Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2014 9:19 AM

Apr 2014
I mean they dont even share a room and you never see them together. Rygart and Sigyn would be a much better couple i think.
Jun 22, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
It's handled much better in the manga.
As Narvi is even a possible pairing for him in the manga.
In addition to a third character who doesn't even exist in the animes.
The latter two being my personal favorites.

As for why they're married, Rygart left, it's really quite that simple. Hodr was there for her after that. Hodr's really the one who had it worse off of the two, since Sigyn hasn't felt anything for him for a very long while, having even requested a divorce to which Hodr had not responded to.
BeryllusJun 22, 2014 2:20 PM
Jun 22, 2014 3:30 PM
Mar 2012
It's also because Rygart believed she deserved better such as someone like Hodr. She pretty much married him because Rygart wasn't there for her. Hodr is also king, so that gives her access to things she needs for research. It's pretty much a marriage with all the formalities but without the love.
Jul 4, 2014 5:45 AM

Jun 2007
It never made any sense in the manga, either. Not up to where I read, at least. They were supposed to just be friends in school, then later are inexplicably married yet don't talk/sleep with each other. It comes across like Sigyn despises Hodr... which is just weird when he's shown to be such a kind person; even worrying about Sigyn being executed as the queen. Sigyn only ever had eyes for Rygart, before and after the marriage, so her being married to Hodr is just a DRAMA plot point.

The only logical explanation I ever came up with was that Sigyn married Hodr in order to attain her position and geek-out freely. But she's not the sort of character that goes for MONEY, as her whole 'I'd be happy with a few books' memory highlighted. And if she married Hodr with a purely business' understanding, why the resentment for Hodr?...

...I don't know. I think it's just a plot hole. I can't see it ever being revealed if Sigyn slept with Hodr, purely for pure-pure.
Jul 4, 2014 8:17 AM

Apr 2014
Do u guys think that one day that her feelings toward rygart are getting stronger and stronger to a deegre where she cant keep it for herself any longer and then confesses to rygart??
Sep 19, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2014
forgotmyname said:
Do u guys think that one day that her feelings toward rygart are getting stronger and stronger to a deegre where she cant keep it for herself any longer and then confesses to rygart??

i hope so, even though i haven't watch the show i already ship them
Oct 4, 2015 4:40 AM
Oct 2015
I had the same thoughts. Her being married to Hodr made me drop the whole thing entirely. There's absolutely no point in her being married to him. She can work herself up with her own ability to research. What kingdom wouldn't fund a person who can increase their tech and such? She could of had also followed Rygart. I remember a crap load of people dropped this because of the marriage. As for them sleeping together, I don't think they ever did, I hope. It was more like an "I just want to skip the whole working up the ladder" ploy which was stupid since there was a time skip and it could of had showed her already in a managing position without marrying King Doofus.
imadethistopostOct 4, 2015 4:45 AM
Oct 16, 2015 6:44 AM

Nov 2013
Beryllus said:
It's handled much better in the manga.
As Narvi is even a possible pairing for him in the manga.
In addition to a third character who doesn't even exist in the animes.
The latter two being my personal favorites.

As for why they're married, Rygart left, it's really quite that simple. Hodr was there for her after that. Hodr's really the one who had it worse off of the two, since Sigyn hasn't felt anything for him for a very long while, having even requested a divorce to which Hodr had not responded to.

This.

AironicallyHuman said:
It never made any sense in the manga, either. Not up to where I read, at least. They were supposed to just be friends in school, then later are inexplicably married yet don't talk/sleep with each other. It comes across like Sigyn despises Hodr... which is just weird when he's shown to be such a kind person; even worrying about Sigyn being executed as the queen. Sigyn only ever had eyes for Rygart, before and after the marriage, so her being married to Hodr is just a DRAMA plot point.

The only logical explanation I ever came up with was that Sigyn married Hodr in order to attain her position and geek-out freely. But she's not the sort of character that goes for MONEY, as her whole 'I'd be happy with a few books' memory highlighted. And if she married Hodr with a purely business' understanding, why the resentment for Hodr?...

...I don't know. I think it's just a plot hole. I can't see it ever being revealed if Sigyn slept with Hodr, purely for pure-pure.

Sygin doesn't despise Hodr. I have no idea , how some people can think that. And when someone drops the show because of that, well, that's their problem and their loss.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 1, 2016 4:50 AM

Nov 2014
cloudedshadow said:
forgotmyname said:

Yeah, I mean, doesn't Rygart also have feelings for her? (maybe), it would just be nice if they could be together since its kind of weird with Sygin and Hodr.
Mar 31, 2017 12:32 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, would be great seeing them together.. Are there any chances?
Apr 13, 2017 1:10 AM

Apr 2014
rkdn said:
Katsu-kun said:
Yeah, would be great seeing them together.. Are there any chances?

Great. Thanks for the info!
Jan 6, 2023 10:10 PM
Jan 2021
SympathyRS said:
cloudedshadow said:

Yeah, I mean, doesn't Rygart also have feelings for her? (maybe), it would just be nice if they could be together since its kind of weird with Sygin and Hodr.
I read it as Rygart not being with her because he thinks poorly of himself.  Being an unsorcerer is a big deal.  Not being able to interact with quartz technology means he can't do many things that are trivial for everyone else.  Imagine if in the real world everything was the same, except things that use electricity are powered by people channeling magical energy into those objects.  So there are lights, computers, vehicles, but there is this one guy who can't channel the energy so he can only use older technology.  Or needs to have other people do everything for him.  If every time you wanted to turn on a light, car or electronic device you had to ask someone to do it for you that would be a big deal.  Even if you have people willing to help you out you could still suffer social stigma and feeling like you are a burden on those that help you.  Note how Rygart drops out of the military academy even though all his friends want him to stay.  If I recall correctly Rygart drops out because he basically thinks he has no future since he is an unsorcerer and he does not want his dad to keep wasting money on his education.  All he can aspire to be is a farmer who can't even use equipment like a tractor.

Rygart believing he is an outcast socially and doomed to being destitute could lead to him thinking Sigyn would be better off with a "normal" person.  In many romances the couple are in love and external forces are the obstacle.  Here Rygart and his perception of himself are the obstacle.

Then again Rygart is also very dense and basically shoots down Sigyn whenever she wants to express her feelings for him.  Or maybe the above point is true and he intentionally acts the fool so to spare her the miserable life he thinks she would have if they were to be together.

I think a main theme of Break Blade is that people, and the societies they create, are complicated and messy.  Hence wars, friends fighting each other and other conflicts are in the story. And as with the political and military events in the series the relationships also have this element.  I think having a nice and neat romance would actually work against the story, unless the author intentionally adds it to be in contrast to the other parts of the story.  To me this series is ultimately tragic.  So characters that have chemistry not getting together and then later one of them being stuck in a loveless marriage seems about right. 

To the question the forum is about.  Why is Sigyn married with Hodr??  Don't think the materiel ever specifically gives details on this.  So all we can do is speculate.  If we rely on what is in the text (Anime at least) Sigyn pulls a gun on Rygart and demands to know why he did not come to her wedding.  Specifically asking for clarification that it was not that he disliked them.  Think what she is saying is "do you hate us because we were getting/did get married?".  I don't think Sigyn would be they type to intentionally try to hurt Rygart.  The speculation I prefer is that Sigyn thought that maybe if she announced that she and Hodr were getting married Rygart would take the invitation and show up.  Then the hope would be that Rygart shows up, confesses his love and they call the wedding between Sigyn and Hodr off.  If this is what happened and the plan backfired with Rygart not showing up I think the following pieces make sense.

1. Sigyn being angry at Rygart.  Because by not showing up he effectively "betrayed" her by messing up the plan.
2. Sigyn simultaneously being worried that Rygart is angry at her.  For example she may think the plan backfired because she announced the wedding and Rygart, who was actually in love with her the whole time, became distraught and could not bare to see her marry his good friend Hodr!  Now she is the one that betrayed him!  On top of that she may have destroyed Rygart and Hodr's friendship.
3. Why despite being angry with Rygart she still hugs him and seems genuinely relieved that he is here and said he did like her and Hodr.

Having the scientist character come up with a plot like this, it then backfiring and her then ruminating for a few years on whether or not she or Rygart is at fault for the spectacular failure of operation "see Rygart again by inviting him to my wedding" works well.  I don't think it is the author's intent to say "look how crazy Sigyn is". The FIRST scene Sigyn is in is the scene I described. The idea of her being in conflicted about who is at fault for her ending up in this loveless marriage explains how hot/cold she is in the scene where she pulls the gun on him.  Throughout the rest of the series Sigyn is portrayed as competent and even wise and mature when it comes to her interactions with Cleo.  So it seems that she only gets flustered and makes errors when it comes to her romantic life.  Think this theory also works well with the themes and vibes of the series.
Ilja_fsJan 6, 2023 10:15 PM

More topics from this board

» Break Blade vs Movie. whats better?

TheNoseOfDeath - Jun 22, 2014

22 by quercifolia »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:55 AM

Poll: » Break Blade (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

37 by dexter247 »»
Jun 3, 2023 6:02 AM

Poll: » Break Blade (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2014

28 by Neostorm-X »»
May 8, 2023 12:08 PM

Poll: » Break Blade (TV) Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2014

48 by Neostorm-X »»
May 8, 2023 9:35 AM

Poll: » Break Blade (TV) Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2014

20 by Neostorm-X »»
May 8, 2023 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.