Forum Settings
Forums

Is it just me or are there no ugly and fat girls in anime today?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 6, 2014 1:46 PM

Aug 2013
Does an anime not appeal to you unless there's an ugly fat girl, doing ugly fat things?
P DOPE.
Jun 6, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2010
It is really rare - the only at least chubby girl I remember out of the top of my head was the female MC of "Real Drive". (and everyone in the forum was apparently bothered by it ^^)
AsturaetusJun 6, 2014 1:57 PM
Jun 6, 2014 2:19 PM

May 2013
Thats because no one likes ugly characters that they cant see themselves with.... its a horrible truth but sex sales and everybody's buying, thats a song lyric btw lol
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
Jun 6, 2014 2:25 PM

Nov 2011
Jody32 said:
DragonQuest3 said:
Do I seem like a jackass who watches Harems?
Harem does not equal bad.
I was joking around, though I don't see City Hunter as a harem at least not in the usual sense.

Ratohnhaketon said:
This isn't exclusive to anime, it's been a very common trademark of entertainment to use attractive characters. Go watch a Spanish soap opera and tell me how many darker skinned main characters you see. Most people want something that is visually pleasing and it would be rather lame to have purposely ugly characters just for the sake of it.

The only time less than perfect characters enhance the experience is when it's meant to be a down to earth portrayal of real people (Monster does this well).

Even Hollywood films have no issue sticking a fat girl or two in a classroom >.>
Jun 6, 2014 4:30 PM

May 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
Well of course ugly characters aren't used. They aren't appealing at all. In fact, they often repel fans, causing sales to go down tremendously. I mean look what happened with Accel World. Sure, it wasn't a failure by any means, but a fair few people were turned off by the main character.
I'm not talking about ugly MCs. I just mean side characters or within the class. Moe girls are ugly.

I wasn't talking about MCs either. I was talking about all anime characters.

I did read your previous posts ya know, genericusername1.
Jun 6, 2014 4:31 PM
Jan 2013
Thank God there isn't. Why would I want to see fat girls? Eww.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2014 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
DragonQuest3 said:

Ratohnhaketon said:
This isn't exclusive to anime, it's been a very common trademark of entertainment to use attractive characters. Go watch a Spanish soap opera and tell me how many darker skinned main characters you see. Most people want something that is visually pleasing and it would be rather lame to have purposely ugly characters just for the sake of it.

The only time less than perfect characters enhance the experience is when it's meant to be a down to earth portrayal of real people (Monster does this well).

Even Hollywood films have no issue sticking a fat girl or two in a classroom >.>

But how many of them are the main character and get to shag guys like Taylor Lautner? You're never going to see a hot and heavy sex scene with a fat, ugly girl in a Hollywood film. But that's not fair, because they have sex too.
Jun 6, 2014 5:20 PM

May 2010
Princess Jellyfish has some unattractive and even overweight girls in it. But I do agree that most anime don't feature enough diversity...
Jun 6, 2014 5:22 PM

Jul 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
What about AOTY 2013?

All these Aku no Hana references in your latest posts

side note I hate how people point out unibrow guy, he has a unibrow in the manga too
Jun 6, 2014 5:42 PM

Dec 2013
It's been said dozens of times in this thread, but I'll just say my opinion anyways. I don't want to watch fat and ugly girls in anime, as shallow as that sound; it's just really unappealing even thinking about it. Can you imagine those kind of girls trying to do cute girls things? I think that would kill all my entertainment.
Jun 6, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2013
Where is the love?

Jun 6, 2014 6:01 PM

Nov 2013
Shiratori99 said:
Some mangakas like to create ugly and/or fat side characters. It depends on the artist of the original work.

This. Ya certainly don't see it so commonly in anime tho.
Jun 6, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2013
Why would anyone want to watch fat and ugly people on any kind of television when you can see them anytime you want in real life?
There's no need for all this tension.
Jun 6, 2014 6:16 PM

Oct 2012
Artists generally try to make the characters as appealing and as attractive as possible.

Jun 6, 2014 6:19 PM

Sep 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Majikkusesu said:
Why would anyone want to watch fat and ugly people on any kind of television when you can see them anytime you want in real life?
I don't know if this is your intention, but you do know that the phrasing of this sentence implies that you want to watch fat and ugly people in real life, right?

Let's just agree that what was written might be a bit ambiguous.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jun 6, 2014 6:23 PM

Sep 2013
Zer01 said:
It's been said dozens of times in this thread, but I'll just say my opinion anyways. I don't want to watch fat and ugly girls in anime, as shallow as that sound; it's just really unappealing even thinking about it. Can you imagine those kind of girls trying to do cute girls things? I think that would kill all my entertainment.

If they're being portrayed as sympathetic they're gonna get drawn cutesy too, so I don't see the contradiction.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jun 6, 2014 6:40 PM

Sep 2011
Aku no Hana disagrees. Bunch of ugly in one anime.
Jun 6, 2014 6:52 PM
Feb 2014
OriginANIME said:

They should've used the character design from the manga.

If nunally off code geass was fat and ugly i think that would have been perfect for the series
I only read books i have already read
Jun 6, 2014 6:59 PM

Jul 2013
PremiumCascade said:
OriginANIME said:

If nunally off code geass was fat and ugly i think that would have been perfect for the series

Dunno about that, she's a cute soft spoken imouto whos blind and a cripple, they weren't being subtle about evoking sympathy here
Jun 6, 2014 7:08 PM

Sep 2011
PremiumCascade said:
OriginANIME said:

Agree, the manga was one of my favorites and was very disappointed when I saw what they did with it.
Jun 6, 2014 7:38 PM

Dec 2013
Go to korea, almost no fat girl or ugly girl in your class
Most girls do the Cosmetic Surgery when they are really young, even 5 years old
Jun 6, 2014 8:17 PM

Jul 2012
real drive had some heavier characters
Jun 6, 2014 9:01 PM
May 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
What about AOTY 2013?

Most realistic anime ever honestly. They actually animate exactly how Japanese look in real life minus the retarded ass faces the characters make.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jun 6, 2014 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
Zer01 said:
Oh sorry but I watch anime for things like plot and character development so I could care less about cute girls doing cute things.
Jun 6, 2014 9:43 PM
May 2014
Alright then if I told you that a Yaoi story had a amazing plot and character devolpment would you still watch it? I sure as hell wouldn't
Jun 6, 2014 10:06 PM

Nov 2011
kikohunter said:
Alright then if I told you that a Yaoi story had a amazing plot and character devolpment would you still watch it? I sure as hell wouldn't
No I wouldn't. Not because it has gay guys in it but because I don't trust your opinion do to your crappy taste.
Jun 6, 2014 10:38 PM
May 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
kikohunter said:
No I wouldn't. Not because it has gay guys in it but because I don't trust your opinion do to your crappy taste.

Lol, ok big boy go cry to your mon about moe girls now.
Jun 6, 2014 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
moonnya said:
Go to korea, almost no fat girl or ugly girl in your class
Most girls do the Cosmetic Surgery when they are really young, even 5 years old

currently in korea, can 2nd this
Jun 7, 2014 12:10 AM

Jan 2011
How about Marutamachi from Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha

She isn't that fat though, easier to see when she's next to someone else.

MC in Fushigi Yuugi has an unnamed fat friend.
Jun 7, 2014 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
Coolspot said:
real drive had some heavier characters

I can vouch for this i.e. DEY THICK BREH
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jun 7, 2014 12:20 AM
Nov 2008
ReaperCreeper said:

she's a fucking cutie. holy shit, maximum cutie.
Jun 7, 2014 12:30 AM

Jan 2011
Heredity said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Hey she is, fuck that anime for trying to convince me otherwise.
Jun 7, 2014 12:49 AM

Nov 2012
One of the main character's friends in SoreMachi is hideous. And it's not just the art style, she is drawn absolutely ugly.
Jun 7, 2014 12:52 AM
Nov 2008
ReaperCreeper said:
Heredity said:

Hey she is, fuck that anime for trying to convince me otherwise.
i put that series on my ptw just because of her, thanks guy.
Jun 7, 2014 1:00 AM

May 2012
Heredity said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Gotta say, the way you worded that was quite creepy.
Jun 7, 2014 1:26 AM

Jan 2011
Boombawks said:
Heredity said:
i put that series on my ptw just because of her, thanks guy.
It's a good Slice of Life, she's a big BL fan in the anime lol

I recall her liking yuri, not BL, although I'm pretty sure she liked both anyway.
Jun 7, 2014 4:50 PM

Nov 2011
kikohunter said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Lol, ok big boy go cry to your mon about moe girls now.
What lol?
Jun 7, 2014 5:38 PM

Jul 2012
Chihayafuru - all the side characters aren't exactly the bishounen/bishoujos but they still had great personalities and were likable.

+1 Princess Jellyfish. Main issue was that all the "ugly" ones were seen as weirdos. And yeah, that girl from Cross Game.
Jun 7, 2014 5:54 PM

Jun 2012
Majikkusesu said:

Exactly what I was thinking lol
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Jun 7, 2014 6:25 PM

Oct 2013
You would almost have to go out of your way to make an anime character "ugly". Anime is by definition a very bright, vibrant, and visually appealing art style
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Jun 7, 2014 6:57 PM

Apr 2013
Hmmm let's see, guess you're right
Jun 7, 2014 9:14 PM

Nov 2011
Link_of_Hyrule said:
You would almost have to go out of your way to make an anime character "ugly". Anime is by definition a very bright, vibrant, and visually appealing art style
No anime is by definition a Japanese cartoon.

KillJoyMafia said:
Do you wish to watch something that is ugly?
Do you wish to be an ignorant person?
Jun 7, 2014 9:33 PM
Dec 2013
Fat people are ugly, that is it.
Jun 7, 2014 9:42 PM
Jan 2009
Well, that nun in Queens Blade is arguably fat with her chest size.
Jun 7, 2014 10:01 PM

Nov 2012
Personally, I feel that there isn't enough detail in anime faces to show whether the character is attractive or not. Everyone just looks average to me, with the only variation being body type.

There aren't many fat females in anime, which is a little sad, but that's pretty much how it is in Japan IRL.
Jun 8, 2014 12:24 AM

Jul 2012
Diversity and the likes is really terrible when it comes to anime if you think about it.

A large portion of anime girls are skinny with the same small faces but mixed with different height/hip/boob sizes. It's not very hard to take the face of one anime girl and put it on the face of a totally different one from a whole 'nother show and get similar results.

What makes this worse is that this isn't as much as an issue for male characters at all. Male characters can be chubby, have different noses, be ugly, have different face types, different body builds, all of that -- but finding that in an anime girl, namely a protagonist, is a rare sight. People are perfectly fine with drawing males that aren't necessarily attractive but females are more often then not given same-face syndrome.
Jun 8, 2014 12:25 AM
Nov 2008
ihateeveryone said:
Diversity and the likes is really terrible when it comes to anime if you think about it.

A large portion of anime girls are skinny with the same small faces but mixed with different height/hip/boob sizes. It's not very hard to take the face of one anime girl and put it on the face of a totally different one from a whole 'nother show and get similar results.

What makes this worse is that this isn't as much as an issue for male characters at all. Male characters can be chubby, have different noses, be ugly, have different face types, different body builds, all of that -- but finding that in an anime girl, namely a protagonist, is a rare sight. People are perfectly fine with drawing males that aren't necessarily attractive but females are more often then not given same-face syndrome.
eh, go watch an anime aimed at fujoshi and try to spot the 'ugly' male.
Jun 8, 2014 12:46 AM

Aug 2012
Mostly, no, but once in a while I do see "fat" girls. They aren't really fat, just slightly overweight - but you can see the obvious difference between some of the other characters.
Jun 8, 2014 11:58 AM

Jul 2012
Heredity said:
ihateeveryone said:

eh, go watch an anime aimed at fujoshi and try to spot the 'ugly' male.
Oh trust me, I know that there are plenty of anime out there that bring out generic, conventionally attractive males. But males in anime are more likely to be given unique and sometimes unattractive designs compared to females.

Some examples:

It's overall more likely for male characters, even male, to have more diverse body shapes, types, and faces than females.
Jun 8, 2014 12:02 PM

May 2014
LOl I just noticed. There are no fat girls, only slim girls with silm thighs.. hehe. Obviously this sells better than fat and ugly girls, but there are a lot of ugly/fat/chibi male characters
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.