Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 19 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2009 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
HAHA. Ovlessor's living room was so TACKY it horrified Elizabeth to the point of passing out.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 16, 2009 9:15 PM

Aug 2009
I think Ovlessor may be the most intimidating character in LoGH.

He sits down in a bathrobe and automatically all power in the room as shifted to him.

Simply amazing.
Jan 6, 2010 5:45 AM

Sep 2008
I really like the old man now. At first I thought his senses have all gone out, but he is very perceptive I must say
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 17, 2010 12:21 PM

May 2010
Ha! plan backfired.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 4, 2010 6:56 PM

Feb 2010
The old man seems to be slow but his brain still works fine.
And I totally agree about Ovlesser being intimidating. I wouldn't want to fight against him in close combat.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 23, 2010 5:50 PM

Jun 2009
eyerok said:
I really like the old man now. At first I thought his senses have all gone out, but he is very perceptive I must say

This. That one scene completely changed my thinking as regards to him.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 7, 2011 3:41 AM

Apr 2009
"I hate that blond brat, but...I hate you, too." I had laughed my ass off when he said that to Luneberg in a literal in-your-face fashion. :D

So Grimmelshausen isn't that too senile after all. :)
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 1, 2011 1:44 PM

May 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The old man seems to be slow but his brain still works fine.
And I totally agree about Ovlesser being intimidating. I wouldn't want to fight against him in close combat.

I always got an Emperor Claudius vibe from Grimmelshausen and this episode basically confirmed my suspicions that he was much more perceptive than he seemed. Grimmelshausen may well be the best new character introduced in this OVA, he's certainly one of the most intriguing.
Jun 7, 2013 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
I thought Ovlesser was gonna take a bite out of the glass he was drinking from after he finished chewing up his ice. He certainly showed Luneberg he's not someone he can manipulate.

As for Grimmelshausen, definitely more perceptive than he has appeared in the past. He may not be the best fleet commander but with age he as acquired the ability to read people. It is hard to say whether or not he would support Reinhard if he knew what he was planning or not but I would guess that at his age he would probably just sit back and enjoy the show the Reinhard would put on.
Oct 10, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2009
Every time I see that old admiral I'm just expecting him to kind of . . . Die. I mean he really does seem like he could drop dead at any moment.
Dec 13, 2014 5:59 PM

May 2012
Awesome episode! Really loved this one and well let's see what the last one has to offer from this arc of the 7th part of the story!
Feb 15, 2015 6:45 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ovlessor is the scariest single character in LOGH. Talk about intimidating.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 21, 2016 11:28 AM

Mar 2016
Ovesslor was a pleasant surprise, this appearance gives him some depth. Turns out he isn't just a brutal savage, he is actually a smart and perceptive man inclined towards brutal savagery, with some backbone, even.

Grimmelshausen had a pretty short 1 hour chat. It looks like his task was to assess Reinhard's character and intent for the emperor, which is something that didn't seem unlikely from the start, given Grimmelhausen's special status with the emperor, and given that the emperor, in the main OVA, knew more about Reinhard's character and intent than it was possible from short official contacts.

Grimmelshausen was probably vital in the emperor's decision to really back Reinhard to the end.
Jul 23, 2019 5:32 PM

Feb 2017
Luneberg's wife is beautiful. They made her deep-set eyes so pretty. Too bad he treats her so poorly.
Jan 31, 2020 2:12 PM

Nov 2016
Two highlights in this episode. First Ovlesser being so damn GAR.

And Grimmels proved that he can't be underestimated.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2020 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
I'm surprised that Reinhard feels more pity for Luneberg than for his wife.

Since the start I've already suspected that Grimmelshausen is more perceptive than he lets on. Reinhard is naturally being suspicious of him, since he has an aversion for any of the higher nobility. That sometimes can cloud his judgement, Kircheis is more open and perceptive. Reinhards arrogant and condescending behavior towards Grimmelshausen got on my nerve sometimes though, since Grimmelshausen didn't seem to be antagonistic at all.
Sep 15, 2020 9:49 AM

Feb 2012
Poor Elisabeth, having to go with Lüneburg drags to visit Ovlesser with him. The weapons and animals Ovlesser uses to decorate his interior with gave her a panic attack. Ovlesser doesn't appear to like either Lüneburg or von Müsel.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 22, 2023 12:32 AM

Aug 2018
Ovlesser pretty much stole the episode, his dominance cannot be ignored 

Such a shame and disgrace that Lunerberg continues to treat his wife like that, she really deserves better treatment than shown here

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

22 by Ten »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

35 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.