Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 27, 2013 7:07 PM

Mar 2012
the anime went like this for me: nananananananananananannaanDUNDUNDUNDUNDUN...End.......for the vast majority of people who read this here's an explanation: the anime was pretty slow and very laid back until Isara's death, and then from that episode and every single episode after it, it was a constant cluster fuck of twists and deaths, and betrayals, and supernatural elements that were very much absent in the first 16 episodes. The addition of this "Valkyrur" race, along with the Darcens, was perhaps the most unexplored element this anime brought to the table. The ending was beyond rushed, i loved how squad 7 at the conclusion of episode 22 was wondering if they could trust alicia anymore, then at the very opening of the following episode, literally just a minute into their already resolved to go find her and fight with her again, after having really just driven her off "accidently". Truth be told I could criticize this anime into the depths of the ground, but I really enjoyed it up until Faldio shot her, thats when I felt the show lost it's luster and just ended up being a cluster of drama and confusion, the final two episodes especially when you really learn about Maximillian's intentions...even after having finishing it, and 2 hours later coming back to write an opinion, I still question myself...did I start a new anime after episode 21?...who knows....Final Score: 6/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 31, 2013 10:55 AM

Apr 2008
Overall it was really good show, even if some points were under-exploited. It is one of the few shows that kept me longing to watching another episode. I loved the battles between Selveria and Alicia.
Welkin"s character slowly grew on me, mostly because he reminded me a bit of Yang Wenli from LOGH, with his excentric tactics and cool attitude. I was sensing the LOGH vibe when Maximilian appeared as he first remind me of Reinhard. Unfortunately, he was not an interesting character after all.

Welkin lacked the abililty to take the decisive but painful decisions to win some battles. This role was done by Faldio which for that aspect and for his genuine feelings and careful ways, I liked a lot too.
I do regret his death has been so unsignificant in the last episode, this a big miss for the show.
The other big miss is the lack of informations behind the history of Darcsen and Walkyries, I wished they could reveal more abouth the truth Maximilian told, and the reason why there no more than 2 descendants from the Walkyries side. We are also given little information about the political context as well.

But still, I give it a 8, because I did enjoy the show.
Sep 5, 2013 8:14 PM

Oct 2012
Faldiooooooooo! poor guy.
Oct 15, 2013 3:13 PM
Mar 2013
They really had me going for the first half of the series. It was full of light-hearted, funny moments and then WAM. Every thing goes to hell in the second half.

We have battles raging, people dying, strategy meetings, more people dying, love triangle action, valkyurs dying, fake princesses, nuclear explosions, and yes, more people dying!!!

At least Jaeger survived, that makes me happy :) But I didn't like how they didn't explain that. And I was expecting some sort of closure with Faldio.

Whew, this anime turned out to be way more dramatic than I thought it would be. Time to cool off with some Servant x Service! See ya!
Oct 20, 2013 8:05 PM

Sep 2013
Faldio died expected, but still sad :(

That laugh as Maximilian fell, plain old creepy.

Finally they kissed :D

Jaan's face when Largo was with the captain :]

Jaeger lived :D

Good ending, the end song was really sweet the only thing that could of made it better is if Rosie sang it.
AggronOct 20, 2013 8:10 PM
Nov 6, 2013 5:19 PM
Mar 2012
6/10.

If you check my list, you'll see that this is on the low end of how I score anime, and it's disappointing because I really wanted to like it more. It started of really well.

1. For me it was an intriguing premise as I haven't watched a war strategy anime before. I liked that aspect of it.

2. Jaeger and Faldio are great smooth pimp characters that I tend to like. I know everyone hates Faldio, but I like him.

3. Great animation and lusch scenery.

The following just prevented it form being an easy 8 or 9.

1. MAJOR points deduction for no one noticing or caring that Faldio died. Amazed that writers did that, made ending seem more empty for me. That is just a mindboggling oversight.

2. Welkins sudden turn from bumbling, eccentric happy dude to angsty, withdrawn guy. This started even before Isara's death, so that can't be used as the excuse.

3. Selvaria and Alicia back story thrown in as a footnote. At least it wasn't completely ignored like Faldio, but that should've been something central to the ending.

4. The dragonballziazation of the last few episodes. Ugh. This show degraded a lot after Isara's death.

5. No backstory for too many characters. We didn't find out enough about what was driving the characters. I know you can't do everyone, but even relatively main ones like Largo, or Faldio's assistant who had a crush on Isara (that I can't remember his name supports my point). The handling of Rosie was a welcome exception.

6. Two-bit villain. A villain should either really be hated, or empathized with. Maximillian is bland and generic though.

7. The soundtrack seemed too be turned too low.
superseiyanNov 7, 2013 6:56 AM
Mar 3, 2014 7:58 AM

Mar 2008
The final boss fight felt unnecessary, but I suppose it was in the game, like a lot of things. A lot of good in this show, some gets smudged over by the pacing. It's a shame the characterisations fell into genericness during the final run.

T'was a steady ride.
Mar 15, 2014 12:08 AM

Apr 2011
It's funny how nobody gave a fuck about Faldio's death

anyway, this thing had pretty good ideas but since it's a video game I wasn't expecting to much out of it and it indeed didn't deliver too much.

I also would like to know how that guy survived the point blank shot (is he going to be in the next games?)

don't know if I'll give this a 5/10 or a 6/10, I'll stick with 6 for the moment cuz the theme and settings were somewhat interesting.
Apr 28, 2014 9:06 AM
Apr 2014
Valaskjalf said:

I also would like to know how that guy survived the point blank shot (is he going to be in the next games?)

If you mean Jäger, well, the anime doesn't follow the game events too much. In the end of the anime, you can see Jäger walking away in the railway station, but in the game, he never was by Maximilian's side on that giant tank. He got defeated somewhere near Vasel I think, and disappeared. In the third game, it's shown that he dodged the imperial patrols by the border and took refuge in former Fhirald, which used to be his homeland.
May 30, 2014 1:28 PM

Aug 2008
loved this serie shame for selveria
Jun 22, 2014 12:21 PM

Sep 2013
That was a rather cliche ending but this was a decent anime overall.

Im giving this a 7/10.

AsianKungFuJun 22, 2014 12:35 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 6, 2014 10:41 PM
Jul 2012
I really like this type anime. The one thing that bothers me is why didn't the writer of this anime keep it just plain military? There was no need for magical powers what not. Actually it would've made the anime a whole lot better without the valkyrian power aspect. It made the story almost child-like. Overall I did like the romance. 8/10
Sep 8, 2014 3:09 AM

Jun 2014
A MUST WATCH AFTER FINISHING THE WHOLE SERIES... a continuation of the ending..
ENJOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOnIGuKNcs

Sep 16, 2014 10:07 AM
Nov 2008
For someone who has never played the games, I did not enjoy this series. Perhaps I was expecting more of a strategy-based war anime than a soapy romance story. The whole story (with exception of romance) just lost focus halfway and I just held on to complete the series for pure entertainment & laughs. Logic no longer worked and I was there to enjoy the ride courtesy of Lelouch.

Where was Edelweiss (which I thought should be one of the main focus of the squad) when we needed it? Come on, why didn't anyone care a shit about Faldio? How did the rest of the squad manage to look fresh & good (or how did everyone manage to make it out given their circumstances) while waiting for Welkin & Alica?

My initial score was 6, which is considered an average for me, but I gradually dropped it along the way until it ended up a 3/10 -- my lowest ever for a completed anime. Beh.
cerulean18Sep 16, 2014 10:13 AM
Nov 24, 2014 9:46 PM

Jan 2014
kerrynutz said:
A MUST WATCH AFTER FINISHING THE WHOLE SERIES... a continuation of the ending..
ENJOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOnIGuKNcs

Sir, you deserve a medal.
Dec 15, 2014 8:34 AM
Oct 2014
Was rooting for Selvaria x Jaeger all along but too bad she was so set on being the lapdog for this cold boring son of a fuck (minus the voice) :(
It was all going good with the military aspect (except the Edelweiss being a bit of an asspull as the OP tank everyone wished they had, which was then surpassed by the dreadnought that popped out of nowhere) but then first Selvaria and then Alicia (Max tried too) shat on all of that with blue laser beams... Understandably so because of the game but it almost outdoes all the good work the series did with making the military battles and tactics somewhat realistic.
Mar 8, 2015 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
The story was not as bad as I was expecting from everyone who kept saying the anime was awful.

It hit all the right emotional points in the game even if it did pointlessly extend some parts of it, there was also more characterization put into most of the characters that are shown from the game

However there was a little lack of closure and a feeling of the story being rushed because it ended very abruptly. It's great the one of the OVA shorts did this though.
9/10

Now I can replay the game again :)
Mar 31, 2015 11:35 PM

Aug 2013
I hated Faldio so I was whatever about it. I was going to give it a 9/10, which isn't that high for me, my average is around 8.3 or 8.4, but the forced love triangle really distracted me from the rest of the story, so -1 for that. 8/10
Apr 12, 2015 2:50 PM

Sep 2013
The ending left a bad taste in my mouth. Wish they'd at least acknowledge Faldio's sacrifice even if it was just a scene of his funeral or something. He didn't even get a response to his confession. >>
Also, Maximilian was kind of a shallow character. Wish they'd have gone into his background some more.
Aug 11, 2015 7:48 AM

Oct 2012
Lol poor Jann
EdyxHomer!!
W-wait Jaeger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy :)
Marina❤ (sniper with trap setting skill)
Karl, the engineer but never showed his engineer skills
Aisha, the brave loli
Suzie Evans, the princess
ZakaxRosie!!

Tbh for me the ending just not really great
I mean I enjoyed the entire series like the game
But the ending, last battle... The game really did a great job
Well at least the story isn't that faraway with the game
So, recommended!
"Signature removed"
Sep 5, 2015 10:01 PM
Jun 2015
inn0centdem0n said:
kyaaaaaaaaa! i LoveLoveLove this Anime..!!
They didn't really show that he was dead, but well, it was understood anyway, but still!! Argh! i was shoping in the end, alicia or welkins will mention his name or whatever, but they did not.. *sigH! Anyway! Faldio~ you're always be in our hearts! :DDDD

I was thinking Faldio might have been MIA instead of KIA, just like I guess Jaegar would have been. There's still hope, right? If you don't believe in Faldio being MIA, then who will? :)

Anyway, the anime's a 10/10 for me. Great character development, although some minor characters like Marina got so little screen time (I doubt she'd mind anyway ;) ). The OSTs fit the atmosphere, and are definitely 'iPod-worthy'. But I agree that the ending feels a tad rushed.

Now, I feel like switching on that dusty PS3 of mine to play though Valkyria Chronicles once more.
Dec 24, 2015 6:41 PM
Jan 2010
8.5/10 i only wish that they invest more time in battles ,but i know that it costs much. Ending was great, and i'm kinda annoyed with amount of kids who do not realize why Faldio had to die, and we can even say that there is a reason why they didn't show aftermath of his death (because going as silent hero was his way to obtain redemption) but i guess they could add few seconds of grief for fans who dont use their brain too much :)

Anyway, great ending, even better than i expected, closure was awesome, and yeah, only thing i would like to see that i didn't was their kid.

This is really underrated anime, and just shows how important it is that anime have 24+ episodes imo
Mar 19, 2016 11:58 PM

May 2013
That was a pretty rushed ending. As for the series as a whole I appreciate how they added more character conflict but the fact that they cut out a lot of the key plot points from the game is pretty terrible.

Still. Good that a person can watch this and get a fresh experience.
Mar 24, 2016 8:01 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, I just noticed Jaeger walking past when rewatching.

I'm gonna buy the game.
9/10.
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Apr 30, 2016 12:08 AM

Mar 2014
Squad 7 , taking their final mission together !! The Heroes of the War :D
Salute to Faldio and everyone . they did what they thinks is best for everything .
The End of the war between the Empire and Gallia . Truce of resolution ~ .
Romance ~.. and the "Power of Love" <3 . Welkin and Alicia ~ !! all others too .
Perfect episode for a great ending ~ !!!

I heard the game was much more enjoyable in terms of overall appeal .
It may be true . Considering the fact that I have not played it yet .
But also , the value of watching its anime adaptation which I could only describe as : "Mediocrity turned into Gold ." It was undoubtedly ENJOYABLE <3
I really would love to see more of this show in the near future ~ :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 6:11 PM

Jul 2014
Call it a guilty pleasure, but I somewhat enjoyed watching Maximillian just stomp over his comrades just for the sake of moving forward with his own selfish agenda, it's the most power-hungry, malicious rendition of the Commander yet. It feels forced to lose Jaegar in a flash, yeah, but it shows his conviction.

Again, the fight scene was sub-par. The entire encounter felt monotonous as hell as Maximillian kept saying the same "last words" such as "Die", "It's Over", "Game Over", "This is the end", etc.. It was grating on the ears. In fact, the entire scene with the 3 on the Marmota was simply ineffective, as it was filled of all these trivial contrivances I lost interest by the end. Him dashing through the fire, the dissipation of Alicia's energy, Welkin's insipid love rhetoric to calm Alicia down, it all syncs together in harmony, but to the wrong effect. It too blatantly screams "LOVE TRIUMPHS ALL".

Also, did anyone notice the recurrent theme in VC, the whole "my parents were absent/died when I was a kid" thing? This is present in almost all main characters that had their background explored to some extent: Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Isara, Selvaria, and even the Top Dog Max himself. Is Europa some kind of place where tragedy is imperative to it's social development?... this is rambling.

Overall, a 6 from me, if I am so inclined to numerically rate this. Without considering the game, VC is generally well done, but is too inconsistent with it's quality, and a lack of emphasis on it's war motif in favor of a more intimate narrative is bound to turn some people off. When there's an excellent series of episodes (16-19, cabin episode), we get the shits (basically everything from Naggiar onward).
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Mar 30, 2017 11:14 PM
Aug 2016
shiiit faldio, i though he get better in the anime it just the same, bullshit heroic death just go die by yourself no need to inform anyone so your dead look like for other bullshit, trash shit. in the game he is shit, in the anime he even playing with alicia heart, shiit, trash everywhere he go.
anyone know if there is any real mission in the game? where faldio the enemies? i'm not statisfied just by deploying and sending him to enemy troops to go die.
May 14, 2017 11:24 PM

Jun 2011
The second half was terrible, too much emo for me to handle.

>someone dies?
>let me be emotionless/stunned for 2 days 3 hours 4 minutes and 5 seconds
>got talk-no-jutsu-ed
>genki

Rosie's hatred for Darksen (or whatever you called it) was a bit too generic for me,
>fam killed by darksen
>i hate darksen
>i meet darksen
>darksen was pitiful
>i feel bad for darksen
>i forgive them, lord i was wrong

First half had great set up, second half couldn't follow through. Maximillion was lame, pathetic, waste of a character spot and doesn't deserve that valkyrie's loyalty. Speaking of valkyrie, not a fan of that, they were totally overpowered that basically it's a one-man show by the end of the series.

Darksen had no other purpose than to display the theme of racism, unless I forgot something.

The love triangle was terrible, was Faldio like.. "hoes over bros"? The bro-ship between Faldio and Welkin hasn't been the same ever since that jealousy shit interfered. Even worse when it's not supposed to be like that in the game.

This could have been one of the best of its kind that I have seen in a while, unfortunately it just fell off the cliff in the latter half. Disappointing.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 27, 2017 9:35 PM

Feb 2014
Faldio? Who is Faldio? LoL

Maxilimian cliche wish and reason for his actions "I WANT POWER!!" and mimimi. Seriously? -.-" *sigh*

And I'm not satisfied with this ending... and it was pretty rushed.

I was in doubt about giving this a 7 or 6, but this ending decided my score:

6/10
TechOtakuJul 27, 2017 9:41 PM
Nov 25, 2017 4:34 PM

Aug 2008
On a rewatch I just found the characters and story to both be pretty weak, gave this a 6 in the end instead of the 8 I gave it originally. Relationships poorly done and the war poorly done. Threw concepts out there and did nothing with them. Disappointing really. Disappointed with my younger self in liking this as I used to.

More detail into Sevaria and Alicia young childhood in that Valkyria research center? Nope. One that annoyed me the most but Rosie and her hatred toward Darcsen was abandoned and most of the squad were background cutouts anyway who were of course shielded from any harm. Asara being the token death to tug on heartstrings but everyone else despite having cloth uniforms were wearing the strongest of plot armor. Bah.

gswelcomeNov 25, 2017 4:39 PM
Nov 29, 2017 11:03 PM
Aug 2014
Kinda sucks that we stopped seeing Welkin's battle strategies that utilized his knowledge of biology in the last half. What a lame ass villain. Even after 20 or so episodes we barely even know the other half of squad 7 (dem cannon fodders).

Well at least they didn't kill off...Alicia (only been 5 minutes but I already forgot her name, had to look at someone else's post).

6/10

Edit: They hid the true ending on the last Special of Senjou no Valkyria: SenVal Theater.
derprumeNov 29, 2017 11:34 PM
Apr 25, 2020 6:31 PM

Mar 2019
For me as someone who have played the game, the anime is OK. Though I still think the video game has better story, 2x or 3x better.

What I hate the most is the unnecessary love triangle thing. It disrespects Faldio's character in some way, and it affects Welkin's nature boy character as well, which is calm, composed, having no minds about love, and full of clever ideas. It also makes Alicia's character looks weaker, letting herself get dragged down by feelings.

The exploitation of Alicia's power is OK I guess. It's a welcome change from the game, which refrain from using her power much. The valkyrur battles are also enjoyable.

The battles are OK. Though some things doesn't make sense, like some characters using weapons not suited to their classes, e.g. Largo the tank killer barely uses his antiarmor lance, and once he does, he never shoot it at tanks, ever. For someone who have played the game, this bothers me a lot.

Aside from the absence of Zaka's tank Shamrock, the squad 7 rarely uses Edelweiss, which is the signature of squad 7, and the culmination of Isara's love.

The killing of some characters from the game is acceptable, I guess. It's a war afterall, and there's even an achievement in the game which required us to let one of our squad members die. But I would never pursue that achievement. I won't let any of my comrades die.

The second opening movie is killing the potential revelation of Alicia's power. It's OK for the ones already played the game, but for the ones never play the game, it's a massive spoiler.

I gotta admit, how the anime delivers the feelings of each emotional scene is decent. I cried everytime a character died, especially Isara's death.

Overall, the anime started out good, but kept going downhill until the end.
Jun 10, 2020 8:13 PM
Oct 2019
I enjoyed each and every episodes but the ending seems kinda rushed. Glad to see Alicia and Welkin together :3 and other other members of the squad 7. Maximilian looked like a total looser at the end. I can't believe he messed up like that...lmao.
Wanted to see more of Welkin's battle strategies...but ah well. The series was pretty good... I'll give it a 8.

Wait Jaegar is not dead!!!
Aug 12, 2020 5:10 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty disappointing boss fight but a pretty emotional ending. It really made me wish the side characters were developed a lil more regardless I still felt emotional seeing them go home. RIP Faldio an expected death but no this way :(
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

May 17, 2022 11:26 PM

Nov 2021
It was kinda rushed.. and they didn't say anything related to Faldio whether he died or not. The squad forgot?? jeez... Jaeger is still alive tho good thing...

Feb 13, 2023 5:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The ending is similiar as of the game, and I loved the game ending, showing where everyone is with a epilogue, shame we didnt get to see little Isara (Alicia's daughter), so the game still gives better closure, but tbh, I really disliked the final fight, it was just retarded, suddently that asshole powers up like that, felt dumb, and they gone with that here too, looked weird...
Hella rushed final episodes too, I was praising the anime like 5-10 episodes ago saying it was properly adapting everything, having original stuff to give more context (like Alicia and Selvaria's childhood scenes), but the changes made like Alicia only joining the squad in the final episode and other small details... yeah.
Very solid adaptation otherwise, still managed to convey a lot of what the game was about (despite Selvaria's death having more impact on the game), and I enjoyed the OST of the anime too, even OP2/ED2, was not skipping them much.
Not that much the feeling of war, but more like that this were regular people living regular lifes that were forced to sacrifice a lot and overcame, so that by the end they could go back the normal lifes they all cherished, this is done properly and with the extra few minutes for this adaptation, I m glad they included those scenes, great closure IMO.

Contrary to many people I never felt the game was a masterpiece, but I recall when it was first launched in 2009, only playing it much later, definitly lived up to the hype being a good surprise with the story and such a good ending, this anime could have gone way worst, quite pleased with it at the end of everything, not as good as source, but had improvements over it, so it isnt MUCH worst than it either.
8.3/10 = 8

ShiroiRyu said:
Ah..
Decent... And overall, the series is decent...
Likked Jaeger is not dead but they don't explain how he survive. :)

http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2026%20-%20Large%2037.jpg

WTF, he survived??? I have searched through ep26 and dunno where is proof of that, I think he is dead...
What bothered me was that he dies like that, whereas in the game there is a cool fight and he goes out like a boss...

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, indeed, at the very end, during the trainstation, when that girl in cute attire (Edy), is pinching the dude's check, walking behind them, I m happy he survived!
I though he had died on the game, but it seems he also survived, GREAT, he was a character that definitly deserved to live, shame for Selvaria, but sadely for her, she pledge her soul to the devil, because even if it was my selfish motives, he still helped her when she needed it the most (poor girl)...
PlaycoolFeb 13, 2023 5:49 AM
Pages (4) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.