Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2014 8:01 AM

Oct 2010
Hallo! About a month ago (maybe a bit more), I submitted edits to the character Seiya Kou's profile to rectify the fact that her first and last names are currently swapped (her first name is given as Kou, and last as Seiya, meaning that she appears on Favorites lists, etc., as Seiya, Kou, which is incorrect). It hasn't been changed, and I don't know if it's just that there's such a huge backlog in these things that I need to be more patient about it (which is a-okay!), or if it slipped through the cracks of the ether, and I'm actually meant to be posting about it in here. Thank you kindly!
Jun 22, 2014 8:56 AM

Mar 2008
Hi dreamerofpluto, I'm sorry but your edit request was denied.

Japanese names consist of a last/family name followed by a first/given name. Her name is 星野 光 (せいや こう) which means that her last/family name is Seiya (星野 / せいや) and first/given name is Kou (光 / こう).

Notice that while character names appear by "first name last name" order in their page (http://myanimelist.net/character/2876) on Favorites list the character names appear by "last name comma first name" order (http://myanimelist.net/favorites.php?type=characters).

It may sound confusing but I hope this helps.
Jun 22, 2014 1:04 PM

Oct 2010
Wait a minute, wait a minute... I'm perfectly aware that Japanese names list family name first (I actually have lived in Japan and speak Japanese proficiently). But I always thought the The Three Lights shared a last name (Kou) and then had their given names (Seiya, Yaten, and Taiki), thereby meaning Seiya would be called Kou Seiya in Japanese, but Seiya Kou in English. Are you telling me that actually they all three have the same GIVEN name, but different family names??

(I haven't watched it since it first aired, before I knew Japanese. Now I need to go back and rewatch it. My entire world's being blown. Wow. Thank you.)

EDIT: Okay, I'm beginning to see where my thinking went awry... At least from what I've found skimming through episodes, I don't think the Three Lights ever actually introduce themselves by their full names (unless I've missed it, which is possible), but are simply referred to as "Seiya-san," "Yaten-kun," etc., since they're pop stars and everybody already knows who the heck they are. That, in combination with the fact that the English translation of the manga (the old one, anyway) DID use Seiya, Yaten, and Taiki as their first names (along with the shared "translated" last name of Light), and the fact that it just seems downright silly for them all to share a given name... Still, holy tamole, I feel like everything I've ever known has been a lie.
dreamerofplutoJun 22, 2014 1:28 PM

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1396 by RuiKirisuke »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Norio Wakamoto did narration for Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu 2

ryu2k2 - Apr 21

0 by ryu2k2 »»
Apr 21, 6:17 AM

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Apr 18, 1:45 AM

» Character Picture Move Request

SimpleXtra - Apr 17

0 by SimpleXtra »»
Apr 17, 3:39 AM

» Character Picture Change Request

queserasera - Apr 16

0 by queserasera »»
Apr 16, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.