Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 22 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2009 6:19 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yang finally speaks. I'm trying to convince myself his voice is different because he's younger, but the voice acting is so lethargic it ruins the illusion. A shame.

Awesome battles though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 6, 2010 9:33 AM

Sep 2008
yea I was wondering what happened to his voice haha
anyways, I thought Yang and Reinhard first clashed in the "my conquest.." movie, but turns out they had crossed their swords before. Although they weren't aware of each other and Yang wasn't directly involved in the battle, but this would count the first face off I think
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 6, 2010 8:53 AM

Dec 2008
Yang sounds different...
Jul 6, 2010 11:07 AM

Jan 2008
Just to confirm for people watching this episode and wondering why Yang sounds like that: the original voice actor died. :(
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 6, 2010 3:28 PM

Dec 2008
Beatnik said:
Just to confirm for people watching this episode and wondering why Yang sounds like that: the original voice actor died. :(

I knew he had died recently but I had no idea he died before the end of the franchise.
Jul 15, 2010 12:51 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah, that's sad to hear. The original actor had such an excellent voice. He put fourth so much emotional and soul into each episode.
Sep 30, 2010 12:23 AM

Sep 2008
I actually like the new noice. Its great, although the original actor fit the bill better
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 6, 2010 5:32 PM

Feb 2010
The new voice totally ruins ot for me :/
I loved his old voice actor :( It's a shame he died..

I hope I get used to it otherwise Spiral Labyrinth will be a pain.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 7, 2010 11:02 AM
May 2010
Haha, now I know why they didn't have Yang speak in the previous episodes.

Whatever, his new voice isn't that bad... and it can't be helped because the old seiyuu died... I just have to get used to it.
Nov 24, 2010 7:26 AM

Jun 2009
His voice actor is good, it's just the original voice for Yang was probably one of the greatest performances in anime history. Kind of feel bad for the guy replacing him. Either way, it was cool to see that Yang was a nuisance to Reinhard even back in the day.

God, I love that guy.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 8, 2011 11:17 AM

Apr 2009
Beatnik said:

Ah too bad, so that's why I was having these thoughts while watching... "So now he finally speaks. Wait, that's his voice before? No, maybe I'm wrong. I just watched the main OVA last year, did I become senile like old Grimmelshausen that fast? No, it's different. CHIGAU!!!!" XD Seriously though, I think I'm gonna miss the original voice.

So it seems Bittenfeld had been initially and unknowingly under the command of Reinhard in this episode, very interesting.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 27, 2011 8:29 AM

Sep 2008
tofei said:
Beatnik said:

Ah too bad, so that's why I was having these thoughts while watching... "So now he finally speaks. Wait, that's his voice before? No, maybe I'm wrong. I just watched the main OVA last year, did I become senile like old Grimmelshausen that fast? No, it's different. CHIGAU!!!!" XD Seriously though, I think I'm gonna miss the original voice.

lol...my first thought was that he had caught a cold or something :P but then I recalled reading somewhere that his seiyuu died before the prequel Ova's :/
Mar 29, 2011 11:04 AM

Feb 2010
Bittenfeld! Finally the hero arrives!
Feb 10, 2012 1:40 PM

May 2009
Yang's voice. ;__;

Also, "The other officers knew it (Yang's El-Facil heroics) but tended to dismiss it as a fluke having seen his behaviour first hand." How rude! X(
Nov 27, 2012 4:17 AM

Nov 2010
Finally, these turn of events was what I was hoping for. Rienhard's and Yang's first battle sent chills down my spine.
and
insan3soldiern said:
Either way, it was cool to see that Yang was a nuisance to Reinhard even back in the day.

God, I love that guy.
Oct 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Nov 2009
I think that might be one of the only encounters where Yang's strategy was able to (and did) consist of more ships than Reinhard's . . . Anyways the idea that he was just testing maneuvers like that was rather funny.
Dec 23, 2014 1:30 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice development, let's see what's next!
Jan 4, 2015 4:40 PM

Jul 2011
Yang's VA sounds bland. It's not bad, but I think the previous one had a better expression (of laziness) in his voice.

Anyways, it's always fun to watch these two clash. :D
Jan 6, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2014
I know it's been a while since I watched Spiral Labyrinth, but I was convinced that Yang's voice had changed. I mean, it has, technically, but it's the same voice actor who played in Spiral Labyrinth. Anyway, the only reason I mention it is because I felt I liked this voice a lot more!

Yang didn't feel quite so boring in the episode. Unlike in Spiral Labyrinth, we got to see a little bit more of his personality. 'Good-for-nothing-Yang' is exactly how I felt about him before, but now I don't know.

I had a good chuckle over the narrator's comments towards the Alliance soldiers, after they faced Reinhard in battle and were so flippant about his accomplishments:

Too true, man...

I'm very much enjoying this, and I'm actually quite pleased to see Yang back. Who could have guessed?!
Ph4ntomR3qJan 6, 2016 12:22 PM
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Jun 24, 2016 1:04 AM

Feb 2016
As usual leave it to the incompetence of the FPA to let golden opportunities waltz right past them.

_____

Unlike the OVA and movies, this series does an excellent job in focussing and highlighting ground warfare and their constituents. The action was genuinely exciting, gritty and leaving it with a touch of sophistication if you dislike mindless action. It also expertly pays homage to the OVA with references littered here and there. Bittenfeld says hi, Kesler reappears, twin stars were shown a few episode back and Eisenarch, cool as bananas silently tries to restrain Reinhard at the meeting.

I would've given this series a 10, but honestly the military police arc did nothing for me as well as the other arcs not relating to home being a bit lack-lustre. When I mean nothing, I mean across the board it ticked few boxes for me, it felt like a chore to watch their investigative work as well as a genuine disinterest in the culprit. We learn nothing meaningful of the characters and the world they reside in, it just comes off as filler to me. Everything else, fantastic. If it had being any other series, it would be much easier to be less critical, but this is LOGH we're talking about.
Cloud_IllusionsJun 24, 2016 1:07 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Oct 23, 2016 4:16 AM

Jun 2016
Bittenfeldo! Took out two ships with his own, that lovely, belligerent bastard. Reinhard has a good eye.

This was a *lot* like the original OVA episodes, a modicum of conversation between great characters and lots and lots of fleet battling. Good stuff. Now to not get tempted to watch the main series all over again. I miss original Yang's voice too. This one's "good-for-nothing".
Dec 3, 2016 5:51 PM

Mar 2016
It's very interesting to see the characters before their main series incarnations: Yang is going unrecognized, Reinhard has to follow orders, and Bittenfeld isn't being a total fuckup like he's known for being in the ova.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jul 24, 2019 5:16 PM

Feb 2017
"Truth is the daughter of Time. If you find out the truth too soon, the child may not be born in good health...and the mother may be endangered, too."
Sep 4, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2016
If the stupid Alliance command were not stingy they could have annihilated Reinhard easily.... well I actually should thank them cause the story would have ended here.
Feb 23, 2020 10:14 PM

Jan 2016
#NotMyYang. Disappointed that the producers are fucking morons. Japan has a population of like 120 million people. They couldn't have done auditions to find someone that actually sounds like Yang's original VA?
Feb 14, 2021 3:26 PM

Feb 2012
A Hundred Billion Stars, a Hundred Billion Lights chapter 10 (episode 18 in some orders).

Grimmelshausen is nearing death...perhaps something in his will that could be of assistance to Reinhard?

The Alliance higher ups just being idiots.

(Reading earlier posts) oh, I didn't know that Yang's VA from the original OVA had died before the Side-Stories were even made, tough act to follow.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 24, 2023 11:53 AM

Aug 2018
Really nice seeing characters like Yang and Bitterfeld appear in this episode, 

Reinahrd seems to be using every opportunity of the higher in command incompetences just to gain his own personal advantage and accolades

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

22 by Ten »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

35 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.