Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 15, 2014 3:50 AM

Dec 2012
Wow so i can buy akame ga kill translated? YES!
Jun 15, 2014 4:26 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
_Yamainu said:
Yen Press really want to bring all that light novel mediocrity to this side of the world , don't they?

Are they really that bad compared to a lot of english literature?
I mean I have read a fair share of YA and all it is are love triangles, dystopia, vampires, revenge and suicide.

I would assume LNs would be in the same genre as they are mainly aimed/directed to YA (Well..... this is an assumption, who knows, it could be aimed at little boys.. or much older guys).

So compared to what they have to compete with, the mediocre is just competing with repetitive garbage.
Jun 15, 2014 4:45 AM

Apr 2013
^ Zelot is right.
Zelot said:
_Yamainu said:
Yen Press really want to bring all that light novel mediocrity to this side of the world , don't they?

Are they really that bad compared to a lot of english literature?
I mean I have read a fair share of YA and all it is are love triangles, dystopia, vampires, revenge and suicide.

I would assume LNs would be in the same genre as they are mainly aimed/directed to YA (Well..... this is an assumption, who knows, it could be aimed at little boys.. or much older guys).

So compared to what they have to compete with, the mediocre is just competing with repetitive garbage.

Quoted for truth.

Depending on which LN you choose to use as a comparison with occidental novels, you could actually even come up with the conclusion that novels in occident aren't as good as light novel. That conclusion would be wrong obviously, but concluding the opposite is just as wrong ImO. There are extremely good light novel around, which are definitely worth the read. Same can be said with novels. Just ignore what you don't like, as usual. Shouldn't even have to say it.
Jun 15, 2014 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
Zefyris said:
Baccano only has like 3-4 volumes remaining before it ends. I guess a second season won't happen now... But it may be a good time to start licensing it indeed for yen press?

How are sales for Baccano and how realistic do you think is a localization or at least addtional content in other mdeia?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 15, 2014 6:27 AM
Oct 2012
Aside from Accel World, I don't think there's any Yen On LN releases that I'm looking to buy so far. I might get Kieli and the re-release of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I'm not too fussed about them. They have the Durarara manga, so I assume the LN will come at some point. I'd also like to see:
Baccano!
Monogatari Series
Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Gosick
Kokoro Connect
Log Horizon
Unbreakable Machine-Doll
No.6
Toradora
Jun 15, 2014 6:33 AM

Apr 2013
When I was asked about what LN could work well among those I read on the occidental market before, Baccano was one of my answer, for several reasons. I think it would work pretty well.
As for sales, it's not as good as Durarara and by far; not even a third of Durarara's sales, I think. LAst volume only showed up for the first week, with a little less than 10k in the three days it was out. Since it didn't appear the next week it means less than 15k in 10 days.
So while that title would probably go quite well with the occidental market, if english publishers only look at sales/ranking in kono ln wa sugoi for example, it's never going to be licensed. Maybe if they listen to fan's request and/or want to try something that didn't sell well on the japanese market, since sales in japan aren't a good indicator imo of how well a series would fare in Europe/America.

As for additional content in adaptation. I would have said that it's completely impossible not that long ago. But since Durarara got an new adaptation, maybe we'll get a little something for baccano as well next year? I do'nt have a lot of hope, but why not. I could certainly see dengeki bunko thinking that a new anime would make baccano's 21 current volumes sales far more. There is content to sell, and market is definitely not saturated for this one.

So well, both chances are quite low, but not 0 ImO.

smileyboyrocks said:
Aside from Accel World, I don't think there's any Yen On LN releases that I'm looking to buy so far. I might get Kieli and the re-release of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I'm not too fussed about them. They have the Durarara manga, so I assume the LN will come at some point. I'd also like to see:
Baccano!
Monogatari Series
Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Gosick
Kokoro Connect
Log Horizon
Unbreakable Machine-Doll
No.6
Toradora

Forget about monogatari series, this would be a really bad choice for obvious reasons. NisiOisiN's way to write isn't something made to be translated. Too much play on words that would be lost. DenYuuDen is too long, too risky I'd say. Gosick could work quite well... Except that it was already attempted and dropped. And be aware that the last 4 volumes don't have a single illustration.
Toradora... Not sure that a book centered over japanese school life is a good idea. Lots of specificities. Although I guess Toradora is still OK compared to a lot of school life title on this point.
ZefyrisJun 15, 2014 6:46 AM
Jun 15, 2014 6:46 AM

Apr 2009
Zefyris said:
When I was asked about what LN could work well among those I read on the occidental market before, Baccano was one of my answer, for several reasons. I think it would work pretty well.
As for sales, it's not as good as Durarara and by far; not even a third of Durarara's sales, I think. LAst volume only showed up for the first week, with a little less than 10k in the three days it was out. Since it didn't appear the next week it means less than 15k in 10 days.
So while that title would probably go quite well with the occidental market, if english publishers only look at sales/ranking in kono ln wa sugoi for example, it's never going to be licensed. Maybe if they listen to fan's request and/or want to try something that didn't sell well on the japanese market, since sales in japan aren't a good indicator imo of how well a series would fare in Europe/America.

As for additional content in adaptation. I would have said that it's completely impossible not that long ago. But since Durarara got an new adaptation, maybe we'll get a little something for baccano as well next year? I do'nt have a lot of hope, but why not. I could certainly see dengeki bunko thinking that a new anime would make baccano's 21 current volumes sales far more. There is content to sell, and market is definitely not saturated for this one.

So well, both chances are quite low, but not they're not 0 ImO.

You have no idea how sad this post made me just now.

I would like to read a good Jinrui translation.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 15, 2014 12:01 PM

Dec 2008
Stark700 said:
YaMozer said:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (waiting)

Someday, I hope.

I'm glad I'm not the only one (of the few) that's actually hoping that this LN series gets ported to NA. Granted I doubt it ever would happen but I would totally go bonkers if it ever did.

For the time being, though, I am going to be thoroughly content with the Kagerou Project adaptations, especially the Light Novels. I've been lacking in the whole "reading-a-physical-light-novel-department" ever since I caught up with the SuzuHaru adaptations.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jun 15, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
No Shinsekai Yori yet. :(
Jun 15, 2014 8:02 PM

Jun 2012
mayukachan said:

if I remember well Vertical mentioned once (via tumblr) the possibility to translate the novels, but in the end it come to nothing

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jun 15, 2014 8:45 PM
Mar 2012
Behemoth11 said:
Is Sword Art Online: Progressive better than Aincrad?

It's much more detailed, I'll tell you that.
Jun 15, 2014 9:13 PM

Jan 2013
Aozumi said:
mayukachan said:

if I remember well Vertical mentioned once (via tumblr) the possibility to translate the novels, but in the end it come to nothing

Shinsekai Yori only has a manga...
Jun 16, 2014 1:38 AM

Apr 2013
docoda said:
Aozumi said:

Shinsekai Yori is a novel before everything else.
Jun 16, 2014 2:43 AM

Jun 2012
docoda said:
Aozumi said:

psh

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=94405
NemuriNezumiJun 16, 2014 2:48 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jun 16, 2014 8:15 AM

May 2008
I'm just waiting, WAITING for Baccano! or DRRR!! to get announced. Index did it, so why can't those two do it too? Though I'm pleased with the Kagepro novels getting licensed (I hate the direction Shaft is taking the anime.)

Nidhoeggr said:
You have no idea how sad this post made me just now.

I would like to read a good Jinrui translation.

You and me both, brother. You and me both.
Jun 16, 2014 8:18 AM

Nov 2008
akame ga kill should be interesting indeed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

22 by ZXEAN »»
2 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by seweholmes »»
3 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
6 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.