Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2014 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

HEROOOOOOOOO

Ah another good episode and Peco is more impressive than ever. I am very impressed at how much he has progressed since his debut. Lovely humming though. And like usual, I like how Peco goes all out with energy. The OST choice this episode was quite catchy imo. China was impressed and so am I.
Stark700Jun 12, 2014 9:45 AM
Jun 12, 2014 10:30 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
What an epic match that was!
Friggin' Kazama was so op in the beginning; reading Peco's movements like a light novel!
That skill with maintaining a spinning ball around the bat was awesome. His intimidation was quite scary too..
Though, Peco regained control in the 2nd half of the match; being just as op as him. Those movements were almost Godly!

Really loved Kazama's monologues as he was being overpowered by the "hero" and his thoughts and expressions started to change about Ping Pong.
Good seeing how he enjoyed playing with Peco even if he was losing the match.

Kazama sure had a tough past. I begin to understand his hardships now..
Quite a great guy to hold his standard posture for so long just for the sake of being the best, regardless of enjoying Ping Pong at all.

That imagery of the struggling human competing with bird-like superhero was amazingly done!

Liked how Smile already knew the "hero" would return today and didn't even go to watch the match!

Overall, epic episode! Might raise the rating to 9 after this.

Jun 12, 2014 10:35 AM

Jun 2013
Another perfect episode, both Peco and Kazama were great.
Jun 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
GOOSEBUMPS!!! Amazing! Just pure brilliance!

The ping pong game play sequence was glorious!!!

Those rallies had me smiling like an idiot :D

Ryu smiling enjoying himself was so nice to see and ofc Peco. Oh Peco!!! I'm friggin loving this guy too much >.<!! How he was saying Kazama is cool and "Love ya Dragon" XD

His moves after realizing he plays for the fun were so awesome. BA!

The black and white conversation between Kazama and Peco was so emotional. Both of them smiling after that made me smile :)

And also love how Wenge is commenting on how fun this game is.

As well as Smile not even watching the match from how much he trusts Peco :*)

Loved it! Can Smile vs Peco beat this? I can't friggin wait! If nxt ep is done right this is 10/10 material >.<
Barion-ZaraJun 12, 2014 10:57 AM
Jun 12, 2014 11:25 AM

Nov 2013

Bliss.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 12, 2014 11:26 AM

Oct 2013
This made me smile like an idiot, awesome shit.
Jun 12, 2014 11:29 AM
Jan 2013
I think i can die happy now... I dont even care if they don't show the match between smile and peco. This SHOW IS WHY I WATCH ANIME.
BRILLIANT EPISODE 10/10 GOD DAMMIT, WHY IS THIS SERIES SO SHORT X.X
kitkatxzJun 12, 2014 12:34 PM
Jun 12, 2014 11:51 AM
Apr 2013
Kazama: "Will you bring me here again?"

Peco: "..."

Kazama: "I see..."

*Cue Trance BGM*

Need I say more?

Jun 12, 2014 11:53 AM
Jun 2013
What a terrible way to ruin a series

The world champion losing to a injured player that was a total scrub player 1 year ago..

And we will never going to watch Kazama vs Smile now

All this just to show Smile smile because he can now play vs Peco pfff

How to rape a series...

Dont even feel like watching the last episode as it will just remind me how disappointment this was
Jun 12, 2014 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
I found the whole "hero" talk and the talk about "can people fly?" a little cheesy, but you definitely can't beat someone who enjoys the sport so much. Love ya, Peco
Jun 12, 2014 12:01 PM
Apr 2013
Bloody hell, though, this show. The look on Kazama's face as he looked up at the ball in those last few seconds of the episode... pure contentment. And Peco's own expression afterward. Amazing.

Dat Character Development. Doze Character Relationship Dynamics. This is it. This is why I still regard Steins;Gate and shows like it (this one) as the best anime I will ever see for years to come. I'm satisfied.

This is why you should give shows that look like they will reward you a chance regardless of genre and art style.

Jun 12, 2014 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
sirika said:

The world champion losing to a injured player that was a total scrub player 1 year ago..

How to rape a series...

Dont even feel like watching the last episode as it will just remind me how disappointment this was

you boy dont understand this series pls go watch no game no life where you can turn of your brain thx
Jun 12, 2014 12:09 PM
Nov 2012
Wow. That was amazing! I seriously cannot wait until next week's episode.
Jun 12, 2014 12:22 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Incredible match! I like how Smile and Peco both save each other. Even though Peco is the hero, Smile saved him (even though not directly). Peco plays best by his instincts and when he's having fun. I really like the flying motif, whether if it's the airplane, the birds, or the hero. I'm glad that Peco was able to make Kazama smile and enjoy the ping pong match. Why is this series so beautiful?
Jun 12, 2014 12:23 PM
Jun 2013
SeTzu said:
sirika said:

How to rape a series...

you boy dont understand this series pls go watch no game no life where you can turn of your brain thx

Ow i understand it alright.

I understand that this show was all about raping the hardworkers, and that talent is all it matters.

I can understand sakuma losing as he even admited that he had no talent at all, I can understand wenge losing as even if he had some talent he wasnt even worth being in the top team in china.

But when we talk about the fu**** WORLD CHAMPION losing to someone who was just a scrub one year ago and is FU*** INJURED this all turns into fairy tails material

The only reason Kazama lost was just because the writer decided that we need to watch the cheesy ending when Tsukimoto finally smiles again because he can play vs Peco. Thats really all.
Jun 12, 2014 12:30 PM
Jan 2013
sirika said:
SeTzu said:

I understand that this show was all about raping the hardworkers, and that talent is all it matters.

I can understand kazuma losing as he even admited that he had no talent at all, I can understand wenge losing as even if he had some talent he wasnt even worth being in the top team in china.

But when we talk about the fu**** WORLD CHAMPION losing to someone who was just a scrub one year ago and is FU*** INJURED this all turns into fairy tails material

The only reason Kazama lost was just because the writer decided that we need to watch the cheesy ending when Tsukimoto finally smiles again because he can play vs Peco. Thats really all.

Do you like depressing shit? Like cmon this is a sport anime at heart. Of course the MC is going to fucking win if you don't like that don't watch sports anime...
Jun 12, 2014 12:46 PM

Oct 2013
Man...I didn't expect Peco to win at all...I wanted him to win yeah, but I feel like Kazama should have won, and it looks like the hero saved Kazama. I wanted Kazama to be a little more intimidating, but I guess this was good enough. Although I agree, a world champion should not have lost to a guy with a serious handicap, but there were several points made that made it palpable for me. Anyways Peco taught Kazama the most important lesson in most sports anime and that is "to have fun".
Jun 12, 2014 12:56 PM
Jun 2013
kitkatxz said:

Do you like depressing shit? Like cmon this is a sport anime at heart. Of course the MC is going to fucking win if you don't like that don't watch sports anime...

Thats why i really hate this episode, Because this was the most depressive outcome.

Because it shows that no matterthe hardwork and effort you put it, someone injured and halftrained will just beat you..

Why humiliate kazama?
Why make him lose vs someone injured and halftrained?
If Pecos wins like this, what if he was actually at 100% and had time to train properly? That just makes all others players total scrubs if this is all it takes to beat the world champion.

If the writer really wanted the Peco vs Smile in the end why not injure Peco after the match instead of before? Or why not tell kazama that Yurie was leaving the country and make him realize that even if has being a successfull player he has being wasting the rest of his life, and somehow that would influence the match?

This was just lazing writing to put Peco in the finals

Not to mention that now we will never going to see Smile vs Kazama..just because kamaza inst the mc, so yeah he has to lose
sirikaJun 12, 2014 12:59 PM
Jun 12, 2014 1:00 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The artistry in this series is brilliant.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 12, 2014 1:00 PM

Mar 2012
@Regrading on what everyone is saying,

Honestly, I think Peco really exceeded past the talent and effort of Kazama in one. Yes, Kazama is the world champion ship and Peco had a serious handicap, but realize that Kazama worked through practically his entire life to work for this. Peco however had the advantage because his talent or will well exceeded his; Peco is able to absorb things like a sponge, that his ability to take in new actions and skills during matches is incredibly fast. Note how Peco has played throughout his life too, and although he has quite for a bit, he's really got into shape.

At that moment in the match, he realized that Ping Pong was not just to 'win'; to meet everyone's expectations and hold a status of world champion ship is part of why Kazama could've never really flew. Despite all his efforts, he never once realized that Ping Pong was a sport to enjoy and not one that pressurized the hell out of it. He had to isolate. THat's why he felt trapped, and going against Peco so like going against the one he wanted to be; the one he could've been, with more talent, skill and perception on how you should really play the game.

I know it does seem silly that Peco won after realizing a fact, but if you really think about the full depth of the characters, then I think it's perfectly justifiable.
Jun 12, 2014 1:14 PM

Jul 2012
THE CHILLS IM GETTING ARE FAR TOO MANY. THIS ANIME MAN.
Jun 12, 2014 1:21 PM

Oct 2011
Epic match. !!1
Jun 12, 2014 1:33 PM
Dec 2013
Good for Peco that he won.
And good for Kazama that he lost, he obviously needed that for a long time. It's not about winning Ping Pong but about winning life.

Seems like every character will come out of the series wiser and happier.
Jun 12, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2013
That was beautiful.
The OST reminded me of little big planet.
Jun 12, 2014 2:11 PM

Jun 2013
tommy73 said:
@Regrading on what everyone is saying,

At that moment in the match, he realized that Ping Pong was not just to 'win'; to meet everyone's expectations and hold a status of world champion ship is part of why Kazama could've never really flew. Despite all his efforts, he never once realized that Ping Pong was a sport to enjoy and not one that pressurized the hell out of it. He had to isolate. THat's why he felt trapped, and going against Peco so like going against the one he wanted to be; the one he could've been, with more talent, skill and perception on how you should really play the game.

I know it does seem silly that Peco won after realizing a fact, but if you really think about the full depth of the characters, then I think it's perfectly justifiable.

Well said. The author's point is NOT to say that hard work goes to waste and that in the end, it's all about the talent. They specifically showed that there's something more to the game than just talent and hard work: "having fun." You can't stop someone who enjoys the game more than life itself. Yes, talent and hard work make the solid foundation of any good player, but it's about how much you love the sport. Kazama hated the sport because all he got in the end was isolation and anguish. And that hate made him a strong player because like he said, "in an upward climb you can only climb up"; he had nowhere to go but up. However, Peco didn't need to climb because he already knew how to fly. He enjoys the sport so much that he wouldn't let a bad knee bother him from having fun playing against a great player like Kazama. This actually makes sense physically because of the endorphins (pleasure) and adrenaline he's getting from playing Kazama.

So we all feel something for Kazama because there was an indication that it's not enough sometimes to just work hard. But that's reality.

Just because Peco is the MC and he seemed to just be winning everything doesn't mean his wins are unjustified. Peco's played the sport all his life, but he just became too complacent after becoming good (he's pretty pathetic the first half of this show). He was all talent and no work. By making Peco win, the author is trying to make the point to never become complacent and waste your talent away. Anyone can shine like Peco as long as he/she put in the effort to expand the talent. And most of all, don't forget to have fun in that process.
pakokoJun 12, 2014 2:23 PM
Jun 12, 2014 2:15 PM

Jun 2012
Jun 12, 2014 2:22 PM

Jun 2014
Mmmm mmmmm. Havent seen such good gameplay since episode 1 or 2 i think. I was half expecting Peco's hurt knee to turn out being a bluff, but it all turned out good anyway. lol'd when Kazuma fell over the wall.
Jun 12, 2014 2:28 PM

Feb 2012
sirika said:
kitkatxz said:

Thats why i really hate this episode, Because this was the most depressive outcome.

Because it shows that no matterthe hardwork and effort you put it, someone injured and halftrained will just beat you..

Why humiliate kazama?
If Pecos wins like this, what if he was actually at 100% and had time to train properly? That just makes all others players total scrubs if this is all it takes to beat the world champion.

If the writer really wanted the Peco vs Smile in the end why not injure Peco after the match instead of before? Or why not tell kazama that Yurie was leaving the country and make him realize that even if has being a successfull player he has being wasting the rest of his life, and somehow that would influence the match?

Not to mention that now we will never going to see Smile vs Kazama..just because kamaza inst the mc, so yeah he has to lose

I don't think you understand the unpredictability of sports. The events that happened are not impossible like you make it out to seem. There also is such a thing as overtraining/overthinking btw. I don't know if you played any sort of competitive sport before, but putting yourself in a bad mental place only hinders you physically. sometimes you just gotta do it and not think, which kazama seemed to have a problem with.

Hard work =/= deserve to "win."
I know a lot of people that are going into medicine, and I can tell, the people that truly love it are the ones that will make great doctors, not whoever studied the hardest. But yes, talent is something that you aren't just born with. That's the reality of life. I don't know if Kazama lacked it or what, but in my opinion, he lost under different circumstances so I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Also, I find it kinda funny you thought this show had any lazy writing. Kazama losing was thematically perfect. Him and Smile had both shut themselves out from the world, and became "monsters" (although being 'good' on the inside, as described on the subway a few episodes back). The only thing that could stop them from destroying the city (themselves?) was a hero. Cheesy or not, it works.
idontwannapostJun 12, 2014 2:35 PM
Jun 12, 2014 2:33 PM
May 2014
sirika said:
kitkatxz said:

Why humiliate kazama?

1.About Kazama
In the manga Kazama was just a national champion. They turned him into world champion based on Koki Niwa's victory in the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics in the Table Tennis Singles category. However, Chinese people were absent. So even he is a "world" champion now. He is not as strong as you think. Peco has been training with adult's National team, where there are the best players and coach all over Japan. So this is possible.

2. Why peco should win
"I love this game!" - Michael Jordan
Peco wins because he loves this game more than anyone. He simply loves ping pong and nothing more.
Smile plays for Peco
Kong and Kazama play for their families.
Akuma plays for wish fulfillment: He envied Peco and works hard to humiliate him.
As for his knee injury, Never underestimate the power of adrenaline rush. I bet he will beat Smile even if smile don't want to go easy on him. His knee will be a major problem after the final match though. Maybe that's why the show ends here - it is predictable that he will not make it to the top in the end if the story goes on all the way to the world tournament. But he is now a true hero. He will find a path at that time.

3. "Staking Your Life On Table Tennis Is Revolting"
You still don't get it after 10 episodes, do you? Japanese people learnt this lesson through hard way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dkichi_Tsuburaya
This anime is not about winning or losing. There will be only one champion no matter how hard you try. However, losing a game does NOT mean the end of one's life. You can find serenity elsewhere. Kong's a coach now and he's happy with it. Akuma starts his life elsewhere and has a girlfriend now. Kazama's lost, but he will be happier. Maybe Kazama willl marry Yurie and continue his father's flower business, his father is always his hero. Find your true identity and you will live a much happier and more meaningful life.

4."Smile vs Kazama"?
If Taiyo Matsumoto wanted a final match between Smile and Kazama, he might as will let Peco drown in the sea in episode 6 so that Smile will avenge him. However this is boring because it is a shonen sport anime cliche (Exactly what happened in Touch). That's why I like this script much better. It is the script that makes the anime and the manga great. There is no point in turning a manga into anime after 18 years if it sucks. After all, 18 years is a long time for the history of anime.
lichtjahreJun 12, 2014 4:22 PM
Jun 12, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
wow, this episode was fucking amazing, this was something else wtf, just epic
Jun 12, 2014 2:43 PM

Oct 2013
sirika said:

How to rape a series...

this series isn't about winnig or loosing, is about the meaning of the ping pong for each character
Jun 12, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2009
Vexper said:

Bliss.

i actually cried after this scene ;_;

This was beautiful, 10/10
Jun 12, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2010
The hero's song!
All of Kazama's effort to be the strongest still lost. Kazama was intimidating until Peco played his game.
That lightning speed was pretty awesome. Kazama saw ping pong in a new light. Kazama might be able to play better now, to not be bound by anything like "duty".
Now for Peco versus Tsukimoto at the last episode! Can't wait for Smile to enjoy playing the match. Sports are fun when there is competition!
Talent and enjoying the match is too op!!! Still, Kazama put up a good fight. The hero versus the dragon.
Jun 12, 2014 3:41 PM

Mar 2012
Everything about this episode is excellent.
Jun 12, 2014 3:44 PM

Jul 2010
Guys, Peco had the talent all along (like Sakuma said), he has always been strong but, he neglected the training, underestimated himself and forgot the real meaning of playing Ping Pong. Furthermore, having fun against Kazama made him forget about his pain for the knee That's why this IS NOT an asspul by any means.

That said, this episode was a masterpiece. It was really beautiful and heartwarming, like every sport anime should be, but it doesn't deny the "talent", this is really important.

Oh the OST is amazing, it doesn't deserve to be ignored.
Jun 12, 2014 3:46 PM

Dec 2012
My favourite ping pong episode (unless the next one tops this). Loved it to bits!
It is not just about some underdog genius who rises up to be the best. Kazama and Peco both realized their own mistakes.
For Peco it was to realize his true playing style.
For Kazama it was to let go of his winning mentality and have fun.
Imho they both taught each other more about the sport.
Jun 12, 2014 4:22 PM

Oct 2008
Holy shit, this episode was glorious
Jun 12, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2009
that was one heck of a match but Peco is the hero so he wins lol
Jun 12, 2014 4:35 PM

Feb 2014
That was beautiful...
goshuJul 29, 2015 9:38 PM
Jun 12, 2014 5:05 PM

Jul 2012
What a match. The hero appears.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jun 12, 2014 5:10 PM

Dec 2013
lunamon said:
sirika said:

I can understand sakuma losing as he even admited that he had no talent at all, I can understand wenge losing as even if he had some talent he wasnt even worth being in the top team in china.

its an anime about ping pong please calm down

lunamon. you sir have just made my day, rofl
seems this dude was the type to believe that people can't fly huh.
-MihairuJun 12, 2014 5:14 PM
Jun 12, 2014 5:16 PM
Jul 2013
sirika said:
[

No you don't.
For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers.
Jun 12, 2014 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
It was an epic match between Peco and Kazama.

The black and white conversation between Peco and Kazama was so emotional.
Jun 12, 2014 6:19 PM
Jun 2014
Does anyone if the Trance music that comes on during the "hero" parts has a name and if so what is the name of the artist?
Jun 12, 2014 7:23 PM

May 2010
If only Masaaki Yuasa would direct anime series more often. Like at least one series every year or something...
Anyway, Ping Pong is definitely awesome(this episode particularly) and hopefuly the final episode will not disappoint.
Jun 12, 2014 7:24 PM

Mar 2010
Episode 10
Jun 12, 2014 7:31 PM

Aug 2013
It made me teary-eyed.

Upsets happen in real life. It's uncommon but it does happen so Peco taking down the top dog is nothing to be surprised about.

They both won. Peco has regained his true form and Kazama finally met the hero he has been waiting for and had fun while playing ping pong. Though if I was to weigh in on it, I'd say Kazama achieved a bigger victory with all the weight on his shoulders finally lifted. If he continues to play ping pong after this, he's going to be one hell of a player with his newfound perspective on the sport.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 12, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2013
brianwuzhere said:
Episode 10

amazing analysis dude.
#respect!

is the adventure time ep subbed? :o
Jun 12, 2014 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
The final episode will be amazing.
Jun 12, 2014 8:01 PM

Aug 2013
This episode, as well as half the other episodes, was PERFECT. ONLY ONE MORE EPISODE GAHHH but this anime has been brilliant. I want more work from this director.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

164 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 12:49 AM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.