her and couldn't play Gungi as well as she did. She was lonely Gungi King(Queen?). But she gained Meruem.
That's why she cryed when he counterattacked her new kokoriko. She once needed to create and kill tactics on Gungi by herself. But she gained the perfect opponent and can create tactics with him(I guess to create tactics suggests to create a baby as she said kokoriko is her baby.)

The one "Light shines on everything" loved (and was loved by) was a blind girl. What a story!

"1-5-1 king".
"9-5-1 king".
Then it was stopped. These two king pieces don't go anywhere anymore. Two kings (King of living things and Gungi King) are together forever.

Thanks for quoting this post, I missed some of these things
Jun 24, 2014 1:39 PM

Jan 2014
Such a sad ending to the arc. But at the same time, it was a wonderful and a great adaptation.

A question: Are they going straight to the next arc? -_- confused (I have not seen the preview).

9.9*/10. (I Don't like giving masterpieces for any anime because nothings perfect, but it was damn close). Being picky aha.
Jun 24, 2014 1:41 PM

Sep 2010
When I read this in the manga several years ago, I remember feeling sad but mostly bitter. That Togashi was really doing an asspull killing off the King in such a way, but this episode was TOO beautiful to feel bitter about. Madhouse did a truly excellent job. Hopefully they can make me appreciate the "asspull" that occurs in the next arc too.

Komugi and the King are just so freaking cute together. Gotta go find something funny to break me out of all this sentimental crap I'm feeling.
Jun 24, 2014 1:42 PM

Apr 2014
damn my eyes are still sweating. great eps them feelz were to great. i heard their wasn't a episode next week :(
Jun 24, 2014 1:42 PM

Dec 2012
I can't even... the feels man, the feels. That was beautifully done. I loved the whole thing they did with
Jun 24, 2014 1:43 PM

Sep 2010
michiru3050 said:

"1-5-1 king".
"9-5-1 king".

[/quote]

Wonderful!! Thanks for the details!!

The smile on Meruem when he states he is not the same person anymore... Speechless... He said "hito", meaning "person", not a wrong translation. Loved his character development even in the last minute.
Jun 24, 2014 1:47 PM

Oct 2012
Probably one of the best episodes so far. So touching that I still have tears in my eyes as I'm writing this.
Komugi and Meruem's relationship had been a little forgotten, with all the battles and action, but this episode delivers a huge decharge of feels that I wasn't expecting for T_T
The slow pace indeed contributes in accentuating the sad scenes, I really can't find a bad point in this episode at all. The Chimera Ants Arc is a huge one, and the episode that concludes it is, I think, a masterpiece.
Jun 24, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2009
michiru3050 said:

"1-5-1 king".
"9-5-1 king".

Thanks, I never took the time to analyse those Gungi moves.
Jun 24, 2014 1:48 PM
May 2014
I cried like a little bitch at the flashbacks, yet another amazing episode delievered by MadHouse. They're at the top of their game right now! I see everyone cried with this episode, next one should also be making some people cry because there is a bit more extremely sad things coming up and I'm sure I will cry even more.

Edit: Also this episode wasn't the last one of the Chimera ant arc
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jun 24, 2014 1:53 PM

Oct 2012
im literally going to fight madhouse every single employee whom is a part of developing this episode will be fought 1v1 by me
"Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Madoka anime. Pink lesbian saved time lesbian and now they're about to fight Walmart"
Jun 24, 2014 1:53 PM
Jun 2014
I have seen so many animes through out my life but this one, and specially this arc, was just absolutely remarkable Im glad that exists someone like togashi in my lifetime with this beautitiful writing and that supreme animation of Madhouse to elaborate this wonderful masterpiece.
Jun 24, 2014 1:57 PM

Jun 2014
Never thought I would cry from a shounen but damn! The feels is just too much! How does the creator and madhouse keep out doing themselves
Jun 24, 2014 2:01 PM

Apr 2014
This is probably the umpteenth time on this thread, but I'll say it anyway...

That ending sequence was so beautiful, I don't even...

And also,
R.I.P. Pouf.
Watching his cape tear off was too sad. And that blood trail... Damn. :(
Jun 24, 2014 2:05 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm at a lost for words...Hands down one of the greatest episodes of all time

Chimer Ant Arc = Best arc of the series

The only thing left to do is cry T.T
Jun 24, 2014 2:06 PM

Feb 2013
That was much sadder than I thought it was going to be... I didn't expect Komugi to die too. Amazing episode and amazing arc... I can't wait to see Gon again and see what the hell he's going to do now. That expression on Killua's face doesn't look good at all.
Jun 24, 2014 2:07 PM
May 2011
Seriously, am i the only one who didn't even get sad at all of this ?
Jun 24, 2014 2:08 PM

Apr 2009
Haha, that mood swing at the end with the preview melody was hilarious.
Glad they moved around the content a bit and left out both ending and opening to give these chapters the needed time. Great episode.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 24, 2014 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
Very emotive episode, I really liked it, sad that Meruem died, I liked the character...
Jun 24, 2014 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
Damn ninjas cutting onions.
Jun 24, 2014 2:16 PM

Apr 2009
conan4 said:

Nope, me too.

People are weird you know. Feeling sad for human eating creature because he found love ? So lets forget the people he killed or ate. LOL. Screw your romantic thoughts.
Jun 24, 2014 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
this episode made me cry so hard...they did this scene so perfectly is was just too much.. MadHouse has been my favorite animation studio and still is after watching this.

Spoiler:

R.I.P.
Komugi and Meruem.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Jun 24, 2014 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty good episode. I didn't care about Meruem or that little girl, so no feels for me. A bit too dramatic for me, but yeah... People seemed to like it, whatever.
Jun 24, 2014 2:22 PM

Apr 2013
What a great episode.... I was wating for that scene weeks. RIP Meruem, Komugi may you meet again. That last picture....so heartbreaking. Bleeding Komugi, dead Meruem....so sad. Best episode so far from HxH for me.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jun 24, 2014 2:22 PM

Jun 2007
Definitely glad I didn't get spoiled on the very end. As for 'feels', it made my eyes a little watery, didn't get to the point of crying (Anohana was the last show to get me on that one).

The jarring transition from the final scene to the preview theme was reminiscent of the awful decision in Clannad ~After Story~ to cut right to the bouncy ed theme at the end of a couple episodes in particular.

Well done, HxH. While parts of this arc played right into shounen tropes, the finish and the degree of character development to Meruem in particular were a welcome divergence from the usual in the genre.
Jun 24, 2014 2:23 PM

Aug 2008
This arc was unbelievably dull at times but I have to admit, this episode was truly superb. I guess it made up for all that tedious narration and laughable character design and then some. Relationship between Meruem and Komugi and his development was done beautifully. I'm really surprised how one single episode as this, can completely eclipse the impression of the rest of such pretty weak arc.

It was such a good closure, I don't really care what happens afterwards.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 24, 2014 2:23 PM

Feb 2012
I cried three times...first when Palm started crying, then 2nd when Mereum said he's an unworthy leader to his loyal guard, and Komugi started crying and said it felt unreal that so many wonderful things are happening to her....ToT beautiful adaptation.

And they didn't really goo all black like the 9 all black pages in manga, the little aura light is a nice touch. I kinda wish they didn't show the two until the end.
Jun 24, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2011
Satouji said:
conan4 said:

Nope, me too.

People are weird you know. Feeling sad for human eating creature because he found love ? So lets forget the people he killed or ate. LOL. Screw your romantic thoughts.

Ok is your opinion.
BUT the human being is not the most rational creature.
I never said that Meruem was a nice, good creature or something like that But I think you dont understand the central theme or Main theme of Chimera Ant
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Jun 24, 2014 2:27 PM
Apr 2010
Satouji said:
conan4 said:

Nope, me too.

at least for me, I didn't fall for him because he 'found love', I fell for him because of his development.
he started as a complete monster, but learned a lot, and evolved greatly, even before the battle with Netero I found myself thinking "he is a great king. I would like him if I weren't forced to be on the human side".
but in the very end he turned very mature and competent, and became a character I would like to continue the story with. and this is why his death is so sad for me
Jun 24, 2014 2:27 PM
Aug 2012
i cant stop the tears 2 of the best characters around or not so now crying more than komugi does so beautiful
Jun 24, 2014 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
Greatest arc in shonen <3
Jun 24, 2014 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
Meruem's legacy comes to an end...

So beautiful. :')
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Yesterday, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.