Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2014 6:12 AM
Jun 2014
What do you guys think of the Dark Continent arc? Is anyone else excited?

The original crew may finally be reunited with the return of Leorio and Kurapika and we might also get to see Ging fucking shit up too which is interesting seeing as he's such as mysterious character.

I personally believe Chrollo Lucilfer may return as he's been out for quite awhile and with this we'd see more of the spider troupe in action as well in addition to Kurapika's appearance. It looks like many unexplored characters and realms of the HxH world will be revealed in this arc!

What are your thoughts and predictions of future events?

*this is my first thread ever on myanimelist so my apologies if I'm doing anything wrong, posting in the wrong place, etc*
Jun 12, 2014 7:02 AM
Jan 2013
xZoldyck said:

The original crew may finally be reunited with the return of Leorio and Kurapika and we might also get to see Ging fucking shit up too which is interesting seeing as he's such as mysterious character.

I personally believe Chrollo Lucilfer may return as he's been out for quite awhile and with this we'd see more of the spider troupe in action as well in addition to Kurapika's appearance. It looks like many unexplored characters and realms of the HxH world will be revealed in this arc!

*this is my first thread ever on myanimelist so my apologies if I'm doing anything wrong, posting in the wrong place, etc*

I think that Killua might kill Feitan.

If you don't know already Feitan's name might be based off the Greek mythological figure Phaethon, son of Oceanid Clymene and the solar deity Apollo aka Helios. The evidence is pretty much in his ability that he used to kill Zazan. Rising Sun, the ability to transmute his pain into heat which he emits in the air to create a sun.

Now in the mythology, Phaethon goes to his mother for confirmation that his father is in fact Helios, the sun god. His mother assures him then tells him to visit Helios so he can confirm it himself. He asked Helios for proof that he was his child and Helios grants him whatever he wanted. Phaethon insisted that he drive the chariot that Helios uses to move the sun. Phaethon lost control of the horses and to prevent the earth from being burned Zeus killed him with a thunderbolt.

There's only one user who can use lightning and that's Killua, another Transmuter who can change his aura into electricity. So what do you guys think? Will Feitan be killed by Killua?
Jun 12, 2014 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
For now, I'm just excited at the possibilities of the characters we already know are in this arc. Hopefully, we'll finally see Kurapika's last chain and, yeah, I would personally love if the Troupe was involved somehow. Though I'm not going to get to amped up for stuff that may or may not happen. I'll just let Togashi take me where he wants.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 12, 2014 9:39 AM
Jun 2014
Viltsu300 said:

If you don't know already Feitan's name might be based off the Greek mythological figure Phaethon, son of Oceanid Clymene and the solar deity Apollo aka Helios. The evidence is pretty much in his ability that he used to kill Zazan. Rising Sun, the ability to transmute his pain into heat which he emits in the air to create a sun.

Now in the mythology, Phaethon goes to his mother for confirmation that his father is in fact Helios, the sun god. His mother assures him then tells him to visit Helios so he can confirm it himself. He asked Helios for proof that he was his child and Helios grants him whatever he wanted. Phaethon insisted that he drive the chariot that Helios uses to move the sun. Phaethon lost control of the horses and to prevent the earth from being burned Zeus killed him with a thunderbolt.

There's only one user who can use lightning and that's Killua, another Transmuter who can change his aura into electricity. So what do you guys think? Will Feitan be killed by Killua?

That's an interesting theory you've got there, also does seem legit now that Killua is able to fight on par with a spider troupe member unlike back in the Yorknew City arc where he had no choice but to flee. Feitan vs. Killua looks like it'd be an epic fight between two assassins as well so would be awesome if it actually happens. However I'm guessing Feitan has other killer moves on top of rising sun as his allies had to escape its radius so I wonder how Killua would overcome that obstacle.

insan3Spectre said:
For now, I'm just excited at the possibilities of the characters we already know are in this arc. Hopefully, we'll finally see Kurapika's last chain and, yeah, I would personally love if the Troupe was involved somehow. Though I'm not going to get to amped up for stuff that may or may not happen. I'll just let Togashi take me where he wants.

Yeah, endless possibilities with all the characters that Togashi is introducing and bringing in right now. Definitely won't be disappointed with the outcome!
xZoldyckJun 12, 2014 9:49 AM
Jun 12, 2014 10:38 AM
Jun 2014
xZoldyck said:

I cant wait for this ark!! It's going to be so epic and finally we'll get to see some of our favourite characters again. And if Ging comes in and makes some mindblowing moves my life will be complete.

It's be nice to see more of what Chrollo is capable of, he hasnt shown much yet, only that he is strong and smart. I want to see why he'd be able to beat netero. Speaking of which, i hope they would build more upon hisoka and showw off more of his skillsets, because back then he was very keen on fighting Netero without know what the chairman was capable of! Do you think he sensed Neteros power? Would he even last a second? And if he has a showdown against Chrollo in the future, who will win?
Jun 12, 2014 2:43 PM

Jun 2012
This is where hunter x hunter truly begins. It's gonna be epic, even if gon and killua aren't in it.

Just need the phantom troupe in there and it will be the best. I love those guys.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jun 12, 2014 3:01 PM

Apr 2012
jimbob1141 said:
This is where hunter x hunter truly begins. It's gonna be epic, even if gon and killua aren't in it.

Just need the phantom troupe in there and it will be the best. I love those guys.

People keep acting like Gon/Killua aren't gonna be in this arc at all. I don't understand where that thought process comes from.
Jun 12, 2014 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
the thing that bothers me about the dark continent is why the humans cannot take surveillance satellites or surveillance drones on the dark continent to demystify it and make a better map of the dark continent, i hope Togashi will answer that question or im calling a plot hole about it considering the humans have the technology to do it anyway
Jun 12, 2014 3:34 PM
Dec 2011
Since HxH is back, each chapter had something in it that kept me amazed. It always delivers. I love Togashi's originality and vast imagination.
The surrealistic DC and its 5 Calamity's? Marvelous.
The idea that the whole world is just an archipelago in a lake somwhere on the Dark Continent? Genius I say!
And this week marks a return of Kurapika and Leorio (one of my favs). Things are getting very interesting. I have my hopes up.

As for my ideas for this arc? Well I can think all I want but Togashi will probably surprise me again. The thing I love most about hunter is that this is a deconstructed shounen. Its rich, imaginative and mature. I can usually predict what will happen in a series. In case of HxH though you always end up shocked!
Its not a typical shounen... For me its more like Osamu Tezuka's Hi no Tori - an authors lifetime work.

Let's try anyway... I really think that Togashi will make a return with the spiders. They have a lot of love from fans but barely enough "screen time". Kurapika is here so I guess they will appear as well. The time is just about right to reintruduce them.

Also a lot of people are pointing out that Alluka might come from the DC. If that is correct then a lot of stuff might happen. Counting in that Killua will probably find out that Kalluto is one of the Ryodan. Maybe Killua and Alluka will have to run from the Zoldyck's and get her back there? Maybe Silva will hire the Ryodan to kill her since she is too dangerous? Im really just guessing... its just that I dont think that Gon and Killua will actually sit that arc out, but I also suggest that not everyone might travel to DC in the same boat.

Another thing... I did not forget Gyro (Jairo). Im not sure he will make an appearance but just saying... he is out there somewhere. Maybe he will return in the next arc.

Im wondering what are Togashi's plasns for Hisoka. I know not everyone will return but Hisoka is actually one of the more powerful hunters in the association. Then again if Crollo would be involved Hisoka would surely too... Just think of Hisoka's boner when he'd see Gon in his max power form (I know he can't really do that transformation again but just saying... Hisoka would totally be pissed if he'd known he missed that sight!).

Finally I think everyone is itching right now to see more of the Zodiacs, Ging's and Pariston's powers. I would especially like to know what Pariston is planning and what are his real motives. Very happy about him being a major character in this story.

One last thing. If the Zoldycks would have a large involvement (Im saying "IF") then it would be nice to finally get to know Maha and his wife better. We know he has a wife - her silhouette has been already showed. Probably cause Yoshihiro has his hand in the creation of 2011 anime. Maybe he delibrately flashed her in there so he could introduce her properly in one of the next arc's?
Jun 12, 2014 3:37 PM

Jul 2007
Togashi is really building this arc towards something pretty grand. The set up and world building in these last few chapters has been excellent and really shows the lvl of urgency this dark continent entails. Also the fact that the dark continent is in fact the entire world and everything we ever knew that took place with in the series/manga, was in fact an island isolated from the outside world. It kind brings to question just how did the world become shrouded in this kind of darkness and also what dangers lie in weight if its something immense, will humanity ever find a way to escape to freedom and reclaim the rest of there lands?

This is of course thinking far ahead but its just something that has been weighing on my mind and this might be something that togashi might be exploring further down the line.

Also with the recent chapter, the significance of leoro and kurapica's role in this arc is just going to be amazing. After all people from wiki disregarded them as main characters especially leoro. I like the fact that togashi is giving him a much higher role this time around.

I really don't even care at this point if gon/killua is not in the arc, we just watched an entire arc where they took pretty much center stage in nearly every event in the CA arc. So the lack of them won't really phase me one bit.

The only thing i have to worry bout now is if togashi can keep up the momentum and it doesn't end up like berserk.
ArtimesGamerJun 12, 2014 3:44 PM

Jun 12, 2014 3:50 PM
Dec 2011
MysticGoose said:

People keep acting like Gon/Killua aren't gonna be in this arc at all. I don't understand where that thought process comes from.

I think this all comes from the fact that Togashi did not introduce them as of yet in this arc. Though for some reason everyone think's they are main characters I think the last two arcs showed exactly that they are not the most important. Unlike other anime/manga the plot in HxH can actually develop pretty cool without their necessary presence.

Anyway I for one don't believe they will sit this one out. They might not be in the expedition but they will appear probably one way or another.
Altough I would not be surprised if they really would just be forgotten in this arc - afterall this is Togashi and all this falls perfectly with his whole deconstructed shounen thing...

We will see - either way it goes I'm expecting it.
Jun 13, 2014 2:00 AM
Jun 2014
IImaFreecss said:
I cant wait for this ark!! It's going to be so epic and finally we'll get to see some of our favourite characters again. And if Ging comes in and makes some mindblowing moves my life will be complete.

It's be nice to see more of what Chrollo is capable of, he hasnt shown much yet, only that he is strong and smart. I want to see why he'd be able to beat netero. Speaking of which, i hope they would build more upon hisoka and showw off more of his skillsets, because back then he was very keen on fighting Netero without know what the chairman was capable of! Do you think he sensed Neteros power? Would he even last a second? And if he has a showdown against Chrollo in the future, who will win?

Yeah Chrollo is someone I definitely want to see in action, even Zeno believed that he wouldn't be able to beat Chrollo in a real fight! I wonder what other skills he's got in his little magic book. I honestly think that Hisoka would put up a good fight against Chrollo/Netero as we haven't seen him backed into a corner throughout the whole series nor fighting at full power. He also pretty much backstabbed the Spider Troupe and gave no fucks LOL

pazZzurro said:
As for my ideas for this arc? Well I can think all I want but Togashi will probably surprise me again. The thing I love most about hunter is that this is a deconstructed shounen. Its rich, imaginative and mature. I can usually predict what will happen in a series. In case of HxH though you always end up shocked!
Its not a typical shounen... For me its more like Osamu Tezuka's Hi no Tori - an authors lifetime work.

Agreed, I think HxH is one of the most unpredictable series out there. I like how people like Netero actually die and it's not always the good guys that somehow prevail without making major sacrificies (e.g. Fairy Tail).

I definitely want to see Killua's reaction to his own family member being in the Ryodan and how that'll unfold when Kurapika may aim to kill Kalluto as part of his vengeance. I reckon Hisoka will definitely appear in this arc and fuck shit up like always and if any of the other Zoldycks would appear it'd be Illumi seeing as he's got his eyes set on Alluka and is allies with Hisoka.
Jun 13, 2014 2:08 AM
Jun 2014
link9us said:
Togashi is really building this arc towards something pretty grand. The set up and world building in these last few chapters has been excellent and really shows the lvl of urgency this dark continent entails. Also the fact that the dark continent is in fact the entire world and everything we ever knew that took place with in the series/manga, was in fact an island isolated from the outside world. It kind brings to question just how did the world become shrouded in this kind of darkness and also what dangers lie in weight if its something immense, will humanity ever find a way to escape to freedom and reclaim the rest of there lands?

This is of course thinking far ahead but its just something that has been weighing on my mind and this might be something that togashi might be exploring further down the line.

Also with the recent chapter, the significance of leoro and kurapica's role in this arc is just going to be amazing. After all people from wiki disregarded them as main characters especially leoro. I like the fact that togashi is giving him a much higher role this time around.

I really don't even care at this point if gon/killua is not in the arc, we just watched an entire arc where they took pretty much center stage in nearly every event in the CA arc. So the lack of them won't really phase me one bit.

The only thing i have to worry bout now is if togashi can keep up the momentum and it doesn't end up like berserk.

Yeah I'm hoping there's a history behind how the Dark Continent came to be and why humans are on nothing but a tiny island in the middle of a whole different world. I'm also hoping Leorio picked up some nen during the years so he'd at least be able to fend for himself as the other team members must be leagues ahead of him by now.
Jun 13, 2014 9:12 AM

Jun 2009
Did Leorio not use nen to attack Ging in the Election arc?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 13, 2014 9:33 AM
Jun 2014
insan3Spectre said:
Did Leorio not use nen to attack Ging in the Election arc?

My bad, I meant as in refining his nen because I'm sure Gon/Killua have received much more training than him through the years.
Jun 13, 2014 2:23 PM
Dec 2011
xZoldyck said:

Agreed, I think HxH is one of the most unpredictable series out there. I like how people like Netero actually die and it's not always the good guys that somehow prevail without making major sacrificies (e.g. Fairy Tail).

I definitely want to see Killua's reaction to his own family member being in the Ryodan and how that'll unfold when Kurapika may aim to kill Kalluto as part of his vengeance. I reckon Hisoka will definitely appear in this arc and fuck shit up like always and if any of the other Zoldycks would appear it'd be Illumi seeing as he's got his eyes set on Alluka and is allies with Hisoka.

Wow. Yeah.. that... I don't want to turn this into FT hating or something but I agree 100% with you there. I have seen the entire first series and I must say this is one of the most easy-going shounen's out there. There never is any training. MC wins easily with anyone by just clubberin him in the name of friendship (even if he fights against guys he is not supposed to win with - Master Zero or Hades...). You litteraly never have to fear about any character from the guild as its almost certain they will get out of every predicament. This is an exact opposite of Hunter x Hunter. A lot of high powered up fighting, but little logic and originality. Fairy Tail is so predictable it becomes pointless to watch/read, while HxH's plot and clever twists are one its strongest points without a doubt.
But nevermind...

About the second part you wrote... yes, exactly my point there. I mean, there has to be a conflict between Kaluto, Killua and Kurapika. You can clearly see that. Wonder how will it go down.

On a side note I forgot to mention all those wonderful characters introduced in CA arc. I instantly fell in love for guys like Ikalgo, Knuckle or Morel/Moreau. And after seeing them fight I add respect to that. I know Togashi wont fit every damn character I like into this new story but I hope at least we will see some of those guys return. If not now then perhaps in the next arc...
Jun 14, 2014 1:48 AM

May 2010
Hey how frequent are Hunter x Hunter chapters? Are they weekly?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 14, 2014 1:58 AM
Dec 2012
It's weekly until new dragon quest game will be announced.
Jun 14, 2014 2:33 AM

Feb 2014
Nemesis0 said:
It's weekly until new dragon quest game will be announced.

I pray they broke down for the sake of Togashi.
Jun 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2008
With Ging and Pariston getting the chimeras involved in the expedition, I think that the only way of Gon making his way into this arc is if he goes with Kaito. Whether or not Gon plays a part in this arc, I have a feeling Kaito will be a major character, (s)he was born prematurely but could become as powerful as the royal guard, if not the king (before the late arc powerups when he ate Youpi & Pouf). But maybe it will just be Kurapika and Leorio this arc for sake of balance.

On a side not, the way Togashi is setting this arc up makes it seem like it could be as long as the Chimera Ant arc, which really makes me dread another hiatus.
Jun 18, 2014 3:13 AM

Jun 2012
MysticGoose said:
jimbob1141 said:

I'm not acting like they aren't going to be in it, i'm just accepting it as a possibility. And also saying that the arc would be good both ways.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jun 18, 2014 8:29 AM
Jun 2010
MysticGoose said:
jimbob1141 said:

Yeah, I felt like one of the few that didn't assume that. Perhaps it's the fact that they haven't been introduced while the other two mains have which would also support the fact that they haven't been active in the series for a while whereas the Gon and Killua have been the main dudes in the last two major arcs. I think people assume that Kurapika and Leorio being introduced in this arc and the other two not being introduced would be Togashi putting some balance into the series by giving those two their spotlight but Togashi is really unpredictable so, while it makes sense what I said, he'd probably not go that route. Love him for that.

pazZzurro said:

Exactly. It has originality, unpredictability and much much more. Also how well done some aspects of it are (Nen is the best power system I've seen in any series). I can also predict where things are headed in many series or at least not be too worried for anything major happening in them but not with HxH which is why it's my favorite shonen.
Ollyx2OxenFreeJun 18, 2014 8:32 AM

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Jun 27, 2014 7:48 AM

May 2014
Viltsu300 said:
xZoldyck said:

Wow, that's bravo! Nice theory you have there! i wouldn't have a problem if we will go that route. I'll be really interesting to see people fight with the same nen type.
The world is not what it seems.
Jul 6, 2014 4:59 PM
Jan 2013
j0x said:
the thing that bothers me about the dark continent is why the humans cannot take surveillance satellites or surveillance drones on the dark continent to demystify it and make a better map of the dark continent, i hope Togashi will answer that question or im calling a plot hole about it considering the humans have the technology to do it anyway

since a month have past and we know that they have knowledge of the terrain and the inhabitants it is likely that they recon the area before because we can see images of places and such
Sep 1, 2014 11:51 AM

Jun 2012
MysticGoose said:
Id prefer it if the main characters in this arc were leorio and kurapika. Gon and killua got greed island and chimera ant arc to themselves so togashi should give some screen time to the other main characters. And besides they dont really have any purpose in this arc. Killua plans on visiting places with alluka and gon needs to learn how to get his nen back.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 13, 2014

6 by Waddledont »»
Apr 14, 5:16 PM

» Chapter 401 will come out

georgecretuu1 - Mar 10, 2023

14 by StardustCursader »»
Apr 12, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 391 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManWild - Oct 20, 2022

62 by removed-user »»
Mar 7, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 1 Discussion

Canute - Jun 1, 2013

16 by Joel77 »»
Feb 28, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 51 Discussion

Terrestrious - Jul 25, 2014

4 by Farm-key »»
Feb 18, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.