Forum Settings
Forums

[BUG] Removal of backslashes when editing forum posts

New
Sep 30, 2009 12:14 AM

May 2008
severity: minor

description:
When editing any forum post, the post content has all backslashes removed from the text. Backslashes in new posts are not removed when posted; only the version retrieved using ajax in the edit field.

This is particularly annoying for those who post code snippets... :<

steps to reproduce:
click to edit this post and you will not the see backslahes below this line...
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

I am a banana.
Sep 30, 2009 12:15 AM

Apr 2008
would be nice, as mr. happy emote wouldn't lose an arm each time he is quoted:

\o/

Sep 30, 2009 12:17 AM

May 2008
Saitoe said:
would be nice, as mr. happy emote wouldn't lose an arm each time he is quoted:

o/

yes!

I am a banana.
Sep 30, 2009 11:41 AM

Feb 2008
Xinxin is sanitizing his inputs to the max?
Oct 7, 2009 5:32 PM

Apr 2008
bump w/ additional info.

If either your profile or signature has backslashes in them, then each time you go to edit profile or signature, the backslashes are automatically removed. This is a problem for those with bunny signatures/profiles.

Oct 7, 2009 8:10 PM

May 2008
they are stripped from content anywhere they are retrieved from the database... so that means quoting, editing, signatures, profiles, blogs, comments, etc.

it doesn't strip them from the text you write and submit to the database, of course.... and since the backslashes are displayed in the forums obviously they are stored in the database. It's just the retrieval function that's stripping them... maybe they're used to escape unicode or something in the database? ....there's really no excuse though.

I am a banana.
Oct 7, 2009 10:04 PM

Aug 2007
On the flip side, if you use This -----> ' <------- in a manga summary, it will automatically look like -----> / ' <------- in the preview.

I think the DB has an issue with slashes ><

Apr 22, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2009
First of all, you have to write two backslashes in the title for one of them actually to appear. Every time the first message in the thread is edited, two backslashes in a row become one in the title, and if the number of backslashes is odd, the last one disappears as well

After you edited General Settings in your profile, part of the backslashes in "About Me" or "My Notes" disappears (but not all). It's like this: four backslashes in a row become one; if there are less, they disappear.
I'll show it with an example. My "About Me":

My About Me in the General Settings after I have pressed "Save Changes":

When you quote backslashes, part of it disappears. When you try to edit your own post with backslashes, part of it disappears. It's like this: eight backslashes in a row become one; if there are less, they disappear. Quote my message to see how many of the backslashes are left:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

1 by JackAward »»
38 minutes ago

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Yesterday, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.